So, how did we do in the Draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 23, 2007
continental shelf
AFL Club
West Coast
Whilst I fully agree that an A+ player is worth more than a B+ and a B (and you have a better chance of getting said A+ player at the pointy end of the draft) there are 2 points worth noting here.

1) WC need list rejuvenation that can only come with extra picks and particularly extra picks within the top 30 of the draft.
2) Whilst I have a personal opinion that Scharenberg was the 2nd best player in the draft, the simple fact is that 4 other drafting teams thought otherwise. If he or Aish were cut and dried above others then they would have got selected at 2 and 3 but they didn't so the general consensus is that neither Aish nor Scharenberg are A+ players as this years crop isn't likely to contain that amount of A+ quality.

There was no doubt a plateau containing 7-8 players including Sheed, and WC took a gamble that in hindsight made perfect sense.

Yep. Eagles recruiters executed their plan well. Credit to them for that. Time will tell if it was the right plan.

Shmiddy15

Club Legend
Sep 4, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
honestly I feel that if we had of had pick 6 we would have just taken sheed anyway. All the mail was that he was our man, so to me it is really a case of sheed vs sheed + karpany. If our recruiters were indeed dead set on sheed (which they deny, but of course they would) then karpany is just a bonus.

Eagle87

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2005
Bangkok
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subi, Celtics, Pats, Sox
honestly I feel that if we had of had pick 6 we would have just taken sheed anyway. All the mail was that he was our man, so to me it is really a case of sheed vs sheed + karpany. If our recruiters were indeed dead set on sheed (which they deny, but of course they would) then karpany is just a bonus.

No doubt. But time will resolve whether he was the right guy and time will measure that against who we passed over by trading down...

I hope they made the right call

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
So we rated Karpany above Yeo ....

And we rated Sheed above Scharenberg & Aish ...

Cool.

We rated Sheed + Karpany above Scharenberg OR Aish.

Aish with shoulder issues and a ? on how he would go in the AFL with the closer physical attention, his contested possession numbers are not that of an A+ player.

Scharenberd had ? over foot fractures from over use, not a great sign for an 18 year old.

We needed a quality replacement for Kerr, we got one.

We've been chasing a agile small forward / pinch hitting mid for some time and we got that.

We also rated Yeo above Taylor.

Eagle87

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2005
Bangkok
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subi, Celtics, Pats, Sox
We rated Sheed + Karpany above Scharenberg OR Aish.

Aish with shoulder issues and a ? on how he would go in the AFL with the closer physical attention, his contested possession numbers are not that of an A+ player.

Scharenberd had ? over foot fractures from over use, not a great sign for an 18 year old.

We needed a quality replacement for Kerr, we got one.

We've been chasing a agile small forward / pinch hitting mid for some time and we got that.

We also rated Yeo above Taylor.

Welcome to 3 days ago ...

Despite the "issues" you raised those players were still rated above Sheed. If those issues prove to be overplayed they'd be rated well above Sheed, as they were all year.

As I've said, time will tell if it's the right decision but you wandering in days later to restate the bleeding obvious doesn't add much. As usual. :)

SwiftforPM

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2009
Broome WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Welcome to 3 days ago ...

Despite the "issues" you raised those players were still rated above Sheed. If those issues prove to be overplayed they'd be rated well above Sheed, as they were all year.

As I've said, time will tell if it's the right decision but you wandering in days later to restate the bleeding obvious doesn't add much. As usual. :)
Thanks for telling all of us, that time will tell if our recruiting was good, who would have thought? Visionary as usual.

Eagle87

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2005
Bangkok
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subi, Celtics, Pats, Sox
Thanks for telling all of us, that time will tell if our recruiting was good, who would have thought? Visionary as usual.

Swift is back. Nice to see the scars have finally healed...

In the context of comments in the thread it's a summary for Obeanie as he/she struggles to keep up (as evidenced by his/her last post).

My more detailed reasons for my concerns about our strategy and why, at this point, the odds favour it being found a bad strategy are contained earlier in the thread.

You could read those and comment. But years of history suggests you prefer smart arse 3 to 20 word "witty" responses instead of actual reading, thinking and responding ...

Have a lovely evening :)

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Swift is back. Nice to see the scars have finally healed...

In the context of comments in the thread it's a summary for Obeanie as he/she struggles to keep up (as evidenced by his/her last post).

My more detailed reasons for my concerns about our strategy and why, at this point, the odds favour it being found a bad strategy are contained earlier in the thread.

You could read those and comment. But years of history suggests you prefer smart arse 3 to 20 word "witty" responses instead of actual reading, thinking and responding ...

Have a lovely evening :)

His / her???

Pleeeeease, don't tell me you are getting that desperate to petty points scoring by questioning the sex of another poster.:confused: Seriously how old are you?

Keep posting 87, you are very entertaining. The more you post the bigger goose you come across as.:thumbsu:

Terribly sorry I missed your posts over the past couple of days, too busy work 12 hour days at the office.

Eagle87

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2005
Bangkok
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subi, Celtics, Pats, Sox
His / her???

Pleeeeease, don't tell me you are getting that desperate to petty points scoring by questioning the sex of another poster.:confused: Seriously how old are you?

Keep posting 87, you are very entertaining. The more you post the bigger goose you come across as.:thumbsu:

Terribly sorry I missed your posts over the past couple of days, too busy work 12 hour days at the office.

Settle sir/madam ....

I've previously assumed posters were blokes and been shot down for that assumption... so I was just covering all bases. You overreact like a girl :p better?

I work substantially more than 12 hour days, certainly this week ... 2 mins of keeping up on posts isn't that much of a stretch ...

You done embarrassing yourself with cliches; incorrect assumptions and vacuous analysis yet or you want to keep going?

Actually drive thru would be busy now; you better get back to it. Can I have fries with that thanks? :)

Lenny316

Team Captain
Dec 5, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Just joined 1st post. From Adelaide Supporter since 92 Ohhhh yehhh i jumped on the bandwagon. I'm really happy with every decision made since end of season. Sam butler lucky though. Sheedy's left boot is a weapon of mass destruction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lenny316

Team Captain
Dec 5, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeh boys was only 5 in 92. Chose Lenny to go along with the Simpsons theme. Thought you guys would grill me on Sam butler comment

ROYAL EAGLE

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
Yeh boys was only 5 in 92. Chose Lenny to go along with the Simpsons theme. Thought you guys would grill me on Sam butler comment

No it was a good comment and welcome to the sight.
Sammy Butler is on his last legs, his lack of speed and his willingness to hold onto the ball to long before getting
of a kick, is seriously jeopardizing his career.
2014 is probably his last year on the list.
He's been a good servant of the club, and is one of the most popular players on the list.

Oneiros

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, San Jose Sharks
No doubt. But time will resolve whether he was the right guy and time will measure that against who we passed over by trading down...

I hope they made the right call

Not necessarily, drafting (as we all know from mocking other teams drafting disasters, including our own) is about a balance of probabilities. Even a player who is a cut and dried better prospect could do an ACL or achilles in his first pre-season and never properly recover. Just because we don't take a player, and they end up outshining the players we picked (and almost inevitably someone gets a 2nd or 3rd round diamond in the rough that outshines half the Top 10 of his draft year, showing what a crapshoot this can be) doesn't mean that that player was the safer or better option at the time.

I think we've done as well out of this as could be managed.

LordHaart

Club Legend
Mar 27, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast

Rated - by other clubs. Each club has different needs, otherwise everyone would just pick "best available" and we'd know the draft order weeks in advance. In this case, I think the club wanted a relatively guaranteed inside midfielder vs two prospects who are possibly better all-round players for their positions but who don't fill as great a need. Yes, it's fair to say we gave up ground by trading down from 6 to 11 but I don't actually think we were hurt by that move in the end, and we nabbed Karpany in the process so I'd call it a win.

And speaking of injury possibilities, hopefully none of the discussed players are injured but clearly having 2 midfield prospects means less risk of a total writeoff than 1.

Eagle87

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2005
Bangkok
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subi, Celtics, Pats, Sox
Rated - by other clubs. Each club has different needs, otherwise everyone would just pick "best available" and we'd know the draft order weeks in advance. In this case, I think the club wanted a relatively guaranteed inside midfielder vs two prospects who are possibly better all-round players for their positions but who don't fill as great a need. Yes, it's fair to say we gave up ground by trading down from 6 to 11 but I don't actually think we were hurt by that move in the end, and we nabbed Karpany in the process so I'd call it a win.

And speaking of injury possibilities, hopefully none of the discussed players are injured but clearly having 2 midfield prospects means less risk of a total writeoff than 1.

Which part of "time will tell" are folk struggling with?

Karpany + Sheed v Aish or Scharenberg is what we decided to do and I hope it works out. I'm worried because I believe both Aish & Scharenberg can be elite and that's less likely with the 2 we got. And we need elite.

But time will tell ....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back