Draft Watcher Slice of Pie: 2019 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apart from Dev Robertson, any surprises from the first night mate?
The talls surprised a bit, Harrison Jones and Josh Worrell were touted as first rounders leading up to the night with strong rumours. Then there was always going to be one or two of Bianco/Rivers/Rantall fall out, but was not expecting all three to do so, which was interesting. Overall the next 10 picks still has quality so will be interesting to see who comes for Port's pick.

The talls surprised a bit, Harrison Jones and Josh Worrell were touted as first rounders leading up to the night with strong rumours. Then there was always going to be one or two of Bianco/Rivers/Rantall fall out, but was not expecting all three to do so, which was interesting. Overall the next 10 picks still has quality so will be interesting to see who comes for Port's pick.
My question is not so much who comes for Ports pick, but more “who for”.

My question is not so much who comes for Ports pick, but more “who for”.
I can understand why you'd have an interest in it. Robertson will be there at Brisbane's pick if it stays with Port. I think we'll have two types of teams trying to get it. The first is teams trying to nab Robertson/mids and the second is teams trying to nab Jones/Worrell. You hope it's the latter rather than the former.

This post aged well for Collingwood!

I'll second that Pie 4 Life , you're my go to guy re the draftees and your AFL Draft Central website is on it's own for draft info, thanks to you and all your scouts and writers, sensational job.

Not happy your mob got my boy Jay but.... ;)

I'll second that Pie 4 Life , you're my go to guy re the draftees and your AFL Draft Central website is on it's own for draft info, thanks to you and all your scouts and writers, sensational job.

Not happy your mob got my boy Jay but.... ;)
It’s about time we got another Rebel! I was happy we got Apples but Jay is one I can’t wait to see. Happy with our draft this year.

As usual I’ll be back next year, not quite as optimistic about the draft crop but usually it turns out better than you hope so here’s hoping!

Hey Pie, could i quickly grab your opinion on why Emerson Jeka slid so heavily in the draft order in the 12-18 months prior to the draft. Obviously there was an injury, but was that the only reason he fell so low?

Hey Pie, could i quickly grab your opinion on why Emerson Jeka slid so heavily in the draft order in the 12-18 months prior to the draft. Obviously there was an injury, but was that the only reason he fell so low?
The areas of improvement for Emerson are his aggression - he can take a contested mark no worries, but needs to impact the game more for a player of his size such as crashing packs, making opposition players worry etc. - and his consistency. He would look like a dominant tall for a quarter here and there but it has not all come together yet. I think he's good value where he was taken. I considered him in that 50-70 bracket, and could have been higher with some renewed consistency. Did have some injury interruptions this year too.

Pie 4 Life
I'm here looking for some reassurance re our Gollant pick, I've gone back and looked at some of his games and other than he's very underdeveloped bodywise he doesn't look quick, plays mostly outside, kicking looks so so and other than looking OK overhead and sticking a couple of nice tackles I'm seeing a player that looks very much a rookie pick or a player that might have been worth another look if he came back as an over-ager?

Pie 4 Life
I'm here looking for some reassurance re our Gollant pick, I've gone back and looked at some of his games and other than he's very underdeveloped bodywise he doesn't look quick, plays mostly outside, kicking looks so so and other than looking OK overhead and sticking a couple of nice tackles I'm seeing a player that looks very much a rookie pick or a player that might have been worth another look if he came back as an over-ager?
You're right that he could well have been either of those things - a rookie or come back as an over-ager and I don't think many would have been too shocked. But having not seen as much of him as others - because he was a late inclusion - I like to hear from them as to what they think of themselves, and he rates his game sense as his number one strength. That could well be the hooking point for the Crows, who see him as that prototype midfielder who is good in the air and at ground level. This draft was a strange one and particularly the second half of it, was about finding a player with some traits that attract clubs and I'd say they saw enough from the glimpses that they could turn him into something special. At 191cm, he is that midfielder everyone wants, and if he has game smarts as well as aerial ability and defensive pressure then he's got enough they can work on him and try to see how far development can take him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back