Draft Watcher Slice of Pie: Draft Board and Profiles

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Understand that and the fact he's been invited is a sign there is still interest, just fascinating because as you said the RM combine is generally for players that have only 1 or 2 clubs interested
I've never had him in my top 50 tbh so it doesn't surprise me haha. Not like some who might or might not have had him pushing top 10... not mentioning any names *cough* D_P_S *cough* ;)

Have you seen Twomey's current top 25?

Isaac Quaynor #11?
Good medium defender prospect no arguments there, but #11 I'm not seeing it?
Several others I find perplexing as well.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-08/cal-twomeys-phantom-form-guide-august
Caldwell is the strange one for mine. Full fitness he’s a R1 IMO, but I don’t see how an injured player can jump into the top 10 when he’s been injured. Hasn’t had a chance to jump past others. I can understand people dropping past him but to go up past some quality players is interesting. Yeah I got my thoughts out on Quaynor last month when he had him at #9. It’s all speculation and guess work at this time of year so it’s hard to say too much.

Twomey had Naish at 10 this time last year. He loves pushing a F/S prospect up high at this time of the year.

The prospect of Duursma going 2nd round seems crazy to me right now, he has really started to put up the numbers you would hope for in the last 3 weeks.

Twomey had Naish at 10 this time last year. He loves pushing a F/S prospect up high at this time of the year.

The prospect of Duursma going 2nd round seems crazy to me right now, he has really started to put up the numbers you would hope for in the last 3 weeks.
There's only one way Duursma has been going this year for me, and that's up. I was saying to someone the other day, he's almost like a Sam Walsh lite. They are different players, so I'm not comparing them as such, but he has so few weaknesses in his game. He ticks most boxes like Walsh, and while Walsh is that level above in most of those areas, I reckon Duursma is the way a finals side can snare a value midfielder who can offer plenty.

I noticed you guys had Joel Randall in your TAC Cup team of the week, what are your thoughts on him?

I noticed you guys had Joel Randall in your TAC Cup team of the week, what are your thoughts on him?
He's played some good games this year and was impressive on the weekend. He's a nice kick of the footy and marks well. He's at that awkward height of 192cm where he's probably more of a third tall, but can play either end. Didn't get an invite to combines which in terms of draft chance isn't a good sign. The Knights might only have the one draftee this year (McKenzie) so not a great year for them. Randall might be a type that plays VFL for a season and tests himself there against bigger bodies and an increased speed/intensity because that is how 19 year-olds often get a chance.

There's only one way Duursma has been going this year for me, and that's up. I was saying to someone the other day, he's almost like a Sam Walsh lite. They are different players,

How would you say Duursma is different?

What's his AFL comp?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How would you say Duursma is different?

What's his AFL comp?
Duursma is lower across the board compared to Walsh, and not as influential on the inside as Walsh can be. He's marginally quicker, but not that much you'd worry, and has a better vertical leap. Otherwise Walsh pretty much has him covered across the board.

I think Duursma's strengths are his ability to cover ground, and can play forward or back, or along the wing. He can be a lovely kick, but can also drop his head at times which can result in a few errors, but overall he's quite consistent and has good vision. He's constantly on the move, looks to be the player that presents an option and also sets up teammates down forward.

In terms of comparisons they are always fraught with danger, and I don't particularly like comparing because I don't see enough AFL (being at U18s every weekend). I sometimes miss the Pies games! So for me I'd put strengths and improvements as below and let you decide:

Strengths: Disposal, vision, spread, leadership, outside ability, acceleration
Improvements: Inside game/clearances, Mindset within quarters

Overall I see him as a mid to late round one pick, possibly early R2 if he slips down a bit.

Duursma is lower across the board compared to Walsh, and not as influential on the inside as Walsh can be. He's marginally quicker, but not that much you'd worry, and has a better vertical leap. Otherwise Walsh pretty much has him covered across the board.

I think Duursma's strengths are his ability to cover ground, and can play forward or back, or along the wing. He can be a lovely kick, but can also drop his head at times which can result in a few errors, but overall he's quite consistent and has good vision. He's constantly on the move, looks to be the player that presents an option and also sets up teammates down forward.

In terms of comparisons they are always fraught with danger, and I don't particularly like comparing because I don't see enough AFL (being at U18s every weekend). I sometimes miss the Pies games! So for me I'd put strengths and improvements as below and let you decide:

Strengths: Disposal, vision, spread, leadership, outside ability, acceleration
Improvements: Inside game/clearances, Mindset within quarters

Overall I see him as a mid to late round one pick, possibly early R2 if he slips down a bit.
I would add marking as a strength, he is very strong overhead.

I would add marking as a strength, he is very strong overhead.
Yeah he averages almost a contested mark per game, which is pretty good for a midfielder. He does get a lot of marks on the spread, however.

He's played some good games this year and was impressive on the weekend. He's a nice kick of the footy and marks well. He's at that awkward height of 192cm where he's probably more of a third tall, but can play either end. Didn't get an invite to combines which in terms of draft chance isn't a good sign. The Knights might only have the one draftee this year (McKenzie) so not a great year for them. Randall might be a type that plays VFL for a season and tests himself there against bigger bodies and an increased speed/intensity because that is how 19 year-olds often get a chance.
Your boy Scotty Carlin not invited to any of the combines probably sees him struggle to get drafted now??

Have to say I headed into this season thinking he was one of the Rebels that looked most likely after Tom Berry and Matty Lloyd to get drafted but on the whole his season has been underwhelming to my eye.

Your boy Scotty Carlin not invited to any of the combines probably sees him struggle to get drafted now??

Have to say I headed into this season thinking he was one of the Rebels that looked most likely after Tom Berry and Matty Lloyd to get drafted but on the whole his season has been underwhelming to my eye.
Yeah reckon he plays as a 19YO or goes the VFL route and could easily get drafted next year. Unfortunately his form dipped right off in the most important months. Needs a massive last month if he's any chance. But yeah, can't see him drafted now, so pretty disappointed. Right now, expect Berry (obviously) and Hill to be drafted. Wilson a good chance, Lloyd is still very hit/miss. Both Hill and Wilson have overtaken him IMO.

Will you be publishing the teams for the U17's game on the weekend, I see Isaac Wareham, Isaac Grant and Mitch Martin made the Vic Country side?

Will you be publishing the teams for the U17's game on the weekend, I see Isaac Wareham, Isaac Grant and Mitch Martin made the Vic Country side?
Yeah, AFL Vic said they will be publishing the squads tomorrow, the QLD and NSW/ACT ones are ready to go up, just waiting for the official teams for the Vics.

Caldwell is the strange one for mine. Full fitness he’s a R1 IMO, but I don’t see how an injured player can jump into the top 10 when he’s been injured. Hasn’t had a chance to jump past others. I can understand people dropping past him but to go up past some quality players is interesting. Yeah I got my thoughts out on Quaynor last month when he had him at #9. It’s all speculation and guess work at this time of year so it’s hard to say too much.

Who could Caldwell end up playing like? stylistically? He fascinates me as a prospect and someone who imho, could fit into Essendon's side in coming years.

Who could Caldwell end up playing like? stylistically? He fascinates me as a prospect and someone who imho, could fit into Essendon's side in coming years.
He's predominantly inside but can play outside or up forward. He's just had some bad luck with injuries. Very skillful, but hard as nails and plenty of scope. Stylistically, and while they have different strengths/abilities, someone like an Isaac Heeney could be a comparison that isn't completely terrible. A forward who will eventually progress into that full time role, crack in hard, but still have the skill to hit-up lovely targets.

He's predominantly inside but can play outside or up forward. He's just had some bad luck with injuries. Very skillful, but hard as nails and plenty of scope. Stylistically, and while they have different strengths/abilities, someone like an Isaac Heeney could be a comparison that isn't completely terrible. A forward who will eventually progress into that full time role, crack in hard, but still have the skill to hit-up lovely targets.

As a Bombers supporter, we are desperate for inside midfielders. With the plethora of almost players likely available in the second round (currently pick 34), would not be opposed to going tall (Bailey Williams as a KPF and a second ruck) or a meat and potatoes type of inside midfielder. Caldwell sounds like he has that P.O.D with his pace and ball use standout attributes. Bytel, Hately, Valente, RCD all intrigue me but am fast liking Caldwell for our first selection. May be a tad 'undersized' at 184cm (would like a 188cm+ bull) but his style of play would compliment our current group imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back