So, how did we do in the Draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Turky

Team Captain
Nov 18, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
One thing that has me a little worried is that some of our new draftees seem to be a little on the lightweight side. Barass in particular at 193 cm and 81 kg seems to be about 10kg too light to be an effective tall defender. This makes me remember Tony Notte who was not untalented, but just too lightly built for the AFL. I hope that I am either wrong in this estimation or Barass can put on some weight during the off season.
Brass will be fine with putting on weight. The elite training and dieting resume will have him bulking in no time. But give him a couple years for him to maintain that weight. And I also believe the only reason that he can't keep any weight on him is because he's constantly growing. So once he stops growing in height he should definitely be able to put on a decent amount of weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
Big difference between Tony Notte who was drafted at 70kg and Barrass who is 82kg. Size comparison would be Harry Taylor who was 88kg when drafted by Geelong as a 21 year old. By all accounts Barrass is still growing as well, so he's not someone who's filled out much at all.

eagles_4_life

Team Captain
May 15, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
The thing about watching highlight packages is everyone looks good . We dont see enough colts games to have a clue .
2 years ago I saw blaine wilson and jeremy mcgovern play blinders against essondon and freo in that preseason cup that gave an indication that our depth was good . Mark lecra , nikoski and kennedy all were injured yet we did very well in 2012 , 2012 the whole team performed well , by the end of the season we were flag favourites for next year . 2013 started with a horror goal kicking conversion and despite dominating games the goal kicking became a Hoodoo mental wall the team never got over , the confidence broke and the team deflated .. I always believed the grand finals we played in 2005 and 2006 the players played out of their skins ( beyond natural abilities ) for woosha , apart from Judd who was in his prime . St Kilda and Adelaide were the top 2 teams both those years .

Who can say what next year will bring , With a fit Natnui and midfield , kennedy, darling , lecra to recieve the domination of Nic Nat who knows , the confidence could return and everyone looks and plays better . Then this draft will look better because they can develop in a successful side .. you just have to look at Melbourne to see good young players drafted in a poor side dont flourish or look like they have flourished ...

Having said all this . I am positive about this years draft selections and only the future will prove if it was a good draft ... It has a good feel about it to me .
What st Kilda? Mate top two was us and Adelaide followed by Sydney both years and freo in 06 Adelaide's problem was us couldn't get past us and Sydney with there horrible flood we were always 50/50. Although I still maintain the afl wanted Sydney to win in 05 and gave them every opportunity I've Hall playing when he shouldn't have, the lck of free kick at the end our own injuries in the lead up Braun, Rojo and Kerr in game. Terrible calls by whoosh not playing our leading goal kickers in matera and lynch but playing gardiner.

Nov 15, 2013
Here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Yes
What st Kilda? Mate top two was us and Adelaide followed by Sydney both years and freo in 06 Adelaide's problem was us couldn't get past us and Sydney with there horrible flood we were always 50/50. Although I still maintain the afl wanted Sydney to win in 05 and gave them every opportunity I've Hall playing when he shouldn't have, the lck of free kick at the end our own injuries in the lead up Braun, Rojo and Kerr in game. Terrible calls by whoosh not playing our leading goal kickers in matera and lynch but playing gardiner.

In 2005 Sydney went to melbourne as underdogs and played st kilda who were favourites obviously having the home final St Kilda were considered the better team all year . West Coast had to travel to Adelaide to play in a final , obviously you get home finals for performing better ..
Sydney and West Coast both upsets in 2005 admittedly st kilda dropped off in 2006 but my point being west coast upset adelaide in 2005 and 2006 because in most peoples opinion and the ladder in those years up until the finals is that Adelaide were better .

Nov 15, 2013
Here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Yes
In 2005 Sydney went to melbourne as underdogs and played st kilda who were favourites obviously having the home final St Kilda were considered the better team all year . West Coast had to travel to Adelaide to play in a final , obviously you get home finals for performing better ..
Sydney and West Coast both upsets in 2005 admittedly st kilda dropped off in 2006 but my point being west coast upset adelaide in 2005 and 2006 because in most peoples opinion and the ladder in those years up until the finals is that Adelaide were better .

Sorry my mistake ... in 2005 st kilda beat adelaide in adelaide in the first final .. thats how st kilda got a home final when they played sydney ... anyway St kilda were our bogey team at that time because they used to thrash us and I thought Adelaide were on top of ladder because they were better than us that year .

eagles_4_life

Team Captain
May 15, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
We lost the minor premiership to Adelaide in the last round of the year after being 1st for most of the year in 05 in 06 we were the premiers as well as minor premiers. I remember st Kilda being alright when they had hammil, Gehrig and that guy who just retired from hawks name escapes me right now but like I said 05 and 06 us and Adelaide were the two top teams. Sydney were a little below but made the finals similar to collingwood in early 2000's where port couldn't beat them

Sep 25, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Lol, looks like they stuck Sheed's head on Hill's body.

newdrafteeshero.jpg

Shreds neck is.... almost Swift like :eek:

Eagle87

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2005
Bangkok
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subi, Celtics, Pats, Sox
Sorry my mistake ... in 2005 st kilda beat adelaide in adelaide in the first final .. thats how st kilda got a home final when they played sydney ... anyway St kilda were our bogey team at that time because they used to thrash us and I thought Adelaide were on top of ladder because they were better than us that year .

One of the criticisms of Neil Craig was he built a game style that didn't stand up in finals.

The reality is we had to beat them in Adelaide in 2006 because we lost to Sydney in Perth.

The fact we did beat them and in fact came back from behind at half time (based on one if the finest halfs of Ben Cousins career where he willed us through the game) suggests we were better when it mattered.

St Kilda didn't have the midfield or ruck strength to beat us and lost all 3 games played in 2005 & 2006, including a win at Docklands late in 2006.

We were the best side in those years and we struggled with Sydney primarily because their gameplan was very good and our midfield supremacy was less damaging cos of their "flood".

That said we still win in 2005 if Banfield goals instead of points when we were all over them late and if Kerr didn't go down.

Arguing we weren't in the best 2 and we just had guys playing above themselves for Woosh reinvents history

Nov 15, 2013
Here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Yes
Yeah but st Kilda flogged Adelaide in Adelaide in their first final in 2005 , and we were flogged by geelong in round 21 and beaten at home by Adelaide in round 22 .. the whole season we played out of our skins to just win games and come from behind . I pretty sure it was the year we were beng flogged by carlton and geelong and we had massive comebacks .. it didn't feel like we were the best team as far as skills but the best as far as passion that year .

Feb 1, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah but st Kilda flogged Adelaide in Adelaide in their first final in 2005 , and we were flogged by geelong in round 21 and beaten at home by Adelaide in round 22 .. the whole season we played out of our skins to just win games and come from behind . I pretty sure it was the year we were beng flogged by carlton and geelong and we had massive comebacks .. it didn't feel like we were the best team as far as skills but the best as far as passion that year .
It was 06 we had all the big comebacks for sure. Geelong game being the greatest comeback game in our history in my opinion.

Masto

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
^ Glad to see an investment in youth. Not sure what Woosha was thinking the last few years bringing in players like Morton and Dalziell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TOA.

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
^ Glad to see an investment in youth. Not sure what Woosha was thinking the last few years bringing in players like Morton and Dalziell.

In Woosh's defence we were looking to push for a premiership and Morton, Bennell and Hill were all under 24 and cost us basically nothing

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
The issue is whether the guy we wanted was the smart choice. We won't know for a while. But Scharenberg & Aish were available at 6 ..... They both have a chance to be elite players.... If they end up at that level and Sheed doesn't then we blew it.

At this stage the jury remains out - we didn't give up nothing - we gave up a choice between Sheed and those 2 guys.
The argument is only valid if you suppose some form of precognition was available and not used. If I am buying a house, and have to choose between 2, and I chose the best for me, then it burns down, I haven't made the `wrong` choice. I made the right choice, later, in an unrelated incident, I had bad luck. The bad luck doesn't invalidate the choice.

If Sheeds gets run over by a car, or suffers and injury, or personal problems prevent him developing as a footballer, this does not make him the wrong choice right now.

People keep saying we have to wait a few years to see if the right draft decisions were made, but waiting lets us know if we had a good outcome from the draft decisions, whether they were good decisions or not we decide now. I think they are good draft decisions. If they all die tomorrow, they become unlucky draft decisions, not bad ones.

Eagle87

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2005
Bangkok
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subi, Celtics, Pats, Sox
The argument is only valid if you suppose some form of precognition was available and not used. If I am buying a house, and have to choose between 2, and I chose the best for me, then it burns down, I haven't made the `wrong` choice. I made the right choice, later, in an unrelated incident, I had bad luck. The bad luck doesn't invalidate the choice.

If Sheeds gets run over by a car, or suffers and injury, or personal problems prevent him developing as a footballer, this does not make him the wrong choice right now.

People keep saying we have to wait a few years to see if the right draft decisions were made, but waiting lets us know if we had a good outcome from the draft decisions, whether they were good decisions or not we decide now. I think they are good draft decisions. If they all die tomorrow, they become unlucky draft decisions, not bad ones.

We made a decision to go against choosing higher rated players to choose a lower rated player for some, as yet, unexplained reason.

Collingwood took the exact opposition position.

There is a measurable here and that is the outcome of those choices for both sides.

Assuming there is no death or disability; Aish, Schareberg & Sheed will be AFL players if, say, Aish becomes a star and Sheed a plodder we cocked up ....

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
We made a decision to go against choosing higher rated players to choose a lower rated player for some, as yet, unexplained reason.

Collingwood took the exact opposition position.

There is a measurable here and that is the outcome of those choices for both sides.

Assuming there is no death or disability; Aish, Schareberg & Sheed will be AFL players if, say, Aish becomes a star and Sheed a plodder we cocked up ....
Thats a valid position to take now on the decision. My issue is with people judging the decisions based on events occurring after the draft that were not predictable at the time of the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back