Draft Watcher Smythe's 2021 Draft Thread - Full Phantom with pick swaps post #295

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the Knocks on Sonsie? He seems to dropping down most phantom draft orders ATM but is rated in the top 10 of some draft rankings
What are the Knocks on Sonsie? He seems to dropping down most phantom draft orders ATM but is rated in the top 10 of some draft rankings
i had him high at the start of the year but he has dropped for me since, and kept dropping. others have risen due to improvements in areas of their games, sonsie for me is a 1 way runner and i have seen him get flustered a bit in contests and gets rid of the ball too quickly. the latter point can be fixed easy, but teaching the kid to be a 2 way runner and chase tackle is very hard to teach, you either have the hunger to do it or you dont. i feel, from what ive seen, that he doesnt have it and he has not improved that part of his game.

i had him high at the start of the year but he has dropped for me since, and kept dropping. others have risen due to improvements in areas of their games, sonsie for me is a 1 way runner and i have seen him get flustered a bit in contests and gets rid of the ball too quickly. the latter point can be fixed easy, but teaching the kid to be a 2 way runner and chase tackle is very hard to teach, you either have the hunger to do it or you dont. i feel, from what ive seen, that he doesnt have it and he has not improved that part of his game.
Sounds very similar to what’s been said about Rachelle.

ROUND 1

1 BID MATCHED COLL - N.DAICOS
2 NTH - J.HORNE
3 BID MATCHED WB - S.DARCY

16 GWS - J.FAHEY

ROUND 2

31 BID NOT MATCHED RICH - M.OWENS

34 BID MATCHED ADEL - B.O'LOUGHLIN
35 BID MATCHED FREO - J.MOTLOP

37 BID MATCHED PORT - J.BURGOYNE

ROUND 3

45 GWS - J.BROWNE
46 BID MATCHED GWS - S.FROST
I noticed that you don't have Josh Fahey's selection at #16 as a matched bid ... which he should be. Which would then wipe out the pick at 45 presumably. I'd be surprised if we then drafted Sam Frost, personally, but you never know.

I noticed that you don't have Josh Fahey's selection at #16 as a matched bid ... which he should be. Which would then wipe out the pick at 45 presumably. I'd be surprised if we then drafted Sam Frost, personally, but you never know.
as far as im aware he is not a father son and only an academy kid therefore no bid can be matched. im positive bids can only be matched from pick 21 onwards, therefore i have them grabbing frost later on. please correct me if im wrong, maybe i have read the new rules incorrectly? if i have read the room wrong, then yes, definitely they would match that bid for sure.

as far as im aware he is not a father son and only an academy kid therefore no bid can be matched. im positive bids can only be matched from pick 21 onwards, therefore i have them grabbing frost later on. please correct me if im wrong, maybe i have read the new rules incorrectly? if i have read the room wrong, then yes, definitely they would match that bid for sure.
Northern Academy kids can still be matched inside 20.

What the other guys said. That rule only applies to the NGA academies, not the Northern academies.

Northern academy kids can be bid-matched - but equally, my point is that you've assigned him to GWS so it appears that you have matched him in your mock draft as GWS don't have a pick in that region anyway.

Thanks for your efforts, I'm not trying to be critical, just correct.

Northern academy kids can be bid-matched - but equally, my point is that you've assigned him to GWS so it appears that you have matched him in your mock draft as GWS don't have a pick in that region anyway.

Thanks for your efforts, I'm not trying to be critical, just correct.
you are correct..oversight by me, it WAS actually supposed to be bid matched......thanks for the heads up. i will fix it up now

Interesting Mock. Curious about your thinking behind Fremantle preferring Johnson over Erasmus. And would love to hear your thoughts on Ditmar as well.
only just noticed your query on dittmar - i rate the way dittmar goes about his role. seems clean enough with disposal, i love his attack on the ball and his attack on opponents with the ball, good size about him, good hands above his head and can spread well. could be more attacking (he is a goal assists guy, but i want goals from him too) but played very well in the reserves a few weeks ago

(Log in to remove this ad.)

only just noticed your query on dittmar - i rate the way dittmar goes about his role. seems clean enough with disposal, i love his attack on the ball and his attack on opponents with the ball, good size about him, good hands above his head and can spread well. could be more attacking (he is a goal assists guy, but i want goals from him too) but played very well in the reserves a few weeks ago
Yeah I agree. A pretty strong prospect.

Hi Smythe, great work appreciate the effort, can please shed some light on Baggers selections. Chesser and Bazzo ? I would love Goater or Ward a little lower down should we win a game or two more , but gotta a feel last 3 will be Collingwood, Hawthorn and Carlton unfortunately.

Hi Smythe, great work appreciate the effort, can please shed some light on Baggers selections. Chesser and Bazzo ? I would love Goater or Ward a little lower down should we win a game or two more , but gotta a feel last 3 will be Collingwood, Hawthorn and Carlton unfortunately.
Campbell Chesser - 186-83 - is a big In/Out mid, provides run and carry from the midfield, spreads well and can win his own ball. Makes smart decisions and will hopefully build his game up again after coming back from injury. has class and moves smoothly.
Rhett Bazzo - 195-81 - is a defender but is a plug and play utility this year. before the season he was predicted as going early in the draft for this year but has been used out of position weekly for necessity as well as trying to learn other roles. Can be a very good intercept defender and did not do too bad whilst playing forward but had a miniscus injury. He is, in my eyes, definitely a defender first.

Last edited:
August TOP 50
AUGUST TOP 50

There has been some moving and shaking in the rankings this month, and some gut feels towards the end of the list with a few other names very stiff to miss out. With the announcement of possible champs games ahead it will be interesting times. I have Benning slotting in at 50 is mainly through his outstanding athleticism, willingness to tackle hard and he has shown very good work above his head and below his knees in limited exposure, but in a year where there are not many big guys with his agility i have him in at 50.

1 - Nick Daicos
2 - Jason Horne-Francis
3 - Sam Darcy
4 - Finn Callaghan
5 - Ben Hobbs
6 - Niel Erasmus
7 - Josh Ward
8 - Mac Andrew
9 - Josh Gibcus
10 - Arlo Draper
11 - Josh Rachele
12 - Matt Roberts
13 - Matt Johnson
14 - Tyler Sonsie
15 - Jacob Van Rooyen
16 - Josh Fahey
17 - Josh Sinn
18 - Campbell Chesser
19 - Josh Goater
20 - Ned Long
21 - Darcy Wilmot
22 - Jye Amiss
23 - Sam Butler
24 - Jesse Motlop
25 - Zac Taylor
26 - Mitch Knevitt
27 - Mitchito Owens
28 - Cooper Murley
29 - Tom Brown
30 - Jack Williams
31 - Bodhi Uwland
32 - Judson Clarke
33 - Nasaiah Wanganeen-Milera
34 - Zac Becker
35 - Lewis Rayson
36 - Connor Macdonald
37 - Sam Banks
38 - Blake Howes
39 - Isaac Birt
40 - Hugh Jackson
41 - Miller Bergman
42 - James Willis
43 - Corey Warner
44 - Josh Browne
45 - Toby Conway
46 - Morgan Ferres
47 - Rhett Bazzo
48 - Jase Burgoyne
49 - Blayne O'Loughlin
50 - Eric Benning

Phantom Draft August
Round 1

1 - Daicos - COLL - nth bid matched
2 - Horne-Francis - NTH
3 - Darcy - wb - adel bid matched
4 - Callaghan - ADEL
5 - Ward - GWS
6 - Andrew - HAW
7 - erasmus - GC
8 - Sinn - CARL
9 - Draper - FREO
10 - Hobbs - STK
11 - Van-Rooyen - RICH
12 - rachele - ESS
13 - gibcus - GWS
14 - johnson - WCE
15 - amiss - SYD
16 - wilmot - BRIS
17 - Roberts - PORT
18 - chesser - RICH
19 - fahey - GWS - bris bid matched
20 - williams - BRIS

Priority Pick

21 - sonsie - GC

Round 2

22 - butler - NTH
23 - Jackson - ADEL
24 - goater - HAW
25 - bazzo - HAW
26 - motlop - GC
27 - long - CARL
28 - owens - STK - rich bid matched
29 - knevitt - RICH
30 - Uwland - GC - rich bid matched
31 - Becker - RICH
32 - brown - GEEL
33 - taylor - GEEL
34 - warner - WCE
35 - macdonald - SYD
36 - wanganeen-milera - MELB
37 - browne - WCE
38 - conway - GEEL
39 - murley - ADEL

Last edited:
Round 1

2 - Horne-Francis - NTH
4 - Callaghan - ADEL
5 - Ward - GWS
6 - Andrew - HAW
7 - erasmus - GC
8 - Sinn - CARL
9 - Draper - FREO
10 - Hobbs - STK
11 - Van-Rooyen - RICH
12 - rachele - ESS
13 - gibcus - GWS
14 - johnson - WCE
15 - amiss - SYD
16 - wilmot - BRIS
17 - motlop - FREO - port bid matched
18 - chesser - RICH
20 - williams - BRIS

Priority Pick

21 - sonsie - GC

Round 2

22 - butler - NTH
23 - roberts - ADEL
24 - goater - HAW
25 - bazzo - HAW
26 - clarke - GC
27 - long - CARL
29 - knevitt - RICH
31 - Becker - RICH
32 - brown - GEEL
33 - taylor - GEEL
34 - warner - WCE
35 - macdonald - SYD
37 - browne - WCE
38 - conway - GEEL
39 - murley - ADEL
Freo can’t match Motlop bid inside 40 mate

Freo can’t match Motlop bid inside 40 mate
sorry bud, i did this a couple of weeks ago and have been busy since, but did learn of those new nga rules recently which i hadnt changed on here, however if he is a nominated nga by freo he can be matched from 21 onwards can he not? Which may happen.

Last edited:
sorry bud, i did this a couple of weeks ago and have been busy since, but did learn of those new nga rules recently which i hadnt changed on here, however if he is a nominated nga by freo he can be matched from 21 onwards can he not? Which may happen.
No, because he is metro area.

I like Draper, but would hope we opt for either van Rooyen or Amiss here.

Round 1

2 - Horne-Francis - NTH
4 - Callaghan - ADEL
5 - Ward - GWS
6 - Andrew - HAW
7 - erasmus - GC
8 - Sinn - CARL
9 - Draper - FREO
10 - Hobbs - STK
11 - Van-Rooyen - RICH
12 - rachele - ESS
13 - gibcus - GWS
14 - johnson - WCE
15 - amiss - SYD
16 - wilmot - BRIS
17 - Roberts - PORT
18 - chesser - RICH
20 - williams - BRIS

Priority Pick

21 - sonsie - GC

Round 2

22 - butler - NTH
23 - Jackson - ADEL
24 - goater - HAW
25 - bazzo - HAW
26 - motlop - GC
27 - long - CARL
29 - knevitt - RICH
31 - Becker - RICH
32 - brown - GEEL
33 - taylor - GEEL
34 - warner - WCE
35 - macdonald - SYD
37 - browne - WCE
38 - conway - GEEL
39 - murley - ADEL
You know I’ll throw my tv through my phone if that happens.

You know I’ll throw my tv through my phone if that happens.
You have plenty to play with and offer clubs in need of points so I reckon you will trade up even after what console said. I know the plan is to use the first 2 but you may move up the board I think To get the big guys you are after, especially with Ashcroft and fletcher coming next year (as you have pointed out previously) although there are also a few other big guys coming through that will go later in the draft.

You have plenty to play with and offer clubs in need of points so I reckon you will trade up even after what console said. I know the plan is to use the first 2 but you may move up the board I think To get the big guys you are after, especially with Ashcroft and fletcher coming next year (as you have pointed out previously) although there are also a few other big guys coming through that will go later in the draft.
Nah, it’s more about not drafting Goater with our second pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back