Draft Watcher Slice of Pie: 2019 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fascination with "inside bull" I find baffling. It is not enough to simply to big, you have to actually be good. So when you say you want a Cripps style player, what you are really saying is "I want one of the best players in the game". Well no ****.

Would you rather Ellis-Yolman or Dayne Zorko?

Me personally, I like really good players. I don't care how big they are.

I was thinking about posting his name as well, but unsure how to call a player an big inside mid. Those brute inside mids are very hard to judge. If someone watched Fyfe as a junior, you would have been laughed at if you called him a big inside midfielder.

Rivers is super smart and listening to the coaching staff, he is playing in the back half to develop his defensive game and I really love it.
If you watch Fyfe's u18 champs highlights you'd be forgiven for thinking he was a spud that wasn't draftable.

Can you tell us anything else about Rivers?

Speed, agility, leap. Scope to play which positions. Work ethic. Anything football or non football related.

I don't have testing results, Pie may have them?

Speed - Currently looks average to slightly above average.
Agility - Looks very good.
Leap - Average

I think he is a midfielder first that currently is looking perfectly at home as a defender. Work ethic live looks amazing and his ability to read play is my highlight. Some players just know where to run and what position to place themselves in.

What are your concerns?

No massive concerns, but when talking about top 3 picks like others, just not sure I currently rate him there.

If the massive press was not for Rowell and Anderson, I might even have someone like Kemp, Ash also higher than them to go with Young.

Green V Robertson - What is the massive difference?

Just trying to work out what you're getting with Green that you may not get from some other players. In saying that he does look like a contested beast, so maybe he is a Clayton Oliver styled player and certainly worth a top 3 pick.

The fascination with "inside bull" I find baffling. It is not enough to simply to big, you have to actually be good. So when you say you want a Cripps style player, what you are really saying is "I want one of the best players in the game". Well no ****.

If you watch Fyfe's u18 champs highlights you'd be forgiven for thinking he was a spud that wasn't draftable.

Pendlebury v Ellis-Yolman

I mean certainly the Dangerfield, Fyfe, Cripps... style player is certainly wonderful to have, but they're bloody hard to find. Just give me a player that knows how to find the ball and even better if they have a higher percentage of their possessions gained by their own means.

IMO you need a mix of styles and sizes in your team to be successful, you can't have a midfield consisting of all Zorko types or all Cripps types. A couple of dominant inside players a couple of outside runners would be a great start.

A good 4 for me to base a midfield around would be Patrick Cripps, Lachie Neale, Lachie Whitfield and Josh Kelly...... throw Dayne Zorko in there as well:D.

IMO you need a mix of styles and sizes in your team to be successful, you can't have a midfield consisting of all Zorko types or all Cripps types. A couple of dominant inside players a couple of outside runners would be a great start.

A good 4 for me to base a midfield around would be Patrick Cripps, Lachie Neale, Lachie Whitfield and Josh Kelly...... throw Dayne Zorko in there as well:D.
I agree, and it tends to happen naturally anyway (except maybe at the Bombers who love sub 180 mids).

What I think you want even less, is drafting players that you hope will become something you need/want over players that are actually good but don't fit your model. You can't force the type of player you want to be as good as you want. They either are or aren't and you are better off with a good player that isn't exactly what you wanted than a spud that could have been anything.

Pendlebury v Ellis-Yolman

I mean certainly the Dangerfield, Fyfe, Cripps... style player is certainly wonderful to have, but they're bloody hard to find. Just give me a player that knows how to find the ball and even better if they have a higher percentage of their possessions gained by their own means.
Fyfe, Mundy, Blakely all currently in our side and I think would be regarded as "Bulls". They are not all that rare, and most teams have them. What is hard to find is A grade players.

Fyfe, Mundy, Blakely all currently in our side and I think would be regarded as "Bulls". They are not all that rare, and most teams have them. What is hard to find is A grade players.

Dropping names like Fyfe and Mundy and saying that they are not rare, I find interesting.

Blakely has not really achieved a heap of midfield minute but I do have high hopes as well. I also think Cerra has the ability to play midfield minutes as well.

Dropping names like Fyfe and Mundy and saying that they are not rare, I find interesting.

Blakely has not really achieved a heap of midfield minute but I do have high hopes as well. I also think Cerra has the ability to play midfield minutes as well.
The rare commodity is A-grade footballers, not inside Bulls. Most sides have a few in their 22.

It is always interesting what is defined as a big bodied inside mid? Would someone like Pendlebury be okay in that role? Do you want someone to get their hands on the ball or purely you want a brute?

Devon Robertson
Brodie Kemp - Doubt he will drift far enough
Thomson Dow - He might be around the mark
Dylan Stephens - Might not be a bull, but certainly can find a contested ball .
Just my guess, I believe quite a few Lions fans were bemoaning the fact that with Jarrod Berry out injured, we didn't have a mid who could tag Patrick Cripps in our loss to Carlton.

We did draft Ely Smith last year, and fits that inside bull type, but he's had an injury interrupted first year, and honestly looked the least impressive of our 2018 draftees.

We have drafted quite a few mids in the past couple of years, with Smith really being the only brute type. McCluggae is your Pendlebury type, Jarrod Berry is playing an inside outside roll. Rayner doesn't look like he'll see much midfield time anytime soon as his tank is really poor. Zac Bailey has shown he's got game as an inside outside type who can burst from packs and break lines. Tom Joyce looks like a Lachie Neale type playing in the NEAFL. Tom Berry has been playing a forward mid roll, but does play very similar to his older brother.

For mine Rivers will be a midfielder who may bob up on the flanks here and there, fairly good at everything, runs on the board, a good work ethic but not outstanding at anything. There is less risk, but also much less "potential upside" than say Jeremy Sharp or even someone like Bianco. If you don't have a tall midfielder and want one then he is a reasonable bet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi Pie 4 Life , IMO we need another big bodied inside midfielder or 2 whether by draft or trade, in your opinion is there likely to be a big bodied inside midfielder available at our 1st pick this draft (15-18 selection) that would be an upgrade on Ely Smith.

Also it would come in handy if the Pies could trade us Brayden Sier in the off season:D, you have any interest in Tom Cutler?;)
Haha don't think we will be trading Sier. If we trade Sier and keep Greenwood and Wills there will be riots.

In terms of big-bodied mids, I see most have been discussed. Tom Green will be out of reach, you've got Rivers who has that touch of class, Kemp who has that nice burst but just has to iron out his kicking at top speed, and then Cooper Stephens who is just solid across the board, just injured currently. Unfortunately losing Riordan and Dunkley to AFL level meant two bigger bodies are out of reach early in the year.

A lot of the bigger bodies are either top-end (Anderson, Green) or lower end of the draft.

Have neglected this thread a bit, so apologies being busy with work and all (which is obviously all this stuff anyway). Power Rankings come out next week so might as well just update OP when that happens as I forgot to last time.

Looking forward to heading to Queensland and seeing the U16s, following the last couple of days of Champs in the next week.

Hey P4L, sorry if you've already talked about him, but what can you tell me about Elijah Taylor?
Yeah he's on the radar for mine. Could push into the top 20 with consistency, clearly has great talent and I know Cal went with him in his rankings today. I think I'll be just keeping an eye on him because on talent I can certainly see that, and he's thereabouts 25-35 for mine at the moment.

Pie 4 Life

Of the 2 Stingers small forwards Ned Cahill or Cody Weightman who do you rate the better, I like them both a , perhaps Cahill by a smidgen just because I get the feel when I've watched him he's a bit harder at it and his pressure without the ball is superior?

Yeah he's on the radar for mine. Could push into the top 20 with consistency, clearly has great talent and I know Cal went with him in his rankings today. I think I'll be just keeping an eye on him because on talent I can certainly see that, and he's thereabouts 25-35 for mine at the moment.
do you think cal is a bit hard on smaller players because he doesn't have oneill in his top 25! and he went back to back all aus and you have him at 8 also trent binaco and sharp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back