Draft Watcher Snoop Dog 2018 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the look of Hamill. Is our current #28 (although likely to be more like 32/33) too early for him?

We need some outside speed & quality ball users. A developing fwd/ruck would also be handy. I think we’ll take Bedford as an academy pick, likely around 40-50 range.

Was trying to get another tall forward in for WCE but couldnt land one around the right selection.

Where do you think Brander will land. Havent seen enough of him over there but I tend to think he may settle as a KPD?
Brander spent the first part of the season up front and then second part down back. That was stated as the plan. Oscar Allen did more the reverse but was a late start.

Really not sure where he will finally slot in. I would think his early career will be as a defender as AFL level. It may all change with injuries to important kpp. West Coast have invested in kpp and there will be healthy competition and the club has been good at not rushing development.

If I’m guessing - Allen plays forward and Brander back but it’s not in stone.

Last edited:
I like the look of Hamill. Is our current #28 (although likely to be more like 32/33) too early for him?

We need some outside speed & quality ball users. A developing fwd/ruck would also be handy. I think we’ll take Bedford as an academy pick, likely around 40-50 range.

Marginally but that has never worried Melbourne recruiters. When they want a player they hit them. years ago they had a few failed runs at it but more recently have been exceptional so they will back themselves in. He is certainly the type

ROOKIE DRAFT & Cat B Additions

Following players will be listed by respective clubs pre Rookie Draft;

Martin Frederick
Caleb Graham
Dirk Koenen
Matthew Walker
Jason Carter
Tom Medhat
Ben Silvagni

1 Carlton - Mitch Grigg

Outstanding ability to read game but probably lacks a yard. Dominated SANFL and won last 2 Magareys. Would be a super addition to Carlton midfield.

2 Gold Coast - Zane Barzen

This time last year I had him top 20. Injuries havent helped but been inconsistent. At best is a terrific medium forward with some very draftable attributes.

3 St Kilda - Nick Hind

Hind is lightning fast and be surprised if still actually. His highlight reel is very good. Can cut through defences and think will go well at Marvel Stadium.

4 Western Bulldogs - Tom Lewis

Inside midfielder who is really strong in the contest and has really clean hands at ground level. In fact he would be one of the best around strength and effectiveness at stoppages. Execution by hand a real highlight. Could go a lot higher but have question mark on his ball use by foot because I just the gap between best and worst a bit to much. I'll probably move him up as he is one of the ones am struggling to place.

5 Adelaide - Noah Answerth

19yo who is a solid midfielder who sometimes reminds me of a taller Greg Williams. Loves using that left hand hand pass. Nice movement and good skill and can mark overhead. Could be a bargain.

6 Essendon - Rylie Morgan

Class. Was a real standout for mine when I watched him this year. Calm, poised, good decision maker and uses the ball well. He probably lacks the standout feature but no knocks on him. Ave 29 touches with Claremont reserves in last 6-7 games with average of circa 8 tackles per game. Does it both ways!!

7 Port Adelaide - Jed Hill

Really like this kid and think he might be one that surprises. Quick, skillful, has a leap and really hunts the footy both ways.

8 North Melbourne - Joel Crocker

Father / Son for north who have seen play a few times. Chance he gets a bid in main draft.

9 Geelong - James Blanck

Recruiters look for standout features in players. This bloke has elite closing speed and intercept ability. Coming from a way back but a club might hit him much earlier

10 Swans - Brayden Ham

19yo who I may have a bit low. Good balance to him as he has terrific running capacity and is quick but is adept at winning his own ball. His contested numbers are good and he has some skills around stoppages with his clean hands and ball use by hand. Smart player.

11 GIANTS - Callum Wilkie

22yo from North Adelaide who is a terrific defender but has played forward as well. Nice height, clean hands at ground, good intercept ability and has really good hands in the contest. Terrific user as well.

12 – Hawthorn - Jono Marsh

He gets another go. Was well and truly good enough at AFL level and is ready to come back. Quick, agile and good intercepter but needs to improve the kicking.

13 Melbourne - Xavier Oneill

I probably have lower than others but I just didn’t see games where he really influenced them. His best is very good and he does have real AFL attributes with his movement, kicking and agility but I am just not sure wins it enough.

14 Richmond - Justin McInerney

Northern Knights kid who have been watching all year. I reckon he is a sleeper because there are a couple of standout attributes with him around his speed and running capacity. He is also a very good ball user. He will take time as only light but he should end up with a great frame once he has filled out. I think he might get a shot. I think he might get used off a HB

15 West Coast - Matt Parker

22 year old who looks to be one of the mature ages that gets looked at this year. Is a third tall forward type with some real speed and agility and just knows how to find the goals. Some of the stuff he does is pretty electrifying and would be a chance to walk into a side pretty early. Be interesting to see who picks him as think will be one of the players that if slots into a good team will fill a role for someone pretty early

16 Carlton - Connor Idun

Big agile defender who has real presence and can be really dour. Reads it well and stays calm.

17 Gold Coast - Hayden McLean

I was a bit surprised last year after the year he had and his All Star game. I think he goes this year because his VFL form was good. He is capable as a key forward and give the ruck a chop out. Good size, good mobility.

18 Western Bulldogs - Stefan Radovanovic

Another who was unlucky to miss the main draft. Can play HB and mid and have really enjoyed watching him because he has a crack. I think there is a bit of speed, composure, skill and toughness about him.

19 Adelaide - Dillon O'reilly

I think he will get a slot. He hasn’t really dominated but when you watch him play its obvious something is there. Be great if had Dad's work rate.

20 Port Adelaide - Marty Hore

Reads the game exceptionally well and has genuine abililty to intercept and take a strong mark. Pretty creative with his ball use. Maybe lacks a yard.

21 Geelong - Mitch Riordan

One that has really slid as the year has gone on. Nice looking player but just doesn’t get enough of it. Certainly uses it well enough when he gets it but it may be because I think he largely relies on being a first receiver. Number of similar players have missed over the years.

22 Swans - Jake Gaspar

Small forward who was terrific contributor for Oakleigh. Reads the game well and gets into great spots.

23 GIANTS - Aaron Nietschke

Prolific ball winner at u18 level in SA. Had an ok Champs but think will get a chance as has a decent game both inside and outside. My understanding is also a decent runner and clubs are looking for those traits more than ever this year. Havent seen a heap of him but skills are good from what I saw at Champs.

24 Hawthorn - Lachlan McDonnell

I have a view this draft pool isn’t rich on foot skills. This kid is an exception. He is one of the more damaging kicks in the pool and was terrific with a couple of his efforts in a high pressure / intensity GF. Looks to have good speed and agility but unsure as to endurance as can go missing at times. He also probably needs to work on his ball winning ability

25 Melbourne - Nick Baker

Running HB type who presents really well. Every time have watched him play he has shown something for mine. Nice size, reads the game well and intercepts and is a great kick off both feet and uses that to attack the game. Defensively was also very good. Used his body well in the contest and was able to out body bigger types pretty well. Lot to like with him.

26 Richmond - Regan Spooner

I was super impressed with him at Champs and in particular the game he had on Blakey. He was undersized and kept him in check all day. Has a good blend of defence and offence and his running power, agility and skills are terrific. Followed it up post champs with some great games at Reserves and League level.

27 West Coast - Louis Miller

Aggressive half back flanker who seems to have a good balance of when to attack but also when to hang back and defend. Good runner with good speed and he distributes it well. I like him.

28 Carlton - Mitch Macguire

NEAFL player who will be a forward pocket at senior level. Chance to walk into that role with Blues Rd 1.

29 Adelaide - Alastair Richards

Bit of an outside player for mine and if he could win some of his own footy then he could be a really good player. Has genuine speed and brings players into the game

30 Port Adelaide - Michael Gibbons

Tough inside midfielder who has earnt the chance to have a crack at senior level. Huge possession winner but do wonder if there are some question marks on couple of elements still. Deserves a shot.

31 Geelong - Brett Bewley

Suspect been close for a while. Quick and has good endurance along with a raking kick that breaks lines. Big possession winner and will transition to AFL easily

32 GIANTS - Xavier Fry

HB who is genuinely quick and clean at ground level. Skill is elite and very creative. I rate his creativity and ability to bust a line.

33 Hawthorn - Ethan Hansen

Inconsistent but at best clean at ground level and a good and quick decision maker. Stays calm in traffic and good either side and will attack through the middle when he can. Weights kicks well to advantage. Teases you!

34 Richmond - Tom Jok

VFL player at Pies with some serious x factor. Circa 190+cm and he is lightning quick with great agility and leap. Can play tall and short and probably suited to a wing. Skill needs some work but loads to work with

35 Richmond - Luke Moore

Beaut decision make and user of the footy. Has some genuine x factor about him. Can lead and mark as well as crumb and become the opportunist. Kicked 7 goals in a game at Colts level.
Great job , but at the rookie draft we have to pick in the Draft Townsend been promised

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

1 - yep agree with that. Went with 40 bc I think thats where they started last year based on my records. Think JGM / KL / AS and MS started as the 4 rookies. Yep wouldnt Goddard be a decent get. Effectively a pick 90+ or something.

You are right with the list composition, we'll almost certainly go with 40/4 again.

Expect that to be filled by 3 ND and 1 DFA, rather than 4 ND.

Have always liked Goddard, looked a good prospect before the achilles injury & think he's worth another go for sure.

Certainly not a lot to lose.

2 - Idun was slotted in bc was thinking you have identified a FB and albeit more likely Hugh wanted to slot a kid in.

Do you see Idun as being capable of holding down FB at AFL level?

Plenty of guys play taller than they are, but at 190cm its a big ask.

3 - I know Tom and he can play but I wouldnt. I reckon he is more suited to a top 8 team requiring some depth. Gives them some more strength around the footy but I think you want to be playing kids. I am a believer in the list build.

Agree with you, I'd rather look elsewhere but it looks like it may happen.

Certainly if we're going to give someone another chance, my clear preference is to stick with what we know and take Lamb, who played some decent football down back in 2018.

Would also be happy to go down a different path completely, which is where Blakey/Fisher/Palmer may be given a chance.

Have you seen much of Blakey? Also keen to hear your thoughts on Fisher and Palmer who have spent time at AFL level and had good years at VFL level in 2018.

You are right with the list composition, we'll almost certainly go with 40/4 again.

Have always liked Goddard, looked a good prospect before the achilles injury & think he's worth another go for sure.

Certainly if we're going to give someone another chance, my clear preference is to stick with what we know and take Lamb, who played some decent football down back in 2018.

Would also be happy to go down a different path completely, which is where Blakey/Fisher/Palmer may be given a chance.

Have you seen much of Blakey? Also keen to hear your thoughts on Fisher and Palmer who have spent time at AFL level and had good years at VFL level in 2018.

Yeah I think he can actually. Plays a lot taller and in that sense sort of like Dunn. Very smart with his body and positioning. Very competitive player. Was also played up forward at times but didnt personally rate him there.

Seen lots of Blakey. I think i wrote in my note could be anything but the body has a long way to go before it's ready for senior action would think. Also a question on where does he play. Looks good up front but not entirely convinced he gets the seperation on his opponent as quickly as a JL does. Talented.....absolutely. Best position.....not sure.

Sorry you also asked about Palmer and Fisher. Fisher not so much but Palmer yes. Just didnt think he was the type you guys would be looking at with mcGovern, Curnow, Casboult and McKay ahead of him.

Brander spent the first part of the season up front and then second part down back. That was stated as the plan. Oscar Allen did more the reverse but was a late start.

Really not sure where he will finally slot in. I would think his early career will be as a defender as AFL level. It may all change with injuries to important kpp. West Coast have invested in kpp and there will be healthy competition and the club has been good at not rushing development.

If I’m guessing - Allen plays forward and Brander back but it’s not in stone.
Have to disagree Asterix. I think Brander seems a more natural forward whilst Oscar looks at home down back. Both seem 10 year players.

I'm hearing from a very close source that GWS are very keen on Connor Idun and are perhaps inclined to take him in the ND and as high as a 3rd rounder.
Fantastic effort snoop. Loved reading it.

ROOKIE DRAFT & Cat B Additions
Apparently we're keen on Blanck and Answerth so good to see they're listed here, Answerth close to our pick.

I'm hearing from a very close source that GWS are very keen on Connor Idun and are perhaps inclined to take him in the ND and as high as a 3rd rounder.

Wow - bit higher that I have but after the hit rate they had last year who am i!

Pleasure!

Apparently we're keen on Blanck and Answerth so good to see they're listed here, Answerth close to our pick.

James Blanck is someone who could be anything. He hasn't had a long development pathway so huge amounts of catch up but gee is he quick and he can certainly read it well. Kicking a bit iffy at times. If get a chance watch game vs Metro. he was dominant early.

Answerth being an Oakleigh boy doesn't surprise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong are pretty keen on Idun too so he could go at 51 before GWS can take him at 52.

Geelong are pretty keen on Idun too so he could go at 51 before GWS can take him at 52.
Yep. He's come along a lot in the last few months.
A few question marks about his partying. And I don't mean drugs or anything. He's just a lad and likes going out with his mates.
Lovely kid though. Really nice young fella.

Love your work.

Young gun mid, speculative young mids with late picks, a small forward and a mature mid. All needs of ours.

Even with BSOS switching back, we may need another key defender as depth unless we send McGovern back against his preference.

Lost Rowe, ASOS, Glass-McCasker and pinch hitting O'Shea so that may be the reason Hugh Goddard is training with us.

Yes will be interesting to see what happens. I dont see another key defender as a need for GWS given they have Davis, Haynes, Taylor, Corr, Keefe, Tomlinson and Finlayson.

Cats I can see it happening for sure.

Love your work.

Young gun mid, speculative young mids with late picks, a small forward and a mature mid. All needs of ours.

Even with BSOS switching back, we may need another key defender as depth unless we send McGovern back against his preference.

Lost Rowe, ASOS, Glass-McCasker and pinch hitting O'Shea so that may be the reason Hugh Goddard is training with us.

Thanks.

Was pretty happy with how the selections rolled out last night. I think of the 22 taken I had 20 of them. Ned and Xavier I had around 26-27 so not far off.

Was surprised Ian Hill drifted. Clearly something has come up in the pysch I would think. Cant see him getting far past WCE and reckon GIANTS will look at as well.

Happy with the Stocker trade up? I rate Stocker so thought was a good move. ALso suspect Carlton will be trading that 2019 pick next year.

Did a bit of an update this morning. What may unfold later. Just used picks off AFL website. I think a couple of clubs have one to many but in interests of time thought would get out ASAP.

23 West Coast - Ian Hill(maybe Curtis or Luke given they have Jarrod coming)
24 GIANTS Matching Bid - Kieran Briggs
25 Adelaide - Curtis Taylor
26 SWANS - Luke Valente
27 Western Bulldogs Matching Bid - Rhylee West
28 Melbourne - Jez McLennan
29 Gold Coast - Luke Foley
30 Collingwood Matching Bid - Will Kelly
31 West Coast Fraser Turner
32 Brisbane Matching Bid - Connor McFayden
33 Melbourne - Sydney Stack
34 Gold Coast - Jacob Kennerly
35 North Matching Bid - Bailey Scott
36 Fremantle - Tom Joyce
37 Western Bulldogs - Bailey Williams
38 Essendon - Jack Bytel
39 Brisbane - Thomas Berry
40 St Kilda - Will Hamill
41 Richmond - Jacob Koschitzke
42 Swans - Tom Sparrow
43 West Coast Matching Bid - Jarrod Cameron
44 Fremantle - Damon Greaves
45 Western Bulldogs - Tom McKenzie
46 St Kilda - Zac Foot
47 Geelong - Marlon Pickett
48 Geelong - Josh Kemp
49 Swans - Kyle Reid
50 GIANTS - Angus Hanrahan
51 Hawthorn - Noah Gown
52 Melbourne - Harry Reynolds
53 Brisbane - James Rowbottom
54 North Melbourne - Darcy Fort
55 Melbourne - Ben Jarvis
56 Melbourne Matching Bid - Ty Bedford
57 Western Bulldogs - Lachlan Sholl
58 Richmond - Riley Grundy
59 Fremantle - Ty Smallwood
60 Essendon - Zac Clarke
61 St Kilda - Jack Ross
62 North - Boyd Woodcock
63 Brisbane Lions - Hayden Sampson
64 North Melbourne - Joel Crocker
65 Richmond - James Jordan
66 Western Bulldogs - Will Hayes
67 Carlton - Riley Bowman
68 Geelong - Matt Parker
69 Collingwood - Durak Tucker
70 Carlton - Luke English
71 GIANTS - Nick Hind
72 West Coast - Will Golds
73 Adelaide - Hugo Munn
74 West Coast - Mitch Podhajski
75 Richmond - Charlie Sprague
76 Carlton - Matthew McGannon
77 Brisbane - Zane Barzen
78 St Kilda - Noah Answerth
79 Gold Coast - Daly Andrews
80 Adelaide - Laitham Vandermeer
81 Essendon - Rylie Morgan
82 Port Adelaide - Xavier Oneill
83 Geelong - Connor Idun
84 Swans - Sam Fletcher
85 GIANTS - Callum Wilkie
86 Hawthorn - Brayden Ham
87 Melbourne - James Blanck
88 Richmond - Joe Ayton-Delaney
89 Essendon - Mitch Grigg
90 Port Adelaide - Mitch Riordan
91 Geelong - Oscar Brownless
92 GIANTS - Tom Lewis
93 Hawthorn - Jye Bolton

Last edited:
Did a bit of an update this morning. What may unfold later. Just used picks off AFL website. I think a couple of clubs have one to many but in interests of time thought would get out ASAP.

23 West Coast - Curtis Taylor
24 GIANTS Matching Bid - Kieran Briggs
25 Adelaide - Ian Hill
26 SWANS - Luke Valente
27 Western Bulldogs Matching Bid - Rhylee West
28 Melbourne - Jez McLennan
29 Gold Coast - Luke Foley
30 Collingwood Matching Bid - Will Kelly
31 West Coast Fraser Turner
32 Brisbane Matching Bid - Connor McFayden
33 Melbourne - Sydney Stack
34 Gold Coast - Jacob Kennerly
35 North Matching Bid - Bailey Scott
36 Fremantle - Tom Joyce
37 Western Bulldogs - Bailey Williams
38 Essendon - Jack Bytel
39 Brisbane - Thomas Berry
40 St Kilda - Will Hamill
41 Richmond - Jacob Koschitzke
42 Swans - Tom Sparrow
43 West Coast Matching Bid - Jarrod Cameron
44 Fremantle - Damon Greaves
45 Western Bulldogs - Tom McKenzie
46 St Kilda - Zac Foot
47 Geelong - Marlon Pickett
48 Geelong - Josh Kemp
49 Swans - Kyle Reid
50 GIANTS - Angus Hanrahan
51 Hawthorn - Noah Gown
52 Melbourne - Harry Reynolds
53 Brisbane - James Rowbottom
54 North Melbourne - Darcy Fort
55 Melbourne - Ben Jarvis
56 Melbourne Matching Bid - Ty Bedford
57 Western Bulldogs - Lachlan Sholl
58 Richmond - Riley Grundy
59 Fremantle - Ty Smallwood
60 Essendon - Zac Clarke
61 St Kilda - Jack Ross
62 North - Boyd Woodcock
63 Brisbane Lions - Hayden Sampson
64 North Melbourne - Joel Crocker
65 Richmond - James Jordan
66 Western Bulldogs - Will Hayes
67 Carlton - Riley Bowman
68 Geelong - Matt Parker
69 Collingwood - Durak Tucker
70 Carlton - Luke English
71 GIANTS - Nick Hind
72 West Coast - Will Golds
73 Adelaide - Hugo Munn
74 West Coast - Mitch Podhajski
75 Richmond - Charlie Sprague
76 Carlton - Matthew McGannon
77 Brisbane - Zane Barzen
78 St Kilda - Noah Answerth
79 Gold Coast - Daly Andrews
80 Adelaide - Laitham Vandermeer
81 Essendon - Rylie Morgan
82 Port Adelaide - Xavier Oneill
83 Geelong - Connor Idun
84 Swans - Sam Fletcher
85 GIANTS - Callum Wilkie
86 Hawthorn - Brayden Ham
87 Melbourne - James Blanck
88 Richmond - Joe Ayton-Delaney
89 Essendon - Mitch Grigg
90 Port Adelaide - Mitch Riordan
91 Geelong - Oscar Brownless
92 GIANTS - Tom Lewis
93 Hawthorn - Jye Bolton
Interesting to see u have Kotchiskie picked up by Richmond my opinion Sparrow but time will tell

Interesting to see u have Kotchiskie picked up by Richmond my opinion Sparrow but time will tell

Really like what Richmond got, Turner is a ripper. Very under rated. Ross I think very good too. Bit like Jack Graham so that was interesting. English v solid.

Love your work.

Got to be happy with Blues work. That Stocker pick is smart. I had him at 12 I think. Blues had him inside 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back