Sloane must go

Remove this Banner Ad

Firstly we should have made the call & put Sloane in for surgery for his finger. We are not going for finals, so there is nothing to be gained by playing him injured.

As part of us giving more midfield minutes to younger players, we should be using Sloane more up forward as decent mark/kick for goal & off a wing, with the odd run on ball.
Nothing but hitting a games played KPI in his contract.

There is no other reason.

I kind of don't blame him. Every person here would do it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Ah man Bulldog guy will be vindicated when Sloane leaves. When that is, who gives a fu**. If it’s not in the time he wants, fu**n whatever. Gettinghung up over Sloane is a little reprehensible as the Ruck is sh*te.

If you're only way to win possession is to be fed by a ruckman then it's time to find another role. Our other 2 primary mids have had no trouble getting their hands on the footy and nor will Crouch when he returns.

Loving all the cuckold Crows supporters (or Port supporters running Crows alias accounts) over on this thread.

Boak was close to being dropped until he turned it around a few years ago, and gathered accolades in an otherwise repeatedly under-performing Port side, whilst Sloane was rock solid for most of his career. Overall i'd say the resurgence of Boak has them coming out even, but the people-pleasers over on this thread make ya wanna spew!

Some hard fact/stats below.

You're entitled to your opinion, as I am mine. I said Boak's career has been better overall due in large part to the great footy he has played these last few years whereas Sloane has struggled to get out on the park. But you saying "Sloane is a couple of rungs below Boak" as a player is laughably-biased hyperbole.

That's crap. Sloane had back-to-back awesome seasons in 2016 and 2017 when he finished 1st and 2nd in the Crows B&F, and placed 4th and 7th in the Brownlow with over 20 votes. Sloane also won the Crows B&F in 2013 (and finished 2nd in 2014.)

Boak also had 2 seasons where he polled 20+ Brownlow votes: finishing 7th in 2013 and runner-up last year, 10 votes adrift of Lachie Neale in what was an asterisk season of shortened quarters and interstate hubs for most clubs.

Like Sloane, Boak has won his club B&F twice. One of these was shared with Trengrove, tied for 1st place in 2011 when Port won only 3 games and finished last. (Probably not such a great achievement.) He also finished runner-up in his club B&F three times (compared to Sloane's two 2nds and a 3rd placing.)

Comparing the All-Australian selections is a distortion. The AA selectors always play favourites and many brilliant seasons go unrewarded as a result.

I said earlier that Sloane was the better player from 2012-2017. So let's look closer at those seasons...

2012...Home & away..............Finals
Adel... 2nd ... 17-0-5...132%... L W L
Port... 14th ... 5-1-16... 79%

Adel b&f: 1) Thompson 112... 2) Dangerfield 101.... 3) Sloane 89... 4) Jacobs 78... 5) Walker 77... 6) Reilly 76
Port b&f: 1) K.Cornes 18... eq.2) Broadbent, Ebert 16... eq.4) Cassisi, Chaplin, Schulz, Westhoff 14... 8th) Boak 12

Champion Data: Sloane 105.8, Boak 90.2

2012: Adelaide was one of the best teams in the comp and Danger & Sloane were their 2 young superstars
Sloane > Boak. No contest.

2013...Home & away..............Finals
Port... 7th ... 12-0-10...102%...W L
Adel...11th... 10-0-12...108%

Port b&f: 1) Wingard 284... 2) Boak 266... 3) K.Cornes 221... 4) Ebert 210... 5) Westhoff 199... 6) Monfries 186
Adel b&f: 1) Sloane 71... 2) Douglas 68... eq.3 Dangerfield, Talia 60... 5) Otten 51... 6) Thompson 45

Champion Data: Sloane 107.2, Boak 106.3

2013: Not much between Port or the Crows... a Wingard specky in time-on. Not a whole lot between Boak & Sloane either.
This was one of Boak's All Australian years (interchange), so we'll use that as a tiebreaker.
Boak > Sloane (just)

Port... 5th ... 14-0-8... 130%...W W L
Adel...10th... 11-0-11...114%

Port b&f: 1) Gray 398… 2) Boak 255… 3) K.Cornes 237… 4) Westhoff 232… 5) Lobbe 227… eq.6) Schulz, Wines 220
Adel b&f: 1) Talia 79… 2) Sloane 77… 3) Dangerfield 76… 4) B.Smith 72… 5) Jacobs 70… 6) Thompson 68

Champion Data: Sloane 114.7, Boak 105.6

2014: Port had a pretty good season and Boak was named All-Australian bench warmer for the second year in succession.
Once again, I'd argue there wasn't much between the two players, but we'll give this to Trav.
Boak > Sloane

Adel... 7th... 13-0-8... 116%... W L
Port... 9th... 12-0-10...107%

Adel b&f: 1) Danger 315… 2) Laird 289… 3) Betts 278… 4) Jacobs 254… 5) Walker 210… 6) Sloane 209… 7) Thompson 202… 8) Talia 184
Port b&f: 1) Gray 243… 2) Chad W 230… 3) Hombsch 177… 4) Boak 173… 5) Westhoff 156… 6) Ebert 140… 7) Broadbent 134… 8) Hartlett 132

Champion Data: Sloane 104.8, Boak 98.9

2015: Sloane missed 5 games with a broken cheekbone. If not for this injury, he would've finished 3rd or 4th in the best & fairest.
Not much between them, but we'll give this one to Rory (using Champion Data as the tiebreaker)
2015: Sloane > Boak (just)

Adel... 5th ... 16-0-6 ... 138%... W L
Port... 10th... 10-0-12...106%

Adel b&f: 1) Sloane 268… 2) Betts 249… 3) Lynch 215… 4) Talia 192… 5) Walker 185… 6) B.Smith 183… 7) M.Crouch 180
Port b&f: 1) Gray 230… 2) Wines 206… 3) Pittard 190… 4) Ebert 164… 5) Boak 157… 6) Broadbent 150… 7) Trengove 149…

Champion Data: Sloane 108.4, Boak 91.0

2016: Adelaide had a super season without Danger and with Rory leading the way. Port & Boak were nothin' special.
Sloane was named on the wing (and vice captain) of the All Australian team
Sloane >>> Boak. No contest.

Adel... 1st ... 15-1-6... 136%... W – W L
Port... 5th ... 14-0-8... 130%... L

Adel b&f: 1) Crouch 315.. 2) Sloane 253.. 3) Laird 226.. 4) Jacobs 5) Douglas 6) Walker 7) Lynch 8) B.Crouch 9) Smith 10) Betts
Port b&f: 1) Ryder 241... 2) Dixon 234... 3) Jonas 203... 4) R.Gray 5) Ebert 6) Wines 7) S.Gray 8) Wingard 9) Boak

Champion Data: Sloane 110.1, Boak 85.4

2017: another fantastic season by Rory and the Crows, finishing on top of the ladder and reaching the Grand Final. Sloane was unlucky to miss AA selection. He made the squad of 40 and should've made the 22 ahead of Merrett and Shiel. Not such a great season from Trav... He went missing in a number of games.
Sloane >>> Boak. Easily. No contest.

So, yeah... The above data just confirms what I already knew based on watching a lot of games. Adelaide were unquestionably a better team than Port from 2012 to 2017 and Rory Sloane was a pivotal player throughout that era. More consistent and better than Boak in the 2012-2017 timeframe. Probably no coincidence the Crows struggled from 2018 to 2020 with their best player injured all the time and unable to get on the park.

The All Australian awards can be a bit of a joke. They are no way to compare the gun players in dick-measuring contests. Sloane was an underrated gun compared to Boak, probably due to where they were drafted (pick 5 vs pick 44). The media always hype up the blue chip 1st round draft picks and the best ones (e.g. Judd, Riewoldt, Pendles, Selwood and Brad Johnson) end up racking up 5,6,7 AA awards. Whereas the champs who were taken after pick 30 (like Sam Mitchell, Dane Swan, Robbie Gray, etc) have to play brilliantly for a number of years before everyone belatedly acknowledges they are superstars.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think after an honest reflection most Crows supporters would say that Travis Boak is the better player

That's not a knock on Sloane, who had some ripping seasons, but Boak has reached Sloane's peak and been better for longer

I think after an honest reflection most Crows supporters would say that Travis Boak is the better player

That's not a knock on Sloane, who had some ripping seasons, but Boak has reached Sloane's peak and been better for longer
Boak's career has had a second wind that Sloane's hasn't, probably puts him ahead

Wasn't it 4? Think it happened after the underarm as well.
Point is the majority only remember the ending, not so much the career. Best to go out on a high.

Slightly different, seeing how divisive, and legacy altering the underarm event was.

For Sloane, few will care that he went on for a year or three too long. Much like not many care that Riccuto did in 2007 etc.

Loving all the cuckold Crows supporters (or Port supporters running Crows alias accounts) over on this thread.

Boak was close to being dropped until he turned it around a few years ago, and gathered accolades in an otherwise repeatedly under-performing Port side, whilst Sloane was rock solid for most of his career. Overall i'd say the resurgence of Boak has them coming out even, but the people-pleasers over on this thread make ya wanna spew!

Some hard fact/stats below.

loving the petty personal insults directed at anyone who questions continuing to play Sloane when clearly injured and performing poorly. Questions around whether actual members, whether even supporters, lashing out because they have an otherwise crap life, but really nothing of value except that Sloane has been a champ of our club. Well, none of that matters now, it's a performance industry and we're meant to be in a rebuild and there are junior players that can perform the role to equal effect as an injured Sloane right now. I remember someone exactly like you getting all hot under the collar when Thommo was at the end. I asked the hypothetical as to whether they'd select Thommo in a GF even if they knew we'd lose with him but win without him. Their response, and I s**t you not, is that they'd rather lose with Thommo in the side. That's how emotionally attached some of you get to players just because they've been a champ for most of their journey.

Reality with Sloane is that if he's ever been our best mid, it's only ever been for a very short period. He was behind Danger and Thommo for most of his early days. Then in 2016 he probably took the mantle with Matt Crouch not far behind and Brad injured. Then in 2017 him and the Crouch's probably shared the honor of best/most important mid and since then it's been Matt and Brad (when not injured) ahead. Right now he's 3rd behind Larid and Keays and in reality is behind Schoenberg on present output. But you will consider him our best and most important mid all the way until he retires, because for some reason, you desperately need to believe that.

Boak's career has had a second wind that Sloane's hasn't, probably puts him ahead

Over Boak's career, gut feel is that he's been Port's primary midfielder, kind of carrying them a bit through the Primus times like Thommo did our midfield for a fair while. Sloane has only ever been our number one mid in 2016. I might be wrong on Boak though, I'm just struggling to think of any other high quality mids after the group that contended in the early 2000's. But Sloane has almost always been behind either the Danger/Thommo years or the 2 x Crouch (when fit) years and now due to injury, he's behind Laird, Keays and Schoey. He's been a mainstay of our midfield, this isn't arguable, but he's only ever been the obvious numero uno in 2016.

Slightly different, seeing how divisive, and legacy altering the underarm event was.

For Sloane, few will care that he went on for a year or three too long. Much like not many care that Riccuto did in 2007 etc.
Once again you miss the point.
People are more often remembered for the late part of their careers, not what they've achieved.
Riccuito, Thompson to name just two will be remembered as great players for the club who were selfish *ers for not hanging up the boots when they should've.
It also says a lot for the weak as piss coaches/ board we have to allow it to happen continuously.

Once again you miss the point.
People are more often remembered for the late part of their careers, not what they've achieved.
Riccuito, Thompson to name just two will be remembered as great players for the club who were selfish f***ers for not hanging up the boots when they should've.
It also says a lot for the weak as piss coaches/ board we have to allow it to happen continuously.

You didn't have a point for it to be missed. You thought you did, but to compare Chappells underarm incidence to a club legend going on one too many really misses the point of why Chappells underarm was remembered. It's like Smith, Warner and Bancroft done for ball tampering. It's going to be a chapter any autobiography needs to cover, due to how altering how Australians view the sport, and delivering a slap in the face to Australia reputation as a country which values good sportsmanship. Chappell would always have been remembered for it, regardless if he played 1, 20 or 100 ODIS for Australia.

The thing is Roo and Thommo aren't remembered for that, unless you're in the 1% who is ridiculously invested in the club. They're just remembered as being great players at Adelaide, and in Roos case, a league wide great. Sloane will be the same. The idea that going on one year too long has a genuine impact to someone's reputation belongs in the same bin as a kid will be a fan favourite because he always gives 100%.

Sloane out
Crouch in

Easy.

Alter his contract so he gets the money he would get for 2022/23 if he played the next four games. Then get the surgery.

I am convinced the only reason he is playing is to hit a games played KPI in his third year of the five year contract for maximum guaranteed money in years four and five.

Club won't omit the captain, and it is an injury you can play through.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

If the reason he is playing is that he has to hit a trigger to get more money, then he needs to be dropped and the captaincy taken off him. I'm not sure that is the reason though as I'd like to think we had someone from the coaches, to the football department who would put their foot down at such an act, it is counterproductive to being a team leader.

I'd like to think he believes that him at 60% is a better option and that is why he is still playing...and then the coaches tell him no. He needs to get his surgery, get his hand right and be ready round 1 next year

Can’t believe what I’m reading. They’re a better team with him in. He’s carried the midfield since 2017.

It’s only been this season that we’ve had proper midfield talent emerge (not plodders or grinders like Crouch brothers). So his role finally has to change which is up to the coaches to figure that out.

Cut the bloke some slack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back