Snoops 2016 List Management, Trade and Draft thoughts

Remove this Banner Ad

if a team than get him on the park, he is best 22 no doubt

Its the big issue with this kid. The other one is that he is very similar to Darcy. Clubs worked out Sam a while ago. Take his run to the ball drop away and he is largely ineffectual. Clubs will take same approach with Darcy. Think Darcy has more tools but its a tactic clubs will try next year.

Its the big issue with this kid. The other one is that he is very similar to Darcy. Clubs worked out Sam a while ago. Take his run to the ball drop away and he is largely ineffectual. Clubs will take same approach with Darcy. Think Darcy has more tools but its a tactic clubs will try next year.
yes agree in a way, but two athletic forwards who can be dangerous in the air and on the ground would make that possibility
l would have thought a lot harder to do, even more so if we can get faz and billy on the park as well.
sam can if need be play back as well. the big if as l see it is not just getting him on the park but keeping there.
but if a club can he would be more than just handy

yes agree in a way, but two athletic forwards who can be dangerous in the air and on the ground would make that possibility
l would have thought a lot harder to do, even more so if we can get faz and billy on the park as well.
sam can if need be play back as well. the big if as l see it is not just getting him on the park but keeping there.
but if a club can he would be more than just handy

No issues if he did come and he wouldnt cost a great deal. Probably a 4th rounder. As long as he got to a lot of contests and got the ball to ground I'd be ok.

Snoop Dog where does Bailey Morrish sit in your view? He seems to be completely off Broadway on here and he has a combine invite which intrigues me.

With that left leg and his ability overhead he could be a real weapon if he can move into a midfield role. I assume the knock is competitiveness and work rate?

Snoop Dog where does Bailey Morrish sit in your view? He seems to be completely off Broadway on here and he has a combine invite which intrigues me.

With that left leg and his ability overhead he could be a real weapon if he can move into a midfield role. I assume the knock is competitiveness and work rate?

In the 40 - Rookie range for me. Very even that part of the draft. He works pretty hard in games I have seen and he marks and certainly uses it well. I think its just lack of a standout feature and the fact quite a few his type ahead of him. He has come up pretty well and i reckon a club would look at him and say there is a lot of upside but just so hard to measure against some others.

Hey Snoop Dog what is your opinion and the overall consensus on this draft in terms of depth and level of the top talent compared to previous years?

I haven't followed it very closely given we were never having a first rounder this year but after reading the profiles, stats and watching the all stars game I'm a little underwhelmed compared to 2013 and 2014. Might have a skewed view so would love to hear your thoughts.

Hey Snoop Dog what is your opinion and the overall consensus on this draft in terms of depth and level of the top talent compared to previous years?

I haven't followed it very closely given we were never having a first rounder this year but after reading the profiles, stats and watching the all stars game I'm a little underwhelmed compared to 2013 and 2014. Might have a skewed view so would love to hear your thoughts.

I have been of the view its very even but am now of the view the top 5-6 are clearly a cut above, those being McGrath, Bowes, Hugh M, Tim English, Tim Taranto and Ben Ainsworth. I think they are very good and compare well to previous years.

After that I think its pretty even through to about 20 and then another tier which is pretty close and goes to about 50 or so. The depth in that 3rd tier is rare. Dont usually see it that deep and a great example is Josh Daicos. That All Stars game was a good one for him. Didn't dominate but he did things in that game where clubs would have seen his talent. I dont think he pushes into the top 20 but I could envisage a bid not long after it. Also take Callum Brown. I have him higher than others but he plays the style of inside footy that was on display for the premiers. He can win inside, he can go all day and he can go forward. Not overly efficient with the ball but nor is Liberatore. Sam Powell-Pepper bit the same.

After that I think there are potentially a lot of gems. Jack Maibum is a classic. He played really well on Friday and has been good all year. Morrish, McCarthy, Hinge, Kirby some others.

Hi Snoop Dog heard anything regarding what we will be getting for Cloke..........a lot of hysteria here at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi Snoop Dog heard anything regarding what we will be getting for Cloke..........a lot of hysteria here at the moment.

I havent actually. Only whats been reported and that is Collingwood are just happy to have his money back in the cap so they can spend on others. Trying to not get frustrated by it because to me it is a simple Mayne for Cloke deal and I think I'd rather have Cloke next year on $450k and then figure out what to do with him than Mayne for 4 on roughly same coin.

Taking into consideration some of the rumours and speculation here's my take Snoop.

It's a no brainer that we need speed, experience, insurance and height. The question is how much of this can we get in this years trade/draft and who will it be?

I'm starting to think (like most now) that both Wells and Mayne are a lock. Risky yes, but nothing ventured, nothing gained right?

Wells will potentially give us speed, polish and experience in the midfield which I'm sure Pendles will appreciate. To an extent he will also covers the loss of Swanny.

Mayne, as much as I don't like the idea of a 4 year deal, is something I'm beginning to warm too. He gives us experience (which will be great support for Darcy) and is a proven goal kicker. Sure his figures have dropped, but the change might resurrect his career to a degree.

Rationale
The thing is we could front end the **** out of Wells and Maynes contracts too. Why? Because i think this will free up room in cap to land a big fish next year. I wouldn't be surprised if we throw the cheque book at someone like 2MP if he has a good year at the Suns or another key forward/ruck in 2017. A KPF to assist Darcy is our missing link and theres a few good reasons for it (which i wont go into now).

WHE sounds like its all but a done deal (Ed, FFS.. keep your mouth shut.. pleeease). Think the re-signing of Stevie J would have pee'd WHE off a bit, plus his connection through his grandfather - who played in a CFC premiership back in the day. He'll have far more opportunities down here and a player like this also gives us more speed and would also double as insurance for Jamie Elliot if his back doesn't come up.

Regardless if Frost goes to Lions or not, I'd still like us to make a play for Jeremy Finlayson. Why? Well, he is a 194cm lad who is finally coming of age and starting to play decent footy. Doesn't mind the rough stuff..agile and could make a good utility. Played as a KPF in younger days but has since made a name at GWS as a defender. They guy has loads of potential, would come pretty cheap I'd imagine, and would more than compensate for Frost.

Trades/FAs
Ins: Wells, Mayne, WHE, Finlayson
Maric (insurance for Grundy as Witts will go)
Outs: Cloke, Witts, Marls, Frost and possibly another?

Draft
Daicos or Brown - As romantic as it may sound, I just can't see us taking both.

Also another one to watch out for that I like.. is Jordan Ridley (tall and agile utility). Hoping he may slide enough for us to grab him and continue our Oakleigh Chargers connection.

Taking into consideration some of the rumours and speculation here's my take Snoop.

It's a no brainer that we need speed, experience, insurance and height. The question is how much of this can we get in this years trade/draft and who will it be?

I'm starting to think (like most now) that both Wells and Mayne are a lock. Risky yes, but nothing ventured, nothing gained right?

Wells will potentially give us speed, polish and experience in the midfield which I'm sure Pendles will appreciate. To an extent he will also covers the loss of Swanny.

Mayne, as much as I don't like the idea of a 4 year deal, is something I'm beginning to warm too. He gives us experience (which will be great support for Darcy) and is a proven goal kicker. Sure his figures have dropped, but the change might resurrect his career to a degree.

Rationale
The thing is we could front end the **** out of Wells and Maynes contracts too. Why? Because i think this will free up room in cap to land a big fish next year. I wouldn't be surprised if we throw the cheque book at someone like 2MP if he has a good year at the Suns or another key forward/ruck in 2017. A KPF to assist Darcy is our missing link and theres a few good reasons for it (which i wont go into now).

WHE sounds like its all but a done deal (Ed, FFS.. keep your mouth shut.. pleeease). Think the re-signing of Stevie J would have pee'd WHE off a bit, plus his connection through his grandfather - who played in a CFC premiership back in the day. He'll have far more opportunities down here and a player like this also gives us more speed and would also double as insurance for Jamie Elliot if his back doesn't come up.

Regardless if Frost goes to Lions or not, I'd still like us to make a play for Jeremy Finlayson. Why? Well, he is a 194cm lad who is finally coming of age and starting to play decent footy. Doesn't mind the rough stuff..agile and could make a good utility. Played as a KPF in younger days but has since made a name at GWS as a defender. They guy has loads of potential, would come pretty cheap I'd imagine, and would more than compensate for Frost.

Trades/FAs
Ins: Wells, Mayne, WHE, Finlayson
Maric (insurance for Grundy as Witts will go)
Outs: Cloke, Witts, Marls, Frost and possibly another?

Draft
Daicos or Brown - As romantic as it may sound, I just can't see us taking both.

Also another one to watch out for that I like.. is Jordan Ridley (tall and agile utility). Hoping he may slide enough for us to grab him and continue our Oakleigh Chargers connection.

Agree with all of it.

Wells just adds a bit of speed and elite ball use into the forward 50.

WHE is a player I really like. He has speed and skill and I dont think we will end up paying what he is probably worth. His talents are suited to the G as well and does work hard both ways.

Mayne I agree. I would rather us go for someone younger like Stewart who is cheaper and has more upside.

Finlayson - Terrific player but not convinced he is a key back. He has played that role but through the NEAFL finals he was actually used more as a tall wing type who roamed a lot more. He is a bit more like Ben Reid in some ways. I think he could play key back but he isnt limited to that.

The only thing that is frustrating me a bit is the Cloke deal. I think that really should be a bit more our way. The Brian Lake deal is a good proxy. I know we want the $ freed up but I genuinely think a bit more could come our way. I just wonder if there isnt something going on behind the scene etc.

Re Ridley he is a cracker. I think in my OP I mentioned him. Every chance of an Easton Wood type.

The only thing that is frustrating me a bit is the Cloke deal. I think that really should be a bit more our way. The Brian Lake deal is a good proxy. I know we want the $ freed up but I genuinely think a bit more could come our way. I just wonder if there isnt something going on behind the scene etc.

Re Ridley he is a cracker. I think in my OP I mentioned him. Every chance of an Easton Wood type.

Well 71 pick is a slap in the face for the club and totally disrespectful to Cloke. Maybe just a case of brinkmanship?

So currently the Dogs picks in question here are 36, 59, 71. I think he's truly worth somewhere around a late 2nd/early 3rd rd pick at this stage... Is it possible that CFC will ask for 36 and Dogs will come back with 71, but maybe they'll finally agree on 59? But yeah, something smells with this one.

Question for you Snoop (or anyone). If Cloke and CFC agreed to terminate his contract mutually, and seen as he has been at CFC around 10 years, wouldn't that make him eligible as an Unrestricted Free Agent?

News this arvo has Frosty going to Lions for 3 years, whats he worth? Lions currently hold 28, 47, 56, 74... 47 or 56 perhaps? Please don't tell me a straight swap for Josh Green. I'll vomit... Naaa seriously to me it would be a straight out list clog! So if you do, I will need a super explanation. ;)

Snoop, how much footy has Battle played in the last few years?

Am I correct in saying he's come back to footy from Cricket just this year? If so, Hine will be all over him as someone who's done a lot of recent development with possibly a lot more to come. He likes his high ceiling types. But I would think a lot of other recruiters would be all over that too these days.

Any other guys in that 15-30 range who are super raw or recently returned to footy?

Well 71 pick is a slap in the face for the club and totally disrespectful to Cloke. Maybe just a case of brinkmanship?

So currently the Dogs picks in question here are 36, 59, 71. I think he's truly worth somewhere around a late 2nd/early 3rd rd pick at this stage... Is it possible that CFC will ask for 36 and Dogs will come back with 71, but maybe they'll finally agree on 59? But yeah, something smells with this one.

Question for you Snoop (or anyone). If Cloke and CFC agreed to terminate his contract mutually, and seen as he has been at CFC around 10 years, wouldn't that make him eligible as an Unrestricted Free Agent?

News this arvo has Frosty going to Lions for 3 years, whats he worth? Lions currently hold 28, 47, 56, 74... 47 or 56 perhaps? Please don't tell me a straight swap for Josh Green. I'll vomit... Naaa seriously to me it would be a straight out list clog! So if you do, I will need a super explanation. ;)

Yeah that was my read. If you terminate your contract you automatically qualify as a FA and therefore the compo pick comes i have this feeling that you qualify at the start of the year (ie so clubs / players cant tear up contracts to achieve that immediate qualification but again not 100% certain).

Frost I think is worth a pick around the 40 mark. A 3 year contract is a fair commitment so that will come into the discussion. Not often a player given a 3 year contract and a pick 55 handed back. Clearly the Lions want him and whilst appears we didnt table an offer not unusual that clubs hold off whilst trade period is open. I would think something around 40 would get it done and it will probably involve a swapping of picks. Also depends what picks the Lions get in as Hanley looks off and not convinced Rockliff will stay.

I cant see us going after Josh Green. Blair is staying and WHE and Broomhead are also in the mix for that role so think they will go to draft for a small forward. The player I would be asking about is Michael Close.

Snoop, how much footy has Battle played in the last few years?

Am I correct in saying he's come back to footy from Cricket just this year? If so, Hine will be all over him as someone who's done a lot of recent development with possibly a lot more to come. He likes his high ceiling types. But I would think a lot of other recruiters would be all over that too these days.

Any other guys in that 15-30 range who are super raw or recently returned to footy?

Nah he is the only one I can think of in that mix. McCarthy would be one but he would be later.

Battle is one I have been a bit 6's nd 7's on mainly bc of his height. The recruitment of Mayne though suggests the club quite likes that player type and if so then Battle comes right into the frame. He is a terrific runner and a sensational kick. He can drift in and out but equally he hasnt played that much footy so clubs will convince themselves that will come with his work rate. I have had a bit of mail Collingwood like him but its 2nd hand.

Nah he is the only one I can think of in that mix. McCarthy would be one but he would be later.

Battle is one I have been a bit 6's nd 7's on mainly bc of his height. The recruitment of Mayne though suggests the club quite likes that player type and if so then Battle comes right into the frame. He is a terrific runner and a sensational kick. He can drift in and out but equally he hasnt played that much footy so clubs will convince themselves that will come with his work rate. I have had a bit of mail Collingwood like him but its 2nd hand.
Thanks Snoop, I just like that he can kick and get around a bit. If he's second fiddle to Moore I think he's fine in our side. Would make the most of his opportunities in front of the sticks. That sort of size has done no harm to guys like Gunston and Dickson from Dogs who is even smaller but plays tallish I feel.

We don't need to find a saviour for our forward line woes, Moore checks all the boxes. Is 200+, high footy IQ, runs like the wind, can fly, vice like hands and can kick straight. Another would be nice but for much cheaper we can get a guy who drags defenders out of the space in front of Darcy and gets the cheapies out the back thanks to his work rate. I like this option the most but there's just too much water to go under the bridge before I start getting my hopes up.

Also, can someone tell me about McCarthy? I tried searching but on my phone is hard to do, just getting a lot of Cam McCarthy posts. Doesn't seem to be mentioned in any phantoms that I searched either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back