Half time break should be?

• Total voters

keithrichards

Premiership Player
Dec 11, 2008
Shepparton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Whoever is suggesting the game is too long, should go back a few years and look at some games from the early 90s.

The big changes I've noticed is that the umpires let the game go way too long before a ball up is called. If they called it as soon as the ball became stationary in a dispute, and then not wait for all the players to crowd around, see who is nominating to go up for the ball up, then let players know where they will be exiting, we would save at least the 5mins. It will also reduce the number of secondary ball ups.

Add to this the boundary throw ups and we immediately have a shorter game.

Then reduce the shet shot clock to 20 seconds (none of the platers having a set shot in the 89 GF took more than 20 seconds. Players are now waiting for 30sec, even if they are ready to go after 20sec. Not to mention the additional time for all the new free kicks...

It seems the AFL's own new rules and interpretations are causing the game to be slower...hmm...best introduce another rule!
How does that shorten the game?

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Wow, almost 49% have voted for "gawn.....keep it da bluddy hell the way it is"

Shocked

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
The clock keeps ticking while they are taking their shot - hence why players take the full 30 secs - waste time
Exactly. If they only take 10s, they don't stop the game for another 20s to wait for the clock to count down

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Go back 30 seconds after a goal - 24 goals x 15 secs - 6 minutes saved
No ruck nominations, umpire throws the ball or boundary umpire throws the ball in when they are ready - 80 x 5 secs - 6-7 minutes saved
Goal review limit 45 seconds. Umpire signals immediately instead of everyone having to wait 5-10 seconds to look at the scoreboard - Maybe 2 minutes a game

There is 12 minutes a game/3 minutes a quarter saved quickly. The reason why games take longer and longer is because of what the AFL has put in place over the past 10 years. Get rid of that and it will quickly shorten the games

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Go back 30 seconds after a goal - 24 goals x 15 secs - 6 minutes saved
No ruck nominations, umpire throws the ball or boundary umpire throws the ball in when they are ready - 80 x 5 secs - 4 minutes saved
Goal review limit 45 seconds. Umpire signals immediately instead of everyone having to wait 5-10 seconds to look at the scoreboard - Maybe 2 minutes a game

There is 12 minutes a game/3 minutes a quarter saved quickly. The reason why games take longer and longer is because of what the AFL has put in place over the past 10 years. Get rid of that and it will quickly shorten the games

'Decision on scoreboard' - we wait for the advertisement before the decision - but we need to lessen the length of a game.......

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
But it doesnt shorten the game........shortens the time it takes to have a shot, but doesnt shorten the length of the game.
Huh? We aren't talking about playing time, but duration including breaks

If a player takes 10s , is the next centre bounce delayed 20s? I think not

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast

If a dude has a shot for goal with say, 16:30 left on the clock and uses his full 30 seconds - the ball will go back to the middle and play will restart with 16:00 on the clock. With all the s**t they do between goals the whole process might take 90 seconds.

But if a dude has a shot for goal with 16:30 left on the clock and uses only 20 seconds - the ball will go back to the middle and play will restart with 16:10 on the clock. With all the s**t they do between goals the whole process might only take 80 seconds - but there's 10 additional seconds that still need to be played.

So it doesn't shorten anything.

If anything, at least whilst the guy is standing there milking the 'shot clock' there aren't any stoppages and the clock is actually ticking away.

keithrichards

Premiership Player
Dec 11, 2008
Shepparton
AFL Club
Melbourne

I know others have already explained, but just so you hear it again...

A quarter is 20 minutes plus time on.

The clock is always ticking while a players attempts to kick a goal.

If a player takes 10 seconds to kick the goal, or takes 30 seconds to kick the goal, the length of the quarter is still 20 minutes plus time on.

Turboman1994

Club Legend
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 24, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I’d say some players would be on board with this minermising the need to stay warm

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Apparently CONFIRMED AS 15 MINUTE BREAKS IN 2020.

While this works better for my viewing experience, and I actually suggested 15 minutes was a good happy medium, I imagine that there will be a lot of fans at the game who don't like this. Despite it working for me as an individual, once again the AFL have said * you to the fan experience and the fan feedback and based this decision on money and the broadcasters, so this administration simply doesn't care, and in my mind needs to go ASAP.

I think 15 minutes is perfect for the purpose of the break, but some at the game are really going to struggle.
*The Auskickers at halftime should not be a consideration for a pro sports league, especially since this can be played before the game if needed, or just shortened slightly.

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This 15 minute break is a bit of a slap in the face to the traditional footballing experience for many, would be interesting to see if there's a decline in overall memberships etc on the back of this

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
If they got rid of nominating rucks at balls ups and throws ins they probably shave off 10 minutes.
Its such an easy thing to solve too. Only 1 player per team can contest the ruck, if a team has 2 contesting players, that team is penalised. No need to fluff around with nominations and we still get 1 on 1 ruck contests.

Neale4brownlow

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Whoever is suggesting the game is too long, should go back a few years and look at some games from the early 90s.

The big changes I've noticed is that the umpires let the game go way too long before a ball up is called. If they called it as soon as the ball became stationary in a dispute, and then not wait for all the players to crowd around, see who is nominating to go up for the ball up, then let players know where they will be exiting, we would save at least the 5mins. It will also reduce the number of secondary ball ups.

Add to this the boundary throw ups and we immediately have a shorter game.

Then reduce the shet shot clock to 20 seconds (none of the platers having a set shot in the 89 GF took more than 20 seconds. Players are now waiting for 30sec, even if they are ready to go after 20sec. Not to mention the additional time for all the new free kicks...

It seems the AFL's own new rules and interpretations are causing the game to be slower...hmm...best introduce another rule!

Agree on the shot clock, it's a shocker to watch. Seems to be the norm now that the player is ready at ~ 15seconds and then starts taking a not so subtle look at the shot clock to see what he's got left to milk.

Only to wait his full 30 then chip it 15m to a teammate who uses another 30. Really frustrating to see a game end in this manner (which is becoming more and more frequent unless the umpire throws in a questionable 'not fifteen' off a 25meter kick to try break it up).

I would think if a player nominates to take a shot and uses his full 30 he should have to have a shot or it goes back to opposition (eg. basketball shot clock rules).

But then... new rules have only ever made the game worse the past few years.

Last edited:

Neale4brownlow

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Apparently CONFIRMED AS 15 MINUTE BREAKS IN 2020.

While this works better for my viewing experience, and I actually suggested 15 minutes was a good happy medium, I imagine that there will be a lot of fans at the game who don't like this. Despite it working for me as an individual, once again the AFL have said fu** you to the fan experience and the fan feedback and based this decision on money and the broadcasters, so this administration simply doesn't care, and in my mind needs to go ASAP.

I think 15 minutes is perfect for the purpose of the break, but some at the game are really going to struggle.
*The Auskickers at halftime should not be a consideration for a pro sports league, especially since this can be played before the game if needed, or just shortened slightly.

Will be interested if they sneak in 3 ads after every goal instead of 2 now to use up that '5minutes saved'.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Agree on the shot clock, it's a shocker to watch. Seems to be the norm now that the player is ready at ~ 15seconds and then starts taking a not so subtle look at the shot clock to see what he's got left to milk.

Only to wait his full 30 then chip it 15m to a teammate who uses another 30. Really frustrating to see a game end in this manner (which is becoming more and more frequent unless the umpire throws in a questionable 'not fifteen' off a 25meter kick to try break it up).

I would think if a player nominates to take a shot and uses his full 30 he should have to have a shot or it goes back to opposition (eg. basketball shot clock rules).

But then... new rules have only ever made the game worse the past few years.
Totally agree. Players should all have the same amount of time to kick the ball, regardless of where they are on the field.

If someone says they are taking a shot, if it doesn't score, then it's a free to the opposition where the ball landed, just like OOF. It'll stop players using the 30s without taking a shot that's for sure

Back