So How Dangerous is COVID Really?

Remove this Banner Ad

Vaccine mandates seem pretty pointless now. Works as a stick to get people off their arses out of fear of not being able to buy tins from the bottle-o or whatever, but if you set a vaccination target of 80% or 90% then once you reach that target then what's the point of the mandate continuing? Either drop the target or drop the mandate. Just say 'we want everyone without medical exemption to be vaccinated no ifs no buts' and be done with it. That's what the AFL have done for their 800 players. Vaxxed in, not vaxxed out. There's no each way bet where they have a 90% target which has clearly been reached but then Liam Jones and Jack Darling and Cam Ellis-Yolmen still can't play.

How does that make any sense?

How can you be 'in principle' opposed to something which you support?

Seems like some kind of Orwell style doublethink to me.
You can very easily be against something in principle but understand it's requirement in a certain set of circumstances. It's called critical thinking and you really need to try it

As an example:

I am against conscription into the armed forces in principle but should there be a mass invasion that required all able bodied people to defend the country then I would be for conscription

So anyway....I have COVID.

And I gotta tell ya, it was ******* brutal.

Came on quick, felt like I was going to die due to the most nasty flu-like symptoms I've ever had, then about 24 hours it subsided.

Short and sharp.

Still super blocked up, but the fever and body aches are pretty much gone. Or at least nothing a couple of Panadol can't sort out.

But man, those first 24 hours were downright vicious.

So anyway....I have COVID.

And I gotta tell ya, it was ******* brutal.

Came on quick, felt like I was going to die due to the most nasty flu-like symptoms I've ever had, then about 24 hours it subsided.

Short and sharp.

Still super blocked up, but the fever and body aches are pretty much gone. Or at least nothing a couple of Panadol can't sort out.

But man, those first 24 hours were downright vicious.
My son tested positive this morning. Quite ill and vomiting. He's under 5 so no vax.

Is there anywhere to get player distance data? I am keen to see the WCE data vs historical data. There are studies showing decreased athletic performance for weeks
Have many players actually had it? Most seem to be close contacts from what I've seen.

Is there anywhere to get player distance data? I am keen to see the WCE data vs historical data. There are studies showing decreased athletic performance for weeks
Given some of the players who had COVID ran out of legs in the match on the weekend, I'd say the evidence was fairly obvious. Long term studies take a long time. There are reports of sports people who are having long term effects, non in the AFL that we know of, but their all vaccinated.
People keep describing it as a mild disease, but quiet frankly everyone I know who has had it have been very sick and describe it as much worse than the flu.

Given some of the players who had COVID ran out of legs in the match on the weekend, I'd say the evidence was fairly obvious. Long term studies take a long time. There are reports of sports people who are having long term effects, non in the AFL that we know of, but their all vaccinated.
People keep describing it as a mild disease, but quiet frankly everyone I know who has had it have been very sick and describe it as much worse than the flu.
A lot of people I know including myself noted a very mild virus. I dont appear to have any long term effects. The studies Ive read suggest recovery is weeks, but it would be interesting to see data from elite athletes on endurance

Donovan Mitchell doesnt appear to have had any long term symptoms affecting his game.

Just had it for the second time. Got it round 1 at the footy actually. Second time round wasn't as intensive or scary, I was able to breathe normally the whole time, but geez the fatigue is hanging around. First bout in 2020 I was right after a few days, this time with omicron I havent been able to work for weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

28 athletic, healthy male at the time. (Nearly a decade in the gym and very physically active at this point. Non drinker etc) Caught it in New York in Feb 2020. Didn’t know till I returned to Melbourne.
Three weeks bed ridden, irregular heart beats, extreme anxiety and struggling to breathe when awake (4-5 hours a day). Looking back I should have been hospitalised and not sent home but it was early days, within the first 100 in Australia to get.
The next six months consisted of multiple trips to emergency because my heart would develop irregular rhythms and jump from 55 to 220 beats per minute. I’ve lost count how many ECG’s and Holter belts I had and eventually an echocardiogram. I’m left with left ventricular hypertrophy and severely dilated atriums. Extremely fortunate my walls remained within normal/healthy limits and function is perfectly fine.
I’ve batteled extreme fatigue, reduced aerobic function and had to give up physical exercise and make lifestyle changes (cpap machine for example). Ended up getting mental health support because I developed crippling health anxiety and was unable to sleep or function without Valium. Any skipped beat or thump (which initially were happening 3-4 times a minute) would cause me to spiral and id convince myself I was having a heart attack or stroke. (My heart episodes would start with a thump or skip. Single male living alone lying on my bedroom floor completing vagal manoeuvres at 3am because my heart rate would jump 200+). Was one of the lowest parts of my life.

I haven’t had any heart scares for close to a year now and im back at the gym this week and have pre-Covid levels of energy and physical output again. Over two years to recover to 85%. Now to build my fitness base back.

I had it again a month ago and wouldn’t have known if my partner hadn’t tested positive and she suggested a test because I had a sniffle.

Very different situations and I can only assume it was much more aggressive early on and is “watered down” down now due to vaccines and a natural mutation of the virus

people keep describing it as much worse than the flu, but quite frankly everyone I know who has had it has had a very mild illness or no illness at all and describe it as a light cold at worse.

And that's actually true, but I don't know that many that have had it. But most got tested due to our contact rules, not because they were sick at all.

people keep describing it as much worse than the flu, but quite frankly everyone I know who has had it has had a very mild illness or no illness at all and describe it as a light cold at worse.

And that's actually true, but I don't know that many that have had it. But most got tested due to our contact rules, not because they were sick at all.
My mum's cousin went from feeling a bit off colour at the airport to an ambulance being called 15 minutes later. It's going to be different for different people.

28 athletic, healthy male at the time. (Nearly a decade in the gym and very physically active at this point. Non drinker etc) Caught it in New York in Feb 2020. Didn’t know till I returned to Melbourne.
Three weeks bed ridden, irregular heart beats, extreme anxiety and struggling to breathe when awake (4-5 hours a day). Looking back I should have been hospitalised and not sent home but it was early days, within the first 100 in Australia to get.
The next six months consisted of multiple trips to emergency because my heart would develop irregular rhythms and jump from 55 to 220 beats per minute. I’ve lost count how many ECG’s and Holter belts I had and eventually an echocardiogram. I’m left with left ventricular hypertrophy and severely dilated atriums. Extremely fortunate my walls remained within normal/healthy limits and function is perfectly fine.
I’ve batteled extreme fatigue, reduced aerobic function and had to give up physical exercise and make lifestyle changes (cpap machine for example). Ended up getting mental health support because I developed crippling health anxiety and was unable to sleep or function without Valium. Any skipped beat or thump (which initially were happening 3-4 times a minute) would cause me to spiral and id convince myself I was having a heart attack or stroke. (My heart episodes would start with a thump or skip. Single male living alone lying on my bedroom floor completing vagal manoeuvres at 3am because my heart rate would jump 200+). Was one of the lowest parts of my life.

I haven’t had any heart scares for close to a year now and im back at the gym this week and have pre-Covid levels of energy and physical output again. Over two years to recover to 85%. Now to build my fitness base back.

I had it again a month ago and wouldn’t have known if my partner hadn’t tested positive and she suggested a test because I had a sniffle.

Very different situations and I can only assume it was much more aggressive early on and is “watered down” down now due to vaccines and a natural mutation of the virus

Glad to hear you're on the way back. That's a pretty compelling account. Thanks for sharing.

60 lean fit excellent diet daily workout regime. Itchy throat and sinus aches 1 month ago. Tested positive, tested negative after 9 days. I knew I'd be negative as symptoms had gone and I felt completely normal that day.

1 week after, extreme sleepiness for 4 days, then back to normal. 1 week later nasty mid back flank and lower back aches which are only now disapating. I am officially negative, vital signs fine, my Doc is watching me, thinks it is post covid effects, he has seen similar cases.

58, fitter than some and still a chunky specimen. Walking 15-25km+ a day at work + umpire training. Thought I had mild covid at the beginning of the year, it really affected my aerobic capacity and I have been struggling to run more than 500-600m without dropping to a walk to recover for 30 seconds or so.

Bloke at work was missing on Monday, rumoured to be covid. Had a mild scratchy throat, so did a rat when I got home just for a laugh and it was positive. PCR test result confirmed this morning. Developed head cold symptoms overnight and it's in the process of moving down to my chest. Rolling over in bed feels like someone is kicking me in the lower back. Currently about a 4/10 or 5/10 on the manflu scale.

Triple vaxxed and I've been on daily vitamin D capsules since Feb '20. Can imagine how bad I'd be if I didn't have that protection. Wishing I'd kept up the ivermectin as well.

58, fitter than some and still a chunky specimen. Walking 15-25km+ a day at work + umpire training. Thought I had mild covid at the beginning of the year, it really affected my aerobic capacity and I have been struggling to run more than 500-600m without dropping to a walk to recover for 30 seconds or so.

Bloke at work was missing on Monday, rumoured to be covid. Had a mild scratchy throat, so did a rat when I got home just for a laugh and it was positive. PCR test result confirmed this morning. Developed head cold symptoms overnight and it's in the process of moving down to my chest. Rolling over in bed feels like someone is kicking me in the lower back. Currently about a 4/10 or 5/10 on the manflu scale.

Triple vaxxed and I've been on daily vitamin D capsules since Feb '20. Can imagine how bad I'd be if I didn't have that protection. Wishing I'd kept up the ivermectin as well.
278082663_272471668429755_8506872988038361735_n.jpg

Male, 30s, probably fitter than the average person of my demographic, but not super fit by any stretch

Had a mild case recently. Dry throat for a day or 2 that I barely noticed and initially assumed was a result of being run down. Mild congestion and blocked nose for 4 days. Kept working through it (on screen WFH). By day 6ish, I barely knew I'd just had a virus. Felt 100% ever since, straight back to playing social sport.

No fever. No cough. No headaches. I'd categorise it as a mild cold.

Had some tiredness and potentially brain fog for a couple of days. But I wasn't sure whether that was covid, or the backlog of poor sleep that had been building for a while. I tend to think the latter.

Iso was a much needed break after a busy month prior.

Double vaxxed, 2nd dose was 5 months prior to infection.

I had a milder case than most, and very grateful for that.

But Omicron has definitely been preferable to Delta going by the data and the majority of personal accounts, so I think the emergence of the Omicron variants was the best thing to ever happen in this pandemic.

So flabbergasted at how little the general public knows about covid and virology. Like, so many people in this thread are wrong on all sides of the discussion... The most glaring thing to beat over peoples heads they get wrong is the "What is the rationale behind 30K in crowds but you can't have a party at home?" mindset. Yes... This is all logical. In the middle of 2020 scientists and epidemiologists already established the outdoor air vs. indoor (at night) disparity in viral load. It's orders of magnitude difference.

This was actually already known in coronaviruses in general. If outside with someone coughing they'd have to do it IN your mouth. Otherwise w/ sunlight and standing air flow of outdoor environments it dissipates too fast.

But you only need 15 minutes of breathing normal exhalant (non-coughing) of a person with slight cough symtoms (but who is not coughing currently) to begin replicating covid in your nose and throat.

This is why people should be social distancing in terms of gathering in intimate spaces, and holiday periods; but football games in daytime in massive crowds was always typically a harmless thing. We wasted so much time in fear. All we needed to do was turn ALL partying (nightclubs etc) into daytime festivals, and all dinners and private home gatherings into open-air picnics in the middle of the day.

This way we keep more social cohesion than the cost of "lockdown" which created now vast amounts of cancer increase, diabetes, depression, suicide, job loss... so much over nonsense misunderstanding and poor quality of health agency and gov. directives!

He's now recovered and returned to full training, from a known uncommon short-term side effect of the Pfizer vaccine. Meanwhile, being vaccinated drastically reduces your risks all much more common side effects of unvaccinated exposure to SARS-CoV-2.

Did you read the article you linked or just the headline?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back