Slater v Thurston v Smith V Lockyer. What order do you rank them?

Remove this Banner Ad

geez

I watched pretty much Lockyer's entire career (started watching in 05), i think there has been better than him. It might be splititng hairs but I would have Thurston, Fittler, Johns. Lockyer was certainly high quality.

Re the grand final - Thurston was good, probably not man of the match, but who cares, he came through when it mattered, and he was outstanding through the season. His game in the prelim against Melbourne was utterly dominant, exceptional performance, and that is a side that doesn't get near the grand final without him.

The Shane Perry comment is a dumb one, considering Lockyer was alongside him. Sides have gone ok without top class halves before (Dragons under Bennett the most recent good example, brisbane in 06, Bulldogs halves haven't been great outside one year of Kimmorley since Sherwin was at his best) but a good halfback will make an average backline a lot, lot better.

From my perspective, lockyer might have had a bit more speed in his prime, but I would tick thurston in pretty much every other category.
Game management
passing
kicking
defence

I would have thurston ahead.

That said running the footy and speed is a big thing, I just think lockyer was a gun when qld were s**t, and then some really good players came through - thurston, smith, slater, hodges, thaiday... and lockyer gets the credit for turning them around.

As proud NSWman I have never supported either player state or club, but certainly thurston has worried me more, coming up against him for nsw and the raiders then lockyer did.

geez

I watched pretty much Lockyer's entire career (started watching in 05), i think there has been better than him. It might be splititng hairs but I would have Thurston, Fittler, Johns. Lockyer was certainly high quality.

Re the grand final - Thurston was good, probably not man of the match, but who cares, he came through when it mattered, and he was outstanding through the season. His game in the prelim against Melbourne was utterly dominant, exceptional performance, and that is a side that doesn't get near the grand final without him.

The Shane Perry comment is a dumb one, considering Lockyer was alongside him. Sides have gone ok without top class halves before (Dragons under Bennett the most recent good example, brisbane in 06, Bulldogs halves haven't been great outside one year of Kimmorley since Sherwin was at his best) but a good halfback will make an average backline a lot, lot better.
tbh, Paul Simpkins should get the credit for 2006.

Still maintain

1. Lockyer (dominated 2 positions)
2. Smith (best hooker I've seen, and dad who is a bit older says he's the best he's seen)
3. Thurston
4. Lazarus (the bloke who is sort of forgotten in this, best front rower in the last 2 decades)
5. Wally Lewis
6. Johns
7.Thurson ( not going to split Johns and Thurston, you can flip them if you want)
8. Clyde (one of my favourites, instrumental in a dominant Canberra side in the 90's)
9. Slater (best pure fullback)
10. Renouf (sensational centre, best finishing centre in this period imo)

Notes:

1. No Inglis, don't think he's really been worlds best in any position aside from maybe a purple patch year
2. Clyde over Fittler just.
3. Cronk is behind those Thurston and Johns, you can probably add in Allan Langer and Ricky Stuart
4. Had Steve Walters (Canberra) as my 11th choice

whoa...
Still maintain

1. Lockyer (dominated 2 positions)
2. Smith (best hooker I've seen, and dad who is a bit older says he's the best he's seen)
3. Thurston
4. Lazarus (the bloke who is sort of forgotten in this, best front rower in the last 2 decades)
5. Wally Lewis
6. Johns
7.Thurson ( not going to split Johns and Thurston, you can flip them if you want)
8. Clyde (one of my favourites, instrumental in a dominant Canberra side in the 90's)
9. Slater (best pure fullback)
10. Renouf (sensational centre, best finishing centre in this period imo)

Notes:

1. No Inglis, don't think he's really been worlds best in any position aside from maybe a purple patch year
2. Clyde over Fittler just.
3. Cronk is behind those Thurston and Johns, you can probably add in Allan Langer and Ricky Stuart
4. Had Steve Walters (Canberra) as my 11th choice
wow.big call on inglis...3 premierships...soo all time leading try scorer...played multiple positions...absolute pleasure to watch

whoa...

wow.big call on inglis...3 premierships...soo all time leading try scorer...played multiple positions...absolute pleasure to watch

Premierships are a team game, not going to pick someone just because they won some premierships. He’s great to watch but I can’t think of a period where he was the greatest in that said position. His versatility probably counts against him to a degree on my list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Premierships are a team game, not going to pick someone just because they won some premierships. He’s great to watch but I can’t think of a period where he was the greatest in that said position. His versatility probably counts against him to a degree on my list.
absolutey owned NSW for 6-7 years,no body could touch him imo : ) but each to theyre own

absolutey owned NSW for 6-7 years,no body could touch him imo : ) but each to theyre own

Was more Thurston, Smith, etc that dominated NSW personally and I go for QLD. Inglis was very good though. For the record, I'd have Inglis in the 14-20 range, so not putting him down that much.

your a hard man to please..i'll give ya that

These lists are so subjective, my 10 is never the same as yours, won't be the same as anyone else's. Think there are 5-6 that are "locks" then your 7-10 is tricky.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back