Draft Watcher Smythe's 2021 Draft Thread - Full Phantom with pick swaps post #295

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Cats trading seems a bit odd. Why would we give up our future first for effectively Port’s future first which is likely to be a worse pick next year? And why would we trade in pick 23 only to trade it out again? We have the pick before already so it wouldn’t be to secure an earlier shot at a particular player.
Yeah I see what you mean🧐, you’re right, that one is a bit odd and needs some reworking……… but the cats ARE odd anyway 🤣

If the dogs manage to trade themselves into a future 1st, particularly one from a team who at some point in the next few years will drop off a cliff, they will 100% not trade it out for a Darcy Wilmot. I rate the player but he is in no way a need.

Edit: Geelong also have only taken 1 first rounder in 3 years (including 2021 assuming they don't trade one in), meaning the AFL wouldn't allow them to trade out their future first.

Last edited:

If the dogs manage to trade themselves into a future 1st, particularly one from a team who at some point in the next few years will drop off a cliff, they will 100% not trade it out for a Darcy Wilmot. I rate the player but he is in no way a need.

Edit: Geelong also have only taken 1 first rounder in 3 years (including 2021 assuming they don't trade one in), meaning the AFL wouldn't allow them to trade out their future first.

With both Bazzo and Motlop available getting that pick would be super nice.

Can definitely see the eagles jumping at erasmus if he's still there.
Sheldrick is an interesting one. He's performed very well recently and most wc fans wouldnt be disappointed if we took him this early

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Can you imagine the melts on the WC board if Erasmus & Johnson are both still available and we pick someone like Sinn?

Id be happy with Sheldrick at our 2nd pick though. If this is how the draft ended up I’d be pretty happy.

Can you imagine the melts on the WC board if Erasmus & Johnson are both still available and we pick someone like Sinn?

Id be happy with Sheldrick at our 2nd pick though. If this is how the draft ended up I’d be pretty happy.

Iam not too worried about Erasmus though if Freo dont pick him he will get through to us.
No one else will pick him in top ten due to his go home factor he is a mummy's boy and doesnt want to leave wa
a bit like Bailey Smith.
I also prefer Johnson to Erasmus because of the kicking ability.
But Johnston has no go home factor so could be picked before we have a shot at him.

Iam not too worried about Erasmus though if Freo dont pick him he will get through to us.
No one else will pick him in top ten due to his go home factor he is a mummy's boy and doesnt want to leave wa
a bit like Bailey Smith.
I also prefer Johnson to Erasmus because of the kicking ability.
But Johnston has no go home factor so could be picked before we have a shot at him.
On the Road to the Draft, Erasmus says he is not fussed about moving away @31:20

He will fit in well with the 7 other Sandgropers we have at the tigers

Lol what are you talking about? We've taken 3 first rounders in the last 3 years?

2019 - Pick 16, Cooper Stephens
2019 - Pick 19, Sam De Koning
2020 - Pick 20, Max Holmes

Lol what are you talking about? We've taken 3 first rounders in the last 3 years?

2019 - Pick 16, Cooper Stephens
2019 - Pick 19, Sam De Koning
2020 - Pick 20, Max Holmes

My bad, read Holmes as pick 20 and assumed outside 1st round, forgetting about all the bids and compo picks. Just plain forgot about Stephens, thought he was earlier.

My bad, read Holmes as pick 20 and assumed outside 1st round, forgetting about all the bids and compo picks. Just plain forgot about Stephens, thought he was earlier.

All good :)

Btw, highly unlikely we'll trade our future 1st this year anyway, given our lack of senior list spots and the precarious list position we'll be in over the coming years - so the point is moot anyway.

Just thought I'd clear up that we can do it if we want - but there's not really much chance that we actually will.

On the Road to the Draft, Erasmus says he is not fussed about moving away @31:20

He will fit in well with the 7 other Sandgropers we have at the tigers

Mate that is smoke screen WA boys are told to say there are happy to go anywhere.
I have spoken to his manager and its pretty well known that he wants to stay in WA
If he gets drafted interstate you know in a few years he will want to go home
There are some every year like him at the top end of the draft, that will be go home threats
he is just another one.

Mate that is smoke screen WA boys are told to say there are happy to go anywhere.
I have spoken to his manager and its pretty well known that he wants to stay in WA
If he gets drafted interstate you know in a few years he will want to go home
There are some every year like him at the top end of the draft, that will be go home threats
he is just another one.
There those concerns when we recruited Shai Bolton. A well know draft watcher at the time flagged this. When players get embedded into a culture of a club they can become settled. Seems to be at non Victorian clubs that it is a bigger issue.

The Tigers will go with the best available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was an awful trading down exercise by St.Kilda. There is absolutely no way our recruiting and list management team gets out alive if that happens on draft night. I feel like we were a vehicle to get players where you wanted them.

Incorrect we took 2 R1s in 2019 and one last year.

One more phantom draft with pick swaps coming tomorrow, it was already completed four days ago but i have been too busy to put it up and working again today so i will post it tomorrow, and next week will be a no pick swap mock.

When do you anticipate your last one for the year will be done?

When do you anticipate your last one for the year will be done?
My first and last full mock draft with pick swaps will be posted tomorrow.
Nov 12th - a first round mock with no pick swaps, and this will be the last one unless there are pick swaps leading into the actual draft, then i will adjust accordingly.
November 22nd i will post something a bit different with my top 40 prospects and which team/s they would suit. I will also be providing a list of my favorites (which i did earlier in the year) just to see how the list has changed as the year went on showing who dropped off and who i have added.

One more phantom draft with pick swaps coming tomorrow, it was already completed four days ago but i have been too busy to put it up and working again today so i will post it tomorrow, and next week will be a no pick swap mock.
Surely you don't prioritise your employment ahead of Bigfooty. That would be unfathomable.

FULL PHANTOM WITH PICK SWAPS
FINAL PHANTOM WITH PICK SWAP IDEAS, BUT ITS ALSO A FULL DRAFT PHANTOM

I think after a quick double check i have all the picks correct

ROUND 1
1 - :north: - Jason Horne Francis
Hawks trade 5 with future 1st and 2nd to GWS for 2, future 1st and 2nd
2 - :collingwood: - Nick Daicos - Hawks bid - Coll match
3 - :hawthorn: - Finn Callaghan
4 - :goldcoast: - Josh Gibcus
5 - :adelaide: - Josh Rachele
Wb trade 24 and future 2nd to Port for Future 1st
6 - :bulldogs: - Sam Darcy - GWS bid - Wb match
7 - :gws: - Mac Andrew
8 - :freo: - Jye Amiss - Freo take Amiss here to make sure Rich dont
9 - :richmond: - Ben Hobbs
10 - :freo: - Niel Erasmus
11 - :stkilda: - Josh Ward
12 - :westcoast: - Matt Johnson
13 - :essendon: - Arlo Draper
14 - :port: - Josh Sinn
15 - :gws: - Josh Goater
16 - :brisbane: - Nasaiah Wanganeen-Milera
Ess trade future 1st and 3rd to Rich for 17 and future 2nd to grab a big inside mid
17 - :essendon: - Mitch Knevitt
18 - :sydney: - Sam Butler
Wb trade back in giving Melb Ports future 1st for 19 and a future 4th to sneak in and get a small lively fwd
19 - :bulldogs: - Jesse Motlop
20 - :brisbane: - Leek Alleer - i have them going for Leek here as he has come on in literal leaps and bounds this year, is more gifted athletically than JVR and Bazzo is a very resilient kid and bigger bodied than both

ROUND 2

21 - :freo: - Darcy Wilmot
22 - :north: - Jacob Van Rooyen
23 - :hawthorn: - Tyler Sonsie
24 - :geelong: - Tom Brown
25 - :port: - Campbell Chesser
Geel trade 32 and 34 to Hawks for 26
26 - :geelong: - Zac Taylor
27 - :carlton: - Judson Clarke
28 - :gws: - Josh Fahey - Rich bid - GWS match
29 - :richmond: - Blake Howes
30 - :stkilda: - Mitch Owens - Rich bid - Stk match
31 - :richmond: - Rhett Bazzo
32 - :richmond: - Cooper Murley
33 - :westcoast: - Matty Roberts
34 - :hawthorn: - Ned Long
35 - :sydney: - Connor Macdonald
36 - :hawthorn: - Lachlan Rankin
37 - :adelaide: - Toby Conway
Stk trade future 3rd and both future 4ths to bris for 45 and 64
38 - :stkilda: - Marcus Windhager - Geel bid - Stk match
39 - :geelong: - Kai Lohmann
40 - :westcoast: - Angus Sheldrick
41 - :melbourne: - Brady Hough

ROUND 3

42 - :sydney: - Corey Warner
43 - :north: - Oscar Adams
44 - :north: - Sam Banks
45 - :melbourne: - Jamieson Ballantyne
46 - :geelong: - Lewis Rayson
47 - :port: - Jase Burgoyne - Ess bid - Port match
48 - :essendon: - Ronald Fejo Jnr
49 - :collingwood: - Jack Williams
50 - :essendon: - Harvey Harrison
51 - :melbourne: - Taj Woewodin
52 - :collingwood: - Paul Curtis

ROUND 4

53 - :hawthorn: - Lochlan Paton
54 - :freo: - Miller Bergman
55 - :stkilda: - Charlie Dean
56 - :westcoast: - Morgan Ferres
57 - :freo: - Youseff Dib
58 - :sydney: - Hugh Jackson
59 - :north: - Jahmal Stretch
60 - :port: - Kade Dittmar

ROUND 5

61 - :adelaide: - Josh Browne
62 - :bulldogs: - Blake Schlensog - if he is not snatched up before the draft they make sure no one can sign him up by taking him here

A few clubs with list spots available still so its off to the rookie draft and/or DFA with them and or they wait till preseason signings and/or mid season draft

Last edited:
FINAL PHANTOM WITH PICK SWAP IDEAS, BUT ITS ALSO A FULL DRAFT PHANTOM

I think after a quick double check i have all the picks correct

ROUND 1
1 - :north: - Jason Horne Francis
Hawks trade 5 with future 1st and 2nd to GWS for 2, future 1st and 2nd
2 - :collingwood: - Nick Daicos - Hawks bid - Coll match
3 - :hawthorn: - Finn Callaghan
4 - :goldcoast: - Josh Gibcus
5 - :adelaide: - Josh Rachele
Wb trade 24 and future 2nd to Port for Future 1st
6 - :bulldogs: - Sam Darcy - GWS bid - Wb match
7 - :gws: - Mac Andrew
8 - :freo: - Jye Amiss - Freo take Amiss here to make sure Rich dont
9 - :richmond: - Ben Hobbs
10 - :freo: - Niel Erasmus
11 - :stkilda: - Josh Ward
12 - :westcoast: - Matt Johnson
13 - :essendon: - Arlo Draper
14 - :port: - Josh Sinn
15 - :gws: - Josh Goater
16 - :brisbane: - Nasaiah Wanganeen-Milera
Ess trade future 1st and 3rd to Rich for 17 and future 2nd to grab a big inside mid
17 - :essendon: - Mitch Knevitt
18 - :sydney: - Sam Butler
Wb trade back in giving Melb Ports future 1st for 19 and a future 4th to sneak in and get a small lively fwd
19 - :bulldogs: - Jesse Motlop
20 - :brisbane: - Leek Alleer

ROUND 2

21 - :freo: - Darcy Wilmot
22 - :north: - Jacob Van Rooyen
23 - :hawthorn: - Tyler Sonsie
24 - :geelong: - Tom Brown
25 - :port: - Campbell Chesser
Geel trade 32 and 34 to Hawks for 26
26 - :geelong: - Zac Taylor
27 - :carlton: - Judson Clarke
28 - :gws: - Josh Fahey - Rich bid - GWS match
29 - :richmond: - Blake Howes
30 - :stkilda: - Mitch Owens - Rich bid - Stk match
31 - :richmond: - Rhett Bazzo
32 - :richmond: - Cooper Murley
33 - :westcoast: - Matty Roberts
34 - :hawthorn: - Ned Long
35 - :sydney: - Cooper Macdonald
36 - :hawthorn: - Lachlan Rankin
37 - :adelaide: - Toby Conway
Stk trade future 3rd and both future 4ths to bris for 45 and 64
38 - :stkilda: - Marcus Windhager - Geel bid - Stk match
39 - :geelong: - Kai Lohmann
40 - :westcoast: - Angus Sheldrick
41 - :melbourne: - Brady Hough

ROUND 3

42 - :sydney: - Corey Warner
43 - :north: - Oscar Adams
44 - :north: - Sam Banks
45 - :melbourne: - Jamieson Ballantyne
46 - :geelong: - Lewis Rayson
47 - :port: - Jase Burgoyne - Ess bid - Port match
48 - :essendon: - Ronald Fejo Jnr
49 - :collingwood: - Jack Williams
50 - :essendon: - Harvey Harrison
51 - :melbourne: - Taj Woewodin
52 - :collingwood: - Paul Curtis

ROUND 4

53 - :hawthorn: - Lochlan Paton
54 - :freo: - Miller Bergman
55 - :stkilda: - Charlie Dean
56 - :westcoast: - Morgan Ferres
57 - :freo: - Youseff Dib
58 - :sydney: - Hugh Jackson
59 - :north: - Jahmal Stretch
60 - :port: - Kade Dittmar

ROUND 5

61 - :adelaide: - Josh Browne
62 - :bulldogs: - Blake Schlensog - if he is not snatched up before the draft they make sure no one can sign him up by taking him here

A few clubs with list spots available still so its off to the rookie draft and/or DFA with them and or they wait till preseason signings and/or mid season draft

Dream come true. Darcy, Motlop, and Schlensog would be an A+ draft.

Callaghan and Sonsie 👍

Trading Pick 26 when Taylor, Clarke, Howes and Roberts are still on the board. 😖
yeah with that one Sam Mitchell will want to bring a big group of youngsters through together, covering all bases, so, instead of getting 1 guy from the group that are all rated fairly equally this way hawks get 2, i know they like Long as another big mid who can kick goals and Rankin is just a skillful goal kicking fwd and this way they get 2 of those types instead of 1 as i said before then look towards next year for the KPP's which is going to be a good year for them (KPPs that is) and with the trading they have kept picks for next year and will have some to play with as well as trading players

yeah with that one Sam Mitchell will want to bring a big group of youngsters through together, covering all bases, so, instead of getting 1 guy from the group that are all rated fairly equally this way hawks get 2, i know they like Long as another big mid who can kick goals and Rankin is just a skillful goal kicking fwd and this way they get 2 of those types instead of 1 as i said before then look towards next year for the KPP's which is going to be a good year for them (KPPs that is) and with the trading they have kept picks for next year and will have some to play with as well as trading players
I can see where you’re coming from, but we’ve already got 4 young inside mids on the list that Sam will be liking to give time too, so I can’t see us trading out 26 to get another. Particularly if Taylor or Roberts are there.

We need balanced mids and a small forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back