So How Dangerous is COVID Really?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 27, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Any of the January infected cohort still getting migraines a few months on?

My isolation period was fairly mild, but the persistent migraines and fatigue since is getting annoying.

Hopefully this ba.4 doesnt cause mass reinfections

Gruffles

Club Legend
Feb 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
Any of the January infected cohort still getting migraines a few months on?

My isolation period was fairly mild, but the persistent migraines and fatigue since is getting annoying.

Hopefully this ba.4 doesnt cause mass reinfections

I had 2 weeks of daily migraine like headache post infection, but localised to just behind my right eye. I'd wake up feeling OK then migraine hit at about 10.30am and would stay until I'd go to sleep. Then it just stopped one day. Work has been hectic all year so I couldn't say if my fatigue was due to the covid infection or because I came back from it to chaos at work.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Finally had my experience with the Rona.

Wife vomiting all day 2 Fridays ago. She's pregnant but she felt so crap we thought she must have had more than severe morning sickness.
I catch it Sunday night after dinner with my parents. Vomit twice before midnight. Have the chills for a while. Anzac Day I write off by just saying in bed.
Tuesday I'm fine but our son had a vomit overnight and slept horribly so I stayed home with him.

Wednesday everything is back to normal. Telling everybody how gross that stomach bug was but it was gone pretty quickly.
Get home and wife has a cough but has a history of bronchitis, so weren't too concerned. Told her to take a Covid test anyway, just to make sure since she's pregnant and all. Tests positive. I do one just because it's the right thing to do and test positive as well, despite being completely back to full health by this point. Son tests negative.

So then we have a week at home with a toddler who doesn't understand why we can't leave. For his and our mental sanity we have to a few times. Just for walks, drives around and a trip to an empty playground when nothing would stop him screaming and scratching at the front door all Saturday afternoon.

I test negative by Monday morning which is of no surprise. Wife still has a line but feels fine by this point. Son never tested positive.

My wife and I both never got boosters. She was concerned about being pregnant and getting it. I had a bad reaction to my second shot and never felt comfortable getting it.

In the past 2 years (since we got locked up) I've had gastro, the flu and strep throat. I can comfortably confirm that Covid was 4th for severity. I'd happily take it again as an illness over those other 3. I absolutely won't deal with the mental strain of isolating at home for a week again though. For a virus that I wouldn't rate as a bad one.

My biggest fear in all of this was my Dad catching it, due to 2 bouts of cancer (including lung) over the past decade.
He caught it from the dinner we had together (we're guessing). He's had a bit of a chest infection and upset stomach like my Wife and I had. Other than that he's doing really well.

I'm firmly of the view at this point that the mandatory stay at home measures need to be relaxed. It's easy to navigate not going to work or getting groceries delivered etc. But there shouldn't be anything stopping people from accessing their outside environment as long as they are being sensible about it. Especially for people who are asymptomatic.
Walks.
Fishing.
Swimming.
Drives.

Anything that can be achieved outside with minimal personal contact should be made available to anybody who tests positive and isn't suffering from symptoms. As a start.

Lions time

Debutant
Sep 8, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
are you ******* idiots still claiming its just the flu?

To be fair … It’s not just us

Gates explained, “We didn’t understand that it’s a fairly low fatality rate & that it’s a disease mainly in the elderly, kind of like flu is, although a bit different than that.”

Regarding the vaccines, Gates said, “once Omicron comes along, the vaccine is not reducing transmission, hardly at all, particularly about three or four months after you take the vaccine.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

it’s a fairly low fatality rate
Fatality rate isn't the only metric.

The hardcore anti-vax and anti-mandate people spread these sorts of quotes without acknowledging all of the other damage.

Hospitals get swamped by this thing. No two ways about it.

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vintage

Club Legend
Mar 5, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fatality rate isn't the only metric.

The hardcore anti-vax and anti-mandate people spread these sorts of quotes without acknowledging all of the other damage.

Hospitals get swamped by this thing. No two ways about it.
Stats from WA today - 27% of Covid patients in hospital are unvaxed, despite the fact they only make up 1% of the population.

pretty clear evidence (again) that while vaccine might not reduce likelihood of infection that much, it significantly reduces likelihood of severe disease.

We‘d have 26% less people taking up hospital beds if they were all vaxed .

exit

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
52, unvaxxed. Was like a very mild flu, not even a sore throat. Over it in 3 days.
Had some lingering chest congestion for about a week but not bad.

Run Too Far

Rookie
Nov 18, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Finally got the dreaded, lethal rona a couple months back. 40 yo unvaxxed. Had a sore throat and fever day 1, smashed the water and sleep, fever gone 2nd day. It was over by day 3, felt fine. No lingering after effects whatsoever.

Nov 27, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
66 people dead today, which would equate to 24k dead a year making it in the top couple if not the leading cause of death in Australia. And over 25 times more deaths than the worst flu year on record. This despite the high vaccination rates and available treatments.

Yeah, not deadly at all.

But muh freedumz!

Due to the fact it’s extremely unlikely to kill younger people everyone has moved on. Yes it’s sad for our at risk elderly and immunocompromised but nobody gives a stuff anymore. Even telling people to wear a mask is considered scandalous now.

if those 66 deaths were teenagers and kids we’d be having a different conversation.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
Due to the fact it’s extremely unlikely to kill younger people everyone has moved on. Yes it’s sad for our at risk elderly and immunocompromised but nobody gives a stuff anymore. Even telling people to wear a mask is considered scandalous now.

if those 66 deaths were teenagers and kids we’d be having a different conversation.
derp GIF

Istina

Debutant
Apr 25, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
52, unvaxxed. Was like a very mild flu, not even a sore throat. Over it in 3 days.
Had some lingering chest congestion for about a week but not bad.
Interesting stuff. Unvaccinated myself. Every single flu I've ever had has started with a sore throat and I've had them all in winter. My last two flus have been in summer ('19 & '21) but no sore throat. Maybe I've had corona and survived it!

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
66 people dead today, which would equate to 24k dead a year making it in the top couple if not the leading cause of death in Australia. And over 25 times more deaths than the worst flu year on record. This despite the high vaccination rates and available treatments.

Yeah, not deadly at all.

But muh freedumz!
Almost all would be Omicron, rather than Delta too, I presume.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back