Player Watch Rory Sloane - Re-Signed for 2024

Should Rory Sloane retire or play on in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Fantastic news. I was resigned to him leaving so it's a strange feeling

Can't help but think the media will shift focus away from any positivity or complimentary words about the crows and suggest that Sloane's foot put off a number of other suitors, length of contract, less trade currency to land SA draftees etc etc
Well there’s already one in here suggesting it...and he’s a supporter,

Apparently.

Great news about Rory, loyalty personified in a game now dominated by greed.

Its hard to know what the rest of the list will be like then.

I think one thing our team has lacked for a while is good senior leadership. NVB, Reilly, Thompson, Doughty and even to some extent Edwards and Johncock may have been serviceable to great players, but as leaders and elder statesmen of the team I dont think they were too strong.

Im reasonably happy with the people chosen for the longer contracts.
VB was an excellent leader. The others... maybe not so much.

I think Tex was the only big player that signed up after the new TPP. Not sure how he was front loaded, but I am thinking that we would have had a lot of the $2m from this year unspent and are probably rolling over the maximum. I think it is 5% which would be $600k. Then there would be the $2m from next year itself. So that is $2.6m over and above the existing contracts. Lynch's new contract may be around $525k and I think he would have been close to this before. I seriously doubt that Douglas, 32 next year, would have got a pay raise for his new 1 year deal. We have money from Mackay and Hampton (and maybe Menzel too). We would actually have a lot of cap space next year with probably only Seedsman the big name left to sign up. But then as soon as we start to get into 2020, 2021, 2022, we have a lot of players to keep happy. I think we would probably dump as much money as we can into Lynch and Sloane next year, and have them on lean contracts in a couple of years time.

Just my guess. We cant roll over more than 5% so we may as well spend it.

I thought that a portion of players payments for + 30yo’s isn’t counted so we’d be front loading as much as possible for these guys in the 28-30 yo bracket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McClure needs to concern himself with why Carlton still haven’t signed up Cripps 6 weeks after he said it was a done deal.
I heard it because of what’s made from a grape vine. Cripps to Adelaide.

Not sure if it’s been said earlier. Should he be Captain next year? Or even Co-Captain with Tex to share some of the burden. This has really pumped me up for 2019 only hope we can draft well now too.

Yes, I think we need to reset.

I would like to see Tex step down and not be demoted as such. Tex needs to be given the opportunity to focus on his game and getting fit and not constantly playing injured. He hasn’t been able to contribute consistently for quite a while now.

Worwee, my favourite.
Never doubted you sir. Your loyalty and humility are very endearing. You carry yourself so well.
Bloody legend.
Hard to separate roo, Macca, jars and worwee.
I reckon Tex will be in the frame too.

Love this clubs guts. This year has hurt, I was happy today, walking tall.

Craig Bradley is a good comparison.

Bradley is an absolute god, a very underrated footballer.

Years ago, like years, mate was going to Pooraka school ( pretty sure Pooraka) and he was in the same year as Braddles. Now keep in mind at 16, Bradley was a gun wingman in SANFL at a time when SANFL was a great comp. So, his school won the interschool state champs that year and as my mate said " none of us were any good at footy, we could chase them and tackle them but the rule was, when we got the ball "give it to Bradley"

Back