Primary Small schools vs. bigger schools

Remove this Banner Ad

bomberdude18 2

Senior List
Oct 19, 2003
AFL Club
Essendon
I've just completed teaching rounds in a tiny school with only 37 students. My previous involvements in primary schools, both as a student and student teacher have been predominantly medium-large schools.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the smaller school set up. In small towns and rural areas you can't help it, but this school was in a reasonably well populated area and had many larger schools in the surrounding areas.

The school I was at claims that the students get treated as individuals and their individual needs are met more because of the smaller school setting.

Firstly I think that's offense to larger schools by insinuating that they don't care about individual students.

Also I believe a larger school has the resources and has the capacity to cater for the individual needs of the student.

Because of the size of the school they had no welfare officer, school psychologist or behavioural management programs- and some of these kids had issues. Larger schools are also able to implement social skills classes and programs for students struggling with the social aspect of school.

Larger schools are able to implement extension programs for students. I was quite bright in primary school (fell away in high school) and I was exposed to extension programs, both in and out of school as well as academic competitions. Last year in a grade 3 class we had 3 students start up their own science club at lunchtime where they did science experiments for students in the school to watch. You wouldn't get that opportunity at a smaller school. At this small school we had a grade 1 girl who was reading at a grade 3 level. I would've loved to have seen her have a go at reading chapter books and working on her comprehension skills, but unfortunately she didn't have that opportunity.

Larger schools are able to offer music lessons to cater for those musically gifted people.

For those athletically gifted students there is the opportunity to participate in school sports, something this school can't offer. In fact in the whole 3 weeks I was there this school had 1 hour of PE.

I reckon that if you want the individual needs of your child to truly be met, then you should send your child to a larger school where they have the programs and resources to cater for your child.

I've just completed teaching rounds in a tiny school with only 37 students. My previous involvements in primary schools, both as a student and student teacher have been predominantly medium-large schools.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the smaller school set up. In small towns and rural areas you can't help it, but this school was in a reasonably well populated area and had many larger schools in the surrounding areas.

The school I was at claims that the students get treated as individuals and their individual needs are met more because of the smaller school setting.

Firstly I think that's offense to larger schools by insinuating that they don't care about individual students.

Also I believe a larger school has the resources and has the capacity to cater for the individual needs of the student.

Because of the size of the school they had no welfare officer, school psychologist or behavioural management programs- and some of these kids had issues. Larger schools are also able to implement social skills classes and programs for students struggling with the social aspect of school.

Larger schools are able to implement extension programs for students. I was quite bright in primary school (fell away in high school) and I was exposed to extension programs, both in and out of school as well as academic competitions. Last year in a grade 3 class we had 3 students start up their own science club at lunchtime where they did science experiments for students in the school to watch. You wouldn't get that opportunity at a smaller school. At this small school we had a grade 1 girl who was reading at a grade 3 level. I would've loved to have seen her have a go at reading chapter books and working on her comprehension skills, but unfortunately she didn't have that opportunity.

Larger schools are able to offer music lessons to cater for those musically gifted people.

For those athletically gifted students there is the opportunity to participate in school sports, something this school can't offer. In fact in the whole 3 weeks I was there this school had 1 hour of PE.

I reckon that if you want the individual needs of your child to truly be met, then you should send your child to a larger school where they have the programs and resources to cater for your child.

Its this bit about resources that gets me. I was also pretty good at primary school ( olden days ), when I started getting through too many of the little readers the teacher grabbed a suitable novel and told me to read it. Do you really need a special program for this? It just seems everyone involved in Education is trying to make things too complicated.

As far as large/small goes, I would think that for many it makes no difference. Some ( as you said ) would benefit from the larger schools, but I'd also think that some who have the ability to get lost in a crowd would do better in a smaller environment.

You're right that is something easy and simple you can do, but I was more referring to a structured context where a teacher can assist in scaffolding the students higher order thinking.

You're right that is something easy and simple you can do, but I was more referring to a structured context where a teacher can assist in scaffolding the students higher order thinking.

I agree with this one of my kids reads way above her year level so she reads books that level. As for those beginning to read they have levels once they reach a level they progress regardless of where they supposedly should be, is this notthe case elsewhere?

As for school size I think 200 odd kids in primary school is about the right size.

Smaller schools are great for the smaller class numbers and increased level of interaction with the students and community, but I much prefer the larger school systems as you have the opportunity to work as part of a team within each stage and get a wider range of experiences from larger class sizes etc.

Although if I had to choose, I'd take whatever school would employ me fulltime lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back