Snoop Dog List Management Analysis inc FA / Draft / Trade

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon they go Naughton Paton Farrell Brown based on scuttlebutt

Be happy with that as well.

For mine you go a mid first and then hope one of Petty, Taylor etc are there at the next selection as really don't think much seperates them from Naughton but you couldn't complain getting a kid like Naughton.

For mine you go a mid first and then hope one of Petty, Taylor etc are there at the next selection as really don't think much seperates them from Naughton but you couldn't complain getting a kid like Naughton.
What percentage chance would you give that one of Taylor or Petty falls to 38?

I think Hine may also like kids who are bottom age who are also performing well against men.
From what I have been told he places a lot of weight on it

What percentage chance would you give that one of Taylor or Petty falls to 38?

Reasonably confident based on what I think clubs do ahead of us. What Richmond, Suns, North and Geelong do particularly. If North got Fogarty early that helps, if Richmond go mids and not talls (which I don't expect they will) and then Geelong I think could well be in the market for a key defender.

Snoop Dog what is your take on Naughton saying Collingwood is his Club of Choice for the Draft?

Love it and I think it screams he is very keen to get there. Could interpret it as he has been told they will take him if he is there but I would be surprised if thats the case. Be a bit odd that he would make that comment without being pretty confident. Of course that assumes his comments were stated correctly and the editor didn't ramp it up.

mate what do you want to see them do?

Snoop Dog have you done power rankings? I’m curious about a few of the higher end prospects and one in particular, LDU.

What separates him from the rest in your opinion? I won’t pretend to have an informed take on this group at all, but from the “involvement” vids I’ve seen the standout players in this draft are Dow, Brayshaw and Cerra because they cover it all in those clips. Clean hands, good in space, comfortable in traffic, ball hunting instincts, poise and game awareness. Rayner is the other sure thing for me, but he looks a bit separate to the other three. The reason I say “involvement” is that some of the vids floating around are shots of each time they were involved in the contest and LDU just doesn’t pop like the others. Along with Naughton I’m just left with this seed of doubt. Naughton for his kicking and LDU didn’t wow me so to speak.

Does he put the work in away from the contest that others don’t to put him the positions to be prolific? Is he the consummate professional? It’s hard to put my finger on it, particularly because I have a limited viewing, but he screams Mastern/ Myers/ Caddy to me. A solid 150+ game player, but I’d be a touch concerned if I were investing a top 3 pick in him.

Tell me more about Sam Taylor too if you can? He was number 2 behind Naughton as a KPD or vice versa? Kind of like the Astbury/ Rance combo. If he doesn’t land between 6 and 38 can he be the main man? At his size I’d say yes, but my understanding is he’s more raw than Naughton despite being older.

Hi Snoop.

I was thinking the other day how it seems that those fortunate to be in the private school system seem to have an advantage over those prospects who are not.

I haven't been in school for a long time now but I assume government schools still don't have the money or ability to have the same focus on inter school sporting competitions like the private sector?

It seems if it's not media talking up or putting weight on performances at private school level the feeling is those who come from a more privileged background are seen as a more sure bet by club recruiters.

It would be interesting to know the ratio of players taken from a private school background in the draft in comparison to the ratio who attend them in the wider public.

Do you think their is a bias?

Do these private schools regularly provide full scholarships for talented footballers whose parents couldn't otherwise afford to send them there?

Hearing someone talk who was in that environment 20 odd years ago it's amazing how as a talented footballer he would receive favourable treatment by the school faculty to the point of cheating when it came to his study and the sense of entitlement it bred in him because of it didn't serve him well in later life.

Hi Snoop.

I was thinking the other day how it seems that those fortunate to be in the private school system seem to have an advantage over those prospects who are not.

I haven't been in school for a long time now but I assume government schools still don't have the money or ability to have the same focus on inter school sporting competitions like the private sector?

It seems if it's not media talking up or putting weight on performances at private school level the feeling is those who come from a more privileged background are seen as a more sure bet by club recruiters.

It would be interesting to know the ratio of players taken from a private school background in the draft in comparison to the ratio who attend them in the wider public.

Do these private schools regularly provide full scholarships for talented footballers whose parents couldn't otherwise afford to send them there?

Hearing someone talk who was in that environment 20 odd years ago it's amazing how as a talented footballer he would receive favourable treatment by the school faculty to the point of cheating when it came to his study and the sense of entitlement it bred in him because of it didn't serve him well in later life.
I suspect private school students might have advantages in being drafted, especially as some of them would be giving scholarships to the best players to improve their school team. Watching this makes me think they would possibly be at a disadvantage to actually succeed. (Link not directly related but if you watch the connection should be obvious.)

I think this has a lot to do with it. These talented kids can't all come from priviliged backgrounds.

Love it and I think it screams he is very keen to get there. Could interpret it as he has been told they will take him if he is there but I would be surprised if thats the case. Be a bit odd that he would make that comment without being pretty confident. Of course that assumes his comments were stated correctly and the editor didn't ramp it up.

mate what do you want to see them do?

Read that is was Clickbait by the Jurno and Naughton said nothing like that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Snoop Dog have you done power rankings? I’m curious about a few of the higher end prospects and one in particular, LDU.

What separates him from the rest in your opinion? I won’t pretend to have an informed take on this group at all, but from the “involvement” vids I’ve seen the standout players in this draft are Dow, Brayshaw and Cerra because they cover it all in those clips. Clean hands, good in space, comfortable in traffic, ball hunting instincts, poise and game awareness. Rayner is the other sure thing for me, but he looks a bit separate to the other three. The reason I say “involvement” is that some of the vids floating around are shots of each time they were involved in the contest and LDU just doesn’t pop like the others. Along with Naughton I’m just left with this seed of doubt. Naughton for his kicking and LDU didn’t wow me so to speak.

Does he put the work in away from the contest that others don’t to put him the positions to be prolific? Is he the consummate professional? It’s hard to put my finger on it, particularly because I have a limited viewing, but he screams Mastern/ Myers/ Caddy to me. A solid 150+ game player, but I’d be a touch concerned if I were investing a top 3 pick in him.

Tell me more about Sam Taylor too if you can? He was number 2 behind Naughton as a KPD or vice versa? Kind of like the Astbury/ Rance combo. If he doesn’t land between 6 and 38 can he be the main man? At his size I’d say yes, but my understanding is he’s more raw than Naughton despite being older.

LDU is a an interesting one because by his own admission he didnt have a super year. I reckon that was a bit unfair but certainly there were times when he was just going. Having said that, the game vs Eastern was unbelievable. They were gone. I reckon it was circa 40-50 pts down from memory and it was all over until he just literally picked his team up and one if for them. No other player is this draft did that. Equally I think it was his Champ game at Punt Rd vs Metro where he did some things that screamed 'Im the Man'. For mine his best is as dominant and explosive as anyones. Rayner on talent is the best but when you run an 8 min 2km that isnt good. it speaks to his fitness obviously but also his 'want'. Benchmark that against say a Brayshaw who run close to 6 and you can understand why the Lions would think about taking him or an LDU.

But truly I can understand why they are struggling with pick 1. I cant decide. I am a massive fan on Brayshaw and was probably one of very few that saw him coming at the start of the year. Reckon some people have thought it was his 2nd half of the year but he had a ripping start and if you watch those champ games and watch him closely you see how smart a footballer he is.

Re Sam Taylor he was probably the # 1 key defender for WA coming into the year and probably at champs as well. Sam was probably seen as more lock down and Aaron more intercept. Both arent ideal kicks but both had terrific champs and went onto senior footy post that and performed really well. Sam took out Keitel late in the year and he was probably the best forward going around at senior WAFL this year. I think in the last game he had 20+ touches as well so showed he can get some ball as well. Aaron could be anythng. He has improved a lot and whilst his kicking isnt great he gets it done.

These are my power rankings;

1 Cameron Rayner
2 Luke Davies-Uniacke
3 Adam Cerra
4 Paddy Dow
5 Andrew Brayshaw
6 Jaiyden Stephenson
7 Darcy Fogarty
8 Nick Coffield
9 Aidan Bonar
10 Jack Higgins
11 Hunter Clark
12 Aaron Naughton
13 Oscar Allen
14 Nathan Murphy
15 Charlie COnstable

Hi Snoop.

I have a view that the Private School boys do have an advantage. They do get better coaching / facilities than the public school kids but having said that am not sure that fully translates to drafting and then ultimately success.

Interestingly in baseball in the US its proven to be that public school kids are ultimately better players.

LDU is a an interesting one because by his own admission he didnt have a super year. I reckon that was a bit unfair but certainly there were times when he was just going. Having said that, the game vs Eastern was unbelievable. They were gone. I reckon it was circa 40-50 pts down from memory and it was all over until he just literally picked his team up and one if for them. No other player is this draft did that. Equally I think it was his Champ game at Punt Rd vs Metro where he did some things that screamed 'Im the Man'. For mine his best is as dominant and explosive as anyones. Rayner on talent is the best but when you run an 8 min 2km that isnt good. it speaks to his fitness obviously but also his 'want'. Benchmark that against say a Brayshaw who run close to 6 and you can understand why the Lions would think about taking him or an LDU.

But truly I can understand why they are struggling with pick 1. I cant decide. I am a massive fan on Brayshaw and was probably one of very few that saw him coming at the start of the year. Reckon some people have thought it was his 2nd half of the year but he had a ripping start and if you watch those champ games and watch him closely you see how smart a footballer he is.

Re Sam Taylor he was probably the # 1 key defender for WA coming into the year and probably at champs as well. Sam was probably seen as more lock down and Aaron more intercept. Both arent ideal kicks but both had terrific champs and went onto senior footy post that and performed really well. Sam took out Keitel late in the year and he was probably the best forward going around at senior WAFL this year. I think in the last game he had 20+ touches as well so showed he can get some ball as well. Aaron could be anythng. He has improved a lot and whilst his kicking isnt great he gets it done.

1 Cameron Rayner
2 Luke Davies-Uniacke
3 Adam Cerra
4 Paddy Dow
5 Andrew Brayshaw
6 Jaiyden Stephenson
7 Darcy Fogarty
8 Nick Coffield
9 Aidan Bonar
10 Jack Higgins
11 Hunter Clark
12 Aaron Naughton
13 Oscar Allen
14 Nathan Murphy
15 Charlie COnstable

Cheers mate. I did assume there was something there with LDU you’d never get from video access casual observers like me had. The feeling I got was that he was rated a top 5 pick for this draft at this point last year, he didn’t slip and no one really shot past him ala Petracca and McGrath’s jumps.

That’s intriguing re Taylor and Naughton. It to me hints at Naughton being a good pairing with McLarty, but if he’s being drafted as the main man I’d feel less comfortable. Only a feeling on that front mainly because I remain wary of his foot skills too. How’s his closing speed?

Constable at 15? His 2km TT result hasn’t impacted your POV on him? IMO, it’d be a hard sell to a fan base that as a club they brought in a slow* inside mid that has no endurance with a first rounder.

*from what I’ve read only.

Cheers mate. I did assume there was something there with LDU you’d never get from video access casual observers like me had. The feeling I got was that he was rated a top 5 pick for this draft at this point last year, he didn’t slip and no one really shot past him ala Petracca and McGrath’s jumps.

That’s intriguing re Taylor and Naughton. It to me hints at Naughton being a good pairing with McLarty, but if he’s being drafted as the main man I’d feel less comfortable. Only a feeling on that front mainly because I remain wary of his foot skills too. How’s his closing speed?

Constable at 15? His 2km TT result hasn’t impacted your POV on him? IMO, it’d be a hard sell to a fan base that as a club they brought in a slow* inside mid that has no endurance with a first rounder.

*from what I’ve read only.

Then you wouldnt have Rayner as pick 1 either. There have been a lot of slow inside mids who tested poorly over years who went to play some very good footy. Luke Hodge be one. As for slow our Capt didnt test great for speed either. Constable is really smart for mine and he gets himself into good positions and never wastes it. Could be like Luke Parker but a lot of clubs had egg on face after letting him fall so far. Good footballers are good footballers for mine.

Re Naughton - yeah good point. If they are looking for something dissimilar to McLarty then Naughton. If we get Naughton then playing Sam as a back all year and then Moore this year seems like overkill doesnt it? particulary with Matt / Jeremy and Tom back there as well.

Then you wouldnt have Rayner as pick 1 either. There have been a lot of slow inside mids who tested poorly over years who went to play some very good footy. Luke Hodge be one. As for slow our Capt didnt test great for speed either. Constable is really smart for mine and he gets himself into good positions and never wastes it. Could be like Luke Parker but a lot of clubs had egg on face after letting him fall so far. Good footballers are good footballers for mine.

Re Naughton - yeah good point. If they are looking for something dissimilar to McLarty then Naughton. If we get Naughton then playing Sam as a back all year and then Moore this year seems like overkill doesnt it? particulary with Matt / Jeremy and Tom back there as well.

I wouldn’t no. Rayner sits behind Dow, Cerra and Brayshaw in that order based on the limited viewing I’ve had. If it weren’t for him having extreme talent v the rest of the draft pool he’d struggle, IMO. I just can’t ignore the talent. It’s also not so much the speed that concerns me, but rather when it’s complimented by no tank. With that mix of athletic traits I think you need positional flexibility or obscene talent to be first round relevant. Who knows though he could be the next Matt Crouch so I don’t want to go hard only that his fitness is nowhere near it currently.

Yes, it would seem like overkill to me. If I were looking at this draft as a means to fix the holes in our list I would lean toward Fogarty at 6 and then Butts at 38 primarily because both can play at either end. From your comments on Taylor he seems a solid selection, but not one that compliments our list, IMO. Our hunt for Lynch could well dictate what we do on Friday too. I should probably add that I’m open to Moore down back on the proviso that a KPF is found within 12 months and he flicks the switch to accumulation from stopping.

Ok my mail today is that I think the following will happen;
1 - Rayner
2 - LDU
3 - Dow
4 - Brayshaw
5 - onwards not sure but Freo likely take Cerra

Also seems likely that Fogarty and Stephenson will slide. I know 2 clubs have put a line through Stephenson. The knock on Fogarty is what role will he play. Not a great runner so midfield is out.

Chance LDU slides as there is a feeling that whilst best is v good the difference between best and worst is reasonable. If he doesn't get #2 then he could be at #4 or 5.

Liam Ryan very unlikely to not get taken by WCE. Clubs aren't 100% sure on his ability / want to stay interstate.

Lach Fogarty may go pick 11, more likely if Bonar gone.

Ok my mail today is that I think the following will happen;
1 - Rayner
2 - LDU
3 - Dow
4 - Brayshaw
5 - onwards not sure but Freo likely take Cerra

Also seems likely that Fogarty and Stephenson will slide. I know 2 clubs have put a line through Stephenson. The knock on Fogarty is what role will he play. Not a great runner so midfield is out.

Chance LDU slides as there is a feeling that whilst best is v good the difference between best and worst is reasonable. If he doesn't get #2 then he could be at #4 or 5.

Liam Ryan very unlikely to not get taken by WCE. Clubs aren't 100% sure on his ability / want to stay interstate.

Lach Fogarty may go pick 11, more likely if Bonar gone.
Am I allowed to ask what clubs have put a line through Stephenson? (If not, maybe an indication of whether they are clubs with top 10 pick or not? ie if Richmond, Sydney, Suns put a line through him it doesn't mean much as he's not expected to last that long, even though it would suggest if he does that it could be worth the risk)

1 Cameron Rayner
2 Luke Davies-Uniacke
3 Adam Cerra
4 Paddy Dow
5 Andrew Brayshaw
6 Jaiyden Stephenson
7 Darcy Fogarty
8 Nick Coffield
9 Aidan Bonar
10 Jack Higgins
11 Hunter Clark
12 Aaron Naughton
13 Oscar Allen
14 Nathan Murphy
15 Charlie COnstable

Well done Snoop Dog.

A bloke at work who watches the grammar schools thought Constable was the pick of the bunch from his (limited) viewing.

While I really wanted Bonar I'm quite happy from the reports of picking up Stephenson & Murphy.

Seems pace was our theme this offseason with Murray and Stephenson, and is murphy quick? I wonder if that’s related to our slow transition out of defence and we wanted some line breakers/risk takers?
Are you happy with our draft snoop?
Do you see Stephenson playing straight away? I feel him and WHE would do well off opposite flanks/wings

I guess I've been pretty vocal since the draft about our Key Position stocks being pretty limited and a number of others have brought up Lynch coming across as being an instant cure for this.

I'm wondering what your thoughts are on this Snoop Dog , because whilst I thinking getting Lynch on FA would be a great result, the prospect of trading potentially two first rounders for him seems really short sighted for a team that looks unlikely to contend in the next couple of years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back