Sledging

Remove this Banner Ad

They are looking for excuses as to why their side has been beaten quite comprehensively so far, the next step is they turn on their own and I mean properly turn on their own, not just little jabs.
So it begins?

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/ben-...ng-penalty-stokes-bairstow-strauss/2017-12-09
England’s players – across both the Lions and senior Ashes squad – have been subject to a midnight curfew ever since it emerged Jonny Bairstow headbutted Australia’s Cameron Bancroft in a Perth bar on the very first night of the tour in late October.

That was lifted on Thursday and it is understood Duckett and the rest of the Lions party were joined in the bar by several senior England players, including Bairstow.

Team security were also at the venue and were forced to step in when Duckett became involved in an unspecified incident that was serious enough for both Andy Flower, the former England coach now in charge of the Lions, and Trevor Bayliss, the current coach, to be informed.

It has been reported that Duckett poured his drink over the head of a senior England player after an argument.

S...Say whatever you like, especially to whinging poms.
L....Lay as much s**t as you can, especially on whinging poms.
E....Every good sledge needs a follow up, especially on whinging poms.
D....Delivery, don't beat round the bush, especially to whinging poms.
G....Get stuck into the opposition at every chance, especially whinging poms.
E.....Evens, be prepared to cop as good as you give, Even from whinging poms.
ASHES CRICKET, JUST LUV IT, especially the whinging poms, wouldn't miss it for quids.

Last edited:
I said, and I quote ‘South Africa do it a bit.’

Please stop talking to me. I get suspended every time I remind you how dumb you are. I’m finally over it. You don’t even know what you’re responding to anymore.
That's the soft option........

S...Say whatever you like, especially to whinging poms.
L....Lay as much s**t as you can, especially on whinging poms.
E....Every good sledge needs a follow up, especially on whinging poms.
D....Delivery, don't beat round the bush, especially to whinging poms.
E.....Evens, be prepared to cop as good as you give, Even from whinging poms.
ASHES CRICKET, don't ya luv it, especially coz its against whinging poms.
SLEDE?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bairstow strikes me as a strange target.

Yes there was the headbutt incident, but let's face it that just sounded a bit weird and quirky rather than actively harmful.

He doesn't seem the type to especially combustible as a rule.

Johnny Bairstow is one rare unit, so much so Dizzy Gillespie refused to work with him on the basis that he was "beyond" help.

Johnny Bairstow is one rare unit, so much so Dizzy Gillespie refused to work with him on the basis that he was "beyond" help.

Hang on let's quote what Gillespie actually said:

A fascinating truce has been concluded at Yorkshire. “No longer would he have support staff stopping him every second ball in the nets, telling him to change his grip, stance, backlift or alignment. Instead, the only advice would be when he sought it and based solely on his gameplan for any given day,” wrote Jason Gillespie, Yorkshire’s head coach, in his Guardian column last week.

“So we made a pact: the Yorkshire coaches – myself included – agreed we would not speak to him about his method and instead judge him solely on his returns,” Gillespie added. Bairstow had become confused by all the advice he had received in Australia in 2013-14, when he had scored only 49 runs in his four Test innings after taking over from Prior as a keeper-bat. Thus he has been allowed to defy orthodoxy and go his own way.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cr...ore-important-for-dynamic-Jonny-Bairstow.html

What I'm reading sounds a lot like a very determined & confident player and brilliant coaching.

Usually on bigfooty this kind of "players own their techniques" philosophy is lauded. How many players (in a number of sports) have we seen head****ed by trying to change small peculiarities?

Not saying that the role of technical coaches is obsolete, but they are there to guide only and if you've got too many messages coming in at you it brings a lot of uncertainty to your game. Just ask Steven Finn or Mitchell Johnson. Being able to filter out unhelpful information and possessing the discipline to stick to a plan is a trait that elite sportsmen need to be consistently successful. Kind of analogous with organisational strategy and execution. If the activity is not consistent with the strategy to achieve the overarching ambition, it's not going to add any value even if you execute it correctly.

Will reiterate how good that example is of Gillespie being a tremendous coach.

Hang on let's quote what Gillespie actually said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cr...ore-important-for-dynamic-Jonny-Bairstow.html

What I'm reading sounds a lot like a very determined & confident player and brilliant coaching.

Usually on bigfooty this kind of "players own their techniques" philosophy is lauded. How many players (in a number of sports) have we seen head****ed by trying to change small peculiarities?

Not saying that the role of technical coaches is obsolete, but they are there to guide only and if you've got too many messages coming in at you it brings a lot of uncertainty to your game. Just ask Steven Finn or Mitchell Johnson. Being able to filter out unhelpful information and possessing the discipline to stick to a plan is a trait that elite sportsmen need to be consistently successful. Kind of analogous with organisational strategy and execution. If the activity is not consistent with the strategy to achieve the overarching ambition, it's not going to add any value even if you execute it correctly.

Will reiterate how good that example is of Gillespie being a tremendous coach.

Gillespie concluded that Bairstow is incapable of being coached - if you think that mentality is sustainable, good luck.

Gillespie concluded that Bairstow is incapable of being coached - if you think that mentality is sustainable, good luck.
No what he concluded was that although his technique is questionable it works for him and having coaches trying to reinvent him to be a textbook batsman was doing more harm then good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back