Certified Legendary Thread SMedia: 30 for 30 (30. Ant Bear #601)

Remove this Banner Ad

#16 - Jack the Godfather
1599697423185.png

Hello I’m SM, back for another episode of 30 for 30,

A controversial figure in the league and one who has gone by many names is my next guest on my 30 for 30 series. Son of God, Nakia, Jack the Godfather, whatever you know him as, has racked up 162 games as at the start of Season 30 across five different SFA clubs.

Known for his fearsome melts both on and off the field, and in particular when it comes to games of Werewolf, Jack the Godfather has seen a lot in his time in the SFA.

What brought him to the SFA in the first place?

1599697431428.png

Jack The Godfather: Easty sent me a message via one of his many carrier pigeons many moons ago. I had no idea what the SFA was or what it entailed but for some reason I said yes. That was way back in season 13 and I can't recall if I even posted or if I even bothered to check it out. I somehow found my way back in season 15 ... don't ask me how because I have no idea.

I keep coming back to reduce the amount of inboxes I'm getting. I spent too much time reducing my folder and it's wearing me down.

Of all his meltdowns across the SFA, Jack had the most to say about his suspicions regarding Boncer.

Jack the Godfather: Now you're testing the memory bank.

I'd have to say my questioning of the simmers. It's pretty obvious boncer cheated his way to a few premierships, the stats are damning and it's happened before. I think it was the main reason the clown in charge at the time moved to multiple simmers ... which I may add doesn't necessarily stop sim corruption.

Yes, my melting was a thing of beauty ... sometimes planned, sometimes under the influence of copious amounts of posion imbibed over the course of a day. I refused to listen to the voice inside my head that said 'do not press post reply.' I regret nothing though, it created a whirlwind of angst and made the league a better place.

Jack the Godfather was also famous for his Werewolf melts, including such highlights as: betraying his Vampire faction to the village when he was converted, melting down about players cheating and telling living players the role list, and other general melts directed at game mods. One occurred not too long ago..

You absolute fu**stick. Not only did you try and kill the vig with your ******* ignorance, you're also trying to get him lynched.

Let's hope when your ******* brain transplant application gets the nod that they give you one that fu**in' work this time you deplorable sh*tstain.

In what world does getting roleblocked mean that the person you tried to hit did the blocking? Ever tried to stop and think before you hit post reply you ignoramous. yep, you're a true flog in every sense of the word.

I did forget to submit an action ... also ever considered why I kept voting for Tarks you knobhead?

You should rip up your werewolf papers and throw them in the scrapheap. Goodbye village. Blame Dero the braindead moron.

1599697454515.png

ClarkeM: His melts at times are legit but for the most part, some melts are purely done for his amusement. There's history where he sees smoke, he believes it's a fire and you can't convince him otherwise.

I remember Soggy melting when I told him Joel Selwood ducks for free kicks but that isn't really SFA related. But this melt went for a few weeks.

For the most part, the league has been richer to have him around. The league needs these types of players - hard nuts, rough around the edges but on the inside, can have a bit of fun. Like all of us, he can get carried away at times but I wouldn't have him any other way.

Jack’s contribution to the SFA doesn’t just end on the field, and his lasting impact on the league is the creation of the League MVP award.

Jack the Godfather: Most certainly the creation of the league MVP. When I first thought of the concept I had no idea it would become this big. I never expected it to take off like it did. I put a great deal of time into the process and it was something I really couldn't sustain in the end, nor could I be bothered so I let it slip into obscurity. It's good that players can be recognised for their off-field achievements as well and I think it improved the posting standards a little.

I did give Hate the go ahead to get the ball rolling again so some credit must go to him as well, otherwise it might still be an afterthought. I'd still like to have a little bit of input into how it's presented, etc, because at the end of the day it's still my creation and the rights still belong to me. Maybe it's something I can discuss with Ant Bear during the season now that I'm back into the fray.

His time at the Royals sits as his favourite in the league.

Jack the Godfather: It has to be the Royals. Wise Guy Sam, Okeydoke7 and myself moving across to play alongside Marlowe and co and creating the best posting unit the league has seen, ruffled some feathers and created a storm.

We've seen planty an attempt to replicate since but none of those had the anywhere near the same success. Filthy tried with a lame gimick of a wrestling theme and the Boys club also tried and failed. The original is, always will be the best.

There were some great minds in that side and some of the true greats of this concept.

The league is all about discussion and the Royals created plenty of it. They gave Frankston Rover nightmares ... he melted for about 3 seasons over that takeover and what came with it. Do yourself a favour a find those threads.

Of the players he has sparred with on the field, and those he has run out alongside, PVF, BEEZ and Okeydoke were the most memorable.

Jack the Godfather: 1. PVF. Going toe to toe with Prospect Vales finest was something I looked forward too each season. It was all SFA related and mainly stat based which the ignoramouses these days would find boring and nondescript but it was game based which I don't think there's enough of.

Now I get to play alongside him at the Wonders and he's nowhere to be seen.

2. beez. He just has something nobody else does. Good looks, charm, charisma and a ******* really good sense of humour. I don't think they'll ever be another poster quite like beez and it's fitting he won the very first MVP because I think he's the the best of the best in 30 seasons qooty. Nobody elses contributions have blown me away as much as beez' has. Marlowe's not far behind.

3. okeydoke7 - the egomaniac, the wordsmith, the protagonist. I could use 100 words to describe this self centred narcissist but I'm running out of time. I'll stop there for the safety of others.

And Jack couldn’t leave the interview without a message for the league, telling a few to harden up.

Jack the Godfather: Any one of the self confessed Boys club members. Half of seeming clever is keeping your mouth shut at the right times.

Players who need help to make a name for themselves.

I do have a remedy however ...

This has been another 30 for 30 production, I’m SM.

Still the best takedown and post I've ever seen here though. It was a thing of beauty.

Certainty not the reason I changed my name.

Of course, just a little glazing ;)

#17 - Fred
1600048315245.png

My next guest needs no introduction, but I’ll give him one anyway. Fred booted an incredibly 676 goals across his 415-game career at 4 different clubs, and has had a league medal named after him.

Fred picked up 5 All-SFA selections, won the eponymous Fred medal once, and is a member of the SFA Hall of Fame.

I spoke to those who knew him best to look back on the league great’s career.

1600048323622.png

ClarkeM: There's one thing I remember most from Fred. It wasn't the Mod Squad, it wasn't his hard-line play at everything, it wasn't how he could summarise an entire paragraph and point succinctly in one sentence.

It was his damn boot avatar. That old, weary boot that stuck out like a sore thumb in every thread. It was the best avatar I think I've seen because it was so simple and it summed him up to a tee. Go head to toe with him and he'll stick a boot in your face.

1600048329829.png

Ljp86: Fred was a fairly no-nonsense poster when he needed to be. If someone arked up or was generally being a smart arse, he'd put them in their place for the most part, including threatening to or bringing out the banhammer when required. Fred was never a huge poster and only posted when he really felt the need to, he did have a bit of a sense of humour at times but was sort of your typical straight up sort of guy, someone who just got the job done so to speak.

Being a site admin and having to be a moderator of the SFA board as well would have also taken up a fair bit of time so that would have been hist first and foremost priority.

1600048334509.png

boncer34: As everyone will tell you he was a fairly solid no bullshit kind of poster. But his penchant for sarcasm did shine through every now and then, he told me he was always a Admin first and a player second so we probably never saw him unleash as much as he was capable of. But I can say without a shadow of a doubt I'm only not perma banned because of Fred, he was very good at pulling me up juuuust before I'd hit the line. His timing for knowing when things were just going to spill over was memorable.

Also in the end I believe he only handed out half a dozen likes or so. But at one stage the number was much larger, I bitched and moaned about how he didn't like my posts enough one day, only to come back and see my notifications flooded with likes from him. Which he then went back and removed them all. He did it just to be a smart ass and it was disappointing we didn't see more of that side.

1600048341665.png

Mobbs: I played with Fred for years as a Roys FFC player, and I modded with him (Adminned with him at one stage before the site grew to a point where the job required so much more work). I had many chats and while mostly it was either "on the job" or just having fun, he was probably the first person on the site to ever talk very frankly with me (and little was I to know how much he still withheld at the time).

Fred seemed to love the Sweet FA competition more than anyone else I knew. He expressed his enjoyment of it clearly, but I always had an inkling that this was only half of his true enjoyment. It seemed to just fit the bill for him. He would give exactly what was needed whenever it was needed to keep things on the rails, either site-wise, or league-wise, or team-wise.

I never bounced off Fred as an opponent because we were teammates from the day the Razors folded. I give thanks to Fred for keeping the Roy running almost solo when we were done and dusted around Seasons 07 and 08. When we pushed to revive the Roys in Season 11, he was ready and waiting with bells on.

Fred kicked his first goal in his second match, all the way back in the first season of the SFA while playing for Team Timmy.

1 : 1.8 - SABRE_AC GETS THE BALL DOWN.

1 : 1.98 - FRED WITH A LITTLE SPACE.

1 : 2.07 - NOW HAS IT GOT THE CARRY?.

1 : 2.15 - IT'S A GOAL.

PAGAN : 1.0.6

TIMMY : 2.0.12

The ALF Medal was renamed the Fred medal in Fred’s honour.

Ljp86: Personally, I feel honouring Fred with naming the leading goalkicker award across each season after him is a great honour and one that is fairly fitting. I've never been a fan of naming an award after a player who only had one or maybe a couple of seasons within the competition so naming it after someone who was a renowned goalkicker and spent a lot of time invested in the competition was the right call.

Boncer34: It was one of my biggest failures that it didn't stick in my time. I remember it was a passionate discussion and I was infuriated because Fred wouldn't let me tell why I was pushing for it so hard. But of course that was his business.

I'm not sure the league should necessarily do more, in the end it failed during my time because Fred stepped in and cut the debate. Again his timing of knowing when to stop things before theu got out of hand. He didn't like a fuss being made so while it's great we've got an award after him, if we did much more it'd be out of character for the person we're trying to honour.

Mobbs: I'm the one staunch opponent of this award being renamed and it snuck through while I was in one of my awol times, although I've had heaps of those. It smacks of the VFL Park being renamed to AFL and then Waverley Park, and of arenas wearing the title of sponsors. Few would know who Charles Brownlow was, either (maybe if you're a Cats fan), but the hounds were out for season after season to revise history wherever possible and acknowledge only those that were current and prolific enough to satisfy the attention deficit disorder of the masses.

Fred surely deserved extensive accolades and a major award named in his honour is a special way to do it, but the provision of a new award could always have been applied. It's still the Alfie to me, because I'm a bit of an old-schooler. Fred was, too, and to be honest I think he'd totally understand my stance, but still welcome the award as well. His winning of the leading goalkicker award a number of seasons back was a bigger win for him, but he really wanted to play in a premiership, and he just missed out. Season 25 was for Fred, just ask fitzroybowiedog who probably expended physical effort irl that Grand Final Day to match his onfield, with the old bastard foremost in his mind.

Each also shared funny stories from their times with Fred.

ClarkeM: I have a funny story and I guess, a sad one too.

There's a SFA poster who was going through a difficult time and I happened to see something that they shared on anther website which was quite sad. Their partner was not well; very sick and things didn't look great. I said something in a post to offer my support as I had seen what they were going through and in what felt like seconds, Fred messaged me straight away and asked for a link to the post. I was hesitant at first because it wasn't my domain to share details and I wasn't even sure these two people knew each other that well. But he reassured me that I was wrong and Fred touched on his own experiences but it was clear he wasn't up for a discussion on those. I don't think I'll forget that. It happens all of the time, posters reaching out but to have someone like Fred reach out so quickly and touch on why it meant something to him... for someone like Fred of all people in this league. I guess it just humanised things a little more. I'm not sure how I felt then nor how I feel now but it's just one of those things you don't forget.

For a funny story, I can't remember many but I do remember getting an email one day from Fred complaining about my Signature. It read: "Yours has too many lines, the text is too big and it's overly bright." In true ClarkeM fashion, I was an absolute campaigner about it: "If it has too many lines, then why was I able to have it as such?"

He then clarified himself and what he said did make sense and so once again in true ClarkeM fashion, I took things too far. I then over the course of the next four months sent him exactly 10 different links to posts/posters with signatures that I felt were as long, as bright and as colourful as mine was. I think he only touched up the first couple before ignoring the other PMs.

Another quick one is the time that he questioned what my relationship with croweater 41 was. The flog had to use my computer for something, I can't remember what or why. It tripped the IP alert system though and Fred was right onto it. He was just satisfied that the system worked after I explained that Crowwy was just my b*tch.

Also, Fred knocked back Jobe's new account once so that was a nice thing he did for us.

Vic Country, we played a lot of games together for the Vic. Fred, Crowwy, Mobbs and I usually held together the backline with pride in the SoO. He was always a big supporter of SoO and I guess when you're part of a team like that, it's hard not to be. Fred and I were talking about regional Victoria once, back in 2015 and he told me he'd love to visit Sovereign Hill again. I hope he did.

Ljp86: Seeing Fred reply to someone who was perhaps overstepping the mark and threatening them with a ban or even banning someone was always rather humourous. I suppose it was the way he did it as well, just dismissing them and then pushing the button which made it amusing at times.

Boncer34: Funny stories are hard because he did take his role on here very seriously. In real life he carried a purple Aldi bag absolutely everywhere whenever I saw him, and I do take pride in making him extend his palete and eat different cuisine over the course of several lunches we had together.

Mobbs: Unfortunately the couple of most amusing things I remember about Fred are personal in nature and I'm unable to share. But his willingness to wear his moderator powers right out front of his sleeve when in a slanging fest, crunching a tirade down into a single line of text that summed up something we couldn't say in multiple media threads, always put a smile on face.

Ok I have one thing. For many years Fred was involved in repeatedly chasing down and ejecting a particular site member who was a Fitzroy fan that created trouble with many other team boards under various pseudonyms. Many seasons into the Sweet FA I learnt that not only was this guy playing with the Roys FFC under yet another name, but that Fred knew this, and they'd corresponded and come to an understanding that while he behaved, he was given a bit of rope to continue posting. He pushed the limits a bit but overall toed the line and they had a weird kind of relationship. It was a real "seriously?" moment for me, when I learnt this. I can't remember which one of them spilled the beans to me, but when I went to the other for confirmation, I found it was true.

What would Fred think about what the league has become?

ClarkeM: I think he'd despise what it's become now with the politics regarding stupid decisions and ever-increasing league rules that chop and change twice a year. There would be no incentive for him to enjoy any of that. He'd love to be a part of his team though, that would never wane.

Ljp86: I think Fred would still be playing and would be involved with the competition for sure both as a player and moderator. I don't think he'd be a fan of the amount of posting we now see, simply because he was not that type of guy, Fred was someone that only spoke or actioned something when needed. Extra posting would also create extra work for him as well so that's another thing he'd have to put up with.

Boncer34: I think he'd be quietly chuffed at how it's grown despite probably whinging about to much posting. He was a man of few words so I doubt he'd have much time for the explosion of words we see now.

Mobbs: Fred always has plenty to say but nothing would shake his commitment to, and enjoyment of the league. He'd be all over the troublemakers as usual, cracking down hard and caring not the response which came. He was never a fan of masses of text, but he didn't care so long as it was within the site rules. He'd just get on with being Fred. He'd still be using the Sweet FA to get exactly what he wanted from it. A good policy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

#18 - ClarkeM
1600301423638.png

A regular contributor to the 30 for 30 series so far, it’s now the turn of ClarkeM to have his own piece in this series. ClarkeM is no stranger to anyone in this league, a long-term member of the league who has put in countless hours of work off the field helping clubs recruit players and top up their lists to continue to be competitive in the league.

Apart from 10 games at the Demons, ClarkeM has been a mainstay at the Wonders, booting 307 goals in the process. Clarke has won 4 flags, has received 4-All SFA jackets, and sits om the SFA Hall of Fame.

It’s another familiar face who recruited ClarkeM in the first place.

1600301440699.png

ClarkeM: Tarkyn_24 recruited me from the Pies Board, I think, I can't really remember which board but that's besides the point. I was very confused; I didn't understand how the sim worked and what the obligations were. In the early days, it was just something to do - a bit of fun when bored and I think when we created rivalries with the Hawks and Demons in the early days, it helped build the league into a place of banter with a shift in focus to activity and club strength.

The main reason why I come back and particularly in the present moment is to be truthfully honest, I'm not well. I know I'm not well. The current situation with this pandemic, my personal issues and the issues with those around me are affecting me quite a bit. When lockdown came in, I had a lot more free time and still do to this day so I guess it's enabled me to come back this active as I have been lately without feeling guilty that I'm not paying the important things in my own life enough attention.

This place is an escape as much as it is a prison. But I enjoy aspects of the league like media threads where people over-analyse the most pointless sh*t and turn it into discussion. I love the history of this league. 19 years, it's just insane really. I was sucked in early, I am now in the top ranks of games played and even disposals so it's sort of hard to find a reason to want to leave.

Having a mate in the league has definitely been a reason why I have stayed. croweater 41 and I played footy against each other a long time ago now and we became mates and ended up studying together at University. Our "rivalry" in this league is a bit of fun and we can have a laugh about it in person if needed.

I've also had some good relationships that have been conjured from this league. Eth, Rick18, Gibbsy are a few that I've enjoyed talking with off-air. boncer34 was huge a few seasons back by enabling me to step up to becoming a notable person in this league with my inclusion on the podcast. There are many others that I've enjoyed from this league but I must make it clear, I'm not here to make friends. I'm here to be me and do what I can for my club and for the league.

1600301448291.png

boncer34: Didn't take much encouragement to get ClarkeM on the podcast. As we'd all know my internet was beyond shithouse in the first few podcasts and my editing skills rival those of DapperJong, they're shithouse, so Clarkey stepped up and filled the void whenever I was missing. He even put together an intro for it to from memory.

With all the work ClarkeM has done to bring new blood into the league, this league legend is now beginning to feel the strain of expectation.

ClarkeM: The fire is out.

I tried to get involved in the Tour again to see if that passion would return and it didn't - the politics and angst among everyone made me question why am I volunteering my time to recruit players for clubs who are unappreciative of either myself or others who do these things.

It irritates me when people claim certain clubs are "struggling" and need posters and yet, they're the same clubs that jump to sign any new poster who enters the sign-up thread on their own free will or they're the same clubs that recruit to have a full squad list of 27.

There is no struggling club - every club is active as hell and we're only comparing it to the ever-increasing high standards of what an ideal club should look like. There's little desire to recruit for clubs when I genuinely believe that they are all capable to recruit but also that I don't feel like it's crucial to their sustainability going forward. The same 12 clubs we have now we will have in 20 seasons time with the way things are.

The passion was alive well and truly when I saw the nWo saga unfold and saw its ramifications on two other clubs. I contacted both captains privately and offered to help. They both agreed and I ended up recruiting 3 or 4 new posters for both teams at the time. I didn't expect a plethora of thanks or gratitude and still don't, that's not why I did it.

Boncer34: He's claimed to have lost his passion probably 83 times over the past 10 years, yet he keeps on keeping on. He cares for more for the league then he would ever admit, weird how he tries to play down his passion and commitment. Just embrace it.

1600301456997.png

croweater 41: Clarkey recruited me many moons ago from a completely different board. He has no issue with going to any one anywhere and asking to come play in the SFA. It's almost no shame he just goes to anyone everywhere. He clearly is still a key driver in the league's recruitment of new and even older players (look at the Broken recruitment last season).

1600301464192.png

Jack The Godfather: I don't think he has necessarily lost passion for the league despite what he says. He's still a major player behind the scenes and he's been here as long as I can remember and remains a keen contributor.

His work and efforts towards putting the SFA on the map around BigFooty can't be underestimated. His tour of BigFooty incorporating team boards specifically is a prime example of his passion to grow the league and increase numbers to make every team as strong as possible. He simply wants the league to keep growing and thriving.

I'm confident the league wouldn't be in the position it is without Clarkey's continued involvement.

Clarke enjoys the on-field success he has achieved in his time in the league.

ClarkeM: Being focused heavily on the sim-side of things, I do enjoy being apart of the 4 premierships. In particular Season 13 was an epic season for me on-field. Co-captained the Wonders to a pre-season flag/minor premiership (fact check), a premiership and also captained Vic Country to a SoO premiership.

In terms of general SFA nonsense, helping pioneering the Podcast with boncer34 certainly stands out. I was just a nervous guest on the first episode off memory and Boncer34 encouraged me to be his co-anchor. I then got sucked in to editing and uploading before being the host controlling the series. The time commitment waned and so did too the interest.

Hall of Fame was a nice feeling albeit premature in my opinion. It's a shame the Hall of Fame has turned into something that is was never intended to be but you can't put toothpaste back into the tube. Or at least, I can't be f’ed trying to.

What has kept ClarkeM at the Wonders after so long?

ClarkeM: When the Wonders took me in, we built a great group of posters and a few of them are still here to this day in Crowwy and BallaratBulldog. Just like BallaratBulldog, I have no interest in joining any other club.

Personally, I grew up playing footy for the worst club in the entire league. All of my friends played for the other two teams and would try and get me to change but it just never appealed to me. I preferred staying loyal to my club and getting beaten by 15 goals every week than playing for the "good clubs" that you're guaranteed to win every week. It just wasn't how I went about it. I don't understand it either. I eventually became captain of this club despite moving to a town two hours away for school and after destroying my knee in the third game of the season, I'd still get the train home every weekend to help the coach on the bench despite being on crutches and eventually became the "runner" once I could walk again. I never played for another club even after that. Being loyal just makes sense to me, I don't know why.

And I guess that loosely translates to this fictional fantasy league that we play. Despite leaving the Demons in my first season, I guess that made me realise that when you know where you belong, you stay. I will always consider the Demons as my first club and one of my favourites in this league but the Wonders is home and no offer or other club is more appealing than being home.

What gets ClarkeM wound up the most is players who complain or criticise other clubs.

ClarkeM: Posters who complain about the state of clubs (or league) and say that they're struggling as a means to justify their agendas whether it's for rules or expansion. Ridiculous. If you think a club is struggling, then why aren't you doing something directly to help them instead of sitting back and being comfy in your own chair being a keyboard warrior and flaunting how good your team is. We've created this expectation that every club has to meet the highest of expectations and we chastise the clubs who are slightly less active than others.

The sh*t that the Bombers come up with annoy me but how they go about it is what I love most about this league. Everyone should take this place how they want to. Play the way you want to, not the way of the set expectations that have been placed on you.

The Bombers are the baby of Juggalo Balla in his prime. And I love it because they acknowledge that it's their club and it's their culture. Their media is atrociously bad, but heck, so is mine. That's why I love it.

The poster that annoys me the most is croweater 41.

Boncer34: I'm surprised that is what annoys him the most, but he's right it is very infuriating. The amount of people that b*tch about how poor the league is etc but won't step up and help out is ridiculous.

Clarkey at his peak was one of the very best players in the SFA. He, like me, hasn't adjusted to the new days but, unlike me, he's stuck around and still fairly active so you have to give him credit for that. If he ever wants to unblock me on facebook again we can catch up for a beer.

Croweater 41: I'm like Boncer. It does get a bit stale everyone complaining about teams not been strong posting wise but still stick to their cliques and teams. I think and I'm probably old school there isn't a need for the number of posts it just has to be quality. Look at someone like Beez posts 10 times a year (mike be an exageration) but its all quality and has a point. He doesn't waste posts. To me that is a strength not posting 150 times per thread. If everyone wants the league to succeed posters need to put aside their faux hatred of clubs and make the better by joining them.

Jack the Godfather: Some people are simply glory hunters. I disappeared from the league for a number of seasons and on return there's still the same players in prime positions on the field, and they've been there for as long as I can remember. Maybe they were considering leaving to help out another team, maybe they just weren't guaranteed they could remain glory hunters. I'm looking at the likes of Wacky Tiger, The Filth Wizard, DemonJim and the like here. Some of those players can't bear the thought of hard work. I think it's time they forgot about back slapping and attempted to make a real name for themselves instead of hiding behind talented units and focusing on personal accolades.

Sorry folks but you'll never replicate what the Royals did so stop trying.

The final word on ClarkeM goes to Jack the Godfather, who sums up Clarkey well:

Jack the Godfather: In my opinion there hasn't been many better than Clarky in my time in the league. He has it all. He's a big reason I'm at the Wonders this year.

Not many have had more influence and made a bigger impact to the league.

It's also worth noting that Clarkey stole the idea for the SFA tour from TFW and LeGrille.

* knew there was someone I forgot to include.

It's also worth noting that Clarkey stole the idea for the SFA tour from TFW and LeGrille.

Is Clarkey trying to claim this as his own idea? Wowsers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back