Media SMedia: Amateur Expansion Bids

Remove this Banner Ad

Hello SFA. While taking a break from my relentless nagging of all of you for my 30 for 30 series, I thought I would bring to the league's attention a rather curious detail from my very first interview with Mobbs. The interview, which took place in the wake of the SFA GF and the announcement that the two expansion bids would NOT be going ahead, contained an interesting morsel from Mobbs that led to a follow up question. Mobbs, the founder of the SFA and one of the most well known and respected posters on this board, suggested to SMedia that he would only leave the Roys if it were to assist an expansion bid down the track.

This got me thinking - surely the two bids, the cringey Vampires and Serpents, so desperate that they were for players that Haydo signed up his cousin's dog to sit on his list, had surely approached Mobbs to join one of their bids to add to the legitimacy of said bid?

So if he had been asked, would Mobbs have helped nudge the Serpents or Vampires across the line?
Mobbs: Yeah, even 2 days ago I was asking my team's captain and Committee Rep whether either of the clubs might have won a yes vote had they had just one established additional player in their troops.

Was Mobbs asked however?

The simple answer is no. While Mobbs was approached to help advise on the Vampires bid, Mobbs was not even considered to bulk up the list and add legitmacy to the bid.

This news, in the wake of Millky's admission that he wasn't even organised enough to invoke the Expansion Bid rule in enough time surely puts a line through the Vampires once and for all as having any modicum of respect and legitimacy as an option for entering the league in S31.

I've spoken to a lot of players that were never asked. It's not that big a deal.

Players who were approached to advise on the bid and weren't even asked if they'd also want to join the bid? While these bids were so desperate for players?

Players who were approached to advise on the bid and weren't even asked if they'd also want to join the bid? While these bids were so desperate for players?

It wouldn't have made a difference if they'd signed Mobbs. He came from a no-vote club.

It wouldn't have made a difference if they'd signed Mobbs. He came from a no-vote club.

The point was more that the bids were so amateurish and poorly organised that their player recruitment didn't even consider someone who was advising on the bid.

Millky missing the deadline for the expansion clause underlines that.

The point was more that the bids were so amateurish and poorly organised that their player recruitment didn't even consider someone who was advising on the bid.

Millky missing the deadline for the expansion clause underlines that.

My point is we know.

The Vampires never asked me but that might be because nobody in this league respects me. :)
I’ve won two Tittybong Cups. Everyone respects me.

Hello SFA. While taking a break from my relentless nagging of all of you for my 30 for 30 series, I thought I would bring to the league's attention a rather curious detail from my very first interview with Mobbs. The interview, which took place in the wake of the SFA GF and the announcement that the two expansion bids would NOT be going ahead, contained an interesting morsel from Mobbs that led to a follow up question. Mobbs, the founder of the SFA and one of the most well known and respected posters on this board, suggested to SMedia that he would only leave the Roys if it were to assist an expansion bid down the track.

This got me thinking - surely the two bids, the cringey Vampires and Serpents, so desperate that they were for players that Haydo signed up his cousin's dog to sit on his list, had surely approached Mobbs to join one of their bids to add to the legitimacy of said bid?

Was Mobbs asked however?

The simple answer is no. While Mobbs was approached to help advise on the Vampires bid, Mobbs was not even considered to bulk up the list and add legitmacy to the bid.

This news, in the wake of Millky's admission that he wasn't even organised enough to invoke the Expansion Bid rule in enough time surely puts a line through the Vampires once and for all as having any modicum of respect and legitimacy as an option for entering the league in S31.
Plenty of people could have been asked. I admire that they tried to forge their own path rather than taking the "easy" route by trying to recruit the godfather of the league.

I was approached purely out of interest to an expansion bid and despite being supportive of expansion as a concept, I had no interest in joining a bid.

Think it's easy to be critical in hindsight. Sure things could have been different but there are so many variables, not just the lack of signing Mobbs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also to be fair, I wasn't asked for "advice" in any direct form in relation to the bid itself. I wasn't a consultant by any means. Just some chatting about the lore. I'm like a History Channel doco that bids can sit down to watch and think, "I wonder if I should use any of that ... nah. Sounds a bit mental to me."

Edit: Also, I would have refused an approach most of the time. I just got a notion in my head when I heard ruours they were close, but potentially not quite close enough.

Noted, but not considered?

Isn't the argument for expansion to accommodate clear growth we already have (hypothetically), rather than forcing it with lists of disinterested new names and returnees?

The first argument for expansion was the glut of existing players being kept out of prime spots and then it became about all the potential new players coming in the league needed 14 clubs to handle and neither of those things really materialised, did they?

Clarkey is half right but you need those existing surplus players moving across too to give it an air of legitimacy. We didn't get the best of either world in the bids last season and that's why they aren't here.

Isn't the argument for expansion to accommodate clear growth we already have (hypothetically), rather than forcing it with lists of disinterested new names and returnees?

The first argument for expansion was the glut of existing players being kept out of prime spots and then it became about all the potential new players coming in the league needed 14 clubs to handle and neither of those things really materialised, did they?

Clarkey is half right but you need those existing surplus players moving across too to give it an air of legitimacy. We didn't get the best of either world in the bids last season and that's why they aren't here.

I will keep expansion result out of this, and I apologise if I now am harping on perceived agendas some (you) posters may have.

But can you go back and read your comment and who you posted it to?

Why have you just 'noted' his comment? He is a LG member of his team and he may correct me, but I thought he was still his teams committee member.

Do you wonder why some have their backs up around here. You hold no more important place then ClarkeM, but yet you speak down on him, and say you will note his comment?

I will keep expansion result out of this, and I apologise if I now am harping on perceived agendas some (you) posters may have.

Why have you just 'noted' his comment? He is a LG member of his team and he may correct me, but I thought he was still his teams committee member.

Do you wonder why some have their backs up around here. You hold no more important place then ClarkeM, but yet you speak down on him, and say you will note his comment?

Just noting that I have noted these notes.

I will keep expnasion result out of this, and I apologise if I now am harping on perceived agendas some (you) posters may have.

Take a deep breath and take whatever lecture you think you're giving me, turn it sideways and then fold it delicately to put into your front pocket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back