Sledging

Remove this Banner Ad

I always love it when the Poms come out and whinge about personal stuff with sledging, they've obviously A) Never stood near the Barmy Army for a test match or B) Listened to their own home crowds when we tour.

Clearly they dont listen to campaigners like Anderson or Broad while they are on the field as well.

Another Ashes tour and again, the Poms best work is done off the field.....like every other tour in memory.

Its orchestrated whining. Its supposed to put pressure on their opponents and shift the focus from them and while they need to resort to that stuff, they'll never successful. I think they need to search through South Africa and the sub-continent for their next group of players. This lots has too many English players in it

Stories: :D

Mitchell Johnson pretty much said today on Triple that he still isn't over the personal sledging he copped from Pietersen a few years ago. They shook hands and said 'g'day' during this match, but he still seems a bit cranky about it. I gather Mitchell wrote as much in his biography

Graeme Swann said on Triple M that the only true cranky Aussie he played against was Ponting, who was always at the opposition.
He reckons Bollinger sledged every ball he bowled, but it was so s**t it was embarrassing.

Swann also had an encounter with his buddy "grumpy" Jimmy Anderson during a county game, shortly after being the godfather to Anderson's daughter. Swann and Stuart Broad both played for Nottinghamshire. After getting Anderson out, Swann and Broad started pissing themselves laughing, for some reason.
When Swann was batting, he hit the first ball he faced from Anderson for 4, then Jimmy stomped down the pitch and angrily said: "I never liked you, anyway! I should've got Cookie to be godfather."

It wasn't long before they were both together playing for England again. Jimmy didn't speak to Swann for a few days, until he (Swann) took a ripper catch off Jimmy's bowling, then they were buddies again.

Swann ended his "set of nuggets" on Triple M by talking about how dopey Tim Bresnan can be. He used to pronounce "chamois" phonetically, as in,
"cham-oh-iss".
During a test, Bresnan got Ponting out LBW when Punter didn't offer a shot, but Ponting appealed the decision on DRS. As all the players were looking at the review on the big screen, Bresnan exclaimed, "Oh no!! It's hit him outside the line!" :p
Andrew Strauss goes: "Tim, you are an international cricketer playing in a Test match; you should know the LBW rules"

Simon O'Donnell said on SEN the other day that he sledged a NSW batsman so savagely in the 90/91 Shield final that the guy still won't speak to him.
He said he was probably their best player, who was very hard to get out, so their tactic was to put him off his game.
Who was the "sledgee"?" Bevan?

NSW Shield Final team:

New South Wales 1st innings
SM Small ................................b O'Donnell...........82
BE McNamara.....c Siddons........b Fleming..............2
MD O'Neill............lbw...............b Fleming..............0
MG Bevan..........c Berry............b Fleming..............6
JD Kenny...........c Berry............b Dodemaide.........3
RJ Green ...........c Fleming........b Jackson.............40
+PA Emery.........c Siddons........b Dodemaide........62
GF McLay............c Siddons.......b Fleming..............3
*GF Lawson.............................b O'Donnell............0
PJS Alley.............c O'Donnell.....b Dodemaide.........5
WJ Holdsworth......not out....................................12

Last edited:
I was reading "Remembering Richie" last night. One interesting part was the build up to the 1958-59 Ashes series when Peter May said Richie Benaud offered no problems to English batsmen because all they had to do was play straight down the line, that Richie didn't spin the ball and didn't have a wrong un'. This was after all the talk about it being more worthwhile if England played a World XI rather than Australia. After facing a leggie in the nets who didn't spin the ball, May said "He was bowling Benauds".

It didn't work, Benaud took 31 wickets for the series @ 18.84 and Australia won the series 4-0. This was nearly 60 years ago, but the Poms still think all the crap comes from Australians.

Stories: :D

Mitchell Johnson pretty much said today on Triple that he still isn't over the personal sledging he copped from Pietersen a few years ago. They shook hands and said 'g'day' during this match, but he still seems a bit cranky about it. I gather Mitchell wrote as much in his biography

Graeme Swann said on Triple M that the only true cranky Aussie he played against was Ponting, who was always at the opposition.
He reckons Bollinger sledged every ball he bowled, but it was so s**t it was embarrassing.

Swann also had an encounter with his buddy "grumpy" Jimmy Anderson during a county game, shortly after being the godfather to Anderson's daughter. Swann and Stuart Broad both played for Nottinghamshire. After getting Anderson out, Swann and Broad started pissing themselves laughing, for some reason.
When Swann was batting, he hit the first ball he faced from Anderson for 4, then Jimmy stomped down the pitch and angrily said: "I never liked you, anyway! I should've got Cookie to be godfather."

It wasn't long before they were both together playing for England again. Jimmy didn't speak to Swann for days, until he (Swann) took a ripper catch off Jimmy's bowling, then they were buddies again.

Swann ended his "set of nuggets" on Triple M by talking about how dopey Tim Bresnan can be. He used to pronounce "chamois" phonetically, as in,
"cham-oh-iss".
During a test, Bresna got Ponting out LBW when Punter didn't offer a shot, but Ponting appealed the decision on DRS. As all the players were looking at the review on the big screen, Bresnan exclaimed, "Oh no!! It's hit him outside the line!" :p
Andrew Strauss goes: "Tim, you are an international cricketer playing a Test match; you should know the LBW rules"

Simon O'Donnell said on SEN the other day that he sledged a NSW batsman so savagely in the 90/91 Shield final that the guy still won't speak to him.
He said he was probably their best player, who was very hard to get out, so their tactic was to put him off his game.
Who was the "sledgee"?" Bevan?

NSW Shield Final team:

New South Wales 1st innings
SM Small ................................b O'Donnell...........82
BE McNamara.....c Siddons........b Fleming..............2
MD O'Neill............lbw...............b Fleming..............0
MG Bevan..........c Berry............b Fleming..............6
JD Kenny...........c Berry............b Dodemaide.........3
RJ Green ...........c Fleming........b Jackson.............40
+PA Emery.........c Siddons........b Dodemaide........62
GF McLay............c Siddons.......b Fleming..............3
*GF Lawson.............................b O'Donnell............0
PJS Alley.............c O'Donnell.....b Dodemaide.........5
WJ Holdsworth......not out....................................12

There is literally no one it could be except Bevan, also considering he was in red hot form that season too.

Wtf was McNamara opening for?

Brett Geeves wrote a good article detailing how much of a hypocrite Anderson is with examples of him crossing the line many times on the field.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricke...e/news-story/51fcafd754ba18a962584b84a88b3f41
James Anderson is a sook. Always has been, always will be. He is the biggest mouth piece out there. For him to come out and say that we go over the top sledging is an absolute comedy skit.

He is also flat out scared of short bowling and can't take a wicket out of England.

For all the tut-tutting from the English media over Bairstows vague accusations of personal stuff, they're awfully quiet over their own 'Barmy Army' getting personal yet again:
https://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/12/16/09/18/barmy-army-sledge-nathan-lyon
Following a report on Friday about Nathan Lyon’s personal life, English cricket fans took full advantage and did their best to get inside the Australian spinner’s head with a low blow.

According to the Daily Mail, Lyon has started seeing another woman following the breakdown of a long-term relationship with the mother of his two children.

Lyon reportedly broke up with Mel Waring more than a year ago and has taken up a new relationship with a Perth-based real estate agent named Emma McCarthy.

The off-spinner was also apparently seen kissing McCarthy in a car before the third Test.

The report said Waring hadn’t taken the split well, also claiming McCarthy once went out with Australian teammate Mitchell Marsh.

That was enough for the Barmy Armey to formulate a sledge towards Lyon.

“I like kissing in the car with my hand inside her bra having fun with Mitch’s ex she says I’m much better at sex.”

Bairstow headbutting Bancroft = too personal, who a soon-to-be divorced guy is kissing = fair game according to the English rags.

For all the tut-tutting from the English media over Bairstows vague accusations of personal stuff, they're awfully quiet over their own 'Barmy Army' getting personal yet again:
https://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/12/16/09/18/barmy-army-sledge-nathan-lyon

Bairstow headbutting Bancroft = too personal, who a soon-to-be divorced guy is kissing = fair game according to the English rags.
Barmy Army are a bunch of self important flogs

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back in the day, there was a first grade cricketer at Penrith who'd surreptitiously wear two boxes out to bat. When the opposition would bring on their fast bowling spearhead, he'd take one out and throw it on the ground and announce "no need for that with this bloke".

This doesn't sound good.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricke...s/news-story/03bbb5e7b3d110272164a669887c6b7c

Someone raised the issue of personal sledging directed towards Bairstow a few days ago and potentially what it could have been about.

I personally wish the sledging would cease. I'm all for witty remarks, getting under their skin (the headbutt incident) and a stare here and there but seems it might be getting well and truly out of hand. Not the first time we've been accused of this during this series and previous series.

lol, one common aspect of cricket sledging across the globe is that the Australian team admit they do it and rarely/never complain about another team's sledging for fear of being hypocritical sooks

the other common aspect is that other teams don't admit when they do it yet almost always accuse of Australia of sledging (despite said hypocritical sookery)

it's a tactic and it's been around for a while - https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/buchanan-was-partly-right.304656/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back in the day, there was a first grade cricketer at Penrith who'd surreptitiously wear two boxes out to bat. When the opposition would bring on their fast bowling spearhead, he'd take one out and throw it on the ground and announce "no need for that with this bloke".

Just when you think you've heard all the funny and original sledges something like that comes along and makes me laugh reading it in front of a computer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back