Draft Watcher Slice of Pie: 2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Finn Maginess is a bit underrated on BigFooty, he looks like a good on baller to me with a lot of AFL attributes. I know you've stated you watch more country than metro games though.
He's in that 20-40 bracket for me at the moment. Honestly it's still very early to be too confident outside the top 15. It's the AFL Academy types standing out with a heap of roughies. He's certainly on my watch list.

AFL Young Guns Series - Game 1 - Trevor Barker Oval 9.30am on Sunday

City/Metro:

1 Cody Hirst
2 Connor Thar
3 Lachlan McLean
4 Joe Ayton-Delaney
5 Jackson Edwards
6 Josh Kemp
8 Angus Hanrahan
9 Sam Graham
10 Noah Wheeler
11 Riley Verbi
12 Daly Andrews
13 Ollie Simpson
14 Muhammed Saad
15 Ayce Taylor
18 Sunny Brazier
19 Owen King
21 James Blanck
22 Aaron Clarke
23 Stefan Radovanovic
25 Joel Nathan
26 Darcy Bennett
27 Will Kennedy
29 Kallan Dawson
30 Riley Smith

2 Cal Wellings
3 Campbell Hustwaite
4 Jai Nanscawen
6 Aiden Domic
7 Zane Barzen
8 James Cleaver
9 Charlie Wilson
10 Matty Lloyd
11 Kyle Dunkley
13 Harry Stubbings
14 Jed Hill
15 Riley Clarke
17 Jacob Atley
18 Mitch Riordan
21 Charlie Sprague
22 Sam Christensen
24 Sam Glover
25 Kyle Reid
26 Liam Fiore
27 Riley Bowman
28 Ben Kelly
30 Bailey Schmidt

By my count, just the three players who hadn't gone through the TAC Cup pathway, so plenty of unlucky players there who missed out. This game will mean a hell of a lot more than previous years with the mid-season draft coming up.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
AFL Young Guns Series - Game 1 - Trevor Barker Oval 9.30am on Sunday

City/Metro:

1 Cody Hirst
2 Connor Thar
3 Lachlan McLean
4 Joe Ayton-Delaney
5 Jackson Edwards
6 Josh Kemp
8 Angus Hanrahan
9 Sam Graham
10 Noah Wheeler
11 Riley Verbi
12 Daly Andrews
13 Ollie Simpson
14 Muhammed Saad
15 Ayce Taylor
18 Sunny Brazier
19 Owen King
21 James Blanck
22 Aaron Clarke
23 Stefan Radovanovic
25 Joel Nathan
26 Darcy Bennett
27 Will Kennedy
29 Kallan Dawson
30 Riley Smith

2 Cal Wellings
3 Campbell Hustwaite
4 Jai Nanscawen
6 Aiden Domic
7 Zane Barzen
8 James Cleaver
9 Charlie Wilson
10 Matty Lloyd
11 Kyle Dunkley
13 Harry Stubbings
14 Jed Hill
15 Riley Clarke
17 Jacob Atley
18 Mitch Riordan
21 Charlie Sprague
22 Sam Christensen
24 Sam Glover
25 Kyle Reid
26 Liam Fiore
27 Riley Bowman
28 Ben Kelly
30 Bailey Schmidt

By my count, just the three players who hadn't gone through the TAC Cup pathway, so plenty of unlucky players there who missed out. This game will mean a hell of a lot more than previous years with the mid-season draft coming up.
Are they all available for the mid season draft?

Who are the main kids who might get looked at?

Are they all available for the mid season draft?

Who are the main kids who might get looked at?
Yep sure am. Quite a few came close to being drafted (hence why they are in the game). I know Jacob Atley came very close to being drafted by Essendon, James Blanck and Josh Kemp had a fair bit of interest too. It really depends on the teams and their needs. Lower teams will look at these guys, while the premiership fancies might look at the SANFL, VFL or WAFL to "top up". Collingwood might want to bring in KPD depth given Dunn is the LTI they lost, but they probably won't look at a Blanck, they will look at someone who is ready to walk in now.

Will be fascinating to see which kids could have an immediate impact and which way clubs lean.

wafooty85

WA Scout
May 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Im not sure if we are talking about the mid season draft but I wouldn't mind some speed off half back to inject

Soggy72

Rookie
May 6, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Attachments

• CDC486AC-CE07-4A26-9384-3AD07BDA37CB.jpeg
    CDC486AC-CE07-4A26-9384-3AD07BDA37CB.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 244

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Rankings updated as per my Power Rankings from Monday night here.

Can't wait for Champs to start and be able to accurately compare some of the names going head-to-head.
I take it you were in attendance at the Young Guns game?

Any standouts, interested in your opinion on Ben Kelly and wondering how our delistee Jackson Edwards went?

I take it you were in attendance at the Young Guns game?

Any standouts, interested in your opinion on Ben Kelly and wondering how our delistee Jackson Edwards went?
Wasn't in attendance as I was out at other NAB League games on the day, but Ben Kelly I saw today (and have seen him a few times this year live), I rate really highly as a 19 year-old prospect. In all honesty I think he's exactly what the Pies need - a developing ruck/KPD who can fill a hole and has good athleticism. Love his second efforts and his ability to take the game on and use his solid athletic traits for a big man. I wouldn't have an issue us taking him in the MSD, though I have a feeling we'll go with someone like a Marlion Pickett if anyone.

Jackson Edwards is an interesting prospect, haven't seen him live yet, and he probably needs a big year for another chance, but at least he's at a good VFL club to give himself the best chance.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Pete very interested in your views on Northern Knight Lachlan Potter ?
Every time I see him play he just shows jawdropping speed, evasiveness and dare, he's just about my favourite NAB League player to watch, still a bit rough around the edges to my eye but geezus he's exciting and will have one of the better 2019 draft highlight reels. Can't see him not getting drafted but where do you think he sits in the scheme of things draft wise? Late 2nd - 3rd round or later?

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Every time I see him play he just shows jawdropping speed, evasiveness and dare, he's just about my favourite NAB League player to watch, still a bit rough around the edges to my eye but geezus he's exciting and will have one of the better 2019 draft highlight reels. Can't see him not getting drafted but where do you think he sits in the scheme of things draft wise? Late 2nd - 3rd round or later?
Any of the Lions second pick thanks.

Grundybrodes123

Draftee
Apr 4, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Potter was a real eye catcher yesterday and has been for the past few weeks. Another knights player who’s arguably been best on ground every game he’s played for them is Dintiosante. What are your thoughts? Looks to be a very damaging player for his size.

Third rounder onwards for me, his athleticism (break neck speed) is as good if not the best in the draft crop, so you know it will catch club’s eyes. For mine he needs to lower the eyes when kicking, can tend to throw it on the boot. He’s more damaging when running with it, drawing an opponent and giving it to a player who can kick long inside 50. Nice traits, just a few things to work on.

Potter was a real eye catcher yesterday and has been for the past few weeks. Another knights player who’s arguably been best on ground every game he’s played for them is Dintiosante. What are your thoughts? Looks to be a very damaging player for his size.
I like him but I know realistically he isn’t overly athletic, lacks some penetration and isn’t an elite kick. I hope he gets a chance because he is more damaging than others, but he will need a season like he’s having for it to happen. Seems a good kid too.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Third rounder onwards for me, his athleticism (break neck speed) is as good if not the best in the draft crop, so you know it will catch club’s eyes. For mine he needs to lower the eyes when kicking, can tend to throw it on the boot. He’s more damaging when running with it, drawing an opponent and giving it to a player who can kick long inside 50. Nice traits, just a few things to work on.
Similar to Petruccelle, but in a slightly stronger and/or deeper draft?

Similar to Petruccelle, but in a slightly stronger and/or deeper draft?
Speed for speed yeah, but Petruccelle also won more contested ball than Potter. He's more of your pure outside runner because he does not have the build nor desire (IMO) to go inside.

Mar 13, 2008
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
Speed for speed yeah, but Petruccelle also won more contested ball than Potter. He's more of your pure outside runner because he does not have the build nor desire (IMO) to go inside.

I watched Petruccelle live in Perth and he stood out that game, just had low possession numbers but was damaging. I always thought he would be a Saad styled rebounding defender.

It is interesting that there are often a few names that drift in drafts that you like and it is great when they make it. (I still wonderfully forget all the other random players I loved that did not do as well).

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
I watched Petruccelle live in Perth and he stood out that game, just had low possession numbers but was damaging. I always thought he would be a Saad styled rebounding defender.

It is interesting that there are often a few names that drift in drafts that you like and it is great when they make it. (I still wonderfully forget all the other random players I loved that did not do as well).
I was at that game and sat with a Blues recruiter who asked Monocle and I where Petruccelle would play. From memory he had played back pocket and wing and all three of us were uncertain where and what he would transition to if and when drafted. As you say - low possession count but noticeable. His main detractor was game sense and in that game he looked more Ash Smith fast but what next and then the next quarter he hit a couple targets. Hard to get a read in in 2017.

Glad to say West Coast got him and although he is playing small forward, I am seeing is game sense develop nicely and I can see options down the track for wing and fast paced rebounding defender.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
That’s somewhat disappointing.

It’s pretty clear that Fagan has a few requirements for our draftees. Having the desire and ability to win your own ball when required is one.

That’s somewhat disappointing.

It’s pretty clear that Fagan has a few requirements for our draftees. Having the desire and ability to win your own ball when required is one.
There’s a kid that goes by the name of Lachie Ash who has some nice speed and wins his own ball (though you’ll hear me mention him plenty)... Josh Honey is another quick who just needs to build consistency. There’s plenty of them around and aside from Ash ( ;) ) they are all going to have flaws/areas they really need to improve.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There’s a kid that goes by the name of Lachie Ash who has some nice speed and wins his own ball (though you’ll hear me mention him plenty)... Josh Honey is another quick who just needs to build consistency. There’s plenty of them around and aside from Ash ( ;) ) they are all going to have flaws/areas they really need to improve.
I've been on the Ash bandwagon since the beginning of the year. Talked about him plenty myself this year both on here and the Lions board. He'd be my wet dream draft pick. But alas, our first pick is that Collingwood pick, and Ash isn't lasting that late. As I just mentioned on Ed's thread, I'd gladly trade our first three picks on draft night to GWS to move up to their Essendon pick if Ash was still on board (with GWS's 3rd rounder coming back as well).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back