Draft Watcher Slice of Pie: Draft Board and Profiles

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What happened to Bishop?
Yeah got a job at Fox Footy. There was never any point both of us doing one. He would just ask my opinions on Country players and I'd just ask his opinion on Metro ones. That's how the dynamic worked really. He was more into rankings, I was more into indepth profiles.

Just out of interest what sort of role is Bish doing at Fox Footy? Always appreciated his work on the draft.

AFL content producer. He still does some draft stuff as well but both draft and AFL stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have big shoes to fill. ;)

I think I’ll be fine ;) I just offer different aspects to Bishop. He loves to rank players and offer opinions where I’m more of a writer liking deeper into players and writing more in-depth profiles. The difference is more knowledge on country players, less on school kids (but it’s not like we don’t talk anyway haha)

Hi Pie

In your opinion, how do you rate this draft from a depth point of view? Cal Twomey is saying it’s not a ‘superdraft’ … does that mean the talent drops off significantly after the first round?

Is this the draft to trade up, trade down or neither (especially clubs with multiple picks)?

Hi Pie

In your opinion, how do you rate this draft from a depth point of view? Cal Twomey is saying it’s not a ‘superdraft’ … does that mean the talent drops off significantly after the first round?

Is this the draft to trade up, trade down or neither (especially clubs with multiple picks)?
I think the depth in this draft is no better nor worse than most other years. In 2016, the depth was phenomenal with players from 30-rookie not far apart which resulted in something like 180 players getting combine invites (was hard to split them and you needed at least two to get to a combine - last year just the one was fine).

I think the words 'Super Draft' have been used because of the form of so many of the bottom-agers last season and the top-end talent in this draft. Lukosius, the Kings, Walsh, Rankine, Hill all had super Champs/regular seasons and built it up a fair bit. I then think that everyone started canning the draft crop because of the fact that they realised the depth after 30 was not as super as the top-end talent. So I guess the top-end talent of the first say 5-10 picks is so good that it caused an unreasonable amount of hype around the rest of the draft, when it was neither good, nor bad, in my opinion. I think the depth is not as good as 2016, but better than last year. But it's so far from the draft, if your pick 20s to 50s suddenly stand out over the course of the season/rapidly improve, then the depth changes. I think saying yes/no as a full answer by anyone is fraught with danger anytime before October.

In terms of trading, I certainly think trading up is the way to go because of the top-end talent. But it makes it more difficult. I would rather a top 10 pick than say two 12-20s picks. But I think if that's not obtainable, you're still getting value in the back-end of the first round and early second round like most years. It's towards the end of the second/start of the third where it starts being a bit of a gamble - I still think you'll get solid players, just less chance of them being elite talents - much like any draft realistically.

TLDR; Top 10 = As good as any year IMO hence the "Super Draft" terminology. Depth = No better no worse than most years = the canning of the "Super Draft" terminology.

I think I’ll be fine ;) I just offer different aspects to Bishop. He loves to rank players and offer opinions where I’m more of a writer liking deeper into players and writing more in-depth profiles. The difference is more knowledge on country players, less on school kids (but it’s not like we don’t talk anyway haha)
Not quite as "city" and APS centric??

Not quite as "city" and APS centric??
Yeah pretty much. Which probably helps because so many draft writers go to those games/teams so to have someone who primarily sees country sides helps. It's why if I'm tossing up between a couple of players I'll put the country one ahead because I can explain the choice easier. That said, I still see Oakleigh/Sandy etc. at the start and end of the season, and go to all the finals, home Champs etc. so I still get a good grasp of them too.

The 2016 draft was meant to be awesome for depth but it doesn't seem like it has produced many (non mature) good players from 30 onwards. Does even necessarily mean good?

The 2016 draft was meant to be awesome for depth but it doesn't seem like it has produced many (non mature) good players from 30 onwards. Does even necessarily mean good?
I think depth can often be perceived as whether or not quality drops away at a certain point. The uniqueness with the 2016 draft was, from pick 30-rookies, they were all pretty even and it came down to preferences (hence the high number of combine invites). So the depth was good in terms of evenness, whether it means those picks 30-rookies end up being solid contributors, it's early to tell. But basically there was no real worry if you traded down that year because of the evenness of the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back