Babylove

Premiership Player
May 3, 2003
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Great start by the Magpies. Bell already looking better than anyone who played Goal Attack last year for us and Thwaites picking up where she left off at the Comm Games.

Babylove

Premiership Player
May 3, 2003
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Cracking match. In the end the bad patch in the second quarter cost the us. We won 3 of the 4 quarters resulting in 3 bonus points on the ladder position but in the end went down by a goal. We looked much better in attack with Erin Bell combining with Thwaites.

Babylove

Premiership Player
May 3, 2003
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Just to explain the points system on the ladder the winner gets 4 points like in the AFL, but there are bonus points for winning each of the quarters. Each quarter is worth 1 point so there is a total of 8 ladder points on offer. So in this case we won three of the quarters and the Vixens won one of the quarters and the match. So the Vixens will have 5 points on the ladder and we will have 3.

Just to explain the points system on the ladder the winner gets 4 points like in the AFL, but there are bonus points for winning each of the quarters. Each quarter is worth 1 point so there is a total of 8 ladder points on offer. So in this case we won three of the quarters and the Vixens won one of the quarters and the match. So the Vixens will have 5 points on the ladder and we will have 3.
A curious system; it will be interesting to see how to plays out. I only seen patches of today's game, but we did look more threatening.

Babylove

Premiership Player
May 3, 2003
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
A curious system; it will be interesting to see how to plays out. I only seen patches of today's game, but we did look more threatening.
Yes we looked a lot better. The forward attack flowed a lot better, which was always a problem last year. If it wasn’t for that 5-8 minute period in the second quarter where we didn’t score we would have walked away with the full eight points.

On the bonus point system, my guess is the intention is to keep more teams alive and in contention for ladder positions longer into the season. With the competition only being 14 rounds teams can fall off the pace quickly and it can be hard to pull a team back. But with the bonus points, the intention would be to keep things tight (i.e. today Vixens won today but are less than a game ahead of us on points). Of course the risk is teams could walk away with the full eight points and create even bigger gaps too.

Cracking match. In the end the bad patch in the second quarter cost the us. We won 3 of the 4 quarters resulting in 3 bonus points on the ladder position but in the end went down by a goal. We looked much better in attack with Erin Bell combining with Thwaites.

That 2nd wtr hurt.
Our inability to throw two extra passes in attack using wa or c to get a closer shot to goal still stands out. Compared to vixens shooter who doesnt miss coz she shoots from under the post

Babylove

Premiership Player
May 3, 2003
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
That 2nd wtr hurt.
Our inability to throw two extra passes in attack using wa or c to get a closer shot to goal still stands out. Compared to vixens shooter who doesnt miss coz she shoots from under the post
We were definitely trying to force it quite a bit in the second. To be fair with the Vixens though a lot of the extra passes came from the GA not wanting to take the shot which even the commentators brought up later in the game. At times in that second half they probably passed it too often looking for the perfect shot.

We were definitely trying to force it quite a bit in the second. To be fair with the Vixens though a lot of the extra passes came from the GA not wanting to take the shot which even the commentators brought up later in the game. At times in that second half they probably passed it too often looking for the perfect shot.

In the end tegan not taking 4ft+ risky shots ended with them being infront sadly.
Our goalers need to become selfish and work for the extra position imho

Babylove

Premiership Player
May 3, 2003
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
In the end tegan not taking 4ft+ risky shots ended with them being infront sadly.
Our goalers need to become selfish and work for the extra position imho
I think the Vixens ending up in front was more inspite of that not because of it. The tale of the game was that with a couple of minutes to go in the 1st we were up by 4 goals, then the Vixens coach called time out and by half time the Vixens were 6 goals up and that’s what cost us the match. When we had momentum there Vixens where able to hang in and limit the damage, and when the Vixens had the momentum we weren’t. We had a near perfect second half, but we had gotten so far behind in the 2nd quarter we needed an absolutely perfect half, not an almost perfect one.

The good news was after such a long layoff due to illness Layton was able to find some form in the second half so hopefully she will be able to carry that through into next week.

Babylove

Premiership Player
May 3, 2003
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Some of the most bizarre coaching performances of all time today

No logic can explain moving April from GK
To be honest I haven’t been impressed by our coach in our two seasons. To have that amount of talent and to be getting the results that we are getting is just poor. I didn’t think that either moving April from GK or subbing out Kim Rav were warranted (the latter decision I think lasted 5 minutes before she was subbed back on). The April decision though probably stemmed from Layton not being terribly flexible. I’ve not seen her play anywhere but GK whereas both Tilly and April can play either GK or GD as demonstrated this season.

Our real problem this year seems to be our front third, it just doesn’t gel (it didn’t gel last year either). What’s even more concerning is that front third (WA, GA, GK) is really for the here and now with Thwaites, Bell & Robinson all over 30 and Teague-Neeld just not showing enough to think that she will be there beyond this season. As good as Thwaites and Robinson are individually that is the area of the court that really needs to be looked at.

To be honest I haven’t been impressed by our coach in our two seasons. To have that amount of talent and to be getting the results that we are getting is just poor. I didn’t think that either moving April from GK or subbing out Kim Rav were warranted (the latter decision I think lasted 5 minutes before she was subbed back on). The April decision though probably stemmed from Layton not being terribly flexible. I’ve not seen her play anywhere but GK whereas both Tilly and April can play either GK or GD as demonstrated this season.

Our real problem this year seems to be our front third, it just doesn’t gel (it didn’t gel last year either). What’s even more concerning is that front third (WA, GA, GK) is really for the here and now with Thwaites, Bell & Robinson all over 30 and Teague-Neeld just not showing enough to think that she will be there beyond this season. As good as Thwaites and Robinson are individually that is the area of the court that really needs to be looked at.

My wife was coached by Kristy at a high level and didn't rate her at all.

Our lack of GA continues to hurt badly.

April was turning the ball over.
Sharni at best shouldve come on into GD and been given free licence to go for every intercept available.
Shae Brown into GA was an option, not C were Kim Rav was finally playing well.

Kristy will not be our coach next season

Back