Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
As we start to put our squads together at the start of each year, the question always asked is will I go the guns and rookies strategy or mid priced madness? Most years provide a plethora of great value players who were injured and most missed of if not all of the previous year. Also we normally have a number of premium players who simply had an off year and are expected to bounce back. Not so for the start of 2020.
After having a quick look through each team via DTLive data view I see very few who will represent as much value next year as we have experienced in past years.
Apart from the obvious picks in Tichell and Docherty who will both have a 30% discount on their previous season, I see little else.
NicNat will certainly be value but do you want to waste an R2 selection who will more than likely need to be traded out who is not going to generate a heap of cash.
Dunkley is value as 7 of his first 9 games were all rubbish when Bevo refused to play him where he should have.
C Ward and D Smith will both be well underpriced but Ward is not likely to be a keeper so again require a trade to upgrade.
T Adams will be priced below his potential score but the query on him again is whether his body will hold up?
With the resurgence of Carlton, C Curnow could be a sneaky pick next year after suffering two injury affected scores this year of 9 & 12.
T Doedee only played round 1 when he got injured on 38. Should be priced as an automatic defender selection.
Cogniglio may also represent value following his injury games of 69 and 0. However his two scores of 161 and 192 offset this somewhat.
Who else is on your radar as certainties for 2020?

not certainties but Hunter Clark and Houston are options if they have defender status. Both have good fantasy game and could breakout next year.
Laird has had a poor year too, he's better than what he's been doing this year.
ZWilliams also underpriced based on his poor start to the year, has gone to another level after I traded him out. If he keeps his role playing a lot of midfield minutes then he is a lock.

Fwd options..from the top of my head, I like Wingard. I did just bring him into my team in AF this week so that's why he's on my mind. He looked good though playing through the midfield. He has a potential 20 pt improvement on this year's average. Only an option if he keeps fwd status though.

Think the fwd line will be ok with DSmith and Wingard as great value picks. Might have to just pay up in the midfield though. My focus will be on mids that tackle and are unlikely to be tagged. So Dunks and Taranto firmly on my radar even though they will be expensive, both young and might go up another level.

Callan Ward should be priced at an average of 0, and Ed Vickers-Willis at an average of -1. Tommy Sheridan (not sure if he's best 22 or not) score 2 before getting injured.

Nakia Cockatoo will essentially be rookie priced, though comes with a big red flag. Sier only played 6 games at a 50.5 avg ... what's the threshold for a discount?

Menegola will be underpriced for what he can produce, and if a forward will likely be worth a close look. Jayden Short will have an injury affected average, has shown promise of rising to premium or sub-premium status as a def. Fantasia has either been s**t or injured (or both) since the bye, will likely be priced well under what he's capable of (not sure of the value here).

Tom McDonald was abysmal for 3 months, then score 2 100s and got injured to finish the year. Depending how he / Melbourne's pre-season look, he'll be underpriced for what he's capable of.

Those are just a few that I can find quickly

From the Dogs

Lipinski could be our next Hunter/McLean type having shown a bit in the second half of the season, hopefully he retains FWD/MID status, but he might be MID only :(

Caleb Daniel will get DEF status, so he'll be an interesting selection down back where a 90 average will likely be good enough come years end, though I just hope these hammies he's getting lately don't affect him in future years

Some obvious names mentioned above though like Doedee, Ward, Smith etc

I think I'll just look for a mix of role, durability and job security next year though, role in particular

From the Dogs

Lipinski could be our next Hunter/McLean type having shown a bit in the second half of the season, hopefully he retains FWD/MID status, but he might be MID only :(

Caleb Daniel will get DEF status, so he'll be an interesting selection down back where a 90 average will likely be good enough come years end, though I just hope these hammies he's getting lately don't affect him in future years

Some obvious names mentioned above though like Doedee, Ward, Smith etc

I think I'll just look for a mix of role, durability and job security next year though, role in particular

Daniel's hammies are definitely a concern, but scores well in that half back role.

Wingard should be a good pick next season if he retains FWD status. Has had an awesome month running through the middle, seems to have finally settled in to Hawks footy

For the RDT followers who, like me, hate the full rolling lockout that they brought in this year, can I suggest you all contact Sportsdeck with your displeasure of this change. I know that in my case, I already have 4 coaches who are currently in my cash leagues who have stated they are not participating next year unless this goes back to the way it was.
RDT are losing thousands of participants every year and I fear that they could lose so many next year that 2020 will be their very last year of existence. Personally, the prizemoney offered (or lack of) in RDT is irrelevant. I simply want it to keep going in order to continue with my leagues.
In saying this, overall ranking should hold nowhere near the importance of winning my league which is an error on my part the last year or two.

TBH, I haven't minded the full rolling lockout as much as I thought I would.

I still far prefer the limited trades format / 2 weeks before price change significantly to AFL Fantasy

TBH, I haven't minded the full rolling lockout as much as I thought I would.

I still far prefer the limited trades format / 2 weeks before price change significantly to AFL Fantasy
Agreed. Limited trades and the price change system is far better than fantasy.

Full rolling lockout has been fantastic this year, bringing it into line with supercoach!
I really do hope they keep it for future seasons

Full rolling lockout has been fantastic this year, bringing it into line with supercoach!
I really do hope they keep it for future seasons
If you want a full rolling lockout - fine. Play SuperCoach.
I hated Super Coach partly because of it.

If you want a full rolling lockout - fine. Play SuperCoach.
I hated Super Coach partly because of it.

Love it in Supercoach, love it equally in RDT
Each to their own, I think it adds another element, make head to head league games more interesting

Remove this Banner Ad

Back