Autopsy Snow bunnies beat the Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree he was a liability in both finals, but he can't be blamed for his selection. It would have been hard not to play him after his game against the Swans, but the situation of finals footy overwhelmed him, and he appeared lost in both games, and I wouldn't argue that.

His CV would suggest he must have footy smarts, and as soon as he can apply those to our game on a constant basis, h will be an asset.

Nash was very exciting in his game before the finals. His tackling was inspirational and a lot of us were on a high. I think the selection committee felt the same and got as carried away with his potential as we did.

I have no doubt that Nash will be a great asset for our club. You just can't hurry experience. Remember that he missed most of his first year with injury so he is very green. The fact that he was even considered for the finals this year speaks volumes about what the club thinks of him.

I have faith in Conor Nash.

Kudos to tom mitchell what a absolute bull for playing out the game!! He is one tuff sob a contested beast
When you think we had no jaeger and mitchell with 1 shoulder for 3/4 qtrs.
We got within 2goals before gunston miss . Be optimistic we will be in the top4 again next yr with a big off season and come back to be a true contender.
Had roughly 2million on the sidelines last night.

Always hard for us spoiled hawks supporters to walk away from the season without the cup but thanks lads for a fascinating year nonetheless. Hold your heads high and enjoy your break. Love this club.

West Coast the least odious team remaining. Hope they put the Dees on their arse next week and give the Tiges a run in the big one.

I just need to get something off my chest. This has been gnawing at me ever since last night. I need to talk about Jack Gunston hitting the post at a crucial stage during the match, and his overall goalkicking performance.

Jack used to be one of the better kicks for goal in the AFL, but he has adopted this insane method of kicking around the corner. It has grown to the point where he is no longer kicking straight through the ball, but opting to guide the ball with his instep. This is forcing him to drift to the right side before he kicks, thus reducing his margin for error.

As if the errant kicks around the corner aren't bad enough, when that opportunity arose for him to kick a crucial goal to put the Hawks back into the game, rather than straighten and kick through the ball, he opted to run to his right so he could kick it around the corner. It is his habit. By forcing himself to kick across the body and dropping it onto his instep, he didn't have control over the kick and it went crashing into the post.

Now, this is just not good enough. It's an ugly habit that many players have brought to the game. It's bad enough when other imbeciles are doing it, but when what used to be one of our most accurate kicks for goal starts doing it, then I have to ask why Clarko is allowing it to happen.

Kudos to tom mitchell what a absolute bull for playing out the game!! He is one tuff sob a contested beast
When you think we had no jaeger and mitchell with 1 shoulder for 3/4 qtrs.
We got within 2goals before gunston miss . Be optimistic we will be in the top4 again next yr with a big off season and come back to be a true contender.
Had roughly 2million on the sidelines last night.
Mitchell one of the few players who can hold his head up after the last 2 weeks.

Thank god he plays for us.

Pretty fair & honest i would have thought.

What about it was pathetic?
The articles precludes that Hawthorn's blend of youth and experience hasn't worked, and that we're at crisis point.

The form line of our side since April last year has gone from dead last to top four. With no players looking to retire this year, there's no reason we couldn't improve enough over the next year to win a flag.

This article ignores our very clear plan:

Maturing: Burton, Hardwick, Howe, Morrison, Worpel (19-22)
Prime/Entering: Sicily, Impey, O'Meara, Mitchell (23-25)
Prime/Leaving: McEvoy, Shiels, Gunston, Breust, Smith, Stratton, Frawley (27-30)
Twilight: Roughy, Puopolo, Birchall and Burgoyne (30+)

What's the point of waiting the next two years for a group of draftees to reach the 50 game mark only to have players from the final two categories decline or retire? It's the 23-25 year old category which is under-represented in terms of quality players. O'Rourke hasn't been able to play a role, which is dissapointing. Notice that the reason that every player we're targeting in falls within that age range (Lynch, Shiel, McGovern). I suspect we'll table our biggest offer for Wingard though. A 25-year-old match winner, the closest thing to a Cyril replacement out there. Unbelievable that he's gettable. Port are nuts.

Last edited:
Pretty fair & honest i would have thought.

What about it was pathetic?
Yep. And in the list decisions I would add O’brien. Nothing said in that article that we don’t already know. I just makes for hard reading when you see your stars are getting closer to the use by date.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Next yr we won't get a 2018 style "kissed on the dick" fixture by the AFL . Could get ugly boys
We got Cats Swans and * twice all were considered finals 8 sides at the start of the year.
and Brizzy did us twice and they will probably be in the 8 next year.

I just need to get something off my chest. This has been gnawing at me ever since last night. I need to talk about Jack Gunston hitting the post at a crucial stage during the match, and his overall goalkicking performance.

Jack used to be one of the better kicks for goal in the AFL, but he has adopted this insane method of kicking around the corner. It has grown to the point where he is no longer kicking straight through the ball, but opting to guide the ball with his instep. This is forcing him to drift to the right side before he kicks, thus reducing his margin for error.

As if the errant kicks around the corner aren't bad enough, when that opportunity arose for him to kick a crucial goal to put the Hawks back into the game, rather than straighten and kick through the ball, he opted to run to his right so he could kick it around the corner. It is his habit. By forcing himself to kick across the body and dropping it onto his instep, he didn't have control over the kick and it went crashing into the post.

Now, this is just not good enough. It's an ugly habit that many players have brought to the game. It's bad enough when other imbeciles are doing it, but when what used to be one of our most accurate kicks for goal starts doing it, then I have to ask why Clarko is allowing it to happen.
Just a thought and someone will probably have stats to prove otherwise

But I think his goal kicking has tailed off since he started playing a bit of Mr Fixit a few years back

Next yr we won't get a 2018 style "kissed on the dick" fixture by the AFL . Could get ugly boys
You really are a troll, aren’t you.

Hawthorn’s Draw was widely considered to be tough prior to the season, but because we beat Bombers and Cats twice each they finish lower on the ladder and all of a sudden our draw gets re-thunk as easy.

What a load of s**t.

You really are a troll, aren’t you.

Hawthorn’s Draw was widely considered to be tough prior to the season, but because we beat Bombers and Cats twice each they finish lower on the ladder and all of a sudden our draw gets re-thunk as easy.

What a load of s**t.
Can also add ST Kilda twice who most ( not me ) thought would play finals before the season

Yet not one mention of Luke Bruest, at least Jack tried his guts out , Bruest just gave up.

The way the season has panned out our fixture appears to have been ‘easy’ on face value, as our 5 ‘play once’ teams were all of the other teams in the last 6. However, absolutely nobody would have predicted that when the fixture was released. And, no trip to Adelaide and playing Brisbane twice looked like big ticks last November. Yet both Adelaide teams missed the finals and we lost to Brisbane both times.
As Abasi noted, our fixture was deemed as tough when it was released.
For 2019, double ups against Geelong and Sydney appear to be locks. We will get two of this years top 6, probably inluding West Coast as we didn’t get them in Perth this year, and one of the bottom 6, likely Brisbane due to the Hodge factor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back