Smokies or gambles that paid off for you in 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

We have a thread for our biggest regrets of the season, so i thought we could have a brag thread about the selections or trades we nailed.

For me, I gambled with Seb Ross as a sub 400k at the start of the year. Averaged almost 100 over 17 rounds and was my last upgrade. Was a great unique for me.
Max Gawn i picked from the start when the jury was out on his durability. Had never played more than half a year before this season but he has turned into my best premo pick out of the 12 i got at the start.
My best trade was bringing in Heath Shaw around round 8 or 9. Had dropped about 20k in price from his starting value, and the week i upgraded a rookie to Shaw he went on a tear for a couple 9f months getting huge scores. Dropped off badly late in the year, but I got his best weeks and at a discount to boot.

What are the selections the rest of you have nailed?

Brought in Zach Merrett after round 2 at 537k.
Started with Lachie Hunter, never left the team.
Started with Hall, but had to trade him out eventually. Was a good pick.
Got Dusty in rd 8 for 508k. He started the season slowly but ended like a freight train.
I picked up Hanley when he top scored (146 I think)....he left the team soon after.
Didn't start with Danger in, but bit the bullett and got him after rd 1 v Hawks. Glad I didn't hold off.
Kept Mills the whole season, he has rewarded me lately with his good finish. Ditto Wells.
Gawn and Hanners were good premos to start with.

Started with Danger, Hunter & Duncan, traded Merrett & Zorko in early, traded Lewis in right before his big run of 100s.

That's probably about it.

Should finish top 1000 which would be nice.

Captaining Dusty in his 161!

Maybe bringing in Zorko rd2, his early season form was a huge POD that held my team in good stead. Not bringing in Ablett at all helped too.

Starting with Gawn, Shaw, Zerrett, Hunter, Danger, Zorko, Dusty definitely payed off.

The rest of my team is a fail! Hence my ranking.

How did you not kill it ?

Not many wouldve started with Zerrett and Heath Shaw along with all those.

How did you start with Zorko? didnt play Round 1?

Doubt it will be relevant next year but the one that stands out for me was getting James Kelly in DEF early. Only went under 80 once for the season. I traded him out late when he missed a game, but I shouldn't have.

Getting rid of Stef early was a good move too, although I can't say I saw what happened next coming. It was purely based on his concussion and nobody could have foreseen the impending "Leppitsch Effect".

Tom Mitchell could've been a masterstroke, if it weren't for the 60s he kept throwing up from time to time.

How did you not kill it ?

Not many wouldve started with Zerrett and Heath Shaw along with all those.

How did you start with Zorko? didnt play Round 1?

Oops not zorko. Had him all pre-seaaon..... Haha, the rest of my team was a shambles. Didnt pick th right rooks......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back