Universal Love Snark Moratorium

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade talk getting quite intense lately.

Anybody need to use the thread?
Apologies to anyone who thinks we'll finish above 14th on the ladder next year. I don't share you blind optimism have watched our season unravel.

And apologies for questioning the need to trade away early picks for wrinkly old b-graders. They might improve our list in the short term but I'm still scarred by Pagan's foreign legion that promised so much but delivered only Heath Scotland.

Ah, that one has been live and kicking across different threads for quite some time.

But I'm sure YOU knew that, ODN...

Insincerity but not in confessional form.

764916218-Foghorn-Leghorn-Quotes-1.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The trade Gibbs discussion has fired up again, and I've bitten pretty hard. It was mentioned to me in a PM by a good person that I may have lost a little composure in some of my posts...
I'm passionate about certain players and what they mean to our club. I believe these players add more value than their stats or trade value.
So I sincerely apologise to those I've responded to in an obnoxious, abrasive manner. Some of my posts are a little embarrassing, but it's an emotive topic and I need to remind myself that no one opinion is more or less valid than another...

Last edited:
The trade Gibbs discussion has fired up again, and I've bitten pretty hard. It was mentioned to me in a PM by a good person that I may have lost a little composure in some of my posts...
I'm passionate about certain players and what they mean to our club. I believe these players add more value than their stats or trade value.
So I sincerely apologise to those I've responded to in an obnoxious, abrasive manner. Some of my posts are a little embarrassing, but it's an emotive topic and I need to remind myself that no one opinion is more or less valid than another...

Tough topic! Both sides have legs which makes it harder.

Flags are won by loyalty, sacrifice and commitment.
Flags are won by smart drafting; grouping elite talent together all at once.

Rather than get frustrated, console yourself that Gibbs has organized himself such a great salary for his output that he wouldn't want to leave and would know other clubs wouldn't pay him the same coin as Carlton have.

Takes courage to admit you're wrong and we should trade Gibbs.

:D

I guess I blundered in again and went off (unintentionally) half-cocked with my comments about Dusty Martin and the Brownlow. Wish I wasn't so thoughtless at times, but I do appreciate the magnanimity of Jabba73 very much :)

I'm pretty upset about the 'timing' of the Gibbs announcement. Leaving aside the stated reasons - it felt liek the Club had been hijacked at teh beginning of trade period. Things could have been handled behind closed doors but instead it seems that Carlton has been put on teh back foot by one oif its Club leaders who still has 3 years to go on his contract.

Anyway - probably best that I kept my view on Gibbs to myself ( views I have held for years about him ) rather than use some ordinary language to describe him - apologies to Carlton supporters and posters life is too short for too much negative vibe.

I'm pretty upset about the 'timing' of the Gibbs announcement. Leaving aside the stated reasons - it felt liek the Club had been hijacked at teh beginning of trade period. Things could have been handled behind closed doors but instead it seems that Carlton has been put on teh back foot by one oif its Club leaders who still has 3 years to go on his contract.

Anyway - probably best that I kept my view on Gibbs to myself ( views I have held for years about him ) rather than use some ordinary language to describe him - apologies to Carlton supporters and posters life is too short for too much negative vibe.
Totally agree JaB. Beyond unprofessional and disrespectful on the Crows part.
Think they thought they could dictate the terms by announcing Gibbs' trade and by extension, his value.
In other words, CFC parted with Sauce, Betts and Menzel cheaply. Therefore same applies with Bryce. And we'll be thankful for whatever the Crows deign to give us in return.
Gibbs is our VC, one of our top 3 players and only 2 yrs into a 5 yr contract. Now wants to return to his home city. Don't begrudge him, nor his partner the right to do so.
Given his role, and the time he's been at the club, I too have been beyond disappointed by the timing of this announcement and Bryce's silence.
Who's his player manager? Both he and Gibbs should be demanding that Carlton is more than adequately compensated.
The positive from all of this is that SOS is nobody's fool and is an astute negotiator.
Like you JaB, am looking at this as a silver lining and defining moment. I trust SOS and co to turn this situation into a positive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back