So how long will it be before we’re actually a top, feared and unstoppable team - like we were in the olden days?

Remove this Banner Ad

Well they didn't until now.......

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Trading for two first rounders and leaving a bunch of players out of contract a good hint.

Ah the "olden days". I remember them well. Takes me back to 1935 and the boy Bunton won one of his 3 Brownlows and we were mid table with 8 wins and a draw and 9 losses. The Pies beat South in the GF . Bob Pratt booted 97 in the H&A season.

Oh wait you're talking about North. Won the spoon that year with one win and 17 losses and a percentage of 65.1. Mind you the Mayblooms and the Bulldogs were not much better ending up 10th and 11th on the ladder and winning 5 and 2 games respectively.

Not sure any North supporter should aspire to be back in the "olden days".

Cool Kangas

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 2, 2010
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ah the "olden days". I remember them well. Takes me back to 1935 and the boy Bunton won one of his 3 Brownlows and we were mid table with 8 wins and a draw and 9 losses. The Pies beat South in the GF . Bob Pratt booted 97 in the H&A season.

Oh wait you're talking about North. Won the spoon that year with one win and 17 losses and a percentage of 65.1. Mind you the Mayblooms and the Bulldogs were not much better ending up 10th and 11th on the ladder and winning 5 and 2 games respectively.

90s....the olden days 😜

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Back in those days you could have had your 2nd through to 24th beer when you were allowed to take a case into the ground.

Went to the '84 second semi * v Hawks with my b-i-l. Remember they bought in the rule you could buy only 2 cans but they opened them in front of you ? Him and 4 mates had 24 opened cans at the first bounce. Big day 👍
Bloody good game too.

Last edited:

Cool Kangas

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 2, 2010
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Silly thread. Dominance is only in hindsight
Everything you learn from the past is hindsight is it not? What has dominance got to do with that? We were a well coached, well drilled team back in the day. I want that to be the case again. I don’t think that’s too much to ask for and I think it’s achievable but...

....in the face of this inequitable bullshit competition, overall success for the little guys like us might be a thing of the past. I mean FFS Collingwood get every other Friday or Thursday night game very ****ing week. When’s the last time we got a Friday night game? I’m actually sick of it. Rant over.

(yeah I know I went off on a tangent there but whatever...)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cool Kangas

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 2, 2010
AFL Club
North Melbourne
How long will it be before we’re actually a top, feared and unstoppable team,
The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind
The answer is blowing in the wind.

780A76EF-306A-4053-88F7-37BD2C046CA0.gif

DunderHead

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If we continue to draft 4 every year and of those 4 (plus any trades in players) we score 2 A/B grade player we’d need six years of very lucky drafting to build on what we already have and put us in sustained top four contention.

I reckon we currently have 10 that are 22 and under I am reasonably confident will be here in six years and are good contributors.

Key call outs are that we have decent numbers in the forward half and centreline but really only EVW and Hayden in the backline that form part of this young group. Maybe that’s why we have sent Bonar back. Our lack of depth here will probably see one of Durdin/McKay being saved from the chop at some stage.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
When we get rid off the shinboner spirit. We need to have a winning mindset.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
These things turn around surprisingly quickly, it will actually be only 18 months until we are a contender who is feared by the comp.

Elimination Final 2016 (Rebuild day)

- Brown 56 games and emerging.
- Daw 25 games
- Turner had 21 games under his belt.
- Anderson & Dumont had just chalked up their 20th matches.
- Taylor Garner & Wood had only played 16 games.

- Simpkin, Vickers-Willis, McKay, Larkey, Zurhaar, & Durdin debuted.

- Walker, LDU, Ahern and Murphy debut

- Thomas, Scott, Taylor and Hayden debut.

- Mahony, Xerri and Hosie debut.

We have basically blooded or got games in to 19 players that I reckon look at home on an AFL field.

We have also brought in Polec, Pittard, Josh Walker, Bonar and Hall in that period, and all are good players when up and firing.

Perez, Comben & Crocker are still waiting their turn.

Brown, Anderson, Daw, Garner, Simpkin, Larkey and Zurhaar have all shown that at their best, they can shape the outcomes of AFL matches.

The list development is going well, it's just that the game plan and list balance needs some tweaking.

What was Syd Barker like back then?

Im big on moving a good portion of our games back to the MCG.
All 4 of our flags saw us win 3 finals at the ground on each of those successful campaigns.

I’m bullish on this going forward. We need to become familiar and comfortable with the ground and it’s continually absence from our calendar will play a major impact on any success we have going forward.

barnrokn

Club Legend
Aug 1, 2017
Straightouttanthmelb
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Melbourne

Dude the 70's are the good ol days
U come out here in chains or something?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back