Trading Places Snake's trading game draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

What does a list preview and review include?
Preview: Before the trade period, what you need, what you're willing to sacrifice etc. The goals and targets.
Review: How things turned out, did you manage to achieve the goals you set prior to the trade period etc.

Mine was Roberts to Geelong it took a lot of effort

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How will the voting work?
Wont be a vote anymore due to biases from coaches. We are just gonna ask one or two famous posters on this forum to provide some feedback. I've already asked Knightmare, we can ask 1 or 2 more for this if anyone has someone in mind.

In order:
1. Ins and outs
2. Reasoning for each trade (Mention any trade scenarios)
3. Reasoning for each draft pick
4. Best 22
5. List preview and review
Is this sufficient analysis?
Hawthorn Football Club

Senior list

40 Players on Senior List

Rookie List
5 Category A Rookies, 2 Category B Rookies

Key:
Traded
Traded out then in again

National Drafted
Rookie Upgraded
Delisted Free Agent

Rookie Drafted

Draft Picks: 31, 32, 48, 67, 73, 78, 82, 88, 90, 108, 126, 144
2017 Draft Picks: Giants 2nd Rounder, Hawthorn 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th rounders
(Kade Stewart being upgraded)

SNAKES TRADE GAME ANALYSIS

INS & OUTS

Outs

Gunston
Birchall
Bruest
W.Langford
O'Rourke
Hartung
Whitecross
Duryea
Henderson
Willsmore(Delisted)

Ins(Draft)
Pick 31(Jack Graham), Pick 32(Patrick Kerr), Pick 48(Josh Williams), Pick 67(Brandan Parfitt), Pick 73(Matt Guelfi), Pick 78(Kade Stewart Rookie promotion), Pick 82(PASS), Conor Noonan(Rookie), Jack Fitzpatrick(Rookie), Jack Henry(Rookie)
INS(Trade, DFA)
Josh Bruce
Cam McCarthy
Lukas Webb
Tom Liberatore
Tom Sheridan
Jake Kolodjashnij
Brad McKenzie(DFA)

TRADE ANALYSIS

1) Breust, Howe and Birchall for Webb, Adams, pick 26 and pick 75(Bulldogs)
Not the biggest fan of Bruest. I have Sicily to seamlessly step into the role. Let Sicily develop as he looks very promising. From the start i wanted to bring in a younger team reason being i was ok with Birchall leaving. Webb replaces Birchall as younger talent. Pick 26 was always going to be on-traded aswell as pick 75. I knew Adelaide was keen on a tall defender after trading away D.Talia was always going to on-trade Marcus Adams

2) Marcus Adams, Whitecross & Pick 75 for Pick 20, 44 & 53(Adelaide)
On-traded Adams Adelaide for draft picks. Pick 20 & 26(received in previous trade) was a good start to get a young gun midfielder. Whitecross is easily replaceable although he was a very calm head and regularly did his role well.

3) Picks 44 & 53 for Picks 52, 58, 59 & 60(GWS)
Thought this was a bit of a steal. I upgrade Pick 53 to Pick 52 and give up pick 44 for picks 58, 59 & 60. I was always going to on-trade at least 3 of the 4 picks i received although i ended up trading all 4 of them out.

4) Pick 20 + Duryea + Pick 26 + Pick 52 for Pick 14 + Pick 16 + Pick 78(Brisbane)
Again a trade to get higher up the order to tempt someone to trade a young gun midfielder. Duryea is a decent loss however i was quite determined to add a young gun midfielder.

5) W.Langford for Douglas + Pick 67(Adelaide)
Langford to Adelaide was my trade scenario. happy to cop a bit of a loss on that one to get it out of the way. Douglas ended up being packaged with Henderson for Pick 48 and I picked Parfitt with Pick 67 so ended up as a decent result for me.

6) Pick 14 + Pick 16 + Billy Hartung for Tom Liberatore + Pick 43(Bulldogs)
I finally get my young gun midfielder!!! Don't mind losing Hartung. Pick 43 in return is handy. I'm thrilled at this result though. It's exactly what Hawthorn need.

7) Daniel Howe + Jake Kolo(don't make me try to spell the whole name) for Pick 58 + Pick 59(Bulldogs)
Thought this was a steal. I get Howe back and also get Jake Kolodjashnij which i both rate. Would of been happy to part with pick 43 & 60 for them. Jake Kolodjashnij replaces Duryea and Howe provides much needed midfield depth.

8) Jono O'Rourke + Pick 43 for Tom Sheridan + Pick 50, 56(Fremantle)
This one i got a steal. I figured out that his trade scenario was Sheridan to Hawthorn as he was a bit too adamant on getting a trade done. I weaken my midfield depth but gain a good young half-backman. Planned to target the draft for midfielders so wasn't a big worry.

9) Jack Gunston for Pick 12 + 2017 1st Rounder + Cameron McCarthy(Fremantle)
I was very hesitant trading out Gunston as he's not far short of a superstar. Cam McCarthy takes his spot. Also recieve pick 12 and Freo's 2017 1st. Was thinking i could get a young gun key forward with pick 12 + steaknives. Big trade from me quite late in the trade period. really had to get things moving on from here

10) Pick 12, 50 for Josh Bruce, Pick 73(St Kilda)
Here's the young gun key-forward i managed a trade for. Had to get him as Roughead's AFL career is in doubt so Bruce and McCarthy is a great duo to lead the clubs forward-line for the next 8+ years.

11) Fremantles 2017 1st rounder, Pick 56 & 60 for Pick 31, 32 & 82(Collingwood)
Just wanted to get a decent position in the draft. In a real world trading scenario I would be getting way unders. Picks 31 & 32 become my highest draft picks. Quite happy with the trade. Was going to package them up for a higher draft pick but didn't eventuate. Ended up getting Jack Graham and Pat Kerr with picks 31 & 32.

12) Douglas & R.Henderson for Pick 48(Melbourne)
Just wanted to move up the draft order. Douglas and Henderson are both older than 28. Plan to get midfielders and half-backs in the draft anyway.

13) DFA - Brad McKenzie
Picked him in the DFA draft we had. replaces Henderson as depth.

14) Delisted - Dallas Willsmore
Was trying to trade him for a late pick. didn't happen. happy to delist him for an extra pick in the National Draft. Would say he wasn't too far from getting delisted by Hawthorn anyway.

DRAFT ANALYSIS

NATIONAL

The players i picked went at(what i picked them at), What they got picked in the national draft
Graham (31), 53
Kerr (32), 65
Williams (48), 36
Parfitt (67), 26
Guelfi (73), N/A
So essentially according to the National Draft I got pick 26, 36, 53, 65 & N/A

Pick 31 - Jack Graham
I'm surprised Graham made it to pick 53 in the National Draft on Friday. Ready-made. It was a needs pick for me though considering i'd traded out O'Rourke & W.Langford + the departures of Lewis & Mitchell. Although i did add Tom Liberatore to the team which is more than handy. Graham is for Immediate midfield depth and to eventually take a spot left open by the departures of Mitchell and Lewis.
8.5/10

Pick 32 - Patrick Kerr
Kerr was also a needs based pick for me as i'd traded out Gunston and delisted Willsmore. Even though i'd added Cam McCarthy & Josh Bruce there is still uncertainty about Rougheads future in AFL and Poppy will be nearing the end in a few years time. I also traded out Bruest.
7/10

Pick 48 - Josh Williams
Williams adds that speed Hawthorn have been lacking and adds depth after trading out Douglas, Henderson, Langford, JOR.
Has X-factor. bit of a wild-card but obviously is rated by the clubs as he was taken pick 36 in the national draft.
8.5/10

Pick 67 - Brandan Parfitt
Parfitt again adds speed & X-factor, could be a small forward or could be transformed into a midfielder. Was going to draft Jarman but Adelaide took him a few picks earlier. This guy is a similar type role to Jarman so i thought he'd be a nice addition. Was contemplating him with pick 48 so was stoked that he was still available 20 picks later at pick 67. Went Pick 26 in the national draft so obviously has talent that the clubs can recognise. 10/10

Pick 73 - Matt Guelfi
Guelfi was to just add another young midfielder to the team. Didn't know much about him but was going pick 40's in a couple phantom and mock drafts so thought he might be alright. Didn't get drafted on Friday night but has a bit of speed to him. Alright pickup. Don't know too much about him. May be a very solid footballer.
7/10

Pick 78(Rookie Upgrade) - Kade Stewart

ROOKIE
3rd Round - Conor Noonan
Noonan again one that had seen in the 40's in some phantom drafts. Bit of a project player. has some athleticism but needs to work on his game to polish it up. 7.5/10

2nd Round - Jack Fitzpatrick
Fitzy is obviousy just cover for the injured Ceglar. Can do a job. got some agility and speed for a big man. Back-up alongside Pittonet although Pittonet is more a genuine tap-ruckman and Fitzy is a Fwd/Ruck type. If Vickery gets injured then Fitzy may be the man. If McEvoy gets injured then i'd say Pitts comes in.
8.5/10

3rd Round - Jack Henry
Jack Henry is a needs based one. thought Hawthorn need a tall midfielder. Bit of a project player. see how he goes. Got picked up with
7/10

Overall. I'd rate my draft with the picks i had.
Rating: 8.5/10
or A-

BEST 22
B: Stratton Brand Gibson
HB: Burgoyne Frawley Sheridan
C: Shiels Mitchell Smith
HF: Puopolo McCarthy Rioli
F: Sicily Bruce Vickery
Foll: McEvoy O'Meara Liberatore
Int: Burton Lovell Hodge J.Kolo

Emg: Webb, Howe, Pittonet

RESERVES
B: Miles Nash Webb
HB: Glass Heatherley McKenzie
C: Parfitt Howe Williams
HF: Stewart Schoenmakers Kerr
F: Hardwick O'Brien Fitzpatrick
Foll: Pittonet Graham Guelfi
Int: Surman, Noonan, Henry, ???
Injured: Roughead, Ceglar

Key:
Traded
Traded out then in again

National Drafted
Rookie Upgraded
Delisted Free Agent

Rookie Drafted

PREVIEW & REVIEW

PREVIEW
From the start i knew i needed
Young Gun Midfielder
Young Half-back
An alright hand at the draft table

I managed all 3 of these things but maybe i would have like a slightly better hand in the draft

Was considering:
A young gun Key Forward
A Gun Key Defender

I got a young key forward ala Josh Bruce but i didn't get a gun key defender as i noticed there wasn't a desperate need for one and would just take away from the development of Brand.

Those were things i needed or considered but overall i just really wanted a younger list to continue going the way Hawthorn had already gone trading out Mitchell and Lewis.

Player that were going to be almost impossible to get from me:
T.Mitchell
O'Meara
Shiels
Frawley
Stratton
BB & Vickery(didn't want to go out poaching a ruck-man and Ceglar injured)
Burton
Lovell
Smith
Hodge
ONCE I GOT THEM
Liberatore
Bruce

Players that would have needed a very good offer to get:
Gunston - Got Traded
Rioli
Brand
Burgoyne
Gibson
Pittonet(again because of Ceglar being injured)
ONCE I GOT THEM
Jake Kolodjashnij

REVIEW:
I managed to achieve my goals. Probably would have liked to get higher in the draft but wasn't real goal just wanted to have a decent go at the draft which i did. I'm happy with how i went overall and think i made a team which could challenge for the flag in 4 years time.

For the future we have:
Got Parfitt to cover Puopolo in a few years time.
Got Graham to replace Hodge
Got Howe to replace Burgoyne
Got Kolo/Burton to replace Gibson. Brand is also in best 22 to help out.

Position by Position Depth

DEFENCE:
Key Defenders: Brand, Frawley, Gibson, Nash
Tallish Defenders: Stratton, Kolo, Heatherley
Medium Defenders: Sheridan, Webb, Miles, Glass, McKenzie, Miles

MIDFIELD:

Tallish Inside Midfielders(Starts 184cm): Hodge, Howe, Guelfi
Smallish Inside Midfielders(Ends 183cm): Mitchell, Liberatore, Shiels, O'Meara, Lovell, Graham
Outside Midfielders: Smith, Williams, Parfitt, Noonan

RUCK:
Tap Ruckman: Ceglar, Pittonet
Ruck/Fwd: McEvoy, Fitzpatrick, Vickery

FORWARD:
Key Forwards: Roughead, Bruce
2nd/3rd talls: McCarthy, Schoenmakers, Kerr, Henry
Small/Medium Forwards: Rioli, Sicily, Puopolo, Stewart, Hardwick

UTILITIES:

Tall Utilities: Burton, O'Brien, Surman
Small/Medium Utilities: Burgoyne

Are we happy with just Knightmare as our judge? I've talked to him, and he seems quite content with in-depth feedback for the teams participated.

Or do we want a few more? I think 3 is the maximum number, happy to listen to suggestions.

Are we happy with just Knightmare as our judge? I've talked to him, and he seems quite content with in-depth feedback for the teams participated.

Or do we want a few more? I think 3 is the maximum number, happy to listen to suggestions.
I think we should try to get 3. Have a variety of opinions.

I don't have anyone in mind. Just think if we could get 3 people it would be good.
Well it wouldn't be fair if I chose all 3 people, cause I can just choose people who will favour my team. If you guys want additional judges you should choose/ask them yourself.

Guys I'll apologise for not really getting this game finished.. I went to the cricket in Adelaide so was flat out last weekend. Kinda why I wanted to finsh it the week before. As for voting/ deciding the winner I'm not to worried

Remove this Banner Ad

Back