Draft Watcher Slice of Pie: Draft Board and Profiles

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://sanfl.com.au/2018-u18-stats-pdf/

SA's Jacob Kennerley backed up his excellent performance against WA with an outstanding game for Norwood in the U18's Comp over there. 31 Disposals - 25 Kicks - 6 Handballs - 7 Marks - 8 Tackles - 9 Cleararances - 6 i50's. Looks to be a real smoky for the draft considering he's not been spoken about a lot to this point..

Tom Sparrow a quiet game by the looks going by the stats, managed minutes maybe?
All the interstate boys I'm keeping tabs on, particularly the ones who looked good at Champs. With the Champs going, I'll be tracking them, but I'm not going to shove them in my top 30 off one viewing ;)

But seriously, yeah Kennerley is one that showed signs, I get the feeling SA might do a WA from last year and have a fair few more up in that R2-R4 range than first anticipated.

All the interstate boys I'm keeping tabs on, particularly the ones who looked good at Champs. With the Champs going, I'll be tracking them, but I'm not going to shove them in my top 30 off one viewing ;)

But seriously, yeah Kennerley is one that showed signs, I get the feeling SA might do a WA from last year and have a fair few more up in that R2-R4 range than first anticipated.

I did last year after seeing Aiden Bonar against the Rebels at Mars....Just screamed WOW factor.:fire:

I did last year after seeing Aiden Bonar against the Rebels at Mars....Just screamed WOW factor.:fire:
Even with his injuries, Bonar was touted as a top 20 pick. A number of recruiters were seeing if he could stay fit, and if he could, the GIANTS weren't the only club keen on his services and willing to use a R1 on him.

http://sanfl.com.au/2018-u18-stats-pdf/

SA's Jacob Kennerley backed up his excellent performance against WA with an outstanding game for Norwood in the U18's Comp over there. 31 Disposals - 25 Kicks - 6 Handballs - 7 Marks - 8 Tackles - 9 Cleararances - 6 i50's. Looks to be a real smoky for the draft considering he's not been spoken about a lot to this point..

Tom Sparrow a quiet game by the looks going by the stats, managed minutes maybe?

Kennerley was a huge stand out for me in that SA game, I'd love to see him tried across the HBF and a quick run in the centre square. If he can show some inside midfield ability that will rocket him up the order.

Pie 4 Life .... there are several FSons and NGA's this year... have you made an attempt to go thru which you consider draftable.. and what you think they may cost. Obviously it only takes one team to like a player.. but its seems more often than not these players slip till it gets almost glaring in the obvious undervalue of the FSon or academy player.
Of course I have a higher interest in Scott , Brownless and Mensch and Geelong has a NGA as well.. but I was wondering how many bids there will come this year ..it would seem quite a few

Pie 4 Life sorry mate i might be going blind but couldnt see
Jack Bytel In your list of 30 ?

Shall i look again

Not blind, just not in there. He’s not far out, I’ve got him in that 30-40 bracket. He’s a good inside mid but hurt factor isn’t there compared to other mids in the crop. Strong, good overhead, solid hands, but kicking not great - powerful but accuracy not always there. He’s obviously someone who could work his way into the top 30, but he’s similar to a Dylan Clarke who dropped because of his deficiencies. He’s always pulling in big numbers, but a few things I’d like to see him improve on before he gets in my top 30.

Pie 4 Life .... there are several FSons and NGA's this year... have you made an attempt to go thru which you consider draftable.. and what you think they may cost. Obviously it only takes one team to like a player.. but its seems more often than not these players slip till it gets almost glaring in the obvious undervalue of the FSon or academy player.
Of course I have a higher interest in Scott , Brownless and Mensch and Geelong has a NGA as well.. but I was wondering how many bids there will come this year ..it would seem quite a few

Yeah I’ll probably make a more full list, but there are certainly a lot of F/S and Academy prospects this year. The top lot being Blakey (Sydney), Thomas (NM), Quaynor (Coll), Khamis (WB), Mosquito (Haw), Scott (probably GC sorry), Brownless (Gee). I know I’ll be forgetting some off the top of my head so will have a better look later on. While the top end talent is there, a lot are more likely to be rookie prospects if picked up such as Mensch, Bosenavulagi, Dawson etc.

Yeah I’ll probably make a more full list, but there are certainly a lot of F/S and Academy prospects this year. The top lot being Blakey (Sydney), Thomas (NM), Quaynor (Coll), Khamis (WB), Mosquito (Haw), Scott (probably GC sorry), Brownless (Gee). I know I’ll be forgetting some off the top of my head so will have a better look later on. While the top end talent is there, a lot are more likely to be rookie prospects if picked up such as Mensch, Bosenavulagi, Dawson etc.

There will be several..so I look forward to a full list.

Who Scott chooses will be quit interesting. Id put Geelong 3rd atm out his three choices but till he announces I guess we have a chance. Stay home must have some appeal although GC is struggling atm... they could do with his talent for sure.
But just what do you estimate they would be worth is half my interest ... Scott perhaps late R1 .. 15-25 etc. Brownless late R2/earlyR3 30-40 etc.
Geelong do not have an R2 ..so I wonder how early you think the bid will come for Brownless.

Who Scott chooses will be quit interesting. Id put Geelong 3rd atm out his three choices but till he announces I guess we have a chance. Stay home must have some appeal although GC is struggling atm... they could do with his talent for sure.
But just what do you estimate they would be worth is half my interest ... Scott perhaps late R1 .. 15-25 etc. Brownless late R2/earlyR3 30-40 etc.
Geelong do not have an R2 ..so I wonder how early you think the bid will come for Brownless.

I'll answer the different things separately, but he's a list of NGA prospects, I've only commented on those I've seen.

FULL LIST OF 2018 NEXT GENERATION ACADEMY PROSPECTS

(According to Cal Twomey)

Adelaide
Kudzaishe Motsi

Carlton
Artan Cabdi
Ethan Penrith - 19 year-old pressure forward who started off as a defender but had shocking decision making with clangers impacting the way he went about it. He's playing VFL this season so haven't seen much of him this year.
Sunny Brazier - Forward for the Knights, presents a target but doesn't offer much up the ground IMO, good contested mark though
Nick Riebelt
Mitchell Wild - Seen him a couple of times, has shown promise, knows how to find the ball and uses it pretty well. Outside player. Probably perfect for NGA if they choose. Also interesting could have been Pies F/S if Jason had played enough games.
Vian Swanepoel

Collingwood
Atuniasa Bosenavulagi - Pressure forward, but still very raw. Might be rookie.
Ubil Chol
Piers Hikaru McDermott
Kang Nyoak
Isaac Quaynor - R2 bid expected. Probably in that 25-35 range. Talented player, good user and provides good rebound off half-back, plays taller than he is.
Bailey Wraith - Too raw at this stage for mine, might end up at Collingwood VFL next year

Essendon
Daniel Hanna - KPP over-ager who has shown some development this year. I'd imagine VFL is the best place for him this season as he's too big and strong for a lot of opponents at TAC Cup level and doesn't prove anything, competing against overagers will. Might be worth an NGA punt.
Lucas Cooper
Ismail Moussa - Good user of the footy, but just doesn't win enough of it for mine to be a serious consideration. Very raw and might be a few years away.
Jake Firebrace - Shown talent, but again, inconsistency the biggest thing. Can do the miraculous, can be barely sighted. Roll of the dice.
Kyle Gillard

Fremantle
Jason Carter - Seen him once in the R3 Champs game v SA. He's got good speed, athleticism, can make poor decisions at times from the looks of it. Did make AA at U16 level? I think. So does have the natural talent and Freo will take him, probably mid-late draft.
Thomas Medhat

Geelong
Titit Nyak
Blake Schlensog - I actually don't mind Schlensog. He's been trialled as a forward this year and been so-so, but IMO he was impressive as a back-up ruck last season. At 198cm he's obviously those few cm's below many rucks nowadays, but he's got a good leap and if I'm Geelong, I take a punt on him, probably will only cost a rookie - did make the VC squad, so that's something.

Gold Coast
Kwabye Boakye - He was talked up as a 16 year-old, then didn't do enough to be drafted last year. GC did have quite a few to take, and he was inconsistent throughout the season. He's one they'll be keeping a close eye on, but won't cost much if they take him as a 19 year-old.

Greater Western Sydney
Mathew Walker - I'm a fan of Walker, and given GWS don't have many in their Academy/NGA, he's one worth taking a punt on. Very good ball user, not a huge accumulator but has a high impact per possession. Often plays that half-forward/wing role. Built to play inside but not a huge clearance player, probably that mid range pick.

Hawthorn
Tyrone Hayes - Former member of the AFL Academy who missed his top-age year after playing one game for reasons I'm not going to disclose publicly, but he's back and still has talent. Hawthorn could do worse than take a punt on him, and if they do their due diligence, I would take him.
Bol Jok
Stephen Kapahnke - Ruck for Eastern Ranges, has only just started back in the TAC so hard to comment too much until I see him live.
Irving Mosquito - Hawthorn's top prospect, returning to the TAC this weekend after having hamstring soreness. He's bloody exciting, and while still raw, I could see him slotting in somewhere in that mid draft range again. Wouldn't be too far off my top 30 tbh, maybe in that 35-50 range.
Ben Cardamone - Probably worth an NGA punt, I thought he was unlucky not to make extended VM squad. He's pretty consistent for Eastern, but is a bit vanilla. Can rebound, kicking can be hit and miss, pretty courageous. Another who IMO should try and get VFL time by year's end if possible. Defender btw.

Melbourne
Daniel Allsop - This brings back the memories. Remember him back in 2016. He was a small forward who kicked a fair few goals and came bloody close to shocking Hugh McCluggage in the Morrish Medal. Haven't seen him since, presume he's playing VFL, but showed talent, was just skinny as anything back then.
Toby Bedford - Might be a good value pick for them here. A small forward who has been playing APS for Melbourne Grammar so only played the three TAC games this season. Looked good in the Stingrays' big win over the Rebels, and just buzzes around the contest. Okay start to Champs on the weekend, not certain he's in the VC best 22, but he's probably on that 25-30 range. Can kick some good goals.

North Melbourne
Tarryn Trindall (Thomas) - I think enough has been said about him - Top 10, but if lucky for North, a bid might come mid R1/after their first pick.
Matthew McGuiness - Didn't look too bad for the Allies on the weekend, and had a good carnival for Tasmania, I'll keep an eye on him, maybe one they consider late, but don't know a great deal about him.
Rhyan Mansell

Port Adelaide
Manguru Fredrick
Kai Pudney - Talented and I expect they will take him. Another mid-draft in that R3-R4 range, that could push up into top 30 calculations with a good season iMO.

Richmond
David Smith
Anthony Walker
Kyle Clarke - Bushies mid who was unlucky not to get into VC. Quick few steps, strong and can impact up forward. Can have the odd clanger by foot, and is small (174cm) but a good leader. Could go either way tbh.
Coen Cooper
Ajak Dang - I like him as a raw rookie prospect. Shows some signs as a rebounding defender, just doesn't win enough of it. Great skills, quick hands, but is often the type to choose the safe option, whereas I'd like to see him take more risks by foot to see if he can nail those tougher kicks. One the Tiges should keep an eye on.
Kai Madgwick
Phillip Moi Moi - Took a gigantic leap against Western but dropped the mark - you can see a pic at AFL Draft Central - is so exciting, but inconsistent. I'm not sold he gets taken, and if he does, it's certainly after the drafts at this stage.
Kailen Walker
Phillip Solomon

St Kilda
Dawit McNeish - Tough midfielder who reminds me a bit of Tippa in the way he hunts the football. His closing speed is good, he's hungry for the football, opposition players would be looking over their shoulder. Needs to win more of the football to have a bigger impact, and obviously missed out on VM selection. Probably another who needs to see VFL footy and see how he develops.
Adam Ossip

West Coast
Jarrod Cameron - Tackling machine who had 11 tackles in the match against Vic Metro, want to see more of him before making an assessment.
Atem Dang
Jacob Msando
Yugusuk Soka
Nyika John
Dylan Striya
Sebit Kuek
Massimilian Romaine
Maximilien Fabre
Fred Ruremesha

Western Bulldogs
Joshua Chatfield - Looks dangerous at times up forward, but it's that consistency he needs to build. Can drop the odd mark, and spray the shot on goal, but can be that high half-forward who kicks inside 50 with a piercing low-ball. Uncertain he's drafted at this stage, needs a big second half of the year, but signs are there.
Buku Khamis - Really like him, dominated against the Pioneers in defence. I'm told his smarts and game sense are his knocks, he loves it if you kick it down his throat, but needs to build an all-round game. Elite foot skills, unbelievable in the air, strong overhead. Could be a great value pick for the Dogs. Will be drafted, he's in my 30-40 range.
Lachlan Brooke-Harrison (Dawson) - Vanilla midfielder who tries his guts out, can win the footy but lacks that X-factor/elite trait. Don't want to cross him off, but I'd want to see something closer to a 'wow' for me to consider in any form.

Yeah it's why Blakey chose Sydney - they live there, the families are there, it's the most convenient. If the Academy wants them, it makes sense. I think Scott will be R2-R3 to be honest. Good tough midfielder who had a good U18 Academy Series and can win the footy, but I'm not entirely sold on him. He can make poor decisions at times, such as handballing to a teammate under pressure. Nice roost on him, and can play forward or back. He's got some improvements to make to his game and given the bid usually comes in after their value, I'd say more 35-45 bid if I'm honest, but depends on how he goes this Champs.

Brownless will be around that range you specified as well. Possibly later. I rate him in that next 30-50 bracket, so it means a Tyler Brown type bid will probably come in around 45-60. If you're lucky it might be like a Daicos and you take him with your final pick.

He's shown he can play, but sometimes he floats in and out of games. He has really quick hands which help, but isn't that dominant midfielder that for example, Walsh and McHenry can be at the Falcons. I think he benefits when they are in the team, and feel like perhaps he should play more as a forward because he's good overhead, loves to tackle, can kick long range goals - I just think he's more damaging there full stop. IMO he's an okay mid with his traits, but an above average medium forward who plays taller than he is. Just my two cents. Draftable, but improvements needed.

As for Mensch, he's a Sam Simpson case at best. Geelong probably the only one likely to add him through F/S. I don't expect he will be National, will be Rookie if at all. I do feel sorry for him a bit, racks up truckloads of the ball every week, but again if I'm being honest, you don't really notice him. One of those players I feel, you think 'oh he's had 15 touches' and he's had like 30 and you're like 'how did that happen?'. Big clearance winner, but can chuck it on the boot and kicking could be ironed out. Could force his way into bid calculations, but missed VC selection altogether, so he's a take as a rookie for nothing type scenario. At worst, he's in your VFL side next season.

Okay last post, just didn't want one gaping one. The f/s ones, again names thanks to Cal.

FATHER/SON PROSPECTS:

Adelaide = Zac Hart - Tiny forward who has good goal sense, but production not there yet and can make some poor decisions by foot - had six clangers in four games at TAC level as an example.
Brisbane = Casey Voss - He's apparently shot up the ranks after being "nowhere near it" 12 months ago. Still a rookie prospect at best, but he's one to keep an eye on at Sturt.
Carlton = Ben Silvagni - I like him as forward, but he's being trialled as a back. I think he has more potential than Jack with a bigger frame and a fairly good mover. Can clunk some good marks and looked good against Sandy in the "Max King day" up forward for the Chargers. Carlton will take him, a mid range pick again.
Wil Hickmott - Playing for WA, he's okay from what I have seen of him. Want to wait until I see him live, but he can win the footy. Not sure he does a great deal around the ground, but will keep an eye on him over the Champs.
Oskar Manton - Don't think it's his year, very raw defender and barely touches it.
Collingwood = Will Kelly - Has some promise as a defender, didn't look too crash hot up forward. Playing for VM, I haven't seen the game live but he only had the two touches. I can't imagine he will cost more than a rookie pick, but may well be like his brother if Pies see different.
Essendon = Mason Fletcher - He's definitely Dustin's son, put it that way. Gangly and raw, he is a nice kick of the footy, but again, can take the safe option at times. Has a roost on him when he does have a crack. Injured for the season so didn't make VM, would have been in the mix, I think he's a late pick, perhaps Bombers take him with their last selection, just because he won't be able to show any development from his raw start.
Hawthorn = Kye Barlow - Haven't seen him so won't comment.
North Melbourne = Joel Crocker - Poor bugger keeps getting injured, I'm told he's highly rated, but HedgeFund is the man to talk to about him/expand on him.
Port Adelaide = Mitch Mead - See above for Barlow.
Richmond = Zac Knights - See above for Barlow.
Sydney = Kyle Dunkley - Made VC initial squad, but he's not as highly touted as his brother. Not sure he gets drafted, doesn't win a heap of the footy, but I'll wait until he's back later in the year from school footy to make a fair assessment. Has barely been talked about in footy circles compared to his brother so probably not a good sign.
Western Bulldogs = Rhylee West - I've got a bit on him in my profile section, but he's one that will likely be top 30 on draft night. Can frustrate you with over-using the footy or doing 'Pendlebury-like' things when he is not that kind of player. Really good hands, great overhead, has been playing forward and think that's where he starts at AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay last post, just didn't want one gaping one. The f/s ones, again names thanks to Cal.

FATHER/SON PROSPECTS:

Adelaide = Zac Hart - Tiny forward who has good goal sense, but production not there yet and can make some poor decisions by foot - had six clangers in four games at TAC level as an example.
Brisbane = Casey Voss - He's apparently shot up the ranks after being "nowhere near it" 12 months ago. Still a rookie prospect at best, but he's one to keep an eye on at Sturt.
Carlton = Ben Silvagni - I like him as forward, but he's being trialled as a back. I think he has more potential than Jack with a bigger frame and a fairly good mover. Can clunk some good marks and looked good against Sandy in the "Max King day" up forward for the Chargers. Carlton will take him, a mid range pick again.
Wil Hickmott - Playing for WA, he's okay from what I have seen of him. Want to wait until I see him live, but he can win the footy. Not sure he does a great deal around the ground, but will keep an eye on him over the Champs.
Oskar Manton - Don't think it's his year, very raw defender and barely touches it.
Collingwood = Will Kelly - Has some promise as a defender, didn't look too crash hot up forward. Playing for VM, I haven't seen the game live but he only had the two touches. I can't imagine he will cost more than a rookie pick, but may well be like his brother if Pies see different.
Essendon = Mason Fletcher - He's definitely Dustin's son, put it that way. Gangly and raw, he is a nice kick of the footy, but again, can take the safe option at times. Has a roost on him when he does have a crack. Injured for the season so didn't make VM, would have been in the mix, I think he's a late pick, perhaps Bombers take him with their last selection, just because he won't be able to show any development from his raw start.
Hawthorn = Kye Barlow - Haven't seen him so won't comment.
North Melbourne = Joel Crocker - Poor bugger keeps getting injured, I'm told he's highly rated, but HedgeFund is the man to talk to about him/expand on him.
Port Adelaide = Mitch Mead - See above for Barlow.
Richmond = Zac Knights - See above for Barlow.
Sydney = Kyle Dunkley - Made VC initial squad, but he's not as highly touted as his brother. Not sure he gets drafted, doesn't win a heap of the footy, but I'll wait until he's back later in the year from school footy to make a fair assessment. Has barely been talked about in footy circles compared to his brother so probably not a good sign.
Western Bulldogs = Rhylee West - I've got a bit on him in my profile section, but he's one that will likely be top 30 on draft night. Can frustrate you with over-using the footy or doing 'Pendlebury-like' things when he is not that kind of player. Really good hands, great overhead, has been playing forward and think that's where he starts at AFL level.

IMO West is the only F/S who will attract interest from other clubs which will force the Bulldogs hand.

It’s a very quiet year in that respect, but history shows there’s plenty more sons of AFL players who don’t emulate their fathers exploits, than those who do.

IMO West is the only F/S who will attract interest from other clubs which will force the Bulldogs hand.

It’s a very quiet year in that respect, but history shows there’s plenty more sons of AFL players who don’t emulate their fathers exploits, than those who do.
Tend to agree. Only one I think might as mentioned is Silvagni, and then unsure about Crocker given his unfortunate string of injuries. The rest are so-so and pretty much down to the club taking them if they want.

Not related to this year, but do you know how well Jake Kelly played in the u18s and if there are any similarities between him and his brother's development?

Not related to this year, but do you know how well Jake Kelly played in the u18s and if there are any similarities between him and his brother's development?
Well they're different players, and neither really set the world on fire in the Under 18s. Jake Kelly was always that player who showed the odd signs but I personally didn't blame Collingwood at the time for not taking him. It was hit or miss, and that's how they saw it. I think much of the talk around Will is because of the success Jake has been despite not showing a great deal at Under 18s level. Athletically, Will is good, can play key position and obviously either end. So he's probably more versatile than Jake, but also more raw in many ways. He's the kind of player that I think the Pies will take as a rookie, because he's that 193cm that could grow an extra couple, but again, I wouldn't be *shocked* if they passed on him. There's a lot of romance around the father-son selection, but as we saw with Jake, the Pies will pass if they do not think he's good enough. But in short, he's more versatile and taller, but probably a bit more raw, but probably doesn't have that capability to develop into a midfielder like Jake could in time if required. But it's a long way to go.

Not blind, just not in there. He’s not far out, I’ve got him in that 30-40 bracket. He’s a good inside mid but hurt factor isn’t there compared to other mids in the crop. Strong, good overhead, solid hands, but kicking not great - powerful but accuracy not always there. He’s obviously someone who could work his way into the top 30, but he’s similar to a Dylan Clarke who dropped because of his deficiencies. He’s always pulling in big numbers, but a few things I’d like to see him improve on before he gets in my top 30.
The few times I've seen Jack Bytel play live he's always impressed me more than Rylee West especially this year's game at Mars where he also looked alright with his forays forward. I'd love to get him over to Adelaide with our Carlton 2nd round pick.

Well they're different players, and neither really set the world on fire in the Under 18s. Jake Kelly was always that player who showed the odd signs but I personally didn't blame Collingwood at the time for not taking him. It was hit or miss, and that's how they saw it. I think much of the talk around Will is because of the success Jake has been despite not showing a great deal at Under 18s level. Athletically, Will is good, can play key position and obviously either end. So he's probably more versatile than Jake, but also more raw in many ways. He's the kind of player that I think the Pies will take as a rookie, because he's that 193cm that could grow an extra couple, but again, I wouldn't be *shocked* if they passed on him. There's a lot of romance around the father-son selection, but as we saw with Jake, the Pies will pass if they do not think he's good enough. But in short, he's more versatile and taller, but probably a bit more raw, but probably doesn't have that capability to develop into a midfielder like Jake could in time if required. But it's a long way to go.
It seems like he's pretty underwhelming as a prospect, any idea why Cal Twomey would put him in his team of the week on future stars?

It seems like he's pretty underwhelming as a prospect, any idea why Cal Twomey would put him in his team of the week on future stars?

I wouldnt really worry alot about things with Twomey, He had patrick Naish just about all year last year between 12-18 even though just about everybody who ever seen Naish play thought he was extremely outside and light and wouldnt go before 25 bt Cal had him top 15 :rolleyes:

He relies on the Info he gets from certain clubs watchers and they are not always accurate specially early in the year

I wouldnt really worry alot about things with Twomey, He had patrick Naish just about all year last year between 12-18 even though just about everybody who ever seen Naish play thought he was extremely outside and light and wouldnt go before 25 bt Cal had him top 15 :rolleyes:

He relies on the Info he gets from certain clubs watchers and they are not always accurate specially early in the year
And Cal just loves him some Victorian Private College boys...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back