Smith exits via Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

You guys are hilarious. Thought I'd pop my head in to see what you guys think and was not disappointed. If you guys think it's going to be tough seeing him in blue hoops next year, what about us?? We have to cheer for him now! Its like dancing with your sister.
Decent username btw 👍

Wouldn't be suprised if he gets lost on the skinny wings and ends up in the bay .....

If anyone honestly expected him to re-sign with us on the day free agency opened, I really don't know what to tell you. Whether he told the club or not, he had very clearly made up his mind days if not weeks earlier.

And there's nothing wrong with that either. Why would a 32 year old want to hang around at the bottom of the ladder if better teams are after him? Whether he gets a fourth flag or not, he is undoubtedly in a better position to see it than if he was at Hawthorn. Those thinking we are going to shoot right back up the top are in for a rude awakening.

If anyone honestly expected him to re-sign with us on the day free agency opened, I really don't know what to tell you. Whether he told the club or not, he had very clearly made up his mind days if not weeks earlier.

And there's nothing wrong with that either. Why would a 32 year old want to hang around at the bottom of the ladder if better teams are after him? Whether he gets a fourth flag or not, he is undoubtedly in a better position to see it than if he was at Hawthorn. Those thinking we are going to shoot right back up the top are in for a rude awakening.
Shouldn’t there be some expectation that an experienced leader of your club (who has won three flags at the club) would help the re-build process, rather than jump ship? He is obviously within his right to do whatever he wants, but the jumping ship as soon as the going gets tough leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Shouldn’t there be some expectation that an experienced leader of your club (who has won three flags at the club) would help the re-build process, rather than jump ship? He is obviously within his right to do whatever he wants, but the jumping ship as soon as the going gets tough leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Why should any player in his age bracket put the club before themselves? You think the club would show the same loyalty? Loyalty is a two way street and we have done our reputation no favours in recent times. Again, I think fans perception of the club they love (this extends to all fans I might add) is vastly different to reality.

I can't think of a situation where both team's supporters have actively pilloried a player changing teams - as much as this one, haha.

Crazy situation, but he's still a very good player, so I'm not complaining. Reckon our trade embargo is finished with this team swap, so in honour of that, have a crack at Narkle now. Would be a great fit for you guys

P.S. BJK#5 how are you feeling about all this?

Spot on mate, I'm actually amazed at the reaction from the majority of Hawthorn fans. Take emotion out of it and joining a top 4 team from a bottom 4 team is a no brainer if the money is similar.

Don’t blame Smith...who wouldn’t jump at an opportunity to play with such greats as Duckwood, Perkins & Dangerflog. Not to mention being coached by the humble supercoach Chris Scott !

:sick:

Just one more reason to hate Geelong now.

Guess 2008 will sting forever. 🐝

They were genuinely less disappointed losing the Grand Final last week even they were $1.20 to win the game before half time, and not be relegated to fourth behind Hawthorn, Brisbane and now Richmond.

I hate to break it to you handbaggers, but not only did we beat you in 2008, we did it comfortably. Something that never gets mentioned.

The only thing that disappointed me about Smith’s departure was Wright’s comment that he only told us yesterday morning. I have no problem with players moving on but think that last minute notice was a bit disrespectful to the club and it’s supporters.
I think everyone guessed that he was moving on but the way you do it is important.

The only thing that disappointed me about Smith’s departure was Wright’s comment that he only told us yesterday morning. I have no problem with players moving on but think that last minute notice was a bit disrespectful to the club and it’s supporters.
I think everyone guessed that he was moving on but the way you do it is important.
Whats he going to say he made up his mind months ago ?

I doubt this is actually what happened. Reports were flying around over the last few days that Clarkson made a panicked plea to him to stay and may have even upped our offer to him, so I think we knew. Wright also said they weren't expecting compensation which means they had time to process everything and come to a conclusion that may or may not benefit the clubs trade hand.

But the messages that come from the club are hardly ever accurate, and that one there says they want fans to believe it wasn't easy for him to leave the club. But the club also denied Ceglar was injured at all when he missed multiple games this season. And sent Henderson home needing surgery and didn't mention it to the fans until Sicily let it slip in a press conference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt this is actually what happened. Reports were flying around over the last few days that Clarkson made a panicked plea to him to stay and may have even upped our offer to him, so I think we knew. Wright also said they weren't expecting compensation which means they had time to process everything and come to a conclusion that may or may not benefit the clubs trade hand.

But the messages that come from the club are hardly ever accurate, and that one there says they want fans to believe it wasn't easy for him to leave the club. But the club also denied Ceglar was injured at all when he missed multiple games this season. And sent Henderson home needing surgery and didn't mention it to the fans until Sicily let it slip in a press conference.

Obviously the club ( and supporters) suspected that he was leaving as he hadn’t re-signed and of course I am taking Wright at his word that he was not officially told yesterday. I am also aware that clubs and players put a lot of spin on their public pronouncements in order to present things in the best light.
Nevertheless if Smith did not advise the club officially until yesterday I think that is pretty poor.

Or maybe he had just decided then that he'd commit to Geelong? You honestly think he'd decided ages ago and thought it best to wait until the last moment to confirm it?

You can't be mad at him this is what free agency was brought in for , players at his age who may only have 1-3 years max looking to play his last years in a successful side and planning for life after footy . If he was 27 fair enough id be upset he choose Geelong but where we are as a club now its not the biggest loss. Finally time for some of these younger players to be leaders and have a voice .

You can't be mad at him this is what free agency was brought in for , players at his age who may only have 1-3 years max looking to play his last years in a successful side and planning for life after footy . If he was 27 fair enough id be upset he choose Geelong but where we are as a club now its not the biggest loss. Finally time for some of these younger players to be leaders and have a voice .

Agreed. Getting upset at Smith is just wasted energy. We need to re-generate and this gives us another opportunity to do just that. Whether it be Phillips and Downie to partner Scully, or maybe a Dylan Moore getting greater opportunity, or one of Scrimshaw or Impey moving further up the field. The positives far outweigh the negatives.

Why should any player in his age bracket put the club before themselves? You think the club would show the same loyalty? Loyalty is a two way street and we have done our reputation no favours in recent times. Again, I think fans perception of the club they love (this extends to all fans I might add) is vastly different to reality.
It isn't like they are playing for peanuts. They're on good coin, have a large portfolio by the time their 30.

No one would have begrudge him leaving if he was chasing success after spending his career at a cellar dweller, but when he leaves after what he's achieved at the club, with the club wanting him to stay and lead the next generation, it really does come across poorly

Spot on mate, I'm actually amazed at the reaction from the majority of Hawthorn fans. Take emotion out of it and joining a top 4 team from a bottom 4 team is a no brainer if the money is similar.
Yep the Handbaggers were a top 4 team, but yet again they have * all to show for it.

You must be devastated.

If I had a dollar for every time you manage to mention how good the Handbaggers are while letting us all know how s**t we are, I could retire tomorrow.

Gotta laugh at the reason he's moving for lifestyle changes. Moving across to Perth or up north, sure, but it's an hour up the road ffs. Sounds like he's been head*ed from cabin fever of Covid lockdown.

He made the right call. Goes to a top 4 team for his last couple of years. Beats playing for a side finishing bottom 4 or 6 and recruiting recycled good average battlers on 3 year deals.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
I'm assuming here you are pertaining to Kartigan?
FFS its a 2 year deal for a player who will fill a void. Has cost us nada but a list spot & will provide cover while others learn the ropes!

I don't blame him..... some of his mates got tapped on the shoulder to go. He got in first. As to the destination choice..... who knows, maybe he's going to live down the coast. We owe him, and he should be able to do whatever he wants; he earned it. Always enjoyed his cheeky character and enthusiasm, I will miss him.

. Why would a 32 year old want to hang around at the bottom of the ladder if better teams are after him?

Not a shot at you, or anyone who thinks this way, but what about loyalty to a club that has given him more success and opportunity then 99% of players ever get in their careers?

But the flip side is we didn't show the same to our other 4 time premiership players by saying straight out "it's a entertain business only" on your way.

No romance left in a s**t corrupt product where the only thing left is to suck as much money as possible out of the consumers.

Hopefully this is final downward spiral of the afl before the consumers go "nah, I've had enough".

Though I doubt it, because the consumers have shown time and again that they'll put up with anything from the "governors" of this "sport".

Hopefully the "game" (entertainment product) continues to be so s**t to watch that the sheep consumers start to do something else with their time spending their money elsewhere.

Not going to happen when you have 100 thousand w***er supporters very happy to spend ridiculous amounts of money on a product that is boooooooooooooooring........

Just a wild hopeful thought. :laughing:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back