Slow Summer

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I'm a casual fan, the 3 hour version was quite a nice, soothing package with the various camera angles and exhibition education. Definitely an export-friendly Australian production. An alternate version at the head of the train for the full duration would be awesome.

Sad that this is one of the best things on television nowadays. Good time of year for it as well, given people in summer gladly spend all day watching things like test cricket and golf & tennis tournaments. Fits in with that vibe very well. Good chance to mute and play music as well.

Craven Morehead

I really don't care what you think.
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Spent the night in Cook. Met the entire population of 5.
Had a terrific feed of fresh seafood, which is the last thing I expected, but one old codger had been down fishing at Eucla . Fish, crays, oysters. Twas an amazing night.
The hangover the next morning was unwelcome however.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Spent the night in Cook. Met the entire population of 5.
Had a terrific feed of fresh seafood, which is the last thing I expected, but one old codger had been down fishing at Eucla . Fish, crays, oysters. Twas an amazing night.
The hangover the next morning was unwelcome however.

Were you on the train? At least with the hangover you were travelling in a straight line

Craven Morehead

Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Were you on the train? At least with the hangover you were travelling in a straight line

Nah, like I said, we drove the track beside the rail line from well inside Sth Oz to Kalgoorlie.
It aint straight or smooth I can assure you.

Craven Morehead

Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Oh ok my mistake
Most of it is like this or way worse.
Trip East 247.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Craven Morehead

Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
How much water/fuel do you need to carry? Great story you can tell as Grandpa
Not a Grandpa yet, youngen! But will be soon.:$
We took a 44 gallon plus 4 jerry cans of diesel and an underbody 90 litre tank.
Plus 60 gallons of water.
3 spare tyres on rims plus two casings. Used them all.
Seeing as the chances of being pulled into a RBT was kind of low, there was also copious amounts of beer, scotch and rum.
Trip East 245.jpg

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Speaking of train travel I wish they still had the sit up train travel from Perth to Adelaide. I hate flying now and there’s no way to get over except drive or pay 2 k each way for a sleeper train.

GSR have zero interest in sit up trains. They're itching to ditch The Overland (only the intervention of the Victorian Government prevented this from happening at the end of last year), which is the only service they provide with fully seated carriages - the IP, Ghan are sleepers only (as will the Great Southern).

Perth gal

Premiership Player
Oct 19, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
It just means that for people like me who are genuinely phobic about air travel , long story it’s been about 5 years now there is literally no wayover from west to east coast other than drive or pay 2 k to Adelaide. It’s utterly ridiculous.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Speaking of train travel I wish they still had the sit up train travel from Perth to Adelaide. I hate flying now and there’s no way to get over except drive or pay 2 k each way for a sleeper train.

Why? Train/plane it's all out of your control. At least you know the plane is about to crash and you have a flying chance.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Started and switched. Got as bored as I would on a train. Although The Ghan would be pretty cool. But I would be more a cruise man myself.
Train are cool you get glimpses into peoples lives,Ive gone from Cairo to Aswan along the nile through the desert, through villages and Genoa to Palermo along the coast through towns, villages, tunnels, looking at agriculture,peoples backyards through Rome,stayed in the carriage as it got loaded into the boat to cross to Sicily and then put back on a train. Same in the south of France a few in England.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back