Smoking

I loathe smoking/have no empathy towards smokers , in much the same way that many other people seem to hate veganism/have little empathy towards vegans.
You're a health professional aren't you? I'd question your ability to do your job properly with an attitude like that.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
You're a health professional aren't you? I'd question your ability to do your job properly with an attitude like that.
My son works in the emergency department of a large Brisbane hospital and while he is not a doctor he does talk to them regularly. Doctors are astounded that a lot of the health problems in today's society are self inflicted ie. over indulgence in food, alcohol, smoking. There is a lot of behind the scenes derision of these sort of patients.

My son works in the emergency department of a large Brisbane hospital and while he is not a doctor he does talk to them regularly. Doctors are astounded that a lot of the health problems in today's society are self inflicted ie. over indulgence in food, alcohol, smoking. There is a lot of behind the scenes derision of these sort of patients.
Good on them, perhaps it's all this good healthy living that contributes to their high suicide rate.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Good on them, perhaps it's all this good healthy living that contributes to their high suicide rate.
Perhaps, who knows what leads a person to such a depressive state that they would end their own lives, all very sad. Maybe it's the hopelessness and despondency they feel that they can't seem to do anything about self inflicted health issues.

I'm in Paediatrics , and frequently see the damaging impact of parental/passive smoking

I used to work with adults though, and I frequently used the motivational interviewing technique
(The little empathy I have towards smokers , is reserved for those who are truly trying to quit)

I'd question my ability to do my job properly if I condoned and/or was indifferent towards smoking .
Doctors are astounded that a lot of the health problems in today's society are self inflicted ie. over indulgence in food, alcohol, smoking. There is a lot of behind the scenes derision of these sort of patients.
Not sure if astounded is the word for it (since many health professionals have their own unhealthy habits ), but I agree with the sentiment .

I'm in Paediatrics , and frequently see the damaging impact of parental/passive smoking

I used to work with adults though, and I frequently used the motivational interviewing technique
(The little empathy I have towards smokers , is reserved for those who are truly trying to quit)

I'd question my ability to do my job properly if I condoned and/or was indifferent towards smoking .

Not sure if astounded is the word for it (since many health professionals have their own unhealthy habits ), but I agree with the sentiment .
I wouldn't go near a quack like you for quids, smoking is a terrible habit, but failure to understand why people light up fails to understand the human condition.

Perhaps, who knows what leads a person to such a depressive state that they would end their own lives, all very sad. Maybe it's the hopelessness and despondency they feel that they can't seem to do anything about self inflicted health issues.
The reasons for the high rate of suicide are multifactorial, but factors such as access to means/the knowledge to carry it out "successfully", system-related issues (the lack of support , and fear of mandatory reporting/repercussions, the hours/stresses, both emotional and physical) , the culture , and even the way we all treat each other/the culture of bullying ) and even innate/personality/temperament-related factors (we tend to be perfectionists) would be far ahead of "good healthy living")

There has been more awareness in recent times too due to the stories in the media . I saw this earlier today
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...r/news-story/65c5e15e3965fbc22ffc90c6e066bdb3

The reasons for the high rate of suicide are multifactorial, but factors such as access to means/the knowledge to carry it out "successfully", system-related issues (the lack of support , and fear of mandatory reporting/repercussions, the hours/stresses, both emotional and physical) , the culture , and even the way we all treat each other/the culture of bullying ) and even innate/personality/temperament-related factors (we tend to be perfectionists) would be far ahead of "good healthy living")

There has been more awareness in recent times too due to the stories in the media . I saw this earlier today
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...r/news-story/65c5e15e3965fbc22ffc90c6e066bdb3
Emotional factors that cause people to act contrary to they best interests of their health. Who'd have thought it?

I wouldn't go near a quack like you for quids, smoking is a terrible habit, but failure to understand why people light up fails to understand the human condition.
Emotional factors that cause people to act contrary to they best interests of their health. Who'd have thought it?
I never said that I don't understand why people light up (it's one of many unhealthy mechanisms to cope with stress)
You acknowledge that it's a terrible habit .... so I doubt you'd be the sort of smoker I have no empathy for (ie the ones who are inconsiderate)
It's one thing to act contrary to the best interests their health , but it goes beyond that when their choices affect other people
I'm in Paediatrics anyway . So I doubt our paths would ever cross , thankfully.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
I smoked a packet a day from the ages of 14-24. I quit cold turkey when one of my close girlfriends got pregnant because I didn't want to smoke around her or the baby. I'm an asthmatic and I'd previously smoked through bouts of pneumonia. It's a shame that it took someone else's health for me to consider quitting rather than just doing it for myself.

I really enjoyed smoking and I still miss it.
How does an underage person get access to a pack a day?

t_94

Premiership Player
May 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
They're ******* hideous. Beggars belief how a young person could take them up with the knowledge of how s**t they are for you these days. No sympathy.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Smoked full on for 6-7 years, started to cut back when I met my wife and she got pregnant.

I quit cold turkey when one of my close girlfriends got pregnant because I didn't want to smoke around her or the baby.

At my old jerb there was a woman who was trying to get pregnant. Once pregnant, then she tried giving up smoking. Pretty ******* horrible. Relapsed. Kid's ****ed before it's even born :rolleyes:

Doesn't agree with me at all.
Weed on the other hand.

I smoke a couple joints a weekend. * doing tobacco on its own. Has to be the most pointless addiction going.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Had maybe 10 cigarettes my whole life. (All when drinking/out). Just never felt the need to take it up. Don't find them the least bit addictive. Don't even know why I even bothered to try really.

At my old jerb there was a woman who was trying to get pregnant. Once pregnant, then she tried giving up smoking. Pretty ******* horrible. Relapsed. Kid's ****** before it's even born :rolleyes:

I smoke a couple joints a weekend. **** doing tobacco on its own. Has to be the most pointless addiction going.
My ma puffed on thirty a day for both her pregnancies.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Maybe, in my experience anecdotally genetics must come into it quite a bit, I know 2 people who are smokers and have lived well into their 80s and do not have cancer and are reasonably healthy, on the other hand a woman I knew died at 54 from smoking related cancer, she smoked roughly half a packet a day.

A lot seems to come down to genetics.

My grandfather smoked like a chimney from when he has about 12 and lived into his 90s.

My dad quit in his 50s and doctors were extremely happy with how his health was / is.

Still doesn't make me keen to roll the dice however!

I have probably had one cigarette in the past year and I didn't enjoy it.

Jan 26, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne United

The profession just needs to do something about it rather than write another article about awareness. Many other professions are also stressful, and we have a lot of rewarding aspects to practising medicine.

The profession just needs to do something about it rather than write another article about awareness. Many other professions are also stressful, and we have a lot of rewarding aspects to practising medicine.
On the one hand , my workplace does have wellbeing related initiatives like Peas in a Pod (a mentoring/debriefing setup), but ultimately the issues are much higher up than

Back