Current Trial Slavery - Couple Jailed Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

This is ghastly. A Melbourne couple found guilty of secretly enslaving a woman in their suburban home for close to a decade have been jailed for their "crime against humanity". She was burned with boiling water and beaten with frozen chicken.

Weighing only 40kgs, she was left lying on the floor in a puddle of her own urine while Mrs. Kannan took her kids to a school concert. The elderly woman was later admitted to hospital under a fake name.

The couple's victim, who cannot be named, originally came to Australia to work for them, and was able to return to India both times.

But on her third visit in 2007, she was enslaved by the Kannans and forced to cook, clean and care for the couple's children for eight years. She was effectively paid about $3.39 per day.

Prosecutors now want the court to order the couple to repay the woman for years of servitude.

Justice Champion said the woman allowed the couple to maintain their jobs and their lifestyle, including holidays overseas.

In 2015, the victim's family became increasingly concerned about her welfare and, when they were unable to contact her, Victoria Police conducted a welfare check.

But the officer who went to the Kannan's house was told by the couple that they had not seen her since 2007.

"You told a litany of lies designed to mislead and distance yourself and your husband from the true circumstances of the person who had been admitted to hospital."
The woman had to be admitted to intensive care and later told authorities she was beaten with a frozen chicken and burned with boiling water.

Admittedly I'm no lawyer and know nothing about the laws they were sentenced under, but their prison sentences being shorter than the length of time they kept someone as a slave seems a bit off to me.

I was thinking the same thing. Looks like they will appeal the sentencing so hopefully that will backfire and they'll end up with more time on top.

Absolutely terrible. They won’t be the only ones doing it too but hopefully others are nervous about facing the possibility of incarceration for slavery offences. I hope more victims can come forward before it is too late.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back