Sledging

Remove this Banner Ad

Woody15

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
This doesn't sound good.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricke...s/news-story/03bbb5e7b3d110272164a669887c6b7c

Someone raised the issue of personal sledging directed towards Bairstow a few days ago and potentially what it could have been about.

I personally wish the sledging would cease. I'm all for witty remarks, getting under their skin (the headbutt incident) and a stare here and there but seems it might be getting well and truly out of hand. Not the first time we've been accused of this during this series and previous series.

Fleming also highlighted Jimmy Anderson’s hypocrisy for labelling Australia “bullies”

This is the one that always bemuses me. Poor little Jimmy continuing to whinge about Australians sledging him when he does the exact same thing himself. I'm fed up with the Poms trying to pretend sledging is a one way street.

What are the Aussies supposedly sledging Bairstow about?
They're all being deliberately vague. If the English went to the press about Smith laughing in a press conference I'm sure they'd be straight to the press if Bairstow actually got personally attacked.

Honestly if it turns out this is all blowing smoke from Prior and Willis it will be extremely poor form from them. I feel like they're pretty clearly trying to give the impression Bairstow got sledged about his late fathers suicide without coming out and saying where they heard it from or what exactly they heard was said.

Fanning the flames and painting the Australians out to be monsters without saying anything concrete enough that they can't back out of it.

That said, if that kind of sledging did happen I'd be fine with the offender being suspended.

They are looking for excuses as to why their side has been beaten quite comprehensively so far, the next step is they turn on their own and I mean properly turn on their own, not just little jabs.

If they find themselves at the end of day two at the WACA with Australia having 500 runs and declared, England 4/40 in reply it will start up and the likes of Cook, Anderson etc will find themselves being pushed aside for "hope" from a younger player.

They're all being deliberately vague. If the English went to the press about Smith laughing in a press conference I'm sure they'd be straight to the press if Bairstow actually got personally attacked.

Honestly if it turns out this is all blowing smoke from Prior and Willis it will be extremely poor form from them. I feel like they're pretty clearly trying to give the impression Bairstow got sledged about his late fathers suicide without coming out and saying where they heard it from or what exactly they heard was said.

Fanning the flames and painting the Australians out to be monsters without saying anything concrete enough that they can't back out of it.

That said, if that kind of sledging did happen I'd be fine with the offender being suspended.
Yeah, it does seem like a put up or shut up situation for these critics.

Hate the innuendo.

Was like when Chris Cairns was supposedly sledged about a family member (his sister?) dying in a train accident with fielders making choo-choo noises.

Sounds awful but when asked later Cairns said that it never happened.

Truth is the first casualty of Ashes War

Bairstow strikes me as a strange target.

Yes there was the headbutt incident, but let's face it that just sounded a bit weird and quirky rather than actively harmful.

He doesn't seem the type to especially combustible as a rule.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poms seem pretty miffed that they are being labelled as bad boys because of people like Iike stokes as they are so used to playing the role of victim when touring Australia so they did their best to obscure the drunken violence issue after the Gabba test and make it all about our lot sledging and the media took the bait.

For whatever reason people are just more comfortable focusing on aussie sledging than other sometimes more serious issues with other sides, maybe it's that our lot take pride in the talk while other sides do it but don't boast about it to the same degree.

Bairstow strikes me as a strange target.

Yes there was the headbutt incident, but let's face it that just sounded a bit weird and quirky rather than actively harmful.

He doesn't seem the type to especially combustible as a rule.

You sledge a bloke if you think you can get into his head, based on the insane over reaction over the headbutt sledge I think it's obvious the Aussies got to Bairstow.

The other rubbish from people like prior means nothing though. As mike hussey said come out and say exactly what was said and let the Aussies defend themselves or don't say anything at all, it's just cowardly the way he had gone about it.

I should add Overton came out today and talked about how tough it was out there but that the Aussies seemed like decent blokes off the pitch, Bairstow seemed friendly with our lotafter the game but because a salty bloke like matt prior casts aspersions from half way round the world it's proof something horrific was said to Bairstow, give me a break if something about Bairstows father was mentioned the two teams wouldn't even shake hands after the match.

Fleming also highlighted Jimmy Anderson’s hypocrisy for labelling Australia “bullies”

This is the one that always bemuses me. Poor little Jimmy continuing to whinge about Australians sledging him when he does the exact same thing himself. I'm fed up with the Poms trying to pretend sledging is a one way street.

English cricket 101

1. Paint the Australians as ugly, unsportsmanlike sledgers. Use vague, non-specific examples - the vaguer the better.
2. Resume your regular sledging, which you planned to do anyway.
3. When questioned, say you're fighting back and only doing what the Aussies do anyway.
4. Rinse and repeat

It's happened for generations.

Hard to tell:

Easy solution. Turn the stump mics up full blast have the commentators shut up and let's hear for ourselves.

Tend to take the Ian Chappel view. While the bowler is in delivery stride everyone needs to shut up. Aside from that talk at will. Go for it. But with all the s**t that gets said one day someone will snap and start an all in brawl and one of the brawlers will have a bat in their hands.

LOL @ Brett Geeves. What a ridiculous article. Bullying in any sphere of life is unacceptable. Unless you are a professional athlete. In which case go for it because uhhhmmm code and Jimmy Anderson does it.

If one can sledge on the field why can't I do it in the workplace to get ahead in a brutal economy and shrinking job market?

Sorry but this shits me. I actually agree with Warner and co in say whatever the * you like. But you have no right to dictate how someone else should react.

As for that is said above: What the hell are the umpires doing in the midst of all of this?

Last edited:
Hard to tell:

Easy solution. Turn the stump mics up full blast have the commentators shut up and let's hear for ourselves.

Tend to take the Ian Chappel view. While the bowler is in delivery stride everyone needs to shut up. Aside from that talk at will. Go for it. But with all the s**t that gets said one day someone will snap and start an all in brawl and one of the brawlers will have a bat in their hands.

I would love to be able to listen to stump mic. Imagine the s**t you would hear..

A few things. No point england playing the victim. They do it plenty. They don’t have as many sledgers as Australia but guys like Anderson, stokes, broad and Swann have always loved a chat.

Broad and Swann seem more than capable of taking it on the chin, stokes to a lesser extent (when he’s not landing them on the chin). You can’t make a hero out of a guy like Anderson though and whinge about sledging when he’s an instigator.

Some teams only do it as recourse - South Africa get involved a bit but in my experience don’t often start it.

India don’t mind doing it off the bat a bit unprovoked.

I actually wish my mob would fire back a bit more but that’s not really their MO at the moment without the bigger personalities in their side.

Overall aside from the odd ‘you arsey c***’ from a bowler I don’t really see the need for it in general

From an Australian perspective in the AFL a player got sledged about something personal, went whack and was cleared due to extreme provocation. Wonder if that could happen in cricket. Bear in mind Australian culture is different to the rest of the world. (Say whatever you want but you don't get to choose the reaction/outcome if you are deliberately needling someone).

Hard to tell:

LOL @ Brett Geeves. What a ridiculous article. Bullying in any sphere of life is unacceptable. Unless you are a professional athlete. In which case go for it because uhhhmmm code and Jimmy Anderson does it.

If one can sledge on the field why can't I do it in the workplace to get ahead in a brutal economy and shrinking job market?

Sorry but this shits me. I actually agree with Warner and co in say whatever the **** you like. But you have no right to dictate how someone else should react.

As for that is said above: What the hell are the umpires doing in the midst of all of this?
You've completely missed the point of Geeves article, in fact you are on a different planet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back