Draft Review 2020 - Revisit the 2020 AFL Draft

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
It’s fine if you think the meaning has changed, but bottom age has always referred to players in the TAC/NAB league that are ineligible for the draft.

It’s never been used the way you suggest. If it were where is the line drawn? July? October?

It’s semantics and largely unimportant in the grand scheme of things, but no draft eligible players are considered “bottom agers”

It's been the way I say for many years. Where have you been?

Idk where the cut off is, I'm not making the rules. Closer to November than July I'd say.

It's a factor in elite sport for people doing the drafting and scouting.

As it says above there seems to be statistically proof 'bottom ages' are more successful too

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
But he was top age in his draft year. It is relevant it's a factor when drafting.

Lol - you’re so wrong and good posters are trying to educate you. Lift.

This from the Age recently:

Will Phillips - NORTH MELBOURNE
Small/medium midfielder
Oakleigh Chargers / Beverley Hills JFC / Caulfield Grammar
Height: 180cm. Weight: 80kg
A prolific ball winner and burst onto the national stage at Under 16s level in 2018 winning Victoria Metro’s MVP as well as All-Australian honours averaging 27.3 possessions as an inside midfielder. His agility, two way running, clean hands and vision are elite along with his breakaway speed. Starred as a bottom aged player for Oakleigh Chargers last year.

Now show me anywhere that describes Balta - being born in October as a bottom age player.

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Lol - you’re so wrong and good posters are trying to educate you. Lift.

This from the Age recently:

Will Phillips - NORTH MELBOURNE
Small/medium midfielder
Oakleigh Chargers / Beverley Hills JFC / Caulfield Grammar
Height: 180cm. Weight: 80kg
A prolific ball winner and burst onto the national stage at Under 16s level in 2018 winning Victoria Metro’s MVP as well as All-Australian honours averaging 27.3 possessions as an inside midfielder. His agility, two way running, clean hands and vision are elite along with his breakaway speed. Starred as a bottom aged player for Oakleigh Chargers last year.

Now show me anywhere that describes Balta - being born in October as a bottom age player.

I can give you many examples of balta or bolton for example, being described bottom agers in the draft years.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Do some research before posting rubbish.

Just in the top 10 - Raynor, Brayshaw, Dow, Cerra, Coffield & Naughton are all born in October or later.

Anything like the Rubbish you post ?

regarding research how is your research regarding the bolton / collingwood thing going ?

Yes in the youngest 10 players out of 70+ drafted in his year .
pretty much proves my point and is in the bottom age of players drafted.

this is really way too easy its like taking candy from a baby ' Or should i say beating north melbourne'

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Anything like the Rubbish you post ?

regarding research how is your research regarding the bolton / collingwood thing going ?

Yes in the youngest 10 players out of 70+ drafted in his year .
pretty much proves my point and is in the bottom age of players drafted.

this is really way too easy its like taking candy from a baby ' Or should i say beating north melbourne'

Wow - so many posters have tried to educate you and your Tiger mate.

Bottom age players are the youngest players in the draft!! You can’t make this up.

A bottom age player is a player in their bottom age year – in the AFL those who turn 17 by December 31st and are a year out from the draft. A top age player is in their top age year, which is the year they are draft eligible.

Draft experts and journalists use the phrase pretty consistently, e.g. 'X caught the eye of recruiters in 10 games as a bottom age player in 2018'. Our draft experts here on BigFooty use it the same way (that's why they're called experts – first sign of a non-expert is misusing the jargon).

At any rate, it seems you're all clear on what each other meant, so this discussion is basically just a semantic one that is bordering on ad hom.

Let's try and aim a little higher shall we?
grahams_hierarchy_of_disagreement-svg-1.png

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
A bottom age player is a player in their bottom age year – in the AFL those who turn 17 by December 31st and are a year out from the draft. A top age player is in their top age year, which is the year they are draft eligible.

Draft experts and journalists use the phrase pretty consistently, e.g. 'X caught the eye of recruiters in 10 games as a bottom age player in 2018'. Our draft experts here on BigFooty use it the same way (that's why they're called experts – first sign of a non-expert is misusing the jargon).

At any rate, it seems you're all clear on what each other meant, so this discussion is basically just a semantic one that is bordering on ad hom.

Let's try and aim a little higher shall we?
View attachment 1068717

Thank you Lore!!!

Now it’s settled we don’t need anymore posts on the “bottom age” debate.

Thank you Lore!!!

Now it’s settled we don’t need anymore posts on the “bottom age” debate.
Or if you must debate it, stick to the top three levels of the hierarchy of disagreement, like go and actually craft an argument to refute the central point with some actual evidence... 🤦‍♀️

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Or if you must debate it, stick to the top three levels of the hierarchy of disagreement, like go and actually craft an argument to refute the central point with some actual evidence... 🤦‍♀️

Actual evidence like this?

“Fifteen players selected to the latest All Australian team are eligible for the 2011 national draft, while 'bottom-aged' players Sam Mayes and Lachie Whitfield will be eligible for the draft in 2012”

Sam was born in May and Lachie July.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
It'll be tough work given the number of times a younger player in a draft pool has been termed bottom age
Lore has cleared it up. Maybe now you have been updated you can correct the errors you see going forward.

You can refer to Lores post as actual evidence if you get any push back. Cheers

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Lore has cleared it up. Maybe now you have been updated you can correct the errors you see going forward.

You can refer to Lores post as actual evidence if you get any push back. Cheers

Here is a carton mod using it in the younger player sense. Multiple times then explaining it.

There are literally 100s of examples. (Jack carroll)

Lore, I have acknowledged it is used too to describe a non eligible, player too.

Bottom aged player with no clear point of difference (no elite athletic traits). Had only recently moved to the midfield in an effort to improve his draft standing (tall mids are valued more than undersized KPPs).

From all reports he interviewed well and is a solid citizen.

He's a good mover, who is solid all round (courage, can take a mark, fantastic contested numbers, good disposal, high possession getter, fast enough). He's still 17 (December 20 birthday) so he doesnt really get much more 'bottom ager' than Jack.

We were in the market for a smooth moving, balanced mid with a good contested game. I really like this pick - I reckon with another few years under his belt to fill out, he's going to be a regular for us.

Plenty of upside too.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
It's really not. Google is my friend.

“Bottom age” boomed last year as we had little footy to go off in 2020 and had to reference what most draftees did in their bottom age year. Players like Phillips held their high rankings due to what they did in 2019.

Will be really interesting to see what the re-do 2020 thread looks like down the track. Especially with little to no footy from the Vic kids.

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
“Bottom age” boomed last year as we had little footy to go off in 2020 and had to reference what most draftees did in their bottom age year. Players like Phillips held their high rankings due to what they did in 2019.

Will be really interesting to see what the re-do 2020 thread looks like down the track. Especially with little to no footy from the Vic kids.

It was well and truly trending when bolton and balta were tearing up the training track. Trust me on that one.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
It was well and truly trending when bolton and balta were tearing up the training track. Trust me on that one.
Yeah I also saw the term being incorrectly used by Tiger posters.

I found it bizarre that players born a couple of months apart was a point of difference. Does anyone really care if a player was born in August or November?? It was used in one of the re-do threads. Crazy.

Actual evidence like this?

“Fifteen players selected to the latest All Australian team are eligible for the 2011 national draft, while 'bottom-aged' players Sam Mayes and Lachie Whitfield will be eligible for the draft in 2012”

Sam was born in May and Lachie July.
It's based on draft eligibility – draft eligibility for the 2011 mini-draft was different to a usual draft, in that particular case the cut-off was if they turned 17 before 30 April 2011 they would be eligible. So you have an AA team made up of 2011 eligible players, 2011 mini-draft eligible players, a zone selection, and two players who weren't eligible at all until 2012.

Fifteen players selected to the latest All Australian team are eligible for the 2011 national draft, while 'bottom-aged' players Sam Mayes and Lachie Whitfield will be eligible for the draft in 2012.

Four players - Brad Crouch, Jaeger O’Meara, Ben Kennedy and Brodie Grundy - all turned 17 before April 30, 2011, and can nominate before August 1 this year for the 'mini draft' that is part of the GWS Giants' entry conditions for the 2012 season.

One player, Northern Territorian Jed Anderson, is zoned to GWS and has already played for the club in the NEAFL competition. Anderson decided to return to Darwin earlier this year, but will re-join the Giants ahead of their inaugural season.

So we have 15 who were eligible in the 2011 ND:
Mitchell Grigg Jan 1993
Michael Talia Feb 1993
Brody Mihocek Feb 1993
Billy Longer May 1993
Clay Smith May 1993
Jonathon Patton May 1993
Dom Tyson June 1993
Alex Forster July 1993
Brandon Ellis Aug 1993
Chad Wingard July 1993
Will Hoskin-Elliott Sept 1993
Toby Greene Sept 1993
Taylor Adams Sept 1993
Stephen Coniglio Dec 1993
John McKenzie

One zoned to GWS in advance:
Jed Anderson Feb 1994

Four eligible for the 2011 mini-draft:
Brad Crouch Jan 1994
Jaeger O’Meara Feb 1994
Ben Kennedy Mar 1994
Brodie Grundy Apr 1994

Two under age players who weren't eligible until 2012 ND:
Sam Mayes May 1994
Lachie Whitfield July 1994

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
It's based on draft eligibility – draft eligibility for the 2011 mini-draft was different to a usual draft, in that particular case the cut-off was if they turned 17 before 30 April 2011 they would be eligible. So you have an AA team made up of 2011 eligible players, 2011 mini-draft eligible players, a zone selection, and two players who weren't eligible at all until 2012.

So we have 15 who were eligible in the 2011 ND:
Mitchell Grigg Jan 1993
Michael Talia Feb 1993
Brody Mihocek Feb 1993
Billy Longer May 1993
Clay Smith May 1993
Jonathon Patton May 1993
Dom Tyson June 1993
Alex Forster July 1993
Brandon Ellis Aug 1993
Chad Wingard July 1993
Will Hoskin-Elliott Sept 1993
Toby Greene Sept 1993
Taylor Adams Sept 1993
Stephen Coniglio Dec 1993
John McKenzie

One zoned to GWS in advance:
Jed Anderson Feb 1994

Four eligible for the 2011 mini-draft:
Brad Crouch Jan 1994
Jaeger O’Meara Feb 1994
Ben Kennedy Mar 1994
Brodie Grundy Apr 1994

Two under age players who weren't eligible until 2012 ND:
Sam Mayes May 1994
Lachie Whitfield July 1994
This is a better example of the term “bottom age”

“Rankine has done just about all you can do as a bottom-age player in 2017 – he starred for South Australia in the Under-18 Championships, was named an All Australian (the only bottom-aged player in the team), and kicked 13 goals from 10 matches at senior SANFL level for West Adelaide in 2017.“

Back