Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2003
Dragon Island
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Dragons FFC
Hey everyone,

I'm back for another year after a pretty good 2018. Enjoyed the break and now it's time to get stuck into draft content. Initial thoughts for 2019 - some strong talent at the top-end, but not as high level as last year, while from R2 on it's a bit of a dice roll at this stage, so I'll keep focused on the ones I'm confident in, after about 20-25 you're really just picking potential draftees as there is still so much footy to be played!

I'll have a post for Power Rankings (this one), Draft Profiles and Phantom Draft like last year.

Keep in mind that it's as of now, and to be honest, anywhere from 4-15 can change and outside of that are players I like, followed by a few roughies (last three in this list). A lot will determine on the AFL Academy match this weekend for some players, whereas a more conclusive list will be done closer to the Championships and throughout that.

As per always, I have a lean towards Vic Country as that's who I see the most of so keep that in mind. Cheers.

Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 4.59.48 pm.png

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GUMBLETRON

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 1, 2008
NASA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg
Something weird going on with Rowell's height and position there.

Bicks

Premium Platinum
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Hey everyone,

I'm back for another year after a pretty good 2018. Enjoyed the break and now it's time to get stuck into draft content. Initial thoughts for 2019 - some strong talent at the top-end, but not as high level as last year, while from R2 on it's a bit of a dice roll at this stage, so I'll keep focused on the ones I'm confident in, after about 20-25 you're really just picking potential draftees as there is still so much footy to be played!

I'll have a post for Power Rankings (this one), Draft Profiles and Phantom Draft like last year.

Keep in mind that it's as of now, and to be honest, anywhere from 4-15 can change and outside of that are players I like, followed by a few roughies (last three in this list). A lot will determine on the AFL Academy match this weekend for some players, whereas a more conclusive list will be done closer to the Championships and throughout that.

As per always, I have a lean towards Vic Country as that's who I see the most of so keep that in mind. Cheers.

View attachment 656269
Welcome back, I was starting to worry we were going to be without your input on Big Footy this season.

You have Sam Flanders a bit lower than I expected, reasoning?

Snuffaluphagus

Club Legend
Sep 10, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hey Mate

Had a chance to see any of Liam Henry from Freo's NGA yet? If so, thoughts on draftability?

briztoon

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Hey everyone,

View attachment 656269
Welcome back, and thanks for all the work you do for us draft followers.

As a president of the Lachlan Ash to Brisbane movement, it's good to see I've picked a good pony, but not so good for our chances at drafting him.

Surprised at Flanders and Serong's ratings, but from a Lions perspective death riding our Collingwood pick, happy to see a couple of my back up ponies there a bouts.

LemmingMaster

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2008
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
The fact you have Ash high, that already makes me happy. I am a huge fan of his.

I still think Gould and Jackson will not go super high on draft night, even if I love them both as players.

Gould - Naughton draft range in my eyes
Jackson - Bailey Williams clone? That means he could drift a little in the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pie 4 Life

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2003
Dragon Island
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Dragons FFC
When do the heights / weights get updated from last year for the writers/junors?
They've been updated by their clubs, but they also get updated later in the year when it comes to Champs because some don't update from the previous year. The final combine testing is the most accurate pre-draft.

Welcome back, I was starting to worry we were going to be without your input on Big Footy this season.

You have Sam Flanders a bit lower than I expected, reasoning?
Anything from 4-15 is doing my head in a little atm because they are all fairly even. With regards to Flanders, he is so dominant inside 50, but he is yet to translate that to the midfield. He has been very solid in there and playing well, but not top five quality at this stage. When inside 50 he is so damaging, and I'd just like to see a bit more X-factor in the midfield going forward.

Pie 4 Life

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2003
Dragon Island
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Dragons FFC
Hey Mate

Had a chance to see any of Liam Henry from Freo's NGA yet? If so, thoughts on draftability?
I haven't seen him live but I'll refer you to our WA writer's write-up from last week:

15 Liam Henry
The Derby product demonstrated why he is so highly touted in this year’s draft pool, especially by Fremantle who can select him under their Next-Generation Academy. Henry displayed his offensive flair and defensive soundness in a very well-rounded performance. He gathered 16 possessions, laid eight tackles, grabbed seven marks, recorded three inside 50s and kicked a magnificent goal in the second quarter, when he roved a pack inside 50 and snapped it through.

Any news on him will filter through here.

Pie 4 Life

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2003
Dragon Island
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Dragons FFC
Welcome back, and thanks for all the work you do for us draft followers.

As a president of the Lachlan Ash to Brisbane movement, it's good to see I've picked a good pony, but not so good for our chances at drafting him.

Surprised at Flanders and Serong's ratings, but from a Lions perspective death riding our Collingwood pick, happy to see a couple of my back up ponies there a bouts.
Lachie Ash is my boy for this year, absolutely love everything he does, but it's more a case of him not having a serious weakness. Less midfield time than others, but he's not an outside receiver, he wins a lot of his own ball in marking contests, and most of all his 50m+ bullet passes are a joy to watch.

Flanders and Serong, like anyone in my top 15 could easily be top 10, I keep changing my mind given so little footy has been played in the scheme of things. I do rate both.

Pie 4 Life

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2003
Dragon Island
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Dragons FFC
The fact you have Ash high, that already makes me happy. I am a huge fan of his.

I still think Gould and Jackson will not go super high on draft night, even if I love them both as players.

Gould - Naughton draft range in my eyes
Jackson - Bailey Williams clone? That means he could drift a little in the draft.
I tend to agree, but I guess that's the difference with Power Rankings vs. Phantom Draft. You can still rate players higher even if they go later. Jackson has so little footy compared to others but I liked what I saw in the two National Under 18 Championship games last year. Gould is one shooting up in my eyes and they are getting him some minutes in the midfield this year from what I've heard so I'm excited to see what's to come.

Snuffaluphagus

Club Legend
Sep 10, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I haven't seen him live but I'll refer you to our WA writer's write-up from last week:

15 Liam Henry
The Derby product demonstrated why he is so highly touted in this year’s draft pool, especially by Fremantle who can select him under their Next-Generation Academy. Henry displayed his offensive flair and defensive soundness in a very well-rounded performance. He gathered 16 possessions, laid eight tackles, grabbed seven marks, recorded three inside 50s and kicked a magnificent goal in the second quarter, when he roved a pack inside 50 and snapped it through.

Any news on him will filter through here.
Haha yeah I saw that. The writer just seemed extremely positive given I havent heard anyone mention his name before (to be highly touted) and all the write-ups seem like we are about to draft superstars from our NGA. Will have the page bookmarked. Thanks

Last edited:

LemmingMaster

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2008
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
I tend to agree, but I guess that's the difference with Power Rankings vs. Phantom Draft. You can still rate players higher even if they go later. Jackson has so little footy compared to others but I liked what I saw in the two National Under 18 Championship games last year. Gould is one shooting up in my eyes and they are getting him some minutes in the midfield this year from what I've heard so I'm excited to see what's to come.
I mean if Gould could develop into a midfielder, that would make him next level. Then again he could be just another Fogarty clone and be a jack of all trades, master of none. (I know it is early days Adelaide fans and he may develop into a dangerous player)

Pie 4 Life

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2003
Dragon Island
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Dragons FFC
Haha yeah I saw that. The writer just seemed extremely positive given I havent head anyone mention his name before (to be highly touted) and all the write-ups seem like we are about to draft superstars from our NGA. Will have the page bookmarked. Thanks
Yeah being West Australian often they will be, and until I see him live myself then I can't dispute it, but if I do, I'll update you. Will know more once Champs roll around.

Pie 4 Life

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2003
Dragon Island
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Dragons FFC
Pie 4 Life
Cooper Stephens injury ... do you have it affecting his draft position?

Not the year if you want CHF's ?..
I had him in that 15-20 bracket coming into the year. He had some solid without being outstanding performances and now of course he’s gone till June. Hopefully he can have a few big games when he’s back because he’s a beat prospect. Probably lacks that elite trait that some of the top handful have, but he’s also fairly solid across the board.

Correct re: CHFs you’ve got Dean, Emerson Jeka, Sladojevic I rated at U16 level but he’s one of those bigger kids so keen to see him again. WA have a couple I’m looking at as well.

Not real monsters per say or those that are aren’t athletically gifted - ie. no Max Kings floating around this year.

philthy05

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
adelaide 36ers
I mean if Gould could develop into a midfielder, that would make him next level. Then again he could be just another Fogarty clone and be a jack of all trades, master of none. (I know it is early days Adelaide fans and he may develop into a dangerous player)
I don’t remember Fogarty getting 24d in any of his games.

Gould has shown an ability to find the footy that Fogarty hasn’t even to date in his career so there’s that.

Top Bottom