Smith exits via Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi guys, I come in peace. I’m quite baffled that we look like getting Isaac Smith, I assumed that like Burgoyne he’d stay at Hawthorn. Is there any suggestion as to why he’d be keen to make this move, surely the potential for success wouldn’t be key for him given the success he’s had with you guys. Did Clarko change his role this year?
He's 32 in December and you've offered him 3 years. Pretty simple.

And that's that. Can't say I blame him. But I hope he goes over the cliff now. I reckon he has 1 solid year left in him and will help Cats in 2021. Will be fringe for them in 2022 and cooked by 2023.
That’s generally the rule of thumb when Vets leave, but he might play more than the 1-2 good years.

good luck to him.

He's 32 in December and you've offered him 3 years. Pretty simple.

Reportedly two years (I sure hope so):

The veteran, who will be 32 entering next season, has been weighing up three options for several weeks: Melbourne on a three-year deal, Hawthorn on a two-season contract and Geelong on a two-year deal.

Isaac Smith has a lot of good footy left in him. I don't reckon 3 years is too long to expect him to play.

My qualm with his leaving is... what is he going to do, playing at GMHBA for half a season? There's literally no wings for him to occupy. Not sure it's the best choice for him to make the most of his last few years.

Hi guys, I come in peace. I’m quite baffled that we look like getting Isaac Smith, I assumed that like Burgoyne he’d stay at Hawthorn. Is there any suggestion as to why he’d be keen to make this move, surely the potential for success wouldn’t be key for him given the success he’s had with you guys. Did Clarko change his role this year?
It won't be anything to do with role change. Smith is a utility for us. On top of being a gun wingman we use him forward and back. He is a superior athlete who will play for four more years is my guess. If anyone can play to forty in the modern era it would be him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good luck to Omith. Sad to see him leave the Hawks but I think it could be mutually beneficial.
Not really.

If he leaves then any compo we would have got will vanish with the Hartigan free agent move.

The Hawks would be forced to trade for Hartigan so that it does not dilute the Como for Issac.

I for one hope that Issac stays a Hawk.

And that's that. Can't say I blame him. But I hope he goes over the cliff now. I reckon he has 1 solid year left in him and will help Cats in 2021. Will be fringe for them in 2022 and cooked by 2023.

Thats a s**t thing to say.
He is a multiple premiership winning champ of our club and has been fantastic for the HFC.
Have some class.

Not really.

If he leaves then any compo we would have got will vanish with the Hartigan free agent move.

The Hawks would be forced to trade for Hartigan so that it does not dilute the Como for Issac.

I for one hope that Issac stays a Hawk.
He's gone mate.
It's official a finish his playing days as a handbagger!
Yes the club will give the Crows the lowest pick possible I hope so we get a compo pick - fingers crossed.
With the buffoons Hocking & Gill, I await with bated breath.

Isaac Smith has a lot of good footy left in him. I don't reckon 3 years is too long to expect him to play.

My qualm with his leaving is... what is he going to do, playing at GMHBA for half a season? There's literally no wings for him to occupy. Not sure it's the best choice for him to make the most of his last few years.
HBF & HFF is where they would play him if he left (probs won't, but it's dumb not to).
Surely they would try to force out some of their Rohan types & maybe Doghouse.

He is a champion. He has given great service, his mates have mostly moved on & he wants to win flags. Objectively of the clubs interested in his services, geelong are most likely.

I understand the decision but I don’t like it. Mostly because its geelong.

good luck Isaac in chasing number 4 - I don’t object to you trying but I hope you stay at 3 flags!

I would have rathered he stayed, but at the same time I want to see changes happening through the list and the 22, so I’m ok with him going if the 2 years wasn’t enough.

We are looking towards the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back