Smith exits via Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Settle down lad, the man isn't a campaigner he's a seasoned great of our club- he's also got a sense of humour and some tongue in cheek.

In your eyes his that, in my eyes he's the ultimate traitor. I don't need to hope as he will be booed like nothing before, I do hope who ever plays on him tears him a new one.

In your eyes his that, in my eyes he's the ultimate traitor. I don't need to hope as he will be booed like nothing before, I do hope who ever plays on him tears him a new one.
A scully shutdown perhaps?

Fair enough. I am not that disappointed to lose him for a draft pick that helps out our draft haul this year. It is more the constant negativity regarding where our list stands based on one bad year with extenuating circumstances. Are we precariously placed list wise? For sure, but fast forward to the start of season 2022 on the back of 2 strong drafts, hopefully Merrett as a free agent and a fit Sicily we can climb back into the finals. According to some on here we are doomed for the bottom of the ladder for the next 10 years which is terribly pessimistic from so called die hard Hawk fans!

Hardwick Frost Scrimshaw
Sicily Grainger-Barras* Impey
Day Mitchell Downie*
Perkins/Henry/Ford* Lewis Merrett
Breust Gunston Wingard
McEvoy O’Meara Worpel
Greaves O’Brien Cousins/Shiels
Horne/ Sinn/ Rachele/ Draper/ Sonsie/ Chesser or another quality young midfielder ( not inside) in next years draft with our 1st pick.
Not a bad looking side with a good age spread

Definitely not ten years of doom and gloom, but I don't think we can fix the current list needs in one or two years either, and I definitely don't share the opinion we will shoot right back up the ladder. We desperately need good ball users overall, we have one wing option on the entire list right now. Three small forwards who are not best 22 candidates in Hanrahan, Nash and Morris, and Kyle Hartigan as our starting full back. Our depth is very very poor outside the clearance based midfielders and half back flankers. I would argue we need to address ruck and full back, as well as wing and small forward but you can't just bang that all out in one hit. It's going to take time, and that's totally okay. There isn't a quick fix though, and it all starts with hitting a couple of drafts. Will Day alone cant fix everything.

Definitely not ten years of doom and gloom, but I don't think we can fix the current list needs in one or two years either, and I definitely don't share the opinion we will shoot right back up the ladder. We desperately need good ball users overall, we have one wing option on the entire list right now. Three small forwards who are not best 22 candidates in Hanrahan, Nash and Morris, and Kyle Hartigan as our starting full back. Our depth is very very poor outside the clearance based midfielders and half back flankers. I would argue we need to address ruck and full back, as well as wing and small forward but you can't just bang that all out in one hit. It's going to take time, and that's totally okay. There isn't a quick fix though, and it all starts with hitting a couple of drafts. Will Day alone cant fix everything.
I'm satisfied knowing we'll win our next Premiership before Geelong does because I don't see another Stephen Dank coming along anytime soon.

In the meantime we have a man who has all the early indicators of being another generational coach in Sam Mitchell waiting in the wings, and the Handbaggers are stuck with a thin-skinned sanctimonious weasel most of their supporters can't stand. Nor do we have a storied history of mental capitulation in finals and our financial situation's immeasurably healthier.

We'll have the last laugh, we always do.

No need to get defensive about it, you also TazHawk15, we simply aren't that attractive of a destination at this point in time. Hopefully our time in the sun comes once again down the track. It starts with us making good draft choices next few years etc, then hopefully we'll be a more appealing destination for good footballers.
We all know this, no need to be a Captain Obvious.

It’s the constant fawning over the Handbaggers you seem to engage in that gets a tad predictable.

You do realise that we have been in the same Comp for 35 odd years less than them and yet still have 4 more Premierships than they have?

You do realise that since you have been alive, they have never beaten us in a GF?

You do realise that for all the gushing you do about them being a top 4 side and being a destination club for the last 9 years have netted them sweet * all in Premierships won?

You do know that we have won a 3 Peat in this time frame, when they have won none?

All Hawk supporters would know exactly where we sit ATM.
We just don’t need to hear you gush about a club that by any definition you want to apply, are inferior to us.

Trust me when I tell you this, the Handbagger cliff is coming.

So Smith said he had several sleepless nights before his decision.Maybe he should have gone to bed and started counting Hawthorn premiership cups including the 3 of which he was involved. Surely that would have resulted in a good kip and perhaps a different outcome.
He had so many sleepless nights, yet he didn’t stay loyal to the Mighty Hawks, probably had sleepless nights, about back flipping on the Dees, Wander what handbag he is checking out on EBay to purchase.

Hawks forever, through the highs and the lows

Last edited:
Just caught up on this thread and:

1. Why are some people so salty? It’s a business. Players move for money and opportunity. Don’t take it so personally.

2. Our list is average and we are about to rebuild. Geelong just lost the GF. We are most likely 2-3 years away from contending. If it’s earlier, so be it.

3. Sam Mitchell isn’t the coaching messiah. Frankly, our midfield, which he has been coaching, has hardly beaten any other midfield of note. He is way off being a Clarkson replacement.

4. we aren’t a destination club at present. Maybe Clarko’s reputed hardness and clinical assessment of players (exiting all those multiple premiership players before they wanted to) has given him a reputation as a bit “old school” and one who won’t dust a players nuts to make them feel better about themselves. If so, and we want to attract more players, a change in coach sooner rather than later is warranted.

1. Why are some people so salty? It’s a business. Players move for money and opportunity. Don’t take it so personally.

2. Our list is average and we are about to rebuild. Geelong just lost the GF. We are most likely 2-3 years away from contending. If it’s earlier, so be it.

3. Sam Mitchell isn’t the coaching messiah. Frankly, our midfield, which he has been coaching, has hardly beaten any other midfield of note. He is way off being a Clarkson replacement.

4. we aren’t a destination club at present. Maybe Clarko’s reputed hardness and clinical assessment of players (exiting all those multiple premiership players before they wanted to) has given him a reputation as a bit “old school” and one who won’t dust a players nuts to make them feel better about themselves. If so, and we want to attract more players, a change in coach sooner rather than later is warranted.
s**t take of the day.

small forwards/ let’s go after a chad wingard type?

Every coach has an end date at a club, I feel the next 2 years will be extremely important to see if Clarkson stays at Hawthorn beyond 2022.
Even C.Scott the bloke you fawn over?

At his current rate he would take 43 years to match Clarko 4 Premierships.

Last edited:
small forwards/ let’s go after a chad wingard type?
Ideally I'd be looking to get a zippy pressure type to sit at the feet of Lewis and Patton who I'd be trying to play in tandem. The trouble is they are very in vogue and almost impossible to pry out good ones. I don't think Wingard is going to apply the kind of pressure we'd be looking to get consistently out of the player in that role

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way I think of Issie’s departure is that a player with 2 - 3 years left has given us compensation (Pick 44) that will “pay” for half of the points-cost for Connor Downie (10+ years left).

Combined with Smith’s 3 premierships I say, “So long, And thanks for all the fish”.

Attachments

• F1C8D474-5133-427F-AE2B-0B169AF4E133.jpeg
    F1C8D474-5133-427F-AE2B-0B169AF4E133.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 50

you agree the list is not up to it

So you suggest we get rid of a 4 time premiership coach who has rebuilt the club twice and who “can make clinical assessment of players” and replace him with a coach who makes players feel better about themselves:

What a recipe for success.

you agree the list is not up to it

So you suggest we get rid of a 4 time premiership coach who has rebuilt the club twice and who “can make clinical assessment of players” and replace him with a coach who makes players feel better about themselves:

What a recipe for success.
You wouldn’t get rid of him now obviously but if we continue to go backwards the next 2 years you would think his time is up.

He has obviously overrated the list the last few years.

Older players retiring/leaving forces a rebuild which is a good thing imo.

The amount of negativity you post towards our club is a joke. Surely you're a Geelong fan in disguise?

Why's it a joke to suggest Clarkson's time might be up if we go poorly in the next 2 seasons ? If that does happen it would get us to 7 years without a finals victory and missing the 8 5 times in 6 seasons. I'm struggling to see how it's a joke questions would be asked if that's how it plays out.

Maths not your strong point?

I probably should have worded it better, if Hardwick wins next year he'll have 4 in 12 seasons and Clarkson 4 in 17 seasons, I am aware Clarkson was 4 in 11 seasons after 2015.

I think this Richmond group have another few years in them also, be interesting to see how many they end up getting.

Last edited:
Why's it a joke to suggest Clarkson's time might be up if we go poorly in the next 2 seasons ? If that does happen it would get us to 7 years without a finals victory and missing the 8 5 times in 6 seasons. I'm struggling to see how it's a joke questions would be asked if that's how it plays out.
It’s the glee you seem to repetitively point it out that is getting annoying.

We all know where we sit ATM, stop being Captain Obvious.

Just give the Handbagger and Tiggers love fest a rest.

Is that too hard?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back