Sledging

Remove this Banner Ad

From an Australian perspective in the AFL a player got sledged about something personal, went whack and was cleared due to extreme provocation. Wonder if that could happen in cricket. Bear in mind Australian culture is different to the rest of the world. (Say whatever you want but you don't get to choose the reaction/outcome if you are deliberately needling someone).
Des Headland hitting Adam Selwood springs to mind - is that the example you're citing?

A few things. No point england playing the victim. They do it plenty. They don’t have as many sledgers as Australia but guys like Anderson, stokes, broad and Swann have always loved a chat.

Broad and Swann seem more than capable of taking it on the chin, stokes to a lesser extent (when he’s not landing them on the chin). You can’t make a hero out of a guy like Anderson though and whinge about sledging when he’s an instigator.

Some teams only do it as recourse - South Africa get involved a bit but in my experience don’t often start it.

India don’t mind doing it off the bat a bit unprovoked.

I actually wish my mob would fire back a bit more but that’s not really their MO at the moment without the bigger personalities in their side.

Overall aside from the odd ‘you arsey c***’ from a bowler I don’t really see the need for it in general
You are in dreamland as usual.
The Saffers are, and always have been THE BIGGEST SLEDGERS.
Then they sook and play the victim card more so than these sooky Poms.

English cricket 101

1. Paint the Australians as ugly, unsportsmanlike sledgers. Use vague, non-specific examples - the vaguer the better.
2. Resume your regular sledging, which you planned to do anyway.
3. When questioned, say you're fighting back and only doing what the Aussies do anyway.
4. Rinse and repeat

It's happened for generations.
Correct.
It's not our fault that they chose to send such a crap team here.....

We always get the "spirit of cricket" whingeing in this forum after an Aussie loss.
Yet they always revert back to this s**t when they are on top.

We could lose every game on this tour and have to listen to all their crappy sledging , but we'll be taking the ashes straight back off you next time.
But next time hopefully we wont be as nicey nice as Cook was .

We always get the "spirit of cricket" whingeing in this forum after an Aussie loss.
Yet they always revert back to this s**t when they are on top.

We could lose every game on this tour and have to listen to all their crappy sledging , but we'll be taking the ashes straight back off you next time.
But next time hopefully we wont be as nicey nice as Cook was .
Tissue?

Enjoy your brief moment in the sunlight. Wont be long before your team is being exposed again..
milk it!!

Your side are flat track kings !!

Enjoy your brief moment in the sunlight. Wont be long before your team is being exposed again..
milk it!!

Suggests your batting line up is stuffed if they can't score runs on flat tracks. At least we acknowledge we are s**t when the ball moves around.

As for the sledging, Matt Prior is the biggest "look at me" ******* wankspanner on the planet. He just loves seeing his name in lights, will say anything for attention. Based on player behaviours, the Aussies haven't sledged Bairstow about anything other than shitting his pants in England when MJ bounced him, and giving him friendly advice on the best sunscreens for blokes of his complexion.

milk it!!

This is a very good troll but considering you've played nearly 200 more test matches then us and we've still won more then you suggests that the "brief moment in the sunlight" is more appropriate for your sides rare wins. #foreverinourshadow

(Log in to remove this ad.)

milk it!!

We are much more competitive over in England then England is in Australia.
Another 5-0 drubbing looks on the cards.

They're all being deliberately vague. If the English went to the press about Smith laughing in a press conference I'm sure they'd be straight to the press if Bairstow actually got personally attacked.

Honestly if it turns out this is all blowing smoke from Prior and Willis it will be extremely poor form from them. I feel like they're pretty clearly trying to give the impression Bairstow got sledged about his late fathers suicide without coming out and saying where they heard it from or what exactly they heard was said.

Fanning the flames and painting the Australians out to be monsters without saying anything concrete enough that they can't back out of it.

That said, if that kind of sledging did happen I'd be fine with the offender being suspended.

If it's true about the sledge being re Bairstow's Dads suicide then I agree with what's been said by a few above. Would have come straight out and I'm surprised, if true , that Bairstow didn't go absolutely postal and remove a few of the offenders teeth with his bat.

I call BS.

No doubt, however, that there's plenty of chat going on. There are 2 umpires on the field and a couple more in the shed. Talk to them if you're concerned. If there's chat while the bowler's running in then step away from the crease. Repeatedly. Eventually the umps will ask you why you're doing it if they can't hear anything. Your reply - "This lot won't shut up while old mate's running in"

milk it!!

Erm we lost 2-3 in England last time out. It looks like being the 3rd 5-0 in 4 away Ashes for England.

I hate sledging. But I hate hypocrites more. England, India, South Africa, <insert team here> are all teams that sledge. Australia seem to be the only team that admit to it.

The Bairstow speculation is most likely BS. If anyone uttered a word about his father then there would have been a flying headbutt.

Indeed. But since Boucher retired and Smith to a lesser extent, Steyn is about their only real prickly character left. Add Elgar and Bavuma to that list of ‘noted s**t stirrers.’
They've always had that weird religious thing running through the side as well, be it Hansie and his charismatic mob or the current strong Muslim influence on the side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back