Draft Watcher Slice of Pie: 2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious, when you scout these u18 players, what do you usually look for and how do you document it? Like do you have a set of criteria that you take to the game and write it down on a notepad/laptop or is it just using the "eye test" and memory?

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Pete, any chance you could add #13 Jay Rantall to the Rebels team list, when I click on the GWV Rebels on the ladder the player list comes up minus #13...unless I'm doing something wrong?

Mar 13, 2008
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
Just curious, when you scout these u18 players, what do you usually look for and how do you document it? Like do you have a set of criteria that you take to the game and write it down on a notepad/laptop or is it just using the "eye test" and memory?
I have limited viewing options, so I normally have a list of names recommended and watch them.
I remember in Cerra draft he stood out, I instantly feel in love.
I then look for AFL moments.
Shai Bolton dash and clean skills.
Cerra tackles and clean skills.
Zurhaar, I remember his attack on the man.

Then you get the obvious skilled players which you're looking for weaknesses.
Tall defenders I like closing speed and game sense.
Forwards is leading patterns separation and mongrel,.
I hate players that double touch.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
AFL Young Guns Series - Game 1 - Trevor Barker Oval 9.30am on Sunday

City/Metro:

1 Cody Hirst
2 Connor Thar
3 Lachlan McLean
4 Joe Ayton-Delaney
5 Jackson Edwards
6 Josh Kemp
8 Angus Hanrahan
9 Sam Graham
10 Noah Wheeler
11 Riley Verbi
12 Daly Andrews
13 Ollie Simpson
14 Muhammed Saad
15 Ayce Taylor
18 Sunny Brazier
19 Owen King
21 James Blanck
22 Aaron Clarke
23 Stefan Radovanovic
25 Joel Nathan
26 Darcy Bennett
27 Will Kennedy
29 Kallan Dawson
30 Riley Smith

2 Cal Wellings
3 Campbell Hustwaite
4 Jai Nanscawen
6 Aiden Domic
7 Zane Barzen
8 James Cleaver
9 Charlie Wilson
10 Matty Lloyd
11 Kyle Dunkley
13 Harry Stubbings
14 Jed Hill
15 Riley Clarke
17 Jacob Atley
18 Mitch Riordan
21 Charlie Sprague
22 Sam Christensen
24 Sam Glover
25 Kyle Reid
26 Liam Fiore
27 Riley Bowman
28 Ben Kelly
30 Bailey Schmidt

By my count, just the three players who hadn't gone through the TAC Cup pathway, so plenty of unlucky players there who missed out. This game will mean a hell of a lot more than previous years with the mid-season draft coming up.

Whats the story with Barzen... I thought he showed potential last year?
Would you have KRied as the best kpd missed on this .. he is around 193 I think Also listening to Shifter yesterday and Josh May was mentioned... 195cm mid? Have you seen him play? .. seems mids really are just KPP that can run these days... Kemp another?

I have a laptop/notebook depending on whether conditions and pretty much take notes on moments I see that I like. I already have an idea of players roughly that I like at the start of each season, and that number whittles down as the year goes on. In the last couple of months late in each year I usually work out some of the bottom-agers that I want to see in the next season.

The traits I rate:
1 clean ball use
2 foot skills under duress or difficulty
3 risk-taking skills - might turn it over but at least goes for that potentially damaging kick and can pull it off
4 win own footy - goes in and gets hardballs, not just relies on handball receives, which I feel is a better indicator than a CP/UP ratio
5 bravery/courage - goes when he has to go and that's only something you can identify by watching live really
6 X-factor/game breaking ability - can turn a game and win it off his own boot/tear the opposition to shreds with damaging runs

There's plenty of others of course, but if the above do that

Pete, any chance you could add #13 Jay Rantall to the Rebels team list, when I click on the GWV Rebels on the ladder the player list comes up minus #13...unless I'm doing something wrong?
Yeah I updated the team lists to 2019 on their team pages earlier this week funnily enough, so should be working now.

Whats the story with Barzen... I thought he showed potential last year?
Would you have KRied as the best kpd missed on this .. he is around 193 I think Also listening to Shifter yesterday and Josh May was mentioned... 195cm mid? Have you seen him play? .. seems mids really are just KPP that can run these days... Kemp another?
May can play defence as a key position or medium, he moves well off half-back. Reid was certainly one of the better KPD to miss out last year, and is always a chance to prove himself at VFL level this year. His size might have been against him, but he seemed to cope well, it was more his consistency at times - he could nullify opponents but when he had a couple of goals kicked on him he could drop his head, so it's improving that mental side too.

Kemp can play anywhere, I expect he will play midfield at Champs though.

Vic Country squad 39 players, 10 from Gippsland Power.

Serong, Flanders, Pepper, Dunkley*, Phillips, B Smith, J Smith, Comben, Sparkes, R Baldi

Dandenong 8, Bendigo 7, GWV 6, Geelong 5, Murray 3.

*Dunkley probably won't be there given Monday's draft, Riordan also named so a chance to miss given the draft. Cooper Stephens and Flynn Perez named in the squad too and obviously won't play, so take those four out and it's 35 in the side which is the usual number.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I have a laptop/notebook depending on whether conditions and pretty much take notes on moments I see that I like. I already have an idea of players roughly that I like at the start of each season, and that number whittles down as the year goes on. In the last couple of months late in each year I usually work out some of the bottom-agers that I want to see in the next season.

The traits I rate:
1 clean ball use
2 foot skills under duress or difficulty
3 risk-taking skills - might turn it over but at least goes for that potentially damaging kick and can pull it off
4 win own footy - goes in and gets hardballs, not just relies on handball receives, which I feel is a better indicator than a CP/UP ratio
5 bravery/courage - goes when he has to go and that's only something you can identify by watching live really
6 X-factor/game breaking ability - can turn a game and win it off his own boot/tear the opposition to shreds with damaging runs

There's plenty of others of course, but if the above do that

Yeah I updated the team lists to 2019 on their team pages earlier this week funnily enough, so should be working now.
:thumbsu:

Mar 13, 2008
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
Just on the concept of drafting talls, I wonder if there is something in this concept.

At junior level, the better talls often move to the forward line first, then the leftover play in defense. (Not always the case, so not a blanket rule of thumb)

If there is a junior level forward that has some question marks on their ability at AFL level, maybe they can then become a defender?

Thinking names like Battle, Jones, Sicily.... (Just noticed Carlton have shifted two players previously considered forwards as defenders in Levi and Jones. I also noted that Battle is also considered a defender now) I also noted that Oscar Allen played as a defender for the Eagles as well.

Could there be something in clubs considering tall forwards as players with a high chance of being able to be converted into defenders.
Those that cannot forward, defend?

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
May can play defence as a key position or medium, he moves well off half-back. Reid was certainly one of the better KPD to miss out last year, and is always a chance to prove himself at VFL level this year. His size might have been against him, but he seemed to cope well, it was more his consistency at times - he could nullify opponents but when he had a couple of goals kicked on him he could drop his head, so it's improving that mental side too.

Kemp can play anywhere, I expect he will play midfield at Champs though.

So May... draftable..?

So May... draftable..?
I'd want him to play against stronger opponents/when competing for roles against Oakleigh's best before putting anything too much into him. He has looked solid at times, but like once was against Dandy at Shepley when realistically Bianco and Williams are the two draftable players on his side, so of course he stands out compared to the rest.

Just on the concept of drafting talls, I wonder if there is something in this concept.

At junior level, the better talls often move to the forward line first, then the leftover play in defense. (Not always the case, so not a blanket rule of thumb)

If there is a junior level forward that has some question marks on their ability at AFL level, maybe they can then become a defender?

Thinking names like Battle, Jones, Sicily.... (Just noticed Carlton have shifted two players previously considered forwards as defenders in Levi and Jones. I also noted that Battle is also considered a defender now) I also noted that Oscar Allen played as a defender for the Eagles as well.

Could there be something in clubs considering tall forwards as players with a high chance of being able to be converted into defenders.
Those that cannot forward, defend?
Possibly. I also think clubs believe in versatility, because of the ability for injuries to happen mid-game and for the coach to have to shuffle around the magnets. Or even if a certain combination isn't working, switch a forward and defender. We saw it with Essendon in regards to Hurley and Hooker in the past. Ben Reid and Brody Mihocek is another combination - which may well be used up the other end tonight if Buddy gets onto a few against Madgen.

Recruiters like to see whether they can play at both ends and not be pidgeonholed unless they are a gun like Max King for example who doesn't need to play in defence because he is so dominant up forward.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I'd want him to play against stronger opponents/when competing for roles against Oakleigh's best before putting anything too much into him. He has looked solid at times, but like once was against Dandy at Shepley when realistically Bianco and Williams are the two draftable players on his side, so of course he stands out compared to the rest.

So Rookie or perhaps a another year as a 19 yo?

Mar 13, 2008
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
Possibly. I also think clubs believe in versatility, because of the ability for injuries to happen mid-game and for the coach to have to shuffle around the magnets. Or even if a certain combination isn't working, switch a forward and defender. We saw it with Essendon in regards to Hurley and Hooker in the past. Ben Reid and Brody Mihocek is another combination - which may well be used up the other end tonight if Buddy gets onto a few against Madgen.

Recruiters like to see whether they can play at both ends and not be pidgeonholed unless they are a gun like Max King for example who doesn't need to play in defence because he is so dominant up forward.

I'm more thinking along the lines of drafting players.

I will use the Saints as an example.

They need a defender and instead of potentially searching for the best defender at TAC cup, they find a very good forward that may not be up to standard as a forward at AFL level. Josh Battle? They recruit him with the concept of turning him into a defender.

At TAC level, do you think the best talls often (not all the time) play as forwards and then those that cannot make it as forwards move into defense?

They need a defender and instead of potentially searching for the best defender at TAC cup, they find a very good forward that may not be up to standard as a forward at AFL level. Josh Battle? They recruit him with the concept of turning him into a defender.

At TAC level, do you think the best talls often (not all the time) play as forwards and then those that cannot make it as forwards move into defense?
In his draft year, Battle always had that question mark of whether or not he could play a key role at AFL level, and I think it helps that he is a good contested mark and read the ball in flight. If a forward can do that, they can transition into a defender. If they are the weaknesses, then that's where you're going to have a problem.

Of course clubs shuffle players around because they want them to have the best chance of being drafted so between recruiters and club people, if a player is losing interest because of underwhelming performances up forward, then they throw them back. It's not just KPP either, it's mid-sized players too.

I think clubs look for players with certain traits, like the ones I mentioned above, and that gives them a bigger tick that they can possibly be groomed to play a different role at AFL level.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Pete do you know what specifically big Patty Glanford's injury is, saw him hopping around Mars in a moon boot the other day and didn't get a chance to ask him what the problem was exactly. He might not be the most athletically gifted but he's a bloody competitive and underrated Ruckman IMO and has been sorely missed.

Pete do you know what specifically big Patty Glanford's injury is, saw him hopping around Mars in a moon boot the other day and didn't get a chance to ask him what the problem was exactly. He might not be the most athletically gifted but he's a bloody competitive and underrated Ruckman IMO and has been sorely missed.
Not sure as they usually send out injury reports for AFL Academy related players, but not others. Thought they might have mentioned it on Rebels TV at some point.

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

I think AFL clubs draft players all the time to put in different positions than what they play at junior level.

Alex Pearce was a forward at junior level but immediately played him as a key defender at WAFL, then brought him into AFL as a forward then sent him back.

But we also immediately tried out Sam Sturt (at WAFL level) at half back then moved him onto a wing, because that is what you do with someone who has played all their junior footy as a forward.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

Naughton (and Cox for us) traveling down the other side of that highway.

Quick notes from games today:

Multiple goalkickers named.

Country win narrowly.

VC: Cahill 2, M. Martin 2
Allies: Conroy 3

Conroy had a chance to kick the game winner after marking seconds before the final siren, but sprayed it to the right. Tom Green prolific as always, Cam Wild was good in the last term playing forward. Conroy presented all day and took his chances mostly (bar the last one). Riley Baldi no doubt amongst the bigger ball winners, Rantall copped a front-on contract from Tom Green which would knock the socks off most. Sam Flanders played through the midfield and spent time forward, it was mostly rotating players around and see how they fared.

Metro get it done.

Metro: Jones 4
Allies: Cumberland 2

Harrison Jones booted four, but played pretty deep, Eddie Ford took a massive hanger in the first - was the highlight of a fairly dull game if I'm honest. Noah Cumberland looked good, Hamish Ellem booted 1.3 and had a shot into the man on the mark but at least looked dangerous. Didn't mind Gaden either. Worth mentioning Allies lost two talls in the first half, so had to shuffle the magnets. Budarick composed, Gulden won a lot of it but made some uncharacteristic errors by foot. Ryan Byrnes was done for the day after quarter time with ice on his hamstring.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Quick notes from games today:

Multiple goalkickers named.

Country win narrowly.

VC: Cahill 2, M. Martin 2
Allies: Conroy 3

Conroy had a chance to kick the game winner after marking seconds before the final siren, but sprayed it to the right. Tom Green prolific as always, Cam Wild was good in the last term playing forward. Conroy presented all day and took his chances mostly (bar the last one). Riley Baldi no doubt amongst the bigger ball winners, Rantall copped a front-on contract from Tom Green which would knock the socks off most. Sam Flanders played through the midfield and spent time forward, it was mostly rotating players around and see how they fared.

Metro get it done.

Metro: Jones 4
Allies: Cumberland 2

Harrison Jones booted four, but played pretty deep, Eddie Ford took a massive hanger in the first - was the highlight of a fairly dull game if I'm honest. Noah Cumberland looked good, Hamish Ellem booted 1.3 and had a shot into the man on the mark but at least looked dangerous. Didn't mind Gaden either. Worth mentioning Allies lost two talls in the first half, so had to shuffle the magnets. Budarick composed, Gulden won a lot of it but made some uncharacteristic errors by foot. Ryan Byrnes was done for the day after quarter time with ice on his hamstring.

see your review of the game is so much more refined than my mess of a review, i agree i got bored during the second game, i dont know if it was the 4+ hours watching footy or if the game was dull or a combination of both.

see your review of the game is so much more refined than my mess of a review, i agree i got bored during the second game, i dont know if it was the 4+ hours watching footy or if the game was dull or a combination of both.
I've been doing it for a lot longer so I'm used to sitting through games that might not be as exciting. It means you notice the exciting moments more because they standout. Honestly there was not a lot from either game that looked thrilling. The stars played well and a few others showed signs, but it's more or less a warm-up for the Champs.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
I've been doing it for a lot longer so I'm used to sitting through games that might not be as exciting. It means you notice the exciting moments more because they standout. Honestly there was not a lot from either game that looked thrilling. The stars played well and a few others showed signs, but it's more or less a warm-up for the Champs.

i guess the standout for me was Harrison Jones' performance, Eddie Ford and his big mark and big goal, the hit on Rantall and as you say the good players playing well as expected.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
i guess the standout for me was Harrison Jones' performance, Eddie Ford and his big mark and big goal, the hit on Rantall and as you say the good players playing well as expected.

Attachments

• F239FFDA-7A8E-486E-9F7D-671F67BBB1A7.jpeg
    F239FFDA-7A8E-486E-9F7D-671F67BBB1A7.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 258
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back