Draft Watcher Slice of Pie: Draft Board and Profiles

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pie 4 Life .. would you to elaborate on Riely Bowman... I think you have him inside top 20 which would place him as quite a good tall in most drafts...
Yep, Riley Bowman is considered that top 20 prospect from what I've heard and generally the next big man after the Kings, Blakey and Bailey Williams. Bowman is an athletic forward who is a bit on the skinny side, but has a good vertical leap and is can penetrate from set shots. He kicked a great goal in the trial game against the Allies from about 50m out so his technique is solid. His hands are clean for a bigger bloke and he isn't afraid of the contest. I think it's mostly about consistency for him and having greater influence when up forward. He still has almost a goal a game, but the difference between him the others (in particular like the Kings/Blakey/Lukosius) is they can all take a game by the scruff of a neck and boot say 4-6 goals or a few goals in a quarter and be a match winner. I'm just yet to see it from him yet. The signs are there, he has the tools, he just has to piece it together.

His stats thus far in the TAC Cup are: 11.2 disposals, 2.7 marks, 3.2 tackles, 15.2 hitouts, 3.5 clearances, 0.8 goals.

Yep, Riley Bowman is considered that top 20 prospect from what I've heard and generally the next big man after the Kings, Blakey and Bailey Williams. Bowman is an athletic forward who is a bit on the skinny side, but has a good vertical leap and is can penetrate from set shots. He kicked a great goal in the trial game against the Allies from about 50m out so his technique is solid. His hands are clean for a bigger bloke and he isn't afraid of the contest. I think it's mostly about consistency for him and having greater influence when up forward. He still has almost a goal a game, but the difference between him the others (in particular like the Kings/Blakey/Lukosius) is they can all take a game by the scruff of a neck and boot say 4-6 goals or a few goals in a quarter and be a match winner. I'm just yet to see it from him yet. The signs are there, he has the tools, he just has to piece it together.

His stats thus far in the TAC Cup are: 11.2 disposals, 2.7 marks, 3.2 tackles, 15.2 hitouts, 3.5 clearances, 0.8 goals.

You have mainly seen him as a forward? Ruck? What is his endurance like? At 198 is a tad short for ruck but one would suspect he has a still a bit of growing to do.. light weight ..so he may be a slow developer before ready in afl?

You have mainly seen him as a forward? Ruck? What is his endurance like? At 198 is a tad short for ruck but one would suspect he has a still a bit of growing to do.. light weight ..so he may be a slow developer before ready in afl?
He plays 50/50 ruck/forward but it's tricky because all of Bowman, Bailey Williams and Bailey Schmidt are available in TAC Cup (no school footy) so they all seem to have anywhere between say 8-15 hitouts most games. Williams spends the most time forward, Schmidt and Bowman rotate more so.

He does have a lighter frame so he is probably a few years off like your typical ruck. He might have a few cms to go, but he's athletic so he's not a lumbering 198cm. So with the extra leap he probably makes up for it. Without seeing testing results, his endurance seems alright, he plays out most games and the rotation between ruck and forward certainly helps. I think going into a team where he is the sole ruck, not sure how that will go because he's always had those talls around him. But last week, both Williams and Schmidt were rested for Vic Country duties and he was one of the best on ground, having 22 hitouts and two goals, sharing with Stephen Cumming. My person opinion is I see him as a ruck, but he's flexible enough to be that ruck/forward. Perhaps a 70/30 ruck. But does enough up forward to kick a goal or two a game when resting.

He plays 50/50 ruck/forward but it's tricky because all of Bowman, Bailey Williams and Bailey Schmidt are available in TAC Cup (no school footy) so they all seem to have anywhere between say 8-15 hitouts most games. Williams spends the most time forward, Schmidt and Bowman rotate more so.

He does have a lighter frame so he is probably a few years off like your typical ruck. He might have a few cms to go, but he's athletic so he's not a lumbering 198cm. So with the extra leap he probably makes up for it. Without seeing testing results, his endurance seems alright, he plays out most games and the rotation between ruck and forward certainly helps. I think going into a team where he is the sole ruck, not sure how that will go because he's always had those talls around him. But last week, both Williams and Schmidt were rested for Vic Country duties and he was one of the best on ground, having 22 hitouts and two goals, sharing with Stephen Cumming. My person opinion is I see him as a ruck, but he's flexible enough to be that ruck/forward. Perhaps a 70/30 ruck. But does enough up forward to kick a goal or two a game when resting.

Thanks P4L. Good stuff

What's your thoughts on Tylar Watts? Thought last year he looked the goods as an under ager but has been majorly disappointing to my eye this season?

What's your thoughts on Tylar Watts? Thought last year he looked the goods as an under ager but has been majorly disappointing to my eye this season?
He's regressed this season for a number of reasons.

1. Confidence - playing permanent KPF and then KPD has shot his confidence to pieces. Once he was moved back into more of a ruck role he has regained it. It also means he lost the confidence and aggression at the football.

2. Pressure - he was told that VC wanted him as a KPD and that's how he was going to make the team so he battled on even though he is not anything remotely close to a KPD. I remember watching him in Bendigo and I just felt bad for him, because honestly he looked lost. He's a good kid, and he was thrown into a role he had not been trained for, but that's the nature of the beast I guess.

3. Playing out of position - I know this links to the first one, and partially the second one, but he was thrown around and I can understand the KPF trial, but the KPD one was a failure. He looked good late in the year and I remember against Bendigo Pioneers at Mars he clunked this great contested mark in the forward 50 and put the game beyond doubt.

I really hope he turns it around and his past two weeks have been good, but needs to really pick up. I think he will be one that gets a state combine invite at the end of the year. The next three months is crucial for him.

He's regressed this season for a number of reasons.

1. Confidence - playing permanent KPF and then KPD has shot his confidence to pieces. Once he was moved back into more of a ruck role he has regained it. It also means he lost the confidence and aggression at the football.

2. Pressure - he was told that VC wanted him as a KPD and that's how he was going to make the team so he battled on even though he is not anything remotely close to a KPD. I remember watching him in Bendigo and I just felt bad for him, because honestly he looked lost. He's a good kid, and he was thrown into a role he had not been trained for, but that's the nature of the beast I guess.

3. Playing out of position - I know this links to the first one, and partially the second one, but he was thrown around and I can understand the KPF trial, but the KPD one was a failure. He looked good late in the year and I remember against Bendigo Pioneers at Mars he clunked this great contested mark in the forward 50 and put the game beyond doubt.

I really hope he turns it around and his past two weeks have been good, but needs to really pick up. I think he will be one that gets a state combine invite at the end of the year. The next three months is crucial for him.
He is a ruck for mine, follows up his ruck work better than most. Hopefully they don’t play him in defence again

He is a ruck for mine, follows up his ruck work better than most. Hopefully they don’t play him in defence again
Yep, I dare say to be honest he'd be starting ruck for South Australia if he was there (hard to know given he hasn't had the extended run at it this season), but such is the strength of the Vic Country rucks, it's a hard gig to get. Might have even had more hope with Metro than Country. Just very unlucky considering his preferred role is one of surplus in his state side.

Bailey Smith and Bailey Schmidt.

Gee that'll confuse some who've never seen either.

Yeah I think they might be distinguishable side by side.

Nothing will beat a game where Bailey Rice and Riley Bice were playing though.

Interested to see how Jye Caldwell, Mitch Riordan and Ned McHenry go today. All school footy kids and seeing them again after a break from the TAC will be interesting. It's a shame Blakey isn't playing due to illness. Would have been interesting to see how he went against higher quality defenders (after smashing the U18 Academy Series). Also interested to see how Hudson Garoni fares against a defender taller than 186cm. That's why I love the Champs, if you're able to cover up certain weaknesses or exasperate certain abilities beyond what they would normally be due to a weaker competition, you get found out at the Champs.

FTR I think both Vic teams win, Metro by plenty tomorrow. I'm worried for the WA defence if VM midfield win the clearances because I can't see a WA defender who's going to be able to handle Ben King at full stretch.

Hey #pie4life, what’s your thoughts on Sydney Stack? Thank you!

Talented. Showed some signs last season as a bottom-ager at the champs. Really good goal sense and clean. I’ve only seen him live once or twice so I’m keen to see how he goes this year as a top-ager. He’s one of their few draftables this year. Hill obviously the standout but guys like Luke Foley, Stack and Jarrod Fazioli are probably the next ones in line. Carter too obviously but he will be Freo bound.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Pie 4 Life , how would you compare Jarrod and Thomas Berry re game style and potential, judging Jarrod as pre draft. If they were both in the same draft which would you take first?

Hey Pie 4 Life , how would you compare Jarrod and Thomas Berry re game style and potential, judging Jarrod as pre draft. If they were both in the same draft which would you take first?

Thomas. Jarrod was a better kick but Thomas has more hurt factor. I know talking to the Rebels last year they thought the same - Thomas is likely to be the better player long-term. the only problem is he’s has heaps of injuries on and off which has stunted his ability to perform. He’s stronger than Jarrod down forward, probably not quite as versatile yet, but also better on the inside than Jarrod.

Thomas. Jarrod was a better kick but Thomas has more hurt factor. I know talking to the Rebels last year they thought the same - Thomas is likely to be the better player long-term. the only problem is he’s has heaps of injuries on and off which has stunted his ability to perform. He’s stronger than Jarrod down forward, probably not quite as versatile yet, but also better on the inside than Jarrod.
Speed and acceleration from the contest is the major difference IMO, both as hard as cat's heads.

Speed and acceleration from the contest is the major difference IMO, both as hard as cat's heads.
The burst power is certainly a benefit. It's also why Vic Country have said they will play him both at half-forward and half-back. Try and see if he can use that pure power to break the game open. He just has to iron out his kicking a bit otherwise he would be right near the top of the pecking order.

Thought I'd have a quick look through after the Champs and some of the 50/50s I had prior to June I've readjusted. Nothing too major, but the weekend confirmed my thoughts that Bailey Smith should be a top 10 pick. He moves up, as does Chayce Jones, and a couple of others. Kept the same 30 as I'm not going to make wholesale changes off the back of one round and a game, but there's a fair few shuffling just outside the 30.

7MpY7b5.png

Do you have a draft range for Briggs?

I find him to be a more interesting prospect than Garoni/Munn as he is also a capable ruckman.

Do you have a draft range for Briggs?

I find him to be a more interesting prospect than Garoni/Munn as he is also a capable ruckman.
I'd be surprised if GWS didn't take a punt on him. Can't see him featuring early, but could be late/rookie. I think he will be a similar proposition to a Crossley as such, where because he is well developed, he will be considered late due to less upside, but at the same time could be good value. GWS don't have many this year through the Academy (certainly not compared to past years), he's one they would genuinely consider. But again, I'd say late-rookie if I had to guess.

I'd be surprised if GWS didn't take a punt on him. Can't see him featuring early, but could be late/rookie. I think he will be a similar proposition to a Crossley as such, where because he is well developed, he will be considered late due to less upside, but at the same time could be good value. GWS don't have many this year through the Academy (certainly not compared to past years), he's one they would genuinely consider. But again, I'd say late-rookie if I had to guess.
Thanks.

I have also noticed that teams have been targeting 2nd-tier talls in the 3rd round. Is this a pattern or just a quirk of those draft classes?

2017: 7 talls in the 3rd round
2016: 7 talls from pick 38 to pick 51

Thanks.

I have also noticed that teams have been targeting 2nd-tier talls in the 3rd round. Is this a pattern or just a quirk of those draft classes?

2017: 7 talls in the 3rd round
2016: 7 talls from pick 38 to pick 51

It usually happens I’d think. Elite talls go R1 then usually all the above average and elite smalls-mediums fill R1-R3 with the next tier talls sliding in that R3 range. Most clubs don’t want to use their first couple on a bit of a gamble pick, but once it’s gets to there I imagine they see it’s lower risk.

Pie 4 Life , do you think Bailey Smith is any chance of going ahead of Sam Walsh as the number 1 mid in this draft or is Walsh an absolute standout for you?

Do you think Collier-Dawkins could make a rapid climb up the rankings, come comparing him to Bontempelli in his draft year?

Pie 4 Life , do you think Bailey Smith is any chance of going ahead of Sam Walsh as the number 1 mid in this draft or is Walsh an absolute standout for you?

Do you think Collier-Dawkins could make a rapid climb up the rankings, come comparing him to Bontempelli in his draft year?
I think Walsh is the number one mid and one of the few I don't think Smith would go past. But you can't 100% rule it out because it comes down to preferences. It's nothing against Smith either, he's an elite talent, but Walsh is clearly the best Victorian mid at this stage. But Smith is clearly the second best Victorian mid.

Smith is better on the inside, Walsh is better on the outside. That's not saying they're both not capable of being elite/fantastic on both, it's just comparing their abilities against each other. Smith is better defensively, Walsh better offensively. Not in general, they don't have a great deal of weaknesses, it's just comparing one to the other.

I've brought him into that first round contention and quite possibly. I don't think he's quite at the match-winning stage yet, but he's showing the traits. To me he might be a bit like an Aiden Bonar range of that 10-15 come draft night. Clearly got the tools, but is he enough to go past the others ahead of him? Not sure.

I think Walsh is the number one mid and one of the few I don't think Smith would go past. But you can't 100% rule it out because it comes down to preferences. It's nothing against Smith either, he's an elite talent, but Walsh is clearly the best Victorian mid at this stage. But Smith is clearly the second best Victorian mid.

Smith is better on the inside, Walsh is better on the outside. That's not saying they're both not capable of being elite/fantastic on both, it's just comparing their abilities against each other. Smith is better defensively, Walsh better offensively. Not in general, they don't have a great deal of weaknesses, it's just comparing one to the other.

I've brought him into that first round contention and quite possibly. I don't think he's quite at the match-winning stage yet, but he's showing the traits. To me he might be a bit like an Aiden Bonar range of that 10-15 come draft night. Clearly got the tools, but is he enough to go past the others ahead of him? Not sure.
http://sanfl.com.au/2018-u18-stats-pdf/

SA's Jacob Kennerley backed up his excellent performance against WA with an outstanding game for Norwood in the U18's Comp over there. 31 Disposals - 25 Kicks - 6 Handballs - 7 Marks - 8 Tackles - 9 Cleararances - 6 i50's. Looks to be a real smoky for the draft considering he's not been spoken about a lot to this point..

Tom Sparrow a quiet game by the looks going by the stats, managed minutes maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back