Draft Watcher Slice of Pie: Draft Board and Profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

So I've probably avoided posting here over the past few years because to be honest I'm not one to go out of my way and throw my thoughts out there, but I feel I have some value to add to the forum, so here it is. I'm forewarning people I'm usually not much of a ranking type person and more of an in-depth profile person, so chances are I'll do a fair few of those over the journey. But until the conclusion of the National Championships, I'll throw out my Top 30 below.

I always love a good disclaimer, so I see Vic Country sides the most, as well as Vic Metro, so yes, until I commit to more interstate players through champs, there will be a fair few of them. I'm probably more of your "what do you see as player X's strengths/weaknesses?" more so than "where will Player X go in the draft?". More importantly, if I haven't seen enough of them, I'll just say!

For my October Power rankings, they can be found on AFL Draft Central. For my September Power Rankings, they can be found on AFL Draft Central. For my August Power Rankings, they can be found on AFL Draft Central. For my July Power Rankings, they can be found on AFL Draft Central. For my June Power Rankings, they can be found on AFL Draft Central.

bjlBysd.png

Last edited:
AFL DRAFT CENTRAL PROFILES (NATIONAL COMBINE)

General Defenders:

Nicholas Baker (Lauderdale/Tasmania)
Keidean Coleman (Brisbane Lions Academy/Queensland)
Jordan Clark (Claremont/Western Australia)
Damon Greaves (East Perth/Western Australia)
Connor Idun (Geelong Falcons/Vic Country)
Buku Khamis (Western Jets/Vic Metro)
Matt McGannon (Gippsland Power/Vic Country)
Jez McLennan (Central District/South Australia)
Isaac Quaynor (Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro)
Lachlan Sholl (Calder Cannons/Vic Metro)
Durak Tucker (Peel Thunder/Western Australia)
Laitham Vandermeer (Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country)

General Forwards:
Zane Barzen (Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country)
Toby Bedford (Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country)
Jarrod Cameron (Swan Districts/Western Australia)
Angus Hanrahan (Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro)
Shane McAdam (Sturt/South Australia)
Irving Mosquito (Gippsland Power/Vic Country)
Izak Rankine (West Adelaide/South Australia)
Hayden Sampson (South Adelaide/South Australia)
Tyron Smallwood (Claremont/Western Australia)
Charlie Sprague (Geelong Falcons/Vic Country)
Sam Sturt (Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country)
Curtis Taylor (Calder Cannons/Vic Metro)

Midfielders:
Daly Andrews (Western Jets/Vic Metro)
Oscar Brownless (Geelong Falcons/Vic Country)
Zak Butters (Western Jets/Vic Metro)
Jack Bytel (Calder Cannons/Vic Metro)
Jye Caldwell (Bendigo Pioneers/Vic Country)
Riley Collier-Dawkins (Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro)
Luke English (Perth/Western Australia)
Luke Foley (Subiaco/Western Australia)
Zac Foot (Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country)
Will Golds (Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro)
Will Hamill (Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country)
Jackson Hately (Central District/South Australia)
Ian Hill (Perth/Western Australia)
Chayce Jones (Launceston/Tasmania)
Tom Joyce (East Fremantle/Western Australia)
Jacob Kennerley (Norwood/South Australia)
Ned McHenry (Geelong Falcons/Vic Country)
Xavier O'Halloran (Western Jets/Vic Metro)
Xavier O'Neill (Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro)
James Rowbottom (Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro)
Bailey Smith (Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro)
Ely Smith (Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country)
Tom Sparrow (South Adelaide/South Australia)
Sydney Stack (Perth/Western Australia)
Liam Stocker (Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro)
Tarryn Thomas (North Launceston/Tasmania)
Fraser Turner (Lauderdale/Tasmania)
Luke Valente (Norwood/South Australia)
Sam Walsh (Geelong Falcons/Vic Country)
Rhylee West (Calder Cannons/Vic Metro)

Utilities:
Noah Answerth (Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro)
Tom Berry (GWV Rebels/Vic Country)
Joel Crocker (Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro)
Xavier Duursma (Gippsland Power/Vic Country)
Connor McFadyen (Brisbane Lions Academy/Queensland)
Tom McKenzie (Northern Knights/Vic Metro)
Connor Rozee (North Adelaide/South Australia)
Bailey Scott (Gold Coast Academy/Queensland)

KPP:
Nick Blakey (Sydney Swans Academy/NSW-ACT)
James Blanck (Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro)
Riley Bowman (Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country)
Kieren Briggs (GWS GIANTS Academy/NSW-ACT)
Riley Grundy (Sturt/South Australia)
Ben Jarvis (Norwood/South Australia)
Will Kelly (Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro)
Will Kennedy (Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro)
Ben King (Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro)
Max King (Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro)
Dirk Koenen (Gold Coast Suns Academy/Queensland)
Jacob Koschitzke (Murray Bushrangers/GWS GIANTS Academy)
Jack Lukosius (WWT Eagles/South Australia)
Hugo Munn (Sturt/South Australia)
Dillon O'Reilly (East Fremantle/Western Australia)
Kyle Reid (Gippsland Power/Vic Country)
Ben Silvagni (Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro)
Bailey Williams (Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country)

Last edited:

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Hi Pie 4 Life , do you share the seemingly consensus opinion that Jack Lukosius is one off if not the best junior talent to come through in a long time?

Also how would you compare Sam Walsh's potential to that of recently high drafted mids (pre draft) eg. Cam Rayner, Clayton Oliver, Hugh McCluggage, Angus Brayshaw, Tim Taranto, Paddy Dow, Adam Cerra, LDU.

Hi Pie 4 Life , do you share the seemingly consensus opinion that Jack Lukosius is one off if not the best junior talent to come through in a long time?

Also how would you compare Sam Walsh's potential to that of recently high drafted mids (pre draft) eg. Cam Rayner, Clayton Oliver, Hugh McCluggage, Angus Brayshaw, Tim Taranto, Paddy Dow, Adam Cerra, LDU.
I do. Prior to last year I felt Christian Petracca was the best/most complete prospect I had seen over the five years I've done it (bottom-age ability). Then along came Jack. He does things that teenage key position forwards should not be able to do. He's a fantastic kick, good overhead, has a huge influence over the game and does so against men - meaning he is highly likely to be able to do it at AFL level unlike a number of KPF prospects that have failed to continue the form at the elite level or have not had the same impact.

I would rate Walsh as the most complete of those midfielders you've listed - my main concern with him is his disposal at full speed. He's kicking at just under 60 per cent this year, which could certainly be improved, but I think that's from mostly kicking at full speed or trying to put his kicks in places where teammates can't get to - just from viewing I would say he just needs to understand limitations of teammates better at times. Otherwise he is really strong in nearly all areas for what you would expect for his output

. I think if they were all in the same pool he would go one, with Hugh McCluggage two on all-round ability. Obviously in hindsight, Clayton Oliver would be ahead, but based on pure U18 ability. Angus Brayshaw is arguably the next most complete, while Paddy Dow has that ability to go to the next level and I think we'll see that in time.

One player I'll add as a point of discussion and he's in my list at #30 for this reason, is Dandenong's Zac Foot. He's a late comer to the program, was overlooked by the Stingrays initially, but has played so well he got added to Vic Country. I know the Vic Country staff are excited by what he offers which is lightning speed, good foot skills and most importantly wins his own footy! He's not a 30 plus possession ball winner, but he doesn't need to be. He's that 15-18 disposal type who just hurts you when he's one.

I'm rubbish at comparisons, and because of all this work on weekends I often only get to see Pies games, but he reminds me of Daniel Wells pre-injury. Maybe wins less of the ball than Wells in his prime, but is quicker, so one to watch.

Wells as a junior was close to the best ive see. He racked up huge numbers at WAFL level.
Probably why he went so high in the draft ;)

But certainly not saying Foot has the capability of achieving what Wells has, or even comparing them exactly at the same age - there are some distinguishing qualities between them both. But some of the attributes Foot has, you can draw comparisons to Wells or players who have the combination of speed and foot skills, but also win their own ball. He's a highlight reel who can do the hard stuff which is often the aspect missing in classy outside players.

Probably why he went so high in the draft ;)

But certainly not saying Foot has the capability of achieving what Wells has, or even comparing them exactly at the same age - there are some distinguishing qualities between them both. But some of the attributes Foot has, you can draw comparisons to Wells or players who have the combination of speed and foot skills, but also win their own ball. He's a highlight reel who can do the hard stuff which is often the aspect missing in classy outside players.
Similar to Isaac Smith perhaps?

Similar to Isaac Smith perhaps?

Yeah probably a good comparison as well. I think that combination of speed and skill is always going to catch the eye. But the fact he has the ability to win his own footy is important. I think the big thing is how he is going to go against stronger opponents at Champs. But he’s going to play this weekend to start so that’s a positive.

Mar 13, 2008
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, great to have another set of eyes and hopefully shine a different perspective on the rookies.
Having Williams high is something I like, I am very interested to see how he develops this year.
I keep thinking he may be a forward first, ruck second long term.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, great to have another set of eyes and hopefully shine a different perspective on the rookies.
Having Williams high is something I like, I am very interested to see how he develops this year.
I keep thinking he may be a forward first, ruck second long term.
Thanks.

Williams can be a bit inconsistent at times and that might result in him dropping down to a late first rounder, but what I love about him is his cleanliness. A perfect example was in the third term of that Vic Country/Allies game where on the run he just scooped it at full pace with one hand and controlled it. That combined with his athleticism makes him an enticing prospect. The fact he has booted bags of goals on occasions (such as against the Jets) and makes the most of the opportunities that come his way, I think he will be the third Victorian tall taken behind the Kings.

Mar 13, 2008
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
Thanks.

Williams can be a bit inconsistent at times and that might result in him dropping down to a late first rounder, but what I love about him is his cleanliness. A perfect example was in the third term of that Vic Country/Allies game where on the run he just scooped it at full pace with one hand and controlled it. That combined with his athleticism makes him an enticing prospect. The fact he has booted bags of goals on occasions (such as against the Jets) and makes the most of the opportunities that come his way, I think he will be the third Victorian tall taken behind the Kings.

Just seems very raw at the moment, but I've just seen enough glimpses that makes you dream about the day it all clicks.

Jackson from WA reminds me a little of Williams. They show you glimpses of elite talent that make you stand up and take notice.

Just seems very raw at the moment, but I've just seen enough glimpses that makes you dream about the day it all clicks.

Jackson from WA reminds me a little of Williams. They show you glimpses of elite talent that make you stand up and take notice.
I loved Jackson's attack on the ball the other day. The only thing is he was going up against the weakest ruck division of the Championships. I think we will get a great idea of how he's looking for next year against Metro, but even more so Country. Champs are a great way of working out the bottom-agers for next season.

I know for a fact Young, Flanders and Serong are going to get more than the majority of games there barring injury. The old "if they're good enough they're old enough". So it will be exciting to see some of them run around.

Do you think Rhylee West could effectively play the small forward role before moving into the midfield full time? How good do you think he'd be there?

He’s been playing forward for St Kevin’s quite a bit and yeah if anything it’s the best way for him to have an impact early on IMO. Just needs to tidy up his kicking and not overuse the footy. Up forward he is strong in the air, a penetrating kick so can kick from long range. Good one-on-one. More than capable of playing that role while working on his deficiencies.

The more than capable replacement for Bishop on here :p, it’s good to have you posting here more often!
He's the one who encouraged me to take over his role on here :p

rumoursofwinter

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 7, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
One player I'll add as a point of discussion and he's in my list at #30 for this reason, is Dandenong's Zac Foot. He's a late comer to the program, was overlooked by the Stingrays initially, but has played so well he got added to Vic Country. I know the Vic Country staff are excited by what he offers which is lightning speed, good foot skills and most importantly wins his own footy! He's not a 30 plus possession ball winner, but he doesn't need to be. He's that 15-18 disposal type who just hurts you when he's one.

I'm rubbish at comparisons, and because of all this work on weekends I often only get to see Pies games, but he reminds me of Daniel Wells pre-injury. Maybe wins less of the ball than Wells in his prime, but is quicker, so one to watch.

I think you have just the exact player that Port need on their list! Great name too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back