Snoop Dog List Management Analysis inc FA / Draft / Trade

Remove this Banner Ad

We need elite kicks not kids who may improve in 2 years. Imo.
If they pick him then they are comfortable with what he brings, it's more important for a Sam Murray to have the kind of kicking you are looking for, if Naughton shuts down a Riewoldt the way Brown did in 2010 and wins you a flag then I could care less about his kicking

Whilst I don't mind the idea of Naughton as he has some serious runs on the board having played WAFL this season, plus the added bonus of keeping Darcy up forward where he belongs, I'm wondering how he compares as a prospect to say Clavarino or Petty who both seem likely to feature around our second pick and who profile as high upside youngsters. I'm wondering what your thoughts would be on that, Snoop Dog .

Pick 6: Balta (my preferred option) or Coffield (the more likely option)
Pick 38: Clavarino / Petty
Pick 56: Brandon Starcevich (not necessarily an informed suggestion, but have watched a little bit of his footage and some of the write ups have been flattering)
Pick 60: Probably Brown

I’ll vomit if that happens. We literally cleaned out all our s**t kicks from defence 12 months ago. If we spend a top 6 pick on a guy who kicks like Naughton.... ffs...

Naughton, Stephenson and Coffield all 3 have had multiple interviews with pies. Whether that means anything like I said is yet to be seen but the signs of interest are there for all 3.

Stephenson brings a bit of goal kicking winger/hff type but can be an erratic kick too.

Probably for his experience and the fact that he is our only true pressure forward. I don't expect he will play many games in 2018, but I've got no problem with keeping him around. Say what you want about his ability on the field, but there are a few players up forward who would do well to match his intensity.

You can't rely on one player to put pressure on it is a team wide mindset and effort much like 2010, they wouldn't coin it a fwd press if it was just Blair now would they?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they pick him then they are comfortable with what he brings, it's more important for a Sam Murray to have the kind of kicking you are looking for, if Naughton shuts down a Riewoldt the way Brown did in 2010 and wins you a flag then I could care less about his kicking

Aren't they looking at him as more Reid CHB type rather then presti type? Isn't that what his "fans" are arguing so fervently that he reads the play, the ball finds him, good intercept ability etc. But unlike Reid he kicks like Barbera Strizen blows her nose wide of the mark.

Aren't they looking at him as more Reid CHB type rather then presti type? Isn't that what his "fans" are arguing so fervently that he reads the play, the ball finds him, good intercept ability etc. But unlike Reid he kicks like Barbera Strizen blows her nose wide of the mark.
He does it all and no other player in the draft will work harder on his shortcomings than him (and he already loves the club) he and Brander are really no brainers if we are getting Lynch next year and want to build a young premiership spine instead of the old man young man jerry built joke we have now

McClarty
Naughton/Brander
Grundy
Moore
Lynch

Whilst I don't mind the idea of Naughton as he has some serious runs on the board having played WAFL this season, plus the added bonus of keeping Darcy up forward where he belongs, I'm wondering how he compares as a prospect to say Clavarino or Petty who both seem likely to feature around our second pick and who profile as high upside youngsters. I'm wondering what your thoughts would be on that, Snoop Dog .

Pick 6: Balta (my preferred option) or Coffield (the more likely option)
Pick 38: Clavarino / Petty
Pick 56: Brandon Starcevich (not necessarily an informed suggestion, but have watched a little bit of his footage and some of the write ups have been flattering)
Pick 60: Probably Brown

#6 - Nick Coffield / Jaiyden Stephenson / Aaron Naughton (in that order)

Yeah I probably think Balta is a reach but I was watching some of his games again the other night and he certainly does some impressive stuff he just doesn't do it consistently but if the development guys think they can produce that with him so be it. Personally i would go Coffield or Stephenson and maybe Bonar as an outsider.

Coffield has that explosive pace and lateral movement to cut back into the middle and use his elite ball skills. Stephenson is just x factor all over. Anyone doubt him go back and watch the first qtr vs SA at Etihad. It was unreal and his kicking wasnt perfectly fine. Either of those two for me.

If you want to go big though go Naughton. Is he that much better than Petty and Clavarino....yes he is. He is a better interceptor and closes space a bit better than the other two. Clavarino is fine but he can some poor decisions and I dont think his kicking is as good. Petty probably my preferred if you went at that #38 selection. No weaknesses in his game but he just doesn't have the sort of stand out attributes Naughton has.

#38 - Sam Taylor / Harrison Petty / Toby Wooller

The one I think everyone misses is Sam Taylor. If you put stock in Naughton WAFL form go back and have a look at Taylor. He is probably my preferred of the three tall defenders you could potentially land at #38 albeit he and Petty would be pretty close. I just think Sam's upside is significant. He developed really well through the year and his progression been really good.

If you had gone Naughton early I would aim up at Wooller.

#56 - Brandon Starcevich / Jordan Johnston / Ben Paton / Nathan Krueger

I doubt Brandon would be here but if he was I'd have no reservation picking him. Equally some blokes like Jordan Johnston would appeal to me. Johnston is a real tempo player and I'd be keen to get my hands on him. Equally if you had gone Coffield or Stephenson and and then a Taylor or Petty I would probably look at Krueger as well. He is a really athletic tall forward from SA who is a bit speculative but his best is very good and he reminds me a bit of Schoenmakers at the same age but more athletic. I think he understands his forward craft pretty well but just needs to get more consistent. Paton will probably be gone but given Ramsay and Sinclair have both gone and only Murray back its a chance we could take another.

# 60 - Taylor Brown / Hayden McLean / Kieran Strachan / Dom Barry / Flynn Appleby / Brett Bewley

I doubt we will have another live selection unless by some hand of god Blair is cut because someone falls through the draft we want. I have just dropped a few names to think about that interest me late.

Naughton, Stephenson and Coffield all 3 have had multiple interviews with pies. Whether that means anything like I said is yet to be seen but the signs of interest are there for all 3.

Stephenson brings a bit of goal kicking winger/hff type but can be an erratic kick too.

To have had 3 interviews is probably at the higher end to be honest. Would also depend how many interviews they have done around them (teachers, extended family, work colleagues / other stakeholders in their lives) I know of instances where clubs have done something like 20+ meetings on one player. FWIW, they didn't even end up taking the kid. There wasnt a knock on him just some they preferred more. So I'd suggest a good sign. At that pointy end of the draft I suspect Pies are meeting more than those three given a reasonable chance two of those three won't be there.

Re Stephenson I dont buy into that argument around his kicking. I have seen him a lot this year and his TAC finals, All Star game and the SA game were all high end / pressure games and his ball skills in all of them was very good. Having said that he can pull the trigger and aim up for to much at times and then it doesn't look great but I'd rather see a kid do that because at AFL level they can be altered through development. Thats just my view, forgive me he is a bit of a favourite of mine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back