Smoking

Remove this Banner Ad

What's curious about smokers is their huge selfishness.

'It's too expensive, it's targetting us, it's unfair!' 'What do you mean we can't smoke out the front of pubs anymore?!'

It's very bizarre how entitled they are to feel like their habit – which isn't even something they need – overrides all civic perspectives. It's like smokers rights should have the same bargaining power and respect as human rights. Very odd.

What a crock of s**t!

Can you generalize anymore?

There's a video on YouTube that claims you'll never smoke again in 10 minutes or less of persuasion. Yes it sounds like a bullshit and clickbait title but it has worked wonders for me. A lot of his advice comes from the Carr book others are referring to.

There's a video on YouTube that claims you'll never smoke again in 10 minutes or less of persuasion. Yes it sounds like a bullshit and clickbait title but it has worked wonders for me. A lot of his advice comes from the Carr book others are referring to.
Have you got a link?

One other thing I recommend is after gaining momentum with your quitting (say 3 days to a week) , to make a wager with a friend or family member. I set mine at $100 with my housemate each cigarette I smoke I had to pay him $100. Trust me no cigarette is worth paying that fine and it's extra incentive to stay off them altogether. Requires honesty too obviously.

One other thing I recommend is after gaining momentum with your quitting (say 3 days to a week) , to make a wager with a friend or family member. I set mine at $100 with my housemate each cigarette I smoke I had to pay him $100. Trust me no cigarette is worth paying that fine and it's extra incentive to stay off them altogether. Requires honesty too obviously.
Last time I quit I made a bet with a mate who also wanted to give them the flick. We are both tattooed and know that a line down the underside of your foot the entire length (toe to heel) would be pretty bad so we made a bet that the first to crack had to get that tattooed. My mate cracked first after about 3 weeks, didn’t make him do it though and now we are both back on them and trying to quit again. I lasted 3 months before I cracked as I was working away with nothing to do.

What's curious about smokers is their huge selfishness.

'It's too expensive, it's targetting us, it's unfair!' 'What do you mean we can't smoke out the front of pubs anymore?!'

It's very bizarre how entitled they are to feel like their habit – which isn't even something they need – overrides all civic perspectives. It's like smokers rights should have the same bargaining power and respect as human rights. Very odd.

Here's another way to look at it.

I grew up in Tassie, which I think was one of the first places to ban smoking in pubs after a campaign from unions. Despite being a devout unionist, at the time I thought "it's a bit rich to get a job at a pub and then complain about something you were aware of beforehand." A bit like the boomers who would buy property in Battery Point in Hobart then complain about the nightclubs and the clientele that were there before they were.

But whatever, we all became accustomed to it.

The result was that most of the decent pubs in Tassie developed these excellent outdoor areas with those gas heaters to make sure they were still attracting customers. Make no mistake - these things were built as a reaction to smoking laws, nothing else.

So to me, it was absolutely bullshit when the areas that were built for smokers were later declared non-smoking.

And the cycle continues - pubs would build another area that was cordoned off from the main outdoor area, many of them creating what could only be described as a pen.

Ok, fine. It's a pain in the arse, it's less social cos you're leaving your non-smoking mates (even if you're with smoking mates you're not going to sit in a toxic pen all night), and it makes a lot of people less likely to go out.

And then in Victoria? Those places were pretty much eradicated too, because you are no longer allowed to smoke anywhere that meals are served. So publicans are in a garbage situation where they're losing money on food.

So yeah, you're damn right I'm pissed off if I can't even smoke out the front of the place any more. Smoking is legal, and it's taxed enough that we're paying much more than our fair share towards the health system. If you want to treat smokers like they're breaking the law, then ******* ban it and see what happens to budget bottom lines.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back