Snoops 2016 List Management, Trade and Draft thoughts

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 25, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gippy Power
Here is this year’s installment. Have been asked by a number of people if doing one this year and to be fair its been a work in progress for a while as I wanted to get the best read on the squad as have been 50:50 on my views on a number of players for a long time. In the end, I really wanted to wait until the last game before finalising.

Will keep it as short as possibly as don’t think people will want to read a complete ‘war and peace’ but please provide comment as I really enjoy the discussion off the back of it….as long as its constructive!

A LOT AT STAKE IN 2017

It’s a big year for CFC next year and Buckley has heaped the pressure on himself. As a result, Eddie will feel it to. To that end, they will pull out all stops to ensure they have all the ingredients they need in order to push into the Finals. One thing is for certain. They wont be investing heavily in getting more kids in the door. That’s where Gubby fits in. A master at the trading game and getting deals done. Also knows where a bunch of talented kids are hiding up north but seemingly now has a couple of areas to focus on.

NO QUESTION BUCKLEY WAS DEALT A CRAP HAND

A number of things have conspired to make this year just an absolutely horrific one for Buckley. If someone had told me at the start of the year we would have to endure;

- Our most exciting forward in Elliott out for the whole year

- Swan who is in your top 2-3 players going down in the first minutes of the season

- Brown being dropped due to poor form

- Cloke form being so bad he would dropped 3 times an average no better than a goal a game

- Our defensive game plan being so poor it was thrown out the window at the bye

- 39 players used and the bulk of them before the bye

- Scharenbergg, Langdon and Ramsay barely playing for the whole year

Then to be fair I don’t think I would have expected us to play finals.

WHAT DID WORK

Very little to be honest. The only upsides were;

- Treloar was worth every cent

- We found our ruck men for the next 10 years.....i hope.

- Adams developed further

- A number of the kids can play. Well done Dekka. Maynard, Wills, Smith, Crocker and Phillips all look good players and we got good games into them.

OUR BEST 22 IN 2017....PRE TRADES / DRAFT

The only real upside for Buckley is that he has had a pretty good look at everyone on the list and would have a reasonably definitive view on who is staying / going. I suspect he has now landed on the following as his best 22;

BACKS

RAMSAY – BROWN – MAYNARD

*GOLDSACK – REID – SMITH

MIDS

VARCOE – PENDLEBURY – SIDEBOTTOM

GRUNDY – TRELOAR – ADAMS

FORWARDS

ELLIOTT – WHITE – HOWE

COX – MOORE – DE GOEY

INTERCHANGE

WILLS – AISH – FASOLO - CRISP

*Goldsack is the contentious one. His game vs the Dogs reiterated his value and whilst many will disagree Collingwood would be mad to offload him. Given he has spent a large chunk of year in VFL and is close to Cloke his mind however may already be made up.

Depth Players (in no order)

Tom Langdon – I think they really rate him off HB as an intercept player. Speed and skill could improve. Going ok if cant find a spot for him. If Goldsack wasn’t there he could slot straight in.

Matt Scharenberg – What a talent. Gosh if we could get him into HB or midfield group it would add some skill and decision making.

Jono Marsh – I am 50:50 on him. Can intercept, close space and mark but under real heat his skill and decision making need improving before he is in.

Levi Greenwood – He would be right on the cusp and to be fair had some good footy late.

Tom Phillips – Had a good year. Probably wouldn’t have had much of a run if injuries hadn’t got us but shown enough and really built towards year end.

Ben Sinclair – Arguably in the form of his life pre concussion outing him.

Tim Broomhead – Another Buckley would have hoped would be in the forward 22 this year who wasn’t. Talented, skilled and a good decision maker so ideally you would keep him albeit injury prone.

Rupert Wills – A massive find. Would have Greenwood sweating bullets. Couple of areas to tidy up.

Ben Crocker – Showing glimpses and last game showed many. Said all along when he gets stronger watch out. Competitive bugger.

Lachie Keefe – Don’t under estimate what he could bring us next year.

Jarryd Blair – I am still 50:50 on him and given club seem to have suggested he will stay so lets leave it at that.

WHO GOES AND WHATS THEIR WORTH

Based on the above I think the following players are gone. Also fair bit of scuttlebutt around that a few more Pies aren't happy with whats happened to Dekka & Balme but lets leave this for now.

Dane Swan – Has retired. 700k of salary cap space will mean they spend 2017 hunting a FA.

Travis Cloke – Based on similar trades of years gone I am probably more at the bullish end of what people think. I also think they fact Collingwood are open to him staying means whoever wants him will have to pay up. I would think somewhere in the realm of 25 – 40 for him. Be disappointed if 40 as think that’s a speculative pick and better off having him stay and getting a FA pick for him next year. Ultimately I think the Dogs pick 30 (ish) will come to us or Lin Jong in a swap.

Jarrod Witts – Essendon, GWS, Brisbane to name a few would be asking about him. I know 2 of them have. Again if you look at young rucks they have a high price put on their heads even when you might not think they are that talented. I think Witts may end up in a swap for Hoskin-Elliott or Steele or get a very decent pick from the Lions. Otherwise I reckon 15-25 for him. Again quality in this years draft might see the back end of that but be staggered if any worse.

Jack Frost – I think it would be the same for him. He will seek to leave for opportunities and I think there will be a few clubs keen given there is a need at a number of clubs for them. GWS might be one if they lose Marchbank. Lions, Hawks, Freo and Essendon others. Hard to gauge Jack value but lets assume circa 45.

Marley Williams – With so many players ahead of him I think he will ask to go if the club don’t nudge him. I think a few clubs would have a need for him and would remember his best footy. Cameron Ling certainly uphold him on Ch7 a few weeks ago. I think Marley would be keen sought. I am thinking around 35-40 for him. If Essendon lost Hibberd they could appeal and Freo would be in the mix I would think. Maybe a swap with Ed Langdon? Lets say pick 35 for him.

Adam Oxley – He will look for opportunities elsewhere if the club don’t nudge him. Hasn’t really taken his chances last couple of weeks. Somewhere around 45 but look the offers will be limited I would think given didn't really do much late when he had the chance.

Alan Toovey – Retired

Brent Macaffer – retired

Matt Goodyear – I would delist him. Skills aren’t good enough. Not sure they will though.

Brayden Sier – Been a huge disappointment this year. Would demote to the rookie list.

Tim Golds - Delisted

Corey Gault - Delisted

NATIONAL DRAFT SELECTIONS

If we assume all the above then we will have 9 spots to fill on the senior list (ie get them to 40) and 1 to fill on the rookie list (Keefe, Thomas and Sier). I suspect they may go 8 on the senior list to give them a list of 39 and then have 5 rookies meaning we would be looking at 2 additional selections there.

Selections will be;

# 20 (Witts)

# 25 (2nd Round selection)

# 30 (Cloke)

# 35 (Williams)

# 40 (Frost)

# 43 (3rd Round selection)

# 45 (Oxley)

# 61 (4th Round selection)

THE TRADES

To be honest I think our squad is pretty good and I agree with Buckley there is good talent there. For me the gap is the key forward role to partner Moore. I just don’t have the confidence that Cox and White will be the year long answer but having said that I think Howe is a part of that as well if Goldsack stays and can play back.

The discussion points for me would really be around securing talented players like Marchbank, O’Meara and Hoskin-Elliott but our big problem is we really don’t have the ‘trade currency’ to get at the former two. We don’t have a first round pick this year and we aren’t allowed to use next years given didn’t take a first round pick in 2015 or 2016 and we have to take 2 in a 4 year period. Now what Collingwood could do is use their 2nd round selection from next year and package it with a pick from this year but more on that later.

To that end I would focus on identifying young talent that we can afford and on players who we think are a bit mispriced because of injury or lack of senior exposure in really good teams (Players like Docherty I think are really good examples of this). James Stewart and Will Hoskin-Elliott fit that mould. I would make them priorities

James Stewart for # 25

First things first I think he will be hard to prise out of GWS. My understanding is the kid is happy in NSW. Notwithstanding the club should make every effort to bring him back and lets Hope Gubby relationship can aide that. He is exactly the sort of forward that Buckley wants. Mobile, strong, good set of hands, can play duel roles and can kick. Outside of him there are few that are gettable I would think so its important to my mind to make this happen.

Will Hoskin-Elliott for Jarrod Witts

Been pretty unlucky with injury this year and is highly rated amongst the coaches for talent. His price is debatable but given he is contracted GWS wont let him go to the Pies for not much. If Witts doesn’t go here I suspect Collingwood will on trade the pick they get for him.

Lin Jong for Travis Cloke

I think this is probably highly likely to happen so lets include it and its probably fair. Jong is the type Buckley would like. Tough, competitive, speed, tackle machine and can play many roles. Most importantly he does what the coach needs.

Others of interest

Michael Walters – whispers around that Williams could be off to Fremantle for Walters. Would find that hard to believe given the Walters / Lyon relationship has been very good. Also cant see them letting Walters and Ballantyne go. If they thought they could get Pickett from GWS then maybe they would consider letting him go. Anyway if this was on I would slam dunk it. 25yo who is exactly what we need.

Jack Steele – He is on his way south and whilst not sure fits what we wants you would look at but think a Carlton / Saints / Hawks / Essendon will be the ones after him.

Paul Ahern – I really rate this kid. Would love to see him in our colors.

Nathan Hrovat – Only played the 4 games this year and would think he could be prised out. Ave near 20 touches in each game and he is a very good user of the ball.

Shane Kersten – Bit out of favour and would be interested in as a lead up forward.

Jeremy Finlayson – Bit might depend on Corr & Marchbank intentions. Good young key back prospect would look at.

Sam Reid – Name comes up every year but don’t need two brothers always injured.

Anthony Morabito – Interesting one for mine. Been going well in the WAFL and a change would probably suit him. We have the facilities for him and play on a softer ground. You would get him for not much.

Lukas Webb – Young Dog I am pretty drawn to. Think with good opportunity could become a talented HB type who sets up play. Not sure we need another though

Jarrod Pickett – Pies were well into him in the draft year and I think he will leave this year but suspect more likely for Perth.

HOW TO LAND THE MARLIN

JEAGER O’MEARA

As mentioned earlier the club will look and assess because they need more talented high end types but I don’t think the club have the currency to land him. Having said that lets have a look at a way they might;

Take our 2nd round selection from 2017 (which we can trade) and package it with our 2nd round from this year and trade to a club for a pick around 12-15 in this years draft. Some clubs will think that 2017 2nd round selection is probably worth 24 and with 25 and given the high quality of next years draft its possible someone will go for that. In addition you would give them Jarrod Witts who has a relationship with Eade and the Suns are desperate for a young ruck prospect as appears Nicholls may be on the move.

Now if it needed topping up then I would be open to adding an additional pick in one of the years. So you would offer pick # 14 & Jarrod Witts plus another selection you could muster up if required (Goldsack / Broomhead maybe). That might be in the ball park. That deal could also land Marchbank and Hoskin-Elliott!

NATIONAL AND ROOKIE DRAFT SELECTIONS

Based on the above we would then have a list of 34 and I think we will use 5 picks in the draft to take us to a senior list of 39. The following picks and (at this stage) this is what I would do with them;

# 35 – Patrick Kerr / Tall Forward

I am usually against taking key forwards late in the draft as history is against them but I might make an exception this year for Kerr. I think he is a terrific kid and I think Collingwood will know him well through Oakleigh connection. You don’t often find kids at junior level who are well versed in the art of 'leading'. This kids has it in spades. I am super impressed and hence fearful may go earlier but if here and good chance he is I would take him given his 194cm, hands and mobility are also in his favour.

# 40 - Josh Daicos / Small Forward

I think Daicos will get picked bid first and may well be pre here. I say that because its reasonably well accepted he has been hidden a little and that in what we have seen has been very good. Hence with more exposure and experience there is a lot to work with. His hands and feet are elite. He reads the ball well and navigates traffic. He has poise and decision making.

# 43 – Callum Brown / Small Forward / Inside Midfielder

He will get bid around here if not a bit higher. I actually rate him highly and in many ways he is similar to Tom Liberatore to my thinking which means could go earlier. The knock on Cal will be like Tom in that he doesn’t have huge hurt factor so its hard to know where he goes but kids like him can get bid pretty high and Clay Smith is a good example of that. A club just wants that type of player and his character and leadership skills will be valued.

# 45 – Brennan Cox / Tall Defender

Ideally it would be Griffin Logue but I think he might be gone so will go with the more realistic Cox. Talented key position type who probably better suited back but shown signs both ends. Other talls like Maibum, Sproule appeal in the draft as well.

# 61 – Jordan Ridley / Utility

I think he is the big riser and think there is a chance he will go in the 20-35 range. Can play a variety of roles but he has attributes that I think clubs would rate pretty highly and his upside is high.

ROOKIE DRAFT

We would then have space for 5 rookies with Keefe, Sier and Thomas taking three of them. I would then look at adding;

# 7 – Jeremy Goddard / Ruck

He would be the ruck prospect I would look at. He had a sensational year last year but for a variety of reasons this year fell off people's radar. He has talent and has been demonstrating it back in WA. I am usually against recruiting young rucks but I would have a look at him if he is around. Sean Darcy appeals a lot but has a few issues to hurdle first. To be fair there is a quite a few and I’d even be open to a delisted FA type.

# 25 – Jordan Kelly / Medium Defender

Absolutely deserves another chance and would surely get a spot if Goldsack was gone. If not him one player would love to get our hands on is Sam Fowler.

2017 BEST 22

BACKS

RAMSAY – BROWN – MAYNARD

GOLDSACK – REID – SMITH

MIDS

JONG – PENDLEBURY – SIDEBOTTOM

GRUNDY – ADAMS – TRELOAR

FORWARDS

VARCOE – STEWART – HOWE

ELLIOTT – MOORE – DE GOEY

INTERCHANGE

AISH – CRISP – HOSKIN-ELLIOTT – FASOLO

THE DEPTH

1 SCHARENBERG

2 LANGDON

3 BROOMHEAD

4 MARSH

5 GREENWOOD

6 BLAIR

7 SINCLAIR

8 PHILLIPS

9 CROCKER

10 WHITE

11 COX. M

12 WILLS

13 KERR

14 COX. B

15 DAICOS

16 BROWN. C

17 RIDLEY

Rookies

1 KEEFE

2 THOMAS

3 SIER

4 GODDARD

5 KELLY

OVERALL

It’s a good first 22 and if injury free would seriously push some sides and have a decent chance of finishing in the finals.

It has talent and I would argue Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Reid, Treloar and possibly Adams are all A grade players. That’s only 5 and we need 8 so really hoping some or all of Brown, Howe, Grundy, Varcoe, Elliott and Moore can push into that category. I am really confident Grundy, Elliott and Moore can.

What we really need and where the jury is still out is some of these younger ones to push into the B grade and become reliable top line players. Names like Aish, Crisp, De Goey, Fasolo, Scharenberg, Ramsay, Maynard, Jong, Hoskin-Elliott, Stewart, Goldsack, Broomhead, Langdon, Keefe are all guys who could go into the B grade and some of them could launch into the A grade as well next year.

The midfield is potentially one of the best and its getting some speed into it with Treloar, Crisp, Jong, Ramsay, Varcoe and WHE so I like that.

The key forwards worry me. Moore and Stewart would be the best bets for me. White is handy but very inconsistent. Still if Elliott, Howe, De Goey etc can be at their feet and providing contributions so we get an even spread that will help and it maybe why they dont go for a key forward type.

The backs don’t look great on paper but I have seen enough to feel that they should stick with that group and leave them to gel. They have individually shown really good signs and I think a better defensive effort across the field will help. They will all get there and if not Langdon, Scharenberg, Keefe, Sinclair are waiting for a shot.

Finally, there is genuine depth there now as well. Of the players not in the 22 you wouldn’t have many issues letting Scharenberg, Greenwood, Broomhead, Langdon, Blair, Wills, Keefe, Sinclair, Cox, Marsh, Phillips Crocker and White come in for games. That gives us a list of 35 players all who could make a contribution. That’s encouraging.

Bring it on Pies……and best of luck to ya Bucks!

Last edited:
"Now if it needed topping up then I would be open to adding an additional pick in one of the years. So you would offer pick # 14 & Jarrod Witts plus another selection you could muster up if required (Goldsack / Broomhead maybe). That might be in the ball park. That deal could also land Marchbank and Hoskin-Elliott!"

Are you proposing that the JOM deal you put forward could also be what we put forward for marchbank and Hoskin-Elliot?

Im starting to worry about our KPP given Cloke, Brown and frost could all be leaving. Keen on seeing some poaching from GWS and like the idea of Marchbank and Stewart. They may provide depth and then we can hunt again for a real quality KPP next year?

I think spending that much on JOM is not worth the risk given his knees. Thoughts?

Here is this year’s installment. Have been asked by a number of people if doing one this year and to be fair its been a work in progress for a while as I wanted to get the best read on the squad as have been 50:50 on my views on a number of players for a long time. In the end, I really wanted to wait until the last game before finalising.

Will keep it as short as possibly as don’t think people will want to read a complete ‘war and peace’ but please provide comment as I really enjoy the discussion off the back of it….as long as its constructive!

A LOT AT STAKE IN 2017

It’s a big year for CFC next year and Buckley has heaped the pressure on himself. As a result, Eddie will feel it to. To that end, they will pull out all stops to ensure they have all the ingredients they need in order to push into the Finals. One thing is for certain. They wont be investing heavily in getting more kids in the door. That’s where Gubby fits in. A master at the trading game and getting deals done. Also knows where a bunch of talented kids are hiding up north but seemingly now has a couple of areas to focus on.

A number of things have conspired to make this year just an absolutely horrific one for Buckley. If someone had told me at the start of the year we would have to endure;

- Swan who is in your top 2-3 players going down in the first minutes of the season

- Cloke form being so bad he would dropped 3 times an average no better than a goal a game

WHAT DID WORK

- A number of the kids can play. Well done Dekka. Maynard, Wills, Smith, Crocker and Phillips all look good players and we got good games into them.

The only real upside for Buckley is that he has had a pretty good look at everyone on the list and would have a reasonably definitive view on who is staying / going. I suspect he has now landed on the following as his best 22;

BACKS

RAMSAY – BROWN – MAYNARD

*GOLDSACK – REID – SMITH

MIDS

GRUNDY – TRELOAR – ADAMS

FORWARDS

ELLIOTT – WHITE – HOWE

COX – MOORE – DE GOEY

INTERCHANGE

*Goldsack is the contentious one. His game vs the Dogs reiterated his value and whilst many will disagree Collingwood would be mad to offload him. Given he has spent a large chunk of year in VFL and is close to Cloke his mind however may already be made up.

Tom Langdon – I think they really rate him off HB as an intercept player. Speed and skill could improve. Going ok if cant find a spot for him. If Goldsack wasn’t there he could slot straight in.

Matt Scharenberg – What a talent. Gosh if we could get him into HB or midfield group it would add some skill and decision making.

Jono Marsh – I am 50:50 on him. Can intercept, close space and mark but under real heat his skill and decision making need improving before he is in.

Levi Greenwood – He would be right on the cusp and to be fair had some good footy late.

Tom Phillips – Had a good year. Probably wouldn’t have had much of a run if injuries hadn’t got us but shown enough and really built towards year end.

Tim Broomhead – Another Buckley would have hoped would be in the forward 22 this year who wasn’t. Talented, skilled and a good decision maker so ideally you would keep him albeit injury prone.

Rupert Wills – A massive find. Would have Greenwood sweating bullets. Couple of areas to tidy up.

Ben Crocker – Showing glimpses and last game showed many. Said all along when he gets stronger watch out. Competitive bugger.

Jarryd Blair – I am still 50:50 on him and given club seem to have suggested he will stay so lets leave it at that.

Based on the above I think the following players are gone. Also fair bit of scuttlebutt around that a few more Pies aren't happy with whats happened to Dekka & Balme but lets leave this for now.

Dane Swan – Has retired. 700k of salary cap space will mean they spend 2017 hunting a FA.

Travis Cloke – Based on similar trades of years gone I am probably more at the bullish end of what people think. I also think they fact Collingwood are open to him staying means whoever wants him will have to pay up. I would think somewhere in the realm of 25 – 40 for him. Be disappointed if 40 as think that’s a speculative pick and better off having him stay and getting a FA pick for him next year. Ultimately I think the Dogs pick 30 (ish) will come to us or Lin Jong in a swap.

Jarrod Witts – Essendon, GWS, Brisbane to name a few would be asking about him. I know 2 of them have. Again if you look at young rucks they have a high price put on their heads even when you might not think they are that talented. I think Witts may end up in a swap for Hoskin-Elliott or Steele or get a very decent pick from the Lions. Otherwise I reckon 15-25 for him. Again quality in this years draft might see the back end of that but be staggered if any worse.

Jack Frost – I think it would be the same for him. He will seek to leave for opportunities and I think there will be a few clubs keen given there is a need at a number of clubs for them. GWS might be one if they lose Marchbank. Lions, Hawks, Freo and Essendon others. Hard to gauge Jack value but lets assume circa 45.

Marley Williams – With so many players ahead of him I think he will ask to go if the club don’t nudge him. I think a few clubs would have a need for him and would remember his best footy. Cameron Ling certainly uphold him on Ch7 a few weeks ago. I think Marley would be keen sought. I am thinking around 35-40 for him. If Essendon lost Hibberd they could appeal and Freo would be in the mix I would think. Maybe a swap with Ed Langdon? Lets say pick 35 for him.

Adam Oxley – He will look for opportunities elsewhere if the club don’t nudge him. Hasn’t really taken his chances last couple of weeks. Somewhere around 45 but look the offers will be limited I would think given didn't really do much late when he had the chance.

Alan Toovey – Retired

Brent Macaffer – retired

Matt Goodyear – I would delist him. Skills aren’t good enough. Not sure they will though.

Brayden Sier – Been a huge disappointment this year. Would demote to the rookie list.

Tim Golds - Delisted

Corey Gault - Delisted

If we assume all the above then we will have 9 spots to fill on the senior list (ie get them to 40) and 1 to fill on the rookie list (Keefe, Thomas and Sier). I suspect they may go 8 on the senior list to give them a list of 39 and then have 5 rookies meaning we would be looking at 2 additional selections there.

Selections will be;

# 20 (Witts)

# 30 (Cloke)

# 35 (Williams)

# 40 (Frost)

# 45 (Oxley)

THE TRADES

To be honest I think our squad is pretty good and I agree with Buckley there is good talent there. For me the gap is the key forward role to partner Moore. I just don’t have the confidence that Cox and White will be the year long answer but having said that I think Howe is a part of that as well if Goldsack stays and can play back.

The discussion points for me would really be around securing talented players like Marchbank, O’Meara and Hoskin-Elliott but our big problem is we really don’t have the ‘trade currency’ to get at the former two. We don’t have a first round pick this year and we aren’t allowed to use next years given didn’t take a first round pick in 2015 or 2016 and we have to take 2 in a 4 year period. Now what Collingwood could do is use their 2nd round selection from next year and package it with a pick from this year but more on that later.

To that end I would focus on identifying young talent that we can afford and on players who we think are a bit mispriced because of injury or lack of senior exposure in really good teams (Players like Docherty I think are really good examples of this). James Stewart and Will Hoskin-Elliott fit that mould. I would make them priorities

James Stewart for # 25

First things first I think he will be hard to prise out of GWS. My understanding is the kid is happy in NSW. Notwithstanding the club should make every effort to bring him back and lets Hope Gubby relationship can aide that. He is exactly the sort of forward that Buckley wants. Mobile, strong, good set of hands, can play duel roles and can kick. Outside of him there are few that are gettable I would think so its important to my mind to make this happen.

Been pretty unlucky with injury this year and is highly rated amongst the coaches for talent. His price is debatable but given he is contracted GWS wont let him go to the Pies for not much. If Witts doesn’t go here I suspect Collingwood will on trade the pick they get for him.

I think this is probably highly likely to happen so lets include it and its probably fair. Jong is the type Buckley would like. Tough, competitive, speed, tackle machine and can play many roles. Most importantly he does what the coach needs.

Others of interest

Michael Walters – whispers around that Williams could be off to Fremantle for Walters. Would find that hard to believe given the Walters / Lyon relationship has been very good. Also cant see them letting Walters and Ballantyne go. If they thought they could get Pickett from GWS then maybe they would consider letting him go. Anyway if this was on I would slam dunk it. 25yo who is exactly what we need.

Jack Steele – He is on his way south and whilst not sure fits what we wants you would look at but think a Carlton / Saints / Hawks / Essendon will be the ones after him.

Nathan Hrovat – Only played the 4 games this year and would think he could be prised out. Ave near 20 touches in each game and he is a very good user of the ball.

Shane Kersten – Bit out of favour and would be interested in as a lead up forward.

Jeremy Finlayson – Bit might depend on Corr & Marchbank intentions. Good young key back prospect would look at.

Anthony Morabito – Interesting one for mine. Been going well in the WAFL and a change would probably suit him. We have the facilities for him and play on a softer ground. You would get him for not much.

Lukas Webb – Young Dog I am pretty drawn to. Think with good opportunity could become a talented HB type who sets up play. Not sure we need another though

Jarrod Pickett – Pies were well into him in the draft year and I think he will leave this year but suspect more likely for Perth.

HOW TO LAND THE MARLIN

JEAGER O’MEARA

As mentioned earlier the club will look and assess because they need more talented high end types but I don’t think the club have the currency to land him. Having said that lets have a look at a way they might;

Take our 2nd round selection from 2017 (which we can trade) and package it with our 2nd round from this year and trade to a club for a pick around 12-15 in this years draft. Some clubs will think that 2017 2nd round selection is probably worth 24 and with 25 and given the high quality of next years draft its possible someone will go for that. In addition you would give them Jarrod Witts who has a relationship with Eade and the Suns are desperate for a young ruck prospect as appears Nicholls may be on the move.

Now if it needed topping up then I would be open to adding an additional pick in one of the years. So you would offer pick # 14 & Jarrod Witts plus another selection you could muster up if required (Goldsack / Broomhead maybe). That might be in the ball park. That deal could also land Marchbank and Hoskin-Elliott!

Based on the above we would then have a list of 34 and I think we will use 5 picks in the draft to take us to a senior list of 39. The following picks and (at this stage) this is what I would do with them;

I am usually against taking key forwards late in the draft as history is against them but I might make an exception this year for Kerr. I think he is a terrific kid and I think Collingwood will know him well through Oakleigh connection. You don’t often find kids at junior level who are well versed in the art of 'leading'. This kids has it in spades. I am super impressed and hence fearful may go earlier but if here and good chance he is I would take him given his 194cm, hands and mobility are also in his favour.

I think Daicos will get picked bid first and may well be pre here. I say that because its reasonably well accepted he has been hidden a little and that in what we have seen has been very good. Hence with more exposure and experience there is a lot to work with. His hands and feet are elite. He reads the ball well and navigates traffic. He has poise and decision making.

He will get bid around here if not a bit higher. I actually rate him highly and in many ways he is similar to Tom Liberatore to my thinking which means could go earlier. The knock on Cal will be like Tom in that he doesn’t have huge hurt factor so its hard to know where he goes but kids like him can get bid pretty high and Clay Smith is a good example of that. A club just wants that type of player and his character and leadership skills will be valued.

Ideally it would be Griffin Logue but I think he might be gone so will go with the more realistic Cox. Talented key position type who probably better suited back but shown signs both ends. Other talls like Maibum, Sproule appeal in the draft as well.

I think he is the big riser and think there is a chance he will go in the 20-35 range. Can play a variety of roles but he has attributes that I think clubs would rate pretty highly and his upside is high.

ROOKIE DRAFT

We would then have space for 5 rookies with Keefe, Sier and Thomas taking three of them. I would then look at adding;

He would be the ruck prospect I would look at. He had a sensational year last year but for a variety of reasons this year fell off people's radar. He has talent and has been demonstrating it back in WA. I am usually against recruiting young rucks but I would have a look at him if he is around. Sean Darcy appeals a lot but has a few issues to hurdle first. To be fair there is a quite a few and I’d even be open to a delisted FA type.

Absolutely deserves another chance and would surely get a spot if Goldsack was gone. If not him one player would love to get our hands on is Sam Fowler.

2017 BEST 22

BACKS

RAMSAY – BROWN – MAYNARD

GOLDSACK – REID – SMITH

MIDS

GRUNDY – ADAMS – TRELOAR

FORWARDS

VARCOE – STEWART – HOWE

INTERCHANGE

THE DEPTH

1 SCHARENBERG

2 LANGDON

3 BROOMHEAD

4 MARSH

5 GREENWOOD

6 BLAIR

7 SINCLAIR

8 PHILLIPS

9 CROCKER

10 WHITE

11 COX. M

12 WILLS

13 KERR

14 COX. B

15 DAICOS

16 BROWN. C

17 RIDLEY

Rookies

1 KEEFE

2 THOMAS

3 SIER

4 GODDARD

5 KELLY

OVERALL

It’s a good first 22 and if injury free would seriously push some sides and have a decent chance of finishing in the finals.

It has talent and I would argue Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Reid, Treloar and possibly Adams are all A grade players. That’s only 5 and we need 8 so really hoping some or all of Brown, Howe, Grundy, Varcoe, Elliott and Moore can push into that category. I am really confident Grundy, Elliott and Moore can.

What we really need and where the jury is still out is some of these younger ones to push into the B grade and become reliable top line players. Names like Aish, Crisp, De Goey, Fasolo, Scharenberg, Ramsay, Maynard, Jong, Hoskin-Elliott, Stewart, Goldsack, Broomhead, Langdon, Keefe are all guys who could go into the B grade and some of them could launch into the A grade as well next year.

The midfield is potentially one of the best and its getting some speed into it with Treloar, Crisp, Jong, Ramsay, Varcoe and WHE so I like that.

The key forwards worry me. Moore and Stewart would be the best bets for me. White is handy but very inconsistent. Still if Elliott, Howe, De Goey etc can be at their feet and providing contributions so we get an even spread that will help and it maybe why they dont go for a key forward type.

The backs don’t look great on paper but I have seen enough to feel that they should stick with that group and leave them to gel. They have individually shown really good signs and I think a better defensive effort across the field will help. They will all get there and if not Langdon, Scharenberg, Keefe, Sinclair are waiting for a shot.

Finally, there is genuine depth there now as well. Of the players not in the 22 you wouldn’t have many issues letting Scharenberg, Greenwood, Broomhead, Langdon, Blair, Wills, Keefe, Sinclair, Cox, Marsh, Phillips Crocker and White come in for games. That gives us a list of 35 players all who could make a contribution. That’s encouraging.

Thank you, can't imagine the time and patience to put this together, lots of food for thought.

If O'Meara says to GC "Collingwood or the draft (Essendon) " then we may do better than we think in that deal. I'm undecided on whether JOM is worth the risk........initially it was a yes but I'm starting to think not.

I really don't disagree with much in that Snoop summary - good job :thumbsu:

Awesome work Snoop.

2 guys I haven't heard a lot mentioned about are Ahern and Pickett. We were clearly keen on Pickett 2 years ago as well which is why GWS made the move on him at pick 4 instead of pick 6 or 7.

Both Ahern and Pickett have had injury issues, but I think GWS will struggle to retain them as they will have some salary cap pressure now. They could come relatively cheaply.

Would love to try and get into Ahern, Pickett, WHE and Marchbank. Covers just about all our issues except a power forward to support Moore. Which is why I wouldn't be against finding a stop gap like Petrie short term just to take some burden off Moore.

Thanks Snoop Dog great read.

Funny that you mentioned James Stewart there. Take this with a grain of salt but my dad plays golf regularly with a former Collingwood Captain (from the 70s) and he was only saying the other day (over a beer at the 19th hole) that Craig Stewart (a former team mater of his) was trying to get James back to Melbourne due to a lack of opportunities at GWS. He seemed to think that even though they where unhappy with Collingwood overlooking him in the first place; the romance of him playing in B&W is still there and a trade to Collingwood is definitely an option. So watch this space.

Very good Snoop, really enjoyed the read and appreciate the effort it takes to do it.

Personally I don't see Howe as being a forward for us. He looks and plays like a natural backman and at times throughout the year played at an All Australian level.

I rate plenty of the players from other clubs you've mentioned. Also wouldn't mind seeing us have a go at Matera from GC. Still only 24, super talented and could come cheap.

Excellent summary.
Enjoyable read.

I like your best 22 though not sold on Goldsack as you.
He does bring something, can kick long but to me when he strings a few games together starts to get a bit lost in the flood. Assuming healthy, no shock I'd have games into Scharenberg as priority (but I'm a bit of a fan). I'd have Langdon as well over Tyson.

Really like what you've done with draft types (the talks particularly) and a bit about them. Love that stuff.
I'm afraid JOM is a pass for me unless cheap (that's unlikely). the injuries worry me.

Your thoughts on key forwards ie the big forwards to partner Moore in order of likelihood we can get them this years trade draft period, being realistic ie we not getting Franklin.

Say top five in order of likelihood and who you think we will try to chase.

Many thanks

I'd be very disappointed if we trade Williams.

At his best, he is an All Australian.

I'm not too sure what happened to him this season, but I would back him in next season.

Thanks Snoop Dog great read.

Funny that you mentioned James Stewart there. Take this with a grain of salt but my dad plays golf regularly with a former Collingwood Captain (from the 70s) and he was only saying the other day (over a beer at the 19th hole) that Craig Stewart (a former team mater of his) was trying to get James back to Melbourne due to a lack of opportunities at GWS. He seemed to think that even though they where unhappy with Collingwood overlooking him in the first place; the romance of him playing in B&W is still there and a trade to Collingwood is definitely an option. So watch this space.

To me, he projects as a poor man's Jesse White.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be very disappointed if we trade Williams.

At his best, he is an All Australian.

I'm not too sure what happened to him this season, but I would back him in next season.
Agree with this. Last year we saw how good he can be.
Did read some rumours in here about him having a fight with Adams so maybe that has something to do with it.

Great read Snoop. Hard to disagree. In relation to Michael Walters, where are the whispers coming from? Marley for Walters, and I assume there would be more to it, would probably grab me as a trade more than O'Meara to be honest. I do question the rumours though. Are they just from here? Or sources elsewhere because to be honest, I can't really see why Walters would move. Unless RTB is really hated that much over there.

A LOT AT STAKE IN 2017

WHAT DID WORK

BACKS

RAMSAY – BROWN – MAYNARD

*GOLDSACK – REID – SMITH

MIDS

GRUNDY – TRELOAR – ADAMS

FORWARDS

ELLIOTT – WHITE – HOWE

COX – MOORE – DE GOEY

INTERCHANGE

Alan Toovey – Retired

Brent Macaffer – retired

Tim Golds - Delisted

Corey Gault - Delisted

Selections will be;

# 20 (Witts)

# 30 (Cloke)

# 35 (Williams)

# 40 (Frost)

# 45 (Oxley)

THE TRADES

James Stewart for # 25

Others of interest

HOW TO LAND THE MARLIN

JEAGER O’MEARA

ROOKIE DRAFT

2017 BEST 22

BACKS

RAMSAY – BROWN – MAYNARD

GOLDSACK – REID – SMITH

MIDS

GRUNDY – ADAMS – TRELOAR

FORWARDS

VARCOE – STEWART – HOWE

INTERCHANGE

THE DEPTH

1 SCHARENBERG

2 LANGDON

3 BROOMHEAD

4 MARSH

5 GREENWOOD

6 BLAIR

7 SINCLAIR

8 PHILLIPS

9 CROCKER

10 WHITE

11 COX. M

12 WILLS

13 KERR

14 COX. B

15 DAICOS

16 BROWN. C

17 RIDLEY

Rookies

1 KEEFE

2 THOMAS

3 SIER

4 GODDARD

5 KELLY

OVERALL

You were going pretty well up until "Travis Cloke for Lin Jong". I stopped reading.

I stopped reading at how a 17 year old who's had his first pre season and had injuries throughout 2016 has been disappointing and should be demoted to rookie list.

So much wrong.

"Now if it needed topping up then I would be open to adding an additional pick in one of the years. So you would offer pick # 14 & Jarrod Witts plus another selection you could muster up if required (Goldsack / Broomhead maybe). That might be in the ball park. That deal could also land Marchbank and Hoskin-Elliott!"

Are you proposing that the JOM deal you put forward could also be what we put forward for marchbank and Hoskin-Elliot?

Im starting to worry about our KPP given Cloke, Brown and frost could all be leaving. Keen on seeing some poaching from GWS and like the idea of Marchbank and Stewart. They may provide depth and then we can hunt again for a real quality KPP next year?

I think spending that much on JOM is not worth the risk given his knees. Thoughts?

Yes I am.

I know the club are keen on him but don't know if medical been completed.....suspect not. Personally I think a massive risk but we do have the resources to make an informed choice. I'd support the club on it. Certainly JOM data suggests if fit an absolutely elite player in making.

Re tall backs I also agree hence recruitment of Kerr and Cox. Brown and Reid have some time left and Keefe and marsh are in the wings so the back is ok and can wait if need be but the forwards have real issues. Personally don't think Stewart is on table and we will be looking Moore, Howe, white and Cox as the options.

Thanks a lot, Snoop. Always enjoy your thoughts and greatly appreciate the level of effort and research.
Have to ask what you see in Jong that many of us don't.
Also, who do you rate the highest out of Stewart, Finlayson and Reid?

Great read Snoop. Hard to disagree. In relation to Michael Walters, where are the whispers coming from? Marley for Walters, and I assume there would be more to it, would probably grab me as a trade more than O'Meara to be honest. I do question the rumours though. Are they just from here? Or sources elsewhere because to be honest, I can't really see why Walters would move. Unless RTB is really hated that much over there.
Yeah... If we managed to trade Marley for Walters it would be the biggest steal in trade history. Walters is a very very good player. Much better than Marley.

If O'Meara says to GC "Collingwood or the draft (Essendon) " then we may do better than we think in that deal. I'm undecided on whether JOM is worth the risk........initially it was a yes but I'm starting to think not.

I really don't disagree with much in that Snoop summary - good job :thumbsu:

Agree albeit Essendon will put something up and I suspect if need be will trade pick 1 for a couple in top ten and then flick them one. We have a ruckman though and that might be handy if he is keen to go. Think gf is a Melbourne girl though????

Great read. To my delight and against popular opinion you have moved Howe to the fwd line again. Permanent fixture or swing man?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back