Sloane must go

Remove this Banner Ad

If the reason he is playing is that he has to hit a trigger to get more money, then he needs to be dropped and the captaincy taken off him. I'm not sure that is the reason though as I'd like to think we had someone from the coaches, to the football department who would put their foot down at such an act, it is counterproductive to being a team leader.

I'd like to think he believes that him at 60% is a better option and that is why he is still playing...and then the coaches tell him no. He needs to get his surgery, get his hand right and be ready round 1 next year

I don't think it's his hand, he was struggling to win the ball from the beginning of the year. There's been consistency in terms of low output games and the exception thrown in every 3-4 weeks.

029696AA-BA76-411A-B891-65031FA1D19B.png

Can’t believe what I’m reading. They’re a better team with him in. He’s carried the midfield since 2017.

It’s only been this season that we’ve had proper midfield talent emerge (not plodders or grinders like Crouch brothers). So his role finally has to change which is up to the coaches to figure that out.

Cut the bloke some slack.

This is dumber than the petty personal attacks from the usual mouth breathers. "Carried the midfield since 2017", my goodness. He's being carried this year by Laird and Keays as a starting point. Schoey has moved past him of late, there's no way his midfield minutes add to our performance. Secondly, 3 other midfielders won B&Fs in the 4 seasons he was was supposedly carrying the midfield. I get you love the bloke, but try and separate your personal feelings for him from your assessment of his footballing performance.

And even if he had carried the midfield between 2017 and 2020, so what? What would that have to do with decisions being made for the benefit of 2021 and beyond. And nobody is arguing for forcing him out via trade or delisting him. Just that for varying reasons his current performance is not worthy of his midfield minutes and he should have found another role or a surgeon and got a head start on 2022. We finally give Schoey meaningful minutes and he immediately collects 6 coaches votes. We missed an opportunity with Lynch out to see Sloane in that role over a few weeks.

THIS YEAR Sloane is ranked 25th in contested possessions in the AFL.
Ranked 35th in Centre Clearances (ahead of Selwood, Crouch, Cotchin, Zorko Pendlebury, Treloar etc).
Ranked 39th in Clearances
Ranked 108th in effective disposals
Ranked 380th in disposal efficiency (ahead of Schoenberg (393), Dangerfield (453), Greenwood (480), Charlie Cameron (502), Max King (513), Nic Nat (516), Jack Riewoldt (551) etc.
Ranked 128th in Clangers (behind Bontempelli (7), Danger (12), Cunnington and Crouch (16) Stringer (58) Selwood (61) Schoenberg (63)

So has he really been that s**t?

Certainly in recent weeks he's been struggling and there's no doubt he should be getting surgery on that hand, but to disrespect him like this is just poor.

Ranked 35th in Centre Clearances (ahead of Selwood, Crouch, Cotchin, Zorko Pendlebury, Treloar etc).
Ranked 380th in disposal efficiency (ahead of Schoenberg (393), Dangerfield (453), Greenwood (480), Charlie Cameron (502), Max King (513), Nic Nat (516), Jack Riewoldt (551) etc.
Ranked 128th in Clangers (behind Bontempelli (7), Danger (12), Cunnington and Crouch (16) Stringer (58) Selwood (61) Schoenberg (63)

So has he really been that sh*t?

Certainly in recent weeks he's been struggling and there's no doubt he should be getting surgery on that hand, but to disrespect him like this is just poor.
Pretty misleading stats. Instead if picking and choosing stat's and players how about doing a 'like for like' with the two top midfielders from each club?

Ranked 35th in Centre Clearances (ahead of Selwood, Crouch, Cotchin, Zorko Pendlebury, Treloar etc). - you need to compare CBAs for this to be meaningful
Ranked 39th in Clearances - so on average there's 2 mids at each meh averaging more and again, you need to compare clearance attendences for this to be meaningful
Ranked 108th in effective disposals - mids are the highest possession winners in the league, so based on that, on average there's 6 players at each club averaging more. That's awful for a 100% TOG midfielder.
Ranked 380th in disposal efficiency (ahead of Schoenberg (393), Dangerfield (453), Greenwood (480), Charlie Cameron (502), Max King (513), Nic Nat (516), Jack Riewoldt (551) etc. - not sure why you even posted this, it is meaningless.
Ranked 128th in Clangers (behind Bontempelli (7), Danger (12), Cunnington and Crouch (16) Stringer (58) Selwood (61) Schoenberg (63) all those players, bar Schoey, have gotten much more ball than Sloane, so there raw clanger numbers would naturally be higher. Plus, there's a fair bit of variation depending on types of disposal attempted, k:h ratios.

So has he really been that sh*t? yes, a 100% midfielder averaging around 80+% TOG needs to be getting the ball and impacting play a lot more than he has when we're in a rebuild and other midfielders are being denied minutes.

Certainly in recent weeks he's been struggling and there's no doubt he should be getting surgery on that hand, but to disrespect him like this is just poor. He's been struggling all year, not just recent weeks. The preseason did not do to his body what it did to Tex's. He struggled from round 1 but has had games every 3-4 weeks where he's managed to get enough of the ball, but his form trend hasn't changed since the first bounce of our season

Can’t believe what I’m reading. They’re a better team with him in. He’s carried the midfield since 2017.

It’s only been this season that we’ve had proper midfield talent emerge (not plodders or grinders like Crouch brothers). So his role finally has to change which is up to the coaches to figure that out.

Brad Crouch a plodder or grinder?

Wow

Those numbers might well support the case of those who feel he has been poor

Seeing as your so good at finding stats can you also give us the Centre bounce attendances numbers of Rory and those you compared him to?

He shouldn’t go but due to our lack of recruiting quality, he’s made to do things that he no longer can. At this stage in his career, he should be playing on a half back/forward line with an occasion run in the centre.
besides Shoey who has shown any quality in the midfield? Berry can’t be fit if the coaches don’t give him a go. Hately is in terrible form and O’Conner isn’t ready yet. We didn’t have a succession plan for the midfield but we stuffed it up and now the coaches don’t have faith in any other players at the moment.

I think we need to give him a week off to rest and then bring him back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Er yeah this is just a load of s**t.

Sloane has barely 'carried the midfield' at any point in career with us, let alone the last few years.

Footy wire doesn’t have this kinds of stats. 😊
Well the stats you posted re centre clearances are totally meaningless unless you can furnish the relevant centre bounce attendance numbers of the players you mentioned, time on ground % would be useful too to do a full assessment.

If you mean "Sloane-must-go" out for surgery, most definitely.
Then a strong pre-season and come back as a hard-nut, defensive-capable HFF.

Only if he takes a salary cut, otherwise let him retire.

He's on too much money to waste on that role.

Wait you can't actually be arguing that being 380th and 108th is a sign of having done ok can you?

Only if he takes a salary cut, otherwise let him retire.

He's on too much money to waste on that role.

Seeing we really should be struggling to meet the minimum requirements of the soft cap at this point, it might be a case of necessary evil to just commit to Sloanes wages at this point.

Seeing we really should be struggling to meet the minimum requirements of the soft cap at this point, it might be a case of necessary evil to just commit to Sloanes wages at this point.

Ah, the good old Crows phantom war chest is suddenly reappearing is it?

If you mean "Sloane-must-go" out for surgery, most definitely.
Then a strong pre-season and come back as a hard-nut, defensive-capable HFF.

Go from selected is what I meant, not leave the club. Hell, I'd still support his selection as long as he's moved out of his primary midfielder role. But he must hand back his first choice midfielder wings for the duration of the 2021 season. Whether it's surgery or combo forward/wing/mid role I don't care. He just needs to reduce his midfield minutes by 80%. Simples.

I don't think it's his hand, he was struggling to win the ball from the beginning of the year. There's been consistency in terms of low output games and the exception thrown in every 3-4 weeks.

View attachment 1188366
The guy is banged up and has lost his weapons which was his ball winning ability, ability to get to the contest, tackling and finishing from 50 out. He also hasn't played with the same desire since 2019 and has also lost his pace. I would also presume he has been carrying a foot injury for some time which has likely caused the drop off in pace and resultant lack of contested possessions and tackles. He can still contribute on a half forward line or maybe half back for another year or so but he should not be in the midfield. If he has another year like this one in 2022 I would hope the club would work out a settlement of his contract. The end of this year Doedee should be made captain. He should be happy with his career to date as he has maximised the most out of his ability.

Last edited:
The guy is banged up and has lost his weapons which was his ball winning ability, ability to get to the contest, tackling and finishing from 50 out. He also hasn't played with the same desire since 2019 and has also lost his pace. I would also presume he has been carrying a foot injury for some time which has likely caused the drop off in pace and resultant lack of contested possessions and tackles. He can still contribute on a half forward line or maybe half back for another year or so but he should not be in the midfield. If he has another year like this one in 2022 I would hope the club would work out a settlement of his contract. The end of this year Doedee should be made captain. He should be happy with his career to date as he has maximised the most out of his ability.

Perhaps that's why he hasn't been played in that high half forward or wing roles, too much pressure on his foot or whatever else he's carrying between hips and toes. They might feel he's best used like Thommo was at the end, just getting from stoppage to stoppage and don't worrry too much about burning around the ground impacting general play contests or getting into defensive positions. It would be like us to create a counterproductive role to keep a senior player in the starting 18.

This weekend, if they're going to drop Sholl, I'd like to see Sloane to the wing. He doesn't have to run 50 unrewarded clicks in the Mackay way of playing it. Maybe just be a little defensive minded in that if you're going to push hard, only do that going backwards. When we're going forwards and you're not on that play, concentrate on getting into the defensive set up. I bet he'd gets it more than 15 times and his impact would be twice Mackay's.

Er yeah this is just a load of sh*t.

Sloane has barely 'carried the midfield' at any point in career with us, let alone the last few years.

Our midfield hasn’t been any good since 2015.

That’s not hyperbole. People forget that it was very deficient in ‘16 and ‘17 but was disguised by the way we moved the footy from defence back then (especially at AO).

Well the stats you posted re centre clearances are totally meaningless unless you can furnish the relevant centre bounce attendance numbers of the players you mentioned, time on ground % would be useful too to do a full assessment.
Yeah I get that, point taken.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back