Sleep

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Some days it's just an absolute impossibility to get to bed after 16 hours of waking. 16/8 is a complete myth, everybody should know that by now but the world revolves around 9-5 so we have to make it work.

Some days after being awake 21 hours I'm not tired and some days after 13 hours my eyelids are struggling to hold against gravity.

It all depends on how much sleep I've had in the days before and how stimulated I might be from what I'm doing.

I have developed my own sort of rules regarding REM time. 2-4 hours skipping the later parts of REM sleep are ok but never 2 nights in a row. Try to get to bed early the next night and get a full sleep in. Skipping the later part of deep REM sleep 2 nights in a row fu**s me right up and I'm guessing it would for many people too.

Even a 1 hour microsleep is ok if it's only one night. Just hit the caffeine and go. Just don't try to think you can do zero sleep. That's dangerous. You'll be that idiot sleeping on the train missing his stop and getting kicked off at the end of the line.
Absolute Quality!

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Nathan Lyon went in search of his partner Emma McCarthy. A kiss and a hug to celebrate what was a remarkable test for the 31 year-old. Emma in something of a spin herself as she watched Lyon reach 350 test wickets.

"Such a big milestone in his life and to do it here I think is extra special," Emma told Nine News.

And Emma might have let the cat out of the bag as to the secret to Lyon's stunning Test haul of nine wickets, in particular the match-winning six he collected on day five.

"I know he had a pretty sleepless night last night and he went on YouTube and found a clip of rain on a tin roof to help him sleep," Emma said.

There's some good white noise generating sites.

This one is cool. Easy interface. There are others. Have experimented with them but usually just put on some music that isn't too bassy on a low volume.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Woke up at 4 today. Luckily I slept 6.5 hours or so. I find waking up at that time still scatters me though, regardless of sleep duration and quality.

Obviously waking up at certain times has that affect.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Would have been up s**t creek if I had an hours less sleep too. That also makes a big difference to me.

Angus Young

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Are you a good sleeper? Bad sleeper? Share your experiences.

Reason why I make this thread is that for the better part of 3 months I've been a horrible sleeper. Some nights I sit up til 4am-5am and go to work off 2 hours of sleep. Recently I house sat for about 3 weeks, and for some reason started sleeping like a baby. Lights out by 10pm every night and sleeping all the way through.

I moved back home with the parents and the sleepless nights have started back again. I must associate my bed and bedroom as a sleepless place and work myself up over it. I have a great home, amazingly comfy bed but for some reason I stress out about sleep here. I know I'm not completely broken because I house sat for a month on my own and slept amazingly. I'm wondering what I can do to get these thoughts out of my head because some nights it literally breaks me and I'm an anxious mess.

I've been using Melatonin lately which has worked wonders.

melatonin works very well...as does weed

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I was awake for a good 3 hours this morning. Luckily I persisted as I was going to get up several times and start my day ( after being awake from about 2 am onwards and 4.5 hours sleep )

Would have been a scattered train. Lovin every minute of this morning now:)

basashi

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FFC Quay Club
Been on Melatonin for about a year now. Has done absolute wonders. I fall asleep within 20 minutes and sleep the whole night.

Are you concerned about long term effects of regular usage? I use it for jet lag but I keep it to 5 nights in a new timezone.

AFDogs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Are you concerned about long term effects of regular usage? I use it for jet lag but I keep it to 5 nights in a new timezone.

Yeah, definitely, a little.

I've tried to go without it but I don't sleep... It's all in my head. Melatonin works because it gives me comfort of mind strangely.

basashi

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FFC Quay Club
Yeah, definitely, a little.

I've tried to go without it but I don't sleep... It's all in my head. Melatonin works because it gives me comfort of mind strangely.

I guess my POV is that I experience pretty strong effects from melatonin. I do a lot of round the world trips. I used to sleep well on the first night due to exhaustion but it was the second and third night that were the problems. I would get to sleep but wake up after one to three hours and not be able to get back to sleep. Taking melatonin turned that problem off for me completely. In my thinking, that is a pretty powerful effect. I therefore treat it with a bit of respect and limit myself to 5 nights in a new time zone.

That said, I have had different experiences with different brands. I bought one in Australia once that I swear had nothing in it.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I had a brilliant sleep again. Makes a massive difference. Even 7 hours sleep waking up at 5.30 as opposed to 2.30. Something simple as going for a walk and getting fresh air and sunshine does wonders. Do it twice a day if need be.

In before call da cops.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
had 4.5 hours straight but have been awake for almost 3 now. I knew that coffee around lunch time was a mistake. Wired the * out of me too.

call da cops

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
played some music then turned it off. Tried for almost an hour to get back to sleep. Coming back on here I'm already feeling sleepy. Your energy has to be directed somewhere if you're not going to sleep otherwise you get irritable and trying to sleep can do the opposite.

let it flow baby.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
I have absolutely no problem falling asleep. I'm asleep pretty as much as soon as my head hits the pillow. But I can't sleep right through the night. I will wake up several times during the night and stay awake for an hour or two. I'm in bed about 8 hours a night but sleep for about 5 of them.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
finally went back to sleep and woke up feeling like a million bucks. Thank *. Watching College football scouring big footy sinking a few brews is a great way to start the weekend. Had a little social game of cricket too.

You beauty!

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I have absolutely no problem falling asleep. I'm asleep pretty as much as soon as my head hits the pillow. But I can't sleep right through the night. I will wake up several times during the night and stay awake for an hour or two. I'm in bed about 8 hours a night but sleep for about 5 of them.
That sucks man. I wake up consistently too. But these days I'm getting 6 hours minimum all up. Even at the start of this year but more so the years before a bad nights sleep was 3.5-4.5 hours. And that was ******* horrible. I know the cause of that though.

Do you know the causes of your bad sleep pattern? There are numerous factors which come into play. Im sure you're aware though.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm a bad sleeper, but valerian works for me.

Tend to get into a bit of a vicious cycle with caffeine.
compromise. The vicious cycle, cut it in half. Be a maniac with it every second day, instead of every day. On the second day for example reduce your intake and cut it out earlier than what you normally would. Hit the insanity the day after etc.

Caffeine's a killer. A fine line between a great feel good factor and total insanity, which is does make people feel.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
That sucks man. I wake up consistently too. But these days I'm getting 6 hours minimum all up. Even at the start of this year but more so the years before a bad nights sleep was 3.5-4.5 hours. And that was ******* horrible. I know the cause of that though.

Do you know the causes of your bad sleep pattern? There are numerous factors which come into play. Im sure you're aware though.

Not really. I only have one cup of coffee a day for breakfast so it's not caffeine. It may possibly be because I don't finish CrossFit training til 6:30 so it could possibly be that. I should try working out in the morning and see if it makes a difference. I'm also doing my PhD atm so lay awake thinking about different ideas for that. Not sure what to do about that one.

Back