So How Dangerous is COVID Really?

Remove this Banner Ad

My girlfriend has been covid positive for a week now. Is an otherwise healthy 29 year old but is unfortunate in that she’s a diabetic.

Blood sugars were absolutely through the roof last weekend sitting at around 32 so I rushed her to the hospital where she stayed for the day. She was discharged and has been resting at home since. We haven’t isolated at home as it’s impractical. I have tested negative every day and if it isn’t the vaccine then I don’t know what to tell you. I’m very thankful I haven’t gotten it, and when more thankful my girlfriend appears to be passed it.

But to care whether others are vaxxed or not has always been outright stupidity, or worse.
So I shouldn't care whether other people get vaccinated? I shouldn't care if they are increasing the risk of an outbreak around, say, my parent with heart issues?

Tell me again why I shouldn't care about this?

So I shouldn't care whether other people get vaccinated? I shouldn't care if they are increasing the risk of an outbreak around, say, my parent with heart issues?

Tell me again why I shouldn't care about this?

they don't increase the risk of outbreak, that's the point. The virus transmits through vacvinated populations, this is accepted fact. You're still living in the false state where vaccination impedes transmission, it doesn't. It impedes your personal degree of disease, which is a huge benefit. But you believing you got vaxxed to protect others is rubbish, the vaccine doesn't do that. Your feeling of superiority is unfounded.

You're still living in the false state where vaccination impedes transmission, it doesn't.
Yes. It does.

With Omicron it is not the main effect of vaccination, but it has an effect on transmission. Studies show this effect to varying degrees.

they don't increase the risk of outbreak, that's the point. The virus transmits through vacvinated populations, this is accepted fact. You're still living in the false state where vaccination impedes transmission, it doesn't. It impedes your personal degree of disease, which is a huge benefit. But you believing you got vaxxed to protect others is rubbish, the vaccine doesn't do that. Your feeling of superiority is unfounded.

It clearly reduced the spread of Delta. Clearly.

From what I understand though, it has little to no impact in preventing the spread of Omicron. Previously having COVID also has little to no impact on catching Omicron.

Well it's day 5 of quarantine and I'm feeling a little better, still 2/10 on the manflu scale. Moved a couple of small boxes before and now I'm flaked out in a chair sweating like a pig and getting my breath back. No 4k time trials this week for me.

Got a txt from my employer* earlier stating I'll be good to go back on Tuesday. Yes, if I get the Health Dept all-clear on Monday and I'm completely symptom-free on Tuesday. Otherwise FO.

* Not, as far as I'm aware, involved in any medical or government covid-monitoring pursuits at this time

Nurse here.

It's very dangerous to a small amount of people, some at higher risk and some who are downright unlucky.

Other issue is the long-term effects which are significant and poorly understood.

Omicron has been interesting - became the dominant strain yet also mild. Good for removing more dangerous strains but also concerning if it mutates and becomes more dangerous.

My take - have the vaccine/boosters and just get on with life. Just like influenza.

I think that's been the plan all along, hasn't it?

And that is what has happened, and is happening across the world.

I guess it's been the plan since vaccines became a thing but plenty of people still don't wanna take them and expect the herd to protect them.

Fine by me but don't complain if it costs you your job from time to time!

To answer the thread title, it's never been dangerous except for a very well known and tiny portion of the population. The great risk from day one was the enormous amount of asymptomatic carriers rolling around totally unaware they were about to infect nanna who might be a high risk of severe disease. But this knowledge was ignored in order to drive the necessary fear required to drive vax rates, which it had been decided was the only solution.

This included the now known outright lie that the virus wouldn't spread through a vaccinated population. Which saw the insanity of a segment of vaccinated people turning against unvaccinated because they believed they were the only people who could infect them. And even though it's now known to have been rubbish, many of those insane people still can't let go of their hatred of the unvaxxed.

Most people that catch the disease are fine, <3k of 27k asymptomatic according to this article. https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/...n/news-story/e707f42ceff3caefb300bd0bd35b2a4e But I am happy I'm vaxxed as it reduces the likelihood of severe disease when I get it, assuming I haven't already. But to care whether others are vaxxed or not has always been outright stupidity, or worse.

View attachment 1374399

So with 6+ million deaths around the world, what exactly is your threshold for something being dangerous?

I caught it in October, I was double jabbed. In regards to dangerous, it wasn't a near death experience for me, it was a bad one though. I was in my late 20s. I didn't know I had it until I couldn't speak more than 4 words without coughing and gasping for air. I was on all fours in my bedroom coughing up liquids, liquid coming from my nose, struggling to breathe. I had a COVID test two days before it was negative, but I knew it wasn't a normal flu.

Went off to hospital, obviously got a positive test result there, was able to breathe on my own, I had developed pneumonia, it was everywhere on my lungs. I was in hospital for 10 days, I still suffer breathing issues, I can't wear a face mask anywhere, I take asthma medication.

The doctors said that when I got to hospital and the x-rays came back that I was in the early stages of the disease and I could potentially get more sick. Bloody frightening hearing that, I'm lucky that I was young, that's for sure.

As I said I take asthma medication regularly, my breathing is heavily impacted, I can't play sports anymore, due to fear of breathing issues and my taste has definitely changed.

So for me, it's dangerous.

So we have the arbitrary 7 days quarantine, and we're all allegedly right as rain after that, yet health dept says if you have ANY symptoms, no matter how mild, you must stay isolated and the ABC this morning says MOST people are no longer contagious by day 10 from first onset of symptoms.

Sent a txt last night to my employer saying Thursday at this stage. Still got a runny nose and the odd sneeze/cough.

Day 6 for me (37M) today. It's not been a particularly fun experience. Triple Vacc'd. Felt like absolute rubbish for 3-4 days. Driest cough imaginable and pretty exhausted from minimal activity. Have had a myriad of odd symptoms, including skin feeling like it was sunburnt all over.

Partner (35F) who has an autoimmune disease has basically had the same symptoms 10-20% worse. Northern hospital have been incredible in checking on her and providing things to make her recovery better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

halloween squad GIF by Live Kelly and Ryan

I’m 38, triple jabbed. I’m 14 days into it. The acute phase was moderate, I had some breathing issues and felt very unwell for about a week. But what I’m finding just as difficult are the lingering symptoms that keep hanging around. I tried to go back to work today but had to come home because I have fatigue, stomach pains and dizziness. I don’t know if this means that it’s dangerous or not, but it’s disruptive and is going to make it hard to pay rent after two weeks off, and more days off to come.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Finally tested negative after losing Easter and Anzac weekends to isolation testing positive at easter, I am finally free.
I realise that I didn't have to test again but my partner is compromised due to medication. My symptoms were all the standard ones sore throat, sneezing, fatigue etc. Happy she didn't get it as she's getting her 4th jab next month which will be great.

The first couple days we thought it was allergies as I get them quite often and was sneezing everywhere and tested when I got a sore throat (I didn't leave the house in this time however). I have no doubt the vaccines helped protect her given that this happened, since then we have been extremely cautious just in case and continued to keep seperate until a negative test.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back